SAO-RPG Player Killing Rules Discussion

It depends on what other rules are put in place for PKing, I guess. If the [new] method to become an orange player is through killing NPCs, it'd be kind of weird to allow other PCs to attack and kill them, so I'd imagine current orange players would be grandfathered into that. Although you could also say that becoming an orange player was something done at their own discretion, so it could go either way. Ideally though, death for PCs would be mostly limited to monsters, bosses, and quests, with the odd consensual pre-planned PK, in order to avoid unnecessary drama.

The only one I actually care about is question 3:

You should only be at risk of dying in a total loss duel.

As someone who actually likes dueling others, it'll be complete butt if I agree to a nice first strike or half loss duel and get assassinated. Those two modes should keep your helath from going past half regardless of how much damage you take. Sure, with the overhealth they can't one shot you.(well some can. I hate charge.) But they can manipulate the numbers to deal just enough damage the first time to keep going and overkill damage on the next turn.

5 hours ago, Seul said:

The only one I actually care about is question 3:

You should only be at risk of dying in a total loss duel.

As someone who actually likes dueling others, it'll be complete butt if I agree to a nice first strike or half loss duel and get assassinated. Those two modes should keep your helath from going past half regardless of how much damage you take. Sure, with the overhealth they can't one shot you.(well some can. I hate charge.) But they can manipulate the numbers to deal just enough damage the first time to keep going and overkill damage on the next turn.

Or maybe a 'safeguard' of sorts that gives a special 'duel' health over your own?

Or just use a Safeguard in your duel and do a first hit :P

In the lore, people only ever did first hit duels, because a crit could accidentally kill a player, even if it wasn't a total loss duel.

That said, we can make up our own rules if the lore directly conflicts with playability

1. What form should PK take? Defend your answer.

I think it could be both a duel of high stakes where the perma roller trumps all luck, and both a tool for character development.

2. Should PK be mutually agreed upon when involving two PC's?

yes unless the two are actually dueling to the death then the perma roller decides it. unless you are orange or red even seriously whats the point of being dark side if you don't constantly regret the decision of killing someone.

3. Should agreement to enter a duel, regardless of location, automatically mean that both duelling players are alright with the potential for PK?

Yes as in lower level players should refrain from dueling higher level players, however should an actual death duel be taking place some admins should be notified.

4. What threads should never be allowed to be PK in?

I dont know anything about the previous events as i just returned to the site but im going to say Shop threads, boss fights, certain quests, and OP's unless its accepting challengers sort of thing.

5. Any other PK relevant information you want to share?

Yes. i once abused the dueling system to score a PK while keeping a green cursor long ago, i know what i did was wrong whatever. I was really just testing how far i could take the system and turn it on it self at the expense of another players character. Even then there was a lot of confusion and debate over what to do with me. So i think PK's need to be more black and white rather than what the intentions behind a PK was.

Just an update for everyone.

PK Rules have been submitted in the Staff Section and the input offered here was considered. They are being discussed and debated and tweaked by the staff. When we're happy with them they will be posted in a discussion thread for everyone to weigh in on, discuss, and point out loopholes.

I hope to have that discussion thread up sometime this weekend, but that is a ROUGH timeline and not an exact one.