SP - F12 A Single Blade In The Night (Echos of the Mind Part 2)

It had been some time since Calrex stayed an entire night out on the sixth floor, attempting to train and become stronger to keep up with all of the people he suspected had obtained unique skills. The thought of it still weighed on his mind to some level, but not as much as it had been a few nights ago. He still hadn't heard word from Teayre about whether or not she succeeded in her rumor mission, but the fact that she was still alive in her contact list gave him some comfort. He gave a heavy sigh as he appeared in the settlement of Lazaro, promptly donning the Grand Chariot as he exited out of the gates. With a swipe of his finger he sent yet another message to Teayre to keep her updated on his location.

To: Teayre
Subject: Training on the Twelfth Floor

Hey, hope things are going alright with your mission. I'm on the twelfth floor now. The sixth floor didn't really yield much in terms of suitable opponents, so I'm now trying to take on some more powerful creatures in hopes of getting stronger. Don't worry, I'm not aiming to force myself to stay out all night again like I did a few nights ago. I'll catch up to you soon.

As the message sent he gave a small sigh, closing his eyes. He felt his mind focus on only one thing, and one thing only.

"I've got to get stronger..."

Stepping out into the marshlands he only uttered one more phrase before falling silent.

Calrex_Fierce.png

"...Let's go..."

Edited by Calrex

Calrex wasted no time in bypassing all of the areas surrounding the settlement of Lazaro as he headed further and further out into the field zone. By the time he had even started looking around the safe area was far out of sight. Only the quiet sounds of the swamp, with the occasional roar of a monster, could be heard as the Ultramarine Knight moved through the marshlands.

"I'm going to play this smart, but if I'm going to get stronger I can't keep fighting the smaller enemies I've been taking on as of late. This isn't a material gathering excursion. This is a test to myself to try and push my limits without going over. If things get rough, I'll take a step back and rest. But for now I can't be sitting around while the others are busy getting stronger. There's no way for me to gain any form of skill or item that's going to boost my abilities further at the moment, so the only thing I can do is strengthen the ones I have. My Charge and Heavy Armor skills aren't grandmastered yet, and neither is my Meditation or Martial Arts skills. I can at least start there"

Drawing the Grand Blade he removed the sheath from the back of his hip as he impaled the scabbard into the ground, walking away from it as the item dissipated into crystals. With a small sigh his eyes narrowed as he focused the determination in himself. Raising his sword high he unleashed his <<Howl>> skill, the Grand Chariot: Legacy becoming surrounded by the light blue aura and chains effect before exploding in a percussive blast.

"Come on, show me what you've got..."

ID: 37418
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3) = 13 (+2 Damage)
Mob Dice: 5 (Evasion +4) = 1
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 35 Remaining)

In response to Calrex's technique a creature emerged from the swamps. It wasn't as large as the crocodile that he and Ssendom had fought the last time he was on the floor, but he figured that taking on a similar sized creature would only be problematic and not beneficial to his training. The Ultramarine Knight was deathly silent as he watched the creature fully emerge from the swamp in front of him, its health bar appearing as it indicated its name, <<Raloc, Prince of the Crocs>>.

"Heh, first the King of the Swamps, now the Prince of the Crocs. Well I can certainly guess that the creatures on this floor are in some form of hierarchy..."

"Roc..."

His peregrine falcon familiar appeared in a flash of light, the bird giving a concerned look at Calrex, who looked up and nodded understandingly, "I know I'm acting insensible right now, but right now it's just what feels right. I'll be sure to keep myself alive, but I have to do this."

As his familiar hovered overhead he looked forward to face the creature, rushing forward with explosive force as he activated both <<Charge>> and <<Meteor Break>>, striking the oversized reptile with powerful force. While he didn't give out a battle cry his mouth opened as if he was, concealed by the appearance of the Grand Chariot: Legacy. Leaping upwards he descended with a powerful falling slash, taking off almost half of the monster's health.

HP List
Calrex: 
189/189
   Energy: 35/46 (-11)

Enemies:
Raloc, Prince of the Crocs: 107/200 (10+1+2 DMG * 11 Art  - 50 MIT = 93 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37419
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3) = 13 (+2 Damage)
Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +4) = 5 (+1 Damage)
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 25 Remaining)

Immediately trying to follow his opening strike with yet another attack Calrex watched as the oversized crocodile sunk its jaws around half of his body, giving a good chomp before tossing him into the air. Unlike the past times, where he had at the least gritted his teeth to endure the strike, he seemed overly calm as he kept his eyes on the creature's head. As he was tossed into the air the Ultramarine Knight quickly reoriented himself, quickly descending down on to the creature, the Grand Blade alight once again with the glow of the <<Meteor Break>> Sword Art.

Unleashing his barrage of attacks Calrex slammed his sword forcefully into the creature's head, knocking it into the ground while continuing his attack until he finished with the powerful vertical strike, knocking the oversized monster into the water below before he leapt back, landing on the ground right in front of it.

"I guess this is still not enough. Sorry to provoke you out of nowhere, but now it seems you're in my way..."

HP List
Calrex: 182/189 (45+2 DMG - 40 MIT = 7 Minimum Damage)
   Energy: 25/46 (-11+1)

Enemies:
Raloc, Prince of the Crocs:
 25/200 (10+2 DMG * 11 Art - 50 MIT = 82 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37432
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4 (Disregarded Due to Meditation)
Craft Dice: 10 
Mob Dice: 2 (Evasion +4) = -2
<<Meditation>> Activated (Negative Status Effects Removed, 5% HP Recovered / 1 Energy Recovered / 26 Remaining)

Deciding to recover his health while he prepared for his finishing attack Calrex closed his eyes for a second as he saw the crocodile's mouth pass by his head, remaining silent and unmoving as he gave a calming breath. His <<Meditation>> skill activated as his health recovered back to full. Opening his eyes he turned around casually to face the creature, leaning back slightly as he reached 90 degrees, turning his head to face the rest of the way, "So much for your critical strike..."

Turning the rest of the way to face the oversized creature he twirled the Grand Blade into a hammer grip, ready to execute his finishing attack.

HP List
Calrex: 189/189 (+9 HP)
   Energy: 26/46 (+1)

Enemies:
25/200

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37437
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +3) = 9
Mob Dice: 1 (Evasion +4) = -3
Loot Dice: 20 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 23 (Bonus Loot)
Sword Art <<Howling Octave>> Activated (8 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 19 Remaining)

As Calrex rushed forward he activated his <<Howling Octave>> Sword Art as the Grand Blade became coated in the flaming orange glow of his attack. Rushing forward he unleashed the fierce barrage of eight strikes as he finished the attack with the down, up, down slash pattern that completed his combo. The slashes ripped into the oversized crocodile's exterior as the finishing blow left a huge split from the creature's shoulder all the way down to its chest before the monster dissipated into shards.

Giving a calming breath the bluenette flicked the Grand Blade to the side as he tightened his free hand into a tighter fist, "That was a tough fight, but not challenging enough. I need to push myself further..."

Loot List:
1 Material
Bonus Loot: 1 Material + 2000 col (Mob HP 200 * 10 col = 2000 col)

HP List
Calrex: 189/189
   Energy: 19/46 (-8+1)

Enemies:
 -5/200 (10 DMG * 8 Art - 50 MIT = 30 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

(2 Turns Until Full Energy Recharge)

Without taking a second to catch his breath Calrex turned back towards the swamplands and continued further away from the settlement. At this point the moon was only beginning to make its way up into the night sky, blanketing the area in a strange mix of black and light blue determining which areas of the environment was shadowed and which were in full exposure of the simulated planet's light.

Quietly continuing to move the bluenette gave a sigh as he put his hands into his pockets, "Outings like this certainly are lonesome after a while, but I guess it cant be helped. Oikawa's isolated himself from everyone, Teayre's busy trying to catch up to me, and everyone else seems busy with whatever they're doing. I guess the life of being a high level solo player can be a certainly lonely one at times."

(1 Turn Until Full Energy Recharge)

ID: 37473
Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +3) = 11
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 11 Remaining)

It seemed the destroying the monster which bore the title "Prince of the Crocs" had triggered some form of extra aggro as Calrex continued walking along. Using his <<Reveal>> skill he spotted that there was a larger reptile that was already coming towards him. It certainly wasn't as large as the creature he had just fought, but nonetheless would likely cause trouble if left alone.

Giving a small sigh he quickly flew forward using his <<Charge>> skill, accelerating to an almost blinding speed before he activated <<Meteor Break>>. Aided by his acceleration the opening tackle slammed into the creature with extra force as he unleashed the barrage of slashes, the Grand Blade alight with the shining golden glow of the skill before he knocked it back, coming down on it with yet another fierce slash.

The creature snapped its teeth as it tried to bite the Ultramarine Knight, but failed as the attack knocked away more than half of its health. Calrex gave a small sigh as he kept his eyes on the monster, "You're weaker than the one I just defeated. I don't have the time or energy to be wasting on you."

HP List
Calrex: 189/189
   Energy: 11/46 (-11+1)

Enemies:
Lesser Gator:
 66/150 (10+1 DMG * 11 Art - 37 MIT = 84 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37476
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +3) = 9
Loot Dice: 14 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 17
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 1 Remaining)

It seemed the creature was going to be persistent as it quickly launched forward and chomped down on Calrex's arm, attempting to perform the attack that many alligators use known as the "death spin." However, strength was related to stats within SAO, and the Ultramarine Knight's limb did not budge a single bit. The bluenette was quiet as he wrenched his arm free, knocking the creature back with a casual kick from the ground straight into the creature's gut.

"I said you're in my way..."

Flying forward he activated <<Meteor Break>> once again, bombarding the reptile with a relentless flurry of slashes and tackles before ending its life with a powerful falling slash. The creature burst into crystals as he gave a small sigh, lowering his arm, "Great...now I've got no energy remaining..."

Reflective of his current status Calrex felt his body grow weak as he dropped to a knee, keeping himself upright with his sword planted into the ground, "Darn it...looks like I'll need to rest for now..."

Loot List:
1 Material
Bonus Loot: 750 col (Mob HP 150 * 5 col = 750 col)

HP List
Calrex: 188/189 (36+2 DMG - 40 MIT = 1 Minimum DMG)
   Energy: 1/46 (-11+1)

Enemies:
Lesser Gator:
 -7/150 (10 DMG * 11 Art - 37 MIT = 73 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

(2 Posts Until Full Recharge, 1 Energy Recovered / 6 HP Recovered)

It was only a few seconds that Calrex was down on his knee catching his breath before he forcefully pushed himself to his feet. The movement was enough to make him stumble forward as he almost ended up with a faceful of water. Shifting his left leg as far forward as he could he caught himself as his head tilted down, masking his face save his partially open mouth as he gasped for breath. Remaining still for a few seconds he straightened himself before pushing onward.

"My energy will recover eventually. What won't is the passage of time. If I'm going to find more monsters to fight, I need to keep moving through the swamplands. There's no chance of a high level sub-floor boss monster spawning in these conditions, but at the least I can find some tougher creatures than that supposed prince of crocs."

HP List
Calrex: 188/189
   Energy: 2/46 (+1)

(1 Post Remaining Until Full Recharge)

Continuing further into the swamplands Calrex moved forward, although he felt his body wanting to simply collapse out of the lack of energy. However, he knew it would eventually be replenished, and it was because of this that he trudged onward. Underneath the emotionless face of the Grand Chariot: Legacy he gritted his teeth as he kept moving forward, "Further onward there should be stronger creatures to face..."

A single lightning bolt struck some distance off as the Ultramarine Knight entered into what was suspected to be more dangerous territory as he leaned against a nearby collection of moss and branches, giving heavy breaths. It had been a while since he worked himself up into a sweat, swapping out the full-body armor for the Grand Dragoon as he wiped the liquid from his brow. Looking up at the night sky he gave a sigh as he pushed himself to his feet, turning back towards the direction he was heading, picking up the Grand Blade as he moved onward silently.

(Energy Fully Recovered)

As his energy returned back to full Calrex felt his body become lighter. Straightening himself he kept the Grand Blade in a reverse grip for easier carry, moving further into the swamplands. At this point the moon had reached the highest point of its celestial path, shining its bright blue light from straight up above. However, this created a shifted pattern of shadows compared to what felt like a few hours ago.

"To think that we're only now getting close to unlocking the thirteenth floor...to think I'm going to be turning twenty-five soon. I wonder how Mom and Dad are doing? The last time I talked to them was a day or two before getting trapped in here. Well...I guess all I can do is keep going."

Moving past another series of marshes he stopped, turning his head slightly as he heard noises coming from behind, getting closer to him, "So...something has been following me this whole time..."

Turning around he made sure to activate his <<Night Vision>> and <<Reveal>>, readying his sword.

ID: 37742
Sword Art <<Lightning Fall>> Activated (14 Energy Used / 32 Remaining)

Emerging from the shadows were four creatures the Ultramarine Knight had not seen since the time he was scouting with Ariel and Teayre for the floor boss room. A herd of deer, but parts of their body appeared to have rotten down to the bone and muscle. Parts of their faces were peeling off, exposing the rows of teeth underneath. Giving a small sigh Calrex remained unfazed by the potentially disgusting sight, flipping his Grand Blade into a hammer grip, "More distractions..."

Activating <<Charge>> he flew forward before leaping upwards, activating <<Lightning Fall>> as he descended into the middle of the four creatures, impaling his sword into the earth. Discharging the electricity from the attack the bolts of lightning shot out and fried parts of each of the creatures, but the attack didn't do nearly as much damage as the blunette's more powerful Sword Arts.

The four undead deer immediately rushed forward as each came forward and bit a chunk of Calrex each, leaving chunks of his avatar missing, replacing them with red glowing wounds. Remaining silent he got to his feet as he leapt back to place all four into his field of view, "Tch...is this were a zombie survival game I would have just died. Good thing this isn't that genre."

HP List
Calrex: 185/189 (36+1(4) DMG - 40 (4) MIT = Minimum 1 DMG)
   Energy: 32/46 (-14)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
110/150 (10+1 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 40 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 2: 110/150 (10+1 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 40 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 3: 110/150 (10+1 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 40 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 4: 110/150 (10+1 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 40 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37762
Battle Dice: 3 (Accuracy +3) = 6
Mob Dice: 5 (Evasion +4) = 1
Sword Art <<Lightning Fall>> Activated (14 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 19 Remaining)

Leaping upwards once again like he was on a pogo stick Calrex moved skywards as he descended once again, reactivating <<Lightning Fall>> as he pierced the ground in almost the exact same spot he hit the last time, sending out the electrical energy into the four undead deer once again.

The four tried to bite yet another chunk out of the Ultramarine Knight once again, but this time he quickly leapt out of the way, avoiding their teeth as he quickly spun around and faced his foes, "Only got enough for one more Lightning Fall before I need to recover. Tch...is this really my limit? Well, the straight sword isn't exactly supposed to excel at any particular aspect of the arts, area of effect, stun, or otherwise. I guess it's a lot like me then..."

HP List
Calrex: 185/189
   Energy: 19/46 (-14+1)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
 73/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 2: 73/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 3: 73/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 4: 73/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37775
Sword Art <<Lightning Fall>> Activated (14 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 6 Remaining)

As the deer sawrmed in and tried to take yet another bite of Calrex he leapt up one last time, reactivating <<Lightning Fall>> as he descended he saw the large usable chunk of his energy bar finish as he impaled the Grand Blade into the ground, discharging the electricity outwards into the four monsters.

Extracting his sword from the ground he tried to leap back, but as he tried moving he felt his legs buckle for a second as he slid back rather than jumping, his sword arm falling limp for a second as he gave a heavy exhale, "Shoot...almost out of energy again. I need to rest up for now. Guess it's time to go on the defensive..."

HP List
Calrex: 185/189
   Energy: 6/46 (-14+1)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
 40/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 2: 40/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 3: 40/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)
Rotting Zambie 4: 40/150 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 37 MIT = 33 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37818
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +3) = 5 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +4) = 6 (+2 Damage)
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 7 Remaining)

As the undead deer swarmed in to strike once again Calrex prepared himself to dodge, but right as he did he felt his body suddenly become like lead, unwanting to move. Looking around he saw the crature close in and quickly deliver a series of deep bites into his avatar once again as he gritted his teeth. He wasn't sure if it was his mind or the game that was simulating the pain of the bites, but as the attacks completed he swung his arms to the side, tossing the creatures back.

"This is going on for too long. I've got to get my energy back soon so I can finish these things off!"

Looking up at his energy bar he saw that he was only halfway back to enough for another <<Lightning Fall>> Sword Art, meaning that he would need to survive another series of assaults before he charged back enough.

"Great...just my luck..."

HP List
Calrex: 181/189 (36+2(4) DMG - 40 (4) MIT = Minimum 1 DMG)
   Energy: 7/46 (+1)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
40/150
Rotting Zambie 2: 40/150
Rotting Zambie 3: 40/150
Rotting Zambie 4: 40/150

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37819
Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +3) = 11 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 8 Remaining)

It seemed that hurling the deer to the side had temporarily thrown them off balance as they struggled back to their feet. There was an opening to attack once again, but Calrex knew that he would be able to eliminate all of them with a single strike at his current energy level. The best technique he could use was <<Howling Octave>>, which would only take out one creature and leave him completely out of energy.

His eyes dimmed as he gave a calming breath, tightening his grip on the Grand Blade as he went down on one knee, giving a small sigh, "Is this really the best that I can do? Damn it all..."

"Tch...if this is really the limit of my strength..."

HP List
Calrex: 181/189
   Energy: 8/46 (+1)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
40/150

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37830
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +3) = 12 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
Mob Dice: 8 (Evasion +4) = 4
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered/ 9 Remaining)

"...maybe I'm not strong enough to survive..."

Hearing the depressing thought Calrex gave a small sigh as he closed his eyes. Since he did not attempt to dodge this time, the deers' AI seemed to have not predicted this action, flying past him. Straightening himself the bluenette gave a small sigh as he tightened the grip on the Grand Blade, flipping it into a reverse grip to make it easier. As the thoughts continued to fill his mind he seemed to have forgotten about the creatures trying to bite into his character as he looked down at his sword.

"I wish I could say I'm a little more reasonable than that...but I guess that's really the way I'm feeling right now. If I can't get stronger, if I can't keep staying by Teayre's side, watching her back and helping her through her troubles..."

Calrex_Doubt.png

"...maybe I don't deserve to see the end of this game..."

In spite of his thought Calrex's energy bar continued to climb, rising up yet again. It would still be some time before he could activate <<Lightning Fall>> once again, giving a small sigh.

"Now's not the time to be thinking these thoughts. I'm in the middle of combat. If it's one thing I cannot allow myself to do, it's to lose my head in the middle of combat. I can feel sorry for myself all I want once I'm out of danger...but I think I might be done after this battle is over, at least for the night..."

HP List
Calrex: 181/189
   Energy: 9/46 (+1)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
40/150

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37831
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +3) = 12 (Disregarded Due to Meditation)
Craft Dice: 11 (Second Level Recovery Activated)
Mob Dice: 3 (Evasion +4) = -1
<<Meditation>> Activated (9 HP Recovered / 1 Energy Recovered / 10 Remaining)

Weaving past yet another series of attacks from the undead creatures, Calrex gave a small sigh as he tried to force the thoughts of a few moments ago to the back of his mind. Keeping the Grand Blade in a reverse grip he kept his sword arm back, aiming to focus on avoiding the blows in the meantime in order to preserve his dodging ability.

Seeing an opening in the deers' attack Calrex quickly focused as he activated the second level of his <<Meditation>> skill, recovering the damage he had taken recently back to full. The parts of his avatar that were missing all seemed to replenish themselves, making him look no longer like some bite victim. He gave a small sigh as he saw his health return back to full as he looked back over at the four deer before taking a few steps back to preserve the distance gap.

HP List
Calrex: 189/189 (+9)
   Energy: 10/46 (+1)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
40/150

Edited by Calrex

ID: 37832
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3) = 13 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
Mob Dice: 7 (Evasion +4) = 3
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 11 Remaining)

As the deers recovered and rushed at Calrex once again it almost seemed like their decomposition had progressed even further as their jaws seemed even looser, stretching to try and incorporate even more into their mouths. Unfortunately their dangling jowls had no luck in latching onto the Ultramarine Knight as he weaved in and out of the path of their faces as he gave a calming breath.

"Just keep avoiding their attacks. Almost there..."

Calrex gave another breath as his eyes dimmed slightly further, tightening his grip on the Grand Blade as he flipped back, sliding across the ground as he touched down. His <<Acrobatics>> skill was beginning to function a little better again now that he had a decent amount of energy. Straightening his stance his head tilted down slightly, covering his eyes in a shadow as he awaited his opponent's next attack.

HP List
Calrex:
189/189
   Energy: 11/46 (+1)

Enemies:
Rotting Zambie 1:
40/150

Edited by Calrex