SP - F11 Call of the Waves <<Earning a Living>>

"Guess it's really time. I can't really put off this anymore, especially with the way things are now..."

Appearing in the settlement of Taft Calrex gave a small sigh, blowing some of his bangs out of his face. It wasn't long after that his peregrine falcon familiar, Roc, appeared in a similar flash of light. Today he was clad in his Grand Dragoon armor, which fit over his casual combat clothing. However, his condition was certainly in worse shape than the last time he visited. The dark circles under his eyes were certainly larger than before, definitely from lack of a good sleep.

"What was I doing here aga...oh right, I guess it's finally time to take up a profession. I'll still keep up my job as a material gatherer, but the extra materials you can gain from this quest will definitely help make up for the fact I can't one shot enemies anymore."

Giving a small sigh he looked around before heading towards the market area, looking around, "Now the question is what job I should take..."

As Calrex made his way through the marketplace he scanned each of the different shops' wares, seeing that there was an abundance of stores which provided gear, weapons, and consumables for players, but there was one thing that seemed missing from the seemingly endless selection of stores.

"Wait, there's really none of that particular profession active? Huh...the last three people I can think of who took the profession were Reu, Lindow, and Kalesh. I wonder how those three are doing."

Giving a small sigh he continued along, "I guess there's rea...wait..."

Looking over he saw a small shop against the wall of the city, filled with baskets upon baskets of fish. However, he could easily tell that the person selling was an NPC as he walked over, "Hi there. I guess I'm looking to take up a profession. Since there seems to be a lack of fishermen currently amongst the player stores, I figured I should get started filling that gap."

"Very well, so you want to be a fisherman huh? Alright then there's a few things you need to do before taking it up."

"Alright then, what would you have me do."

"Here, take this rod and head for the beach nearby here. I'll need you to try and catch some fish. Trust me it's no easy task."

"Very well."

Calrex gave a nod of thanks as he accepted the fishing pole the store keeper provided. However, before he left he realized something was off, "Um, excuse me, wouldn't I also need bait in order to lure in the fish?"

"That is up to you. Go ahead and gather things you find in the environment you would find suitable. You seem to have a good set of eyes, so I'm sure you'll find something good."

"Alright then."

Giving another nod he turned and started making his way out of the settlement.

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39195
Loot Dice: 15 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 18 (Materials Found)

"Alright, let's see, got to find bait. The most populated type of monsters on this floor are ants, but I don't think that would be very appetizing for larger fish. I need to find something decently meaty."

Giving a small sigh Calrex made his way through the forest that bordered the beach as he knelt down, "Well, fish like to go after worms. Might as well see if there's any around that I can possibly use."

It didn't take long. A few seconds after he began searching the bluenette looked to see that his peregrine falcon familiar had already caught a worm as Roc tugged his head to the side, pulling the tiny wriggling pink mass out of the dirt, "Well, I guess this is where our interests seem to fall in line. Nice work Roc."

As he reached over to grab the worm Roc seemed hesitant for a second, planning to suck down the worm as his meal, "Hey, we'll get you some better food in a bit. We're going to use these to catch some fish, which would probably be more appetizing than a single worm. Just hold on for now alright?"

The majestic falcon was silent for a few seconds before he released his beak from the worm. Calrex added it to his inventory before looking around, "Great, now I've got to find some more before I can actually start fishing."

Materials Found: 1

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39197
Loot Dice: 18 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 21 (Materials Found)

It was much long after the two found their first worm that Calrex was able to locate yet another worm as he dug through the ground. Feeling the small invertebrate try to wriggle away in his hand the bluenette gently closed it into a fist to trap it inside before lifting his hand out of the dirt. Confirming the worm was in his hand he swiped on his menu before adding it to his inventory.

He gave a small sigh, "It would be nice to have Teayre here, but I have a feeling this would be a rather boring ordeal to put her through. She's better off getting her sleep while I take care of this."

"Heh, I guess the only thing she might miss out is that I'll likely need to change out to my swim trunks when I actually get started fishing."

His cheeks tinged red for a second at the thought before shaking his head, "Come on Calrex snap out of it. The Obsessive Allure potion wore off, there's no need to be thinking random thoughts like that."

"I wonder if it left some kind of lasting effect on my psyche or something. I know that a few of Mari's potions had an addictive quality to them, but I thought that potion wasn't one of them."

Materials Found: 2

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39198
Loot Dice: 13 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 16 (Materials Found)

It seemed that the duo were on a roll as Roc walked over to Calrex with a side shuffle, setting yet another worm into his hand, "Nice work Roc. Alright, three worms should be enough for a practice run. Let's hope I get some decent catches."

Getting to his feet he patted his hands together a few times to knock off the remaining dirt before putting his hands into his jacket pockets, "Now, next thing is to head for the beach. I just hope I don't accidentally trigger that gigantic leviathan again. Sure I can take the hit, but it'll likely hinder my efforts to get this quest done."

Making his way through the trees he looked up as Roc took to the trees before flying up above, letting out a screech to show where he was in relation to the Ultramarine Knight.

"Alright, well that's good to know. I guess we're not too far now..."

Materials Found: 3

Edited by Calrex

After some time Calrex reached where Roc was circling overhead, the lush green of the trees giving way to the blue sky with the sparkling white sand below, "Guess I'm finally here. Alright then, guess I'd best get to work."

Swiping on his menu he produced the fishing rod that the NPC shop owner had given him as he walked to the edge of the sand. With one quick push he planted it upright in the grains as he swiped on his menu, "Guess I might as well relax and enoy the sun while I'm out here. If things go bad at least I've got enough time to re-equip any of my gear fairly quickly."

Pressing a button on his menu his casual combat clothing and the Grand Dragoon vanished in a flash of light as his avatar was covered in the light blue glow of an outfit change. As the light faded into a series of twinkling crystals the normally fully-clothed blue-haired player appeared wearing only a pair of basic dark blue male swim trunks. As he moved some of his hair out of the way he gave a small sigh as he felt the breeze blow across his shoulders, "The last time I was clothed like this was Lowenthal's party. Now it's only about a week out from my own to come around. I wonder if I should even concern myself with it and just focus on training. I know Meokka and I worked hard to get the materials for Teayre as a birthday present, but I guess I'm just not really a person to celebrate my own birthday either."

Putting a hand behind his head he looked over, seeing that Roc had landed on the sand next to him looking up as if reminding him why he was here, "Right, better get started on the fishing."

Walking over he grasped the fishing rod before removing it from the sand. Swiping on his menu he produced one of the worms that he had caught previously, attaching it to the hook, "Alright, here goes nothing."

Loosening enough of the line he began to make circles in the air, the circulations growing wider and wider until he eventually released the line, sending it into the water. Giving a calming breath he set the pole back into the sand before sitting down just behind it, crossing one leg under the other as he wrapped his arm around one of his knees as he waited for something to tug on the line.

Edited by Calrex

OOC: The first two pieces of bait are a test of the fisherman system.

IC:

ID: 39274
Loot Dice: 7 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 10 (Caught a soggy boot)

"Ok...this seems to be taking longer than I thought..."

Giving a small sigh Calrex looked as he saw that the line was growing taught, "Did something finally bite?"

Standing up he grasped the fishing line before reeling in his catch. However, as it emerged from the water he gave a small sigh. The supposed catch he had found was just a simple boot, "Who, how, and why would this be in the middle of the ocean?"

Tossing it over his head the boot landed soft in the sands, kicking up some of the dust-like particles as the bluenette stuck another worm on his line. Casting it out into the ocean once again he sat back down. Roc was busy chasing after some smaller sand crabs while the Ultramarine Knight was practicing as the two enjoyed the warmth of the area.

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39283
Loot Dice: 10 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 13 (Caught a soggy boot)

After a few more minutes of waiting Calrex gave another sigh. It was possible the area he was fishing in currently had nothing to be caught. Walking back over to his line he picked up the pole and reeled it back in after feeling another tug on the line.

Unfortunately, as he pulled it in yet another boot came into view. With another disappointed sigh he looked at it, "Well, I guess I caught the pair. I wonder if a pair of pants will come up next."

Tossing the boot behind him the bluenette stuck his last worm on the line before whipping it back into the ocean, planting the pole back into the ground as he sat back, "Maybe I'll let this one sit for a while. I might be getting ahead of myself when going for the line."

Edited by Calrex

After some time Calrex continued to wait, watching the fishing pole for any sign of movement. The act almost made it feel like he was waiting for something to happen that was never going to occur. It had gotten to a point where he rested his chin on his arm as he felt himself starting to go to sleep. Rubbing his eyes he shook his head before waking himself back up, "Come on, I've gotten more than enough sleep. There's no need to be passi..."

Right as he was about to finish his sentence the bluenette saw the fishing pole suddenly bend almost 90 degrees, as if something of significant size had bitten onto the line, "Alright, let's do this!"

Quickly grabbing the pole he swiped on his menu, equipping the Grand Dragoon armor. He figured he might be in for a fight if this thing was large enough. As the pauldrons and poleyns appeared it seemed to be an odd combination, since he was only wearing a pair of swimming trunks, on top of which was his barebones armor. Giving one last pull Calrex felt the line grow light as he looked to see what it was that had emerged from the ocean.

ID: 39288
Battle Dice: 4 (Accuracy +3) = 7
Mob Dice: 2 (Evasion +4) = -2
Sword Art <<Meteor Break>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (11 Energy Used / 38 Remaining)

As the gigantic fish emerged from the waters Calrex quickly tossed the fishing pole aside, quickly grasping the Grand Blade as he rushed forward. His sword lit up with a golden glow as his <<Meteor Break>> Sword Art activated. Quickly powering up the attack with his <<Charge>> skill he quickly unleashed the barrage of attacks, knocking the creature to only a sliver of health remaining. At the same time he quickly avoided its snapping jaws as he leapt back, watching as the oversized bass flailed on the sand, "Alright, better finish this off."

HP List
Calrex:
 201/201
   Energy: 38/49 (-11)

Enemies:
Deep Diving Bass: 18/100 (10+2 DMG * 11 Art - 50 MIT = 82 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39289
Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +3) = 11
Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +4) = 6 (+2 Damage)
Loot Dice: 1 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 4 (No Bonus Loot Found)
Sword Art <<Deadly Sins>> Activated (7 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 32 Remaining)

As the fish flailed it managed to get enough momentum to launch itself at Calrex, aiming to try and swallow him up. At the same time the bluenette's sword glowed a dark purple as he activated <<Deadly Sins>>, rushing forward. The gigantic fish did manage to cause damage to him but its sheer size, but it was unable to capture him as the Ultramarine Knight unleashed his barrage of stabs, moving along the monster's side to form a pattern similar to the Big Dipper.

The fish hung in the air for a second before dissipating into shards as Calrex gave a sigh of relief, seeing that a single material had appeared from it, "Heh, guess luck really isn't in my side today. In any case, at least I managed to hook A fish. Although that one I can't tell if I got it out of luck, skill, or pity from the game."

Loot List:
1 Material

HP List
Calrex:
 201/201
   Energy: 38/49 (-11)

Enemies:
Deep Diving Bass-2/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

(2 Posts Until Full Recharge, 1 Recovered / 6 HP Recovered)

With the fish eliminated Calrex gave a small sigh as he swiped on his inventory. Underneath the Grand Dragoon his avatar began covered in a flash of light as his casual combat clothing reappeared beneath, the single pair of swimming trunks now back in his inventory. Looking down he checked his inventory, seeing the one piece of material he had gathered from the fish, "Well, I guess I'd better make my way back now. I can say I hooked one. If that show's I'm ready or not, we'll have to see."

Picking up the fishing pole the NPC had given him Calrex turned and began making his way through the forest. As he did he looked to see that Roc was still at the shoreline, looking over at him. Shaking his head the bluenette turned back and returned to the beach, "Yeah, you're right Roc. I forgot we need to get you some good. Alright then. Let's see what this bigger piece of food can do for bait."

Edited by Calrex

(1 Post Until Full Recharge)

ID: 39296
Loot Dice: 13 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 16 (Caught a small fish)
Craft Dice: 4 (Bad quality)

This time it seemed Calrex had gotten a bite as he pulled on the line. The struggle was weak on the opposite end, but at the least when he finished reeling his catch in it was an actual fish. Tiny, but alive and kicking. Removing the fish from the line he looked over to Roc, "I'm not the best when it comes to scents in this game just yet. Does it smell edible?"

As Roc got within a few inches of the fish he immediately hopped back, shaking his head as if to try and get the smell out of his nose. Calrex gave a sigh as he lifted it, only getting to chest level before the foul smell reached his nostrils. Tossing the fish aside he watched as it rest on the beach, giving a small sigh, "Guess we can't use it for anything then. Sorry Roc. Once we get back to Taft I'll buy you some snacks for the help."

Edited by Calrex

(Energy Fully Recovered)

Getting to his feet Calrex gave a small sigh as he turned around, this time Roc also following behind before flapping onto the Ultramarine Knight's shoulder, "Alright, let's get moving back. Better see what else we can accomplish before calling it a day."

Weaving through the trees the bluenette gave a small sigh as he emerged from the treeline on the opposite side, seeing the settlement of Taft come into view. Taking a single step out he remained still for a second before giving a calming breath, "No...if I left now this would be a huge waste of time. Roc..."

His peregrine falcon familiar looked at him before the Ultramarine Knight gave a nod, "Go ahead and head into town for now. I'll catch up. I'm going to gather some more things before we return to the fisherman."

Roc's eyes widened in surprise for a second before the bird of prey gave a nod, spreading its wings and flying into the settlement. Calrex turned and made his way back to the beach, drawing his sword, "Alright, let's see how evasive you are after this..."

(Roc temporarily leaves party, ACC reduced to +2)

Raising his sword high Calrex activated his <<Howl>> skill once again, similar to how he acted when he initially activated the special Leviathan monster that inhabited the ocean of this floor. Releasing the roar from his armor the bluenette watched as the ocean seemed to become alive with the waves as he gave a smirk, "Well, it's not exactly fishing, but at least this will help to gather some materials for when I do actually start this profession, although it will certainly be some time before I got to whatever level everyone else has their shops at."

ID: 39340
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +2) = 4 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
Mob Dice: 8 (Evasion +4) = 4
No Action Taken

Emerging from the water appeared to be four strange hybrids of a person and an octopus. Each had the upper body of a human, with a lower body composed entirely of tentacles, "Tch...why do I feel like I suddenly stumbled into some odd interpretation of the Little Mermaid?"

The four monsters fired their tentacles at the Ultramarine Knight. However, even though he didn't have Roc to boost his accuracy, his evasion was still ever present as he quickly lowered his body and weaved around the attacks almost as if he could see them coming minutes before they happened.

Keeping a strong grip on his sword he gave a calming breath, "Alright, I just need to focus on taking these four out and I'll be done with this."

HP List
Calrex: 201/201
   Energy: 49/49

Enemies:
Octoman 1:
100/100
Octoman 2: 100/100
Octoman 3: 100/100
Octoman 4: 100/100

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39346
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +2) = 8
Mob Dice: 6 (Evasion +4) = 2
Sword Art <<Lightning Fall>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (14 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 35 Remaining)

As Calrex weaved around yet another relentless barrage of the tentacles he leapt up into the air, activating <<Charge>> as he descended. During his fall the Grand Blade lit up with the electrical glow of his <<Lightning Fall>> Sword Art, becoming a crackling mass of energy until he reached the ground. Impaling his sword into the sand the lightning energy shot out, striking each of the four monsters before the attack concluded.

Extracting his sword he leapt back, giving a calming breath as he quickly kept track of his positioning inbetween the four creatures as he kept his blade trained on them, "Well, at least I've got enough energy to hopefully take these guys out."

HP List
Calrex: 201/201
   Energy: 35/49 (-14)

Enemies:
Octoman 1:
66/100 (10+2 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 34 DMG)
Octoman 2: 66/100 (10+2 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 34 DMG)
Octoman 3: 66/100 (10+2 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 34 DMG)
Octoman 4: 66/100 (10+2 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 34 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39348
Battle Dice: 7 (Accuracy +2) = 9
Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +4) = 5 (+1 Damage)
Sword Art <<Lightning Fall>> Activated (14 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 22 Remaining)

As Calrex readied himself to attack once again suddenly he felt something stick to his arm. Glancing down he saw that one of the tentacles the octopus-human hybrid monsters threw at him actually stuck to his limb with its suckers. Trying to pull it off Calrex felt another three stick to his other arm and legs as the four octomen began to circle around, wrapping him up in a bind. "Tch...of course this would happen. I swear this Kayaba must have some perverted interests sometimes."

Giving a calming breath he activated his <<Athletics>>, tapping into the extra strength from the skill as he pushed the appendages apart enough that he could leap upwards. Doing so dragged the four creatures behind him before he came around, activating <<Lightning Fall>> as he descended. As the electrical energy returned he shot past the monsters, the sparking electricity striking the creatures in mid-air as he shot past them, landing back on the ground. The discharge of energy seemed to disrupt the tentacles' grip on the bluenette's avatar as he was released, seeing a series of pock marks from where the suckers stuck to his body, "Tch, those will heal up in a little while. I'd better keep up the assault."

HP List
Calrex: 197/201 (33+1(4) DMG - 60(4) MIT = 4 Minimum DMG)
   Energy: 22/49 (-13+1)

Enemies:
Octoman 1:
46/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)
Octoman 2: 46/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)
Octoman 3: 46/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)
Octoman 4: 46/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39350
Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +2) = 8
Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +4) = 5 (+1 Damage)
Sword Art <<Lightning Fall>> Activated (14 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 9 Recovered)

Right as Calrex thought the attacks were over suddenly he felt the four bind him once again with their attacks, squeezing in an attempt to deal ongoing damage to the Ultramarine Knight. Luckily enough, his mitigation skill held fast, reducing the potential harm to minimum damage as he gave a calming breath, "Alright, now you four are just trying to irritate me."

Breaking free of their grasp once again Calrex leapt upwards once again, activating <<Lightning Fall>> for the third time as he descended, his electricity-charged sword descending as he pierced the ground, sending out the shockwave to the four monsters once again.

Looking up at his energy levels he saw it was running low once again. He didn't have enough energy to use his most powerful area of effect Sword Art once again, meaning he would have to wait until his energy recharged.

HP List
Calrex: 193/201 (33+1(4) DMG - 60(4) MIT = 4 Minimum DMG)
   Energy: 9/49 (-13+1)

Enemies:
Octoman 1:
26/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)
Octoman 2: 26/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)
Octoman 3: 26/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)
Octoman 4: 26/100 (10 DMG * 7 Art - 50 MIT = 20 DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39353
Battle Dice: 10 (Accuracy +3) = 13 (Disregarded Due to Item Switch
Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +2) = 8 (+2 Damage / Thorns Activation)
Item Switch (Switched Tide Pendant for Grand Chariot, Evasion Dropped to +2, Loot Dice Enhancement Dropped to +2, Gained +2 (6) Mitigation Gained +1 Thorns) / 1 Energy Recovered)

"Tch, if I'm going to be playing the waiting game I'm better off increasing my defenses for now..."

Swiping on his menu the Tide Pendant vanished into his inventory as the Grand Dragoon seemed to disappear under a flash of light. As the light faded the form of Calrex was completely encapsulated by an item he had used in a significant amount of time, the <<Grand Chariot>>.

"Heh, guess you're still watching my back even though you've gone into hiding Oikawa."

Feeling the four octomen's tentacles attach to his body once again he gave a calming breath. Right as he had expected the old armor began covered in chains as his <<Thorns>> enhancement activated, the chains bursting and bombarding the monsters surrounding him while knocking away the creatures.

"If only I could keep the enhancements of this armor while still wearing all of my current gear. It would certainly be useful. Well, one can only hope, heh."

HP List
Calrex: 189/201 (33+2(4) DMG - 66(4) MIT = 4 Minimum DMG)
   Energy: 10/49 (+1)

Enemies:
Octoman 1:
24/100 (2 Thorns DMG)
Octoman 2: 24/100 (2 Thorns DMG)
Octoman 3: 24/100 (2 Thorns DMG)
Octoman 4: 24/100 (2 Thorns DMG)

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39359
Battle Dice: 3 (Accuracy +2) = 5 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
Mob Dice: 4 (Evasion +2) = 2
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 11 Remaining)

With Calrex donning the Grand Chariot the battle seemed to have taken a shift as the octomen were incapable of getting another grip on Calrex as he quickly weaved around each strike. He wasn't as mobile as he was a few moments ago, but what he lost in speed he made up for in a boost of mitigation and retaliatory abilities.

As yet another tentacle tried to whip at him he rolled to the side, seeing his energy continue to charge up as he game a calming breath. "This will keep on going until I manage to wear these guys down enough to finish them off with another Lightning Fall."

HP List
Calrex: 189/201
   Energy: 11/49 (+1)

Enemies:
Octoman 1:
24/100
Octoman 2: 24/100
Octoman 3: 24/100
Octoman 4: 24/100

Edited by Calrex

ID: 39363
Battle Dice: 5 (Accuracy +2) = 7 (Disregarded Due to No Action Taken)
Mob Dice: 1 (Evasion +2) = -1
No Action Taken (1 Energy Recovered / 12 Remaining)

As the octomen attempted yet another failed attack on the Ultramarine Knight Calrex gave a calming breath as he leapt to the side. Due to the face he was not using his maximum evasive capabilities, he wasn't fast enough to perform more acrobatic maneuvers like the high flips and leaps he had become used to during the time with his maxed stats armament, "In the end, this seems like a lessened switch compared to my old gear. But when it comes to recovering energy it might work better in order to continue wearing down an opponent's defenses."

Sliding across the sand a few feet before his momentum dispersed the bluenette gave a quick glance at the four monsters before peeking at his energy bar. Another flash passed by as a miniscule increment of the total returned, "This really drags on a battle doesn't it..."

HP List
Calrex: 189/201
   Energy: 12/49 (+1)

Enemies:
Octoman 1:
24/100
Octoman 2: 24/100
Octoman 3: 24/100
Octoman 4: 24/100

Edited by Calrex