[PP-F11] The Ant Queen's Lair - Mini Dungeon

The crimson robed figure of the Crimson Blades commanding officer, and part of the leadership of the Knights of the Blood Oath, stood before the Cathedral in the teleportation plaza of the city of Taft on the eleventh floor. Long ago, when he had been a far smaller and more fresh faced player to Sword Art Online than he now was, Mack had briefly made the acquaintance of a blonde woman by the name of Lessa. Now that, he assumed at least, he had caught up to her on level it was time to repay a debt and help both of them level up. With a bit of luck. Mack's sources had informed him that there was a good sized mini dungeon in the forests surrounding Taft. Rumor had it that the dungeon was home to a boss known as the Ant Queen. No doubt the Ant Queen was the boss responsible for spawning all of the antmen that were the primary mobs on this floor.

While Mack was reasonably certain he could tackle the mini dungeon by himself, it was always wise to have back-up. That was where Lessa came in. He might have to split the loot with her, and she wasn't a member of the Knights of the Blood Oath, but this way was safer. So, Mack had turned over training of the rest of the Blades to his deputy commander, Macradon, for the day and now the stoic axeman was waiting on Lessa to make her appearance in the teleportation plaza in Taft so they could get the show on the road.

No doubt, his message had come as a surprise to her. The name Mack had not even registered in her mind as it danced across her display, and she had thought on it for a full half an hour before she recalled the young player from another lifetime ago. After doing a bit of research, she had uncovered that he was now a member of the prominent guild, Knights of the Blood Oath. It seemed the newbie had gone on to make a name for himself, a thought that certainly brought her some comfort. It was always nice to see a player grow, and it meant good things for Aincrad as a whole. The more players who found their way to a capable, battle-ready state, the better.

But at the same time, it also confused her. The pair had only met briefly, in passing, and they had not communicated since. Though she recalled offering him her name, and assuring him she would help if he ever need it, that had been nearly six months ago. Why now? And why would he not simply seek the help of one of his guild mates? Surely they would be more reliable than a bastard Brigadier, recently removed from Azure Brigade. But mixed parts curiosity and concern had convinced her to respond to his message, and soon after, navigate to his location.

As the heavily armored woman approached, she lifted a gauntleted hand in greeting. "Mack?" she inquired as she drew closer; actually seeing him made her wonder if she had the right person.

OOC: If you really are guildless now... and feel like joining another guild... KoBO might have a spot for ya. :)

"Yes," Mack rumbled in response to Lessa's question, drawing back the deep hood of the crimson cloak that was trimmed in white. "I run the Crimson Blades, the Strike Team for the Knights of the Blood Oath now," he continued. "I've left their training, for the day, to my deputy. Outside of Macradon they wouldn't last long in dealing with today's adventure," the Strike Team leader continued, reaching up a finger to run it along the bladed head of his bearded axe. "I've heard some rumors about a mini dungeon in the forests surrounding Taft, and I plan to clear it. I remembered you being a rather high leveled player from when we first met, and it's always good to have back-up when tackling one of the mini dungeons. We split all loot evenly, and we both reap the benefits of the bonus XP. Are you in?"

Dom was resting in a tree just above Mack and Lessa who met up with each other, listening in to the conversation he spoke up, "Well, I know I'd like to be in it." He chuckled knowing he probably got past the notice of the two fighters. Albeit he didn't much care if he truly did get past their notice, they managed to wake the sleeping Berserker up with their conversation. He turned a bit so he legs hung over the edge then hopped down landed powerfully on his feet without the need to crouch. He turned to look at Lessa noticing that she had decided to leave the guild with the Greatsword and after a previous talk had arranged for the weapon to be returned to the Berserker when possible. He dropped his menu and traded with her returning the Unique Greatsword Gram into his possession, "Now that this little ordeal is out of the way, Let me know the details on just how difficult this dungeon is going to be Mack, I yearn for a challenge." He chuckled.

As Ssendom made his appearance and ran a quick item trade with Lessa, the blonde woman decided she would prefer to back out of the adventure. "I guess it's another Ssendom and Mack sausage fest," the axe man replied in a dry tone as Ssendom received a weapon from Lessa and she took her leave. "As I was saying to Lessa, before she left, I've heard some rumors about a mini dungeon in the forests surrounding Taft, and I plan to clear it. We've cleared both the Butcher of the Sands and the Iron Guardian quests, and you're clearly a floor clearing fighter like myself. I could probably handle this by myself, even though the rumor is that it's the highest tiered mini-dungeon, still it's prudent to have back-up. We split all loot evenly, and we both reap the benefits of the bonus XP. Sound good?" Mack crossed his massive arms over his chest and waited for Ssendom to decide whether or not he was going to take part in the adventure.

Dom looked at Mack blankly who mentioned everything that he had told to Lessa, and in all honesty Dom needed the refresher since he didn't actually listen to a word the Red Beared man said, "Tough Mini-Dungeon? Such a thing exists? Man I've been needing something of challenge, I felt as though my skill was beginning to deteriorate." He chuckled as he cracked his neck and shoulders, he heard the details of the benefit from doing the mini dungeon and the share of loot. Dom sighed, "Honestly I have no need for Col but I have a pressing issue matter to accumulate as much material as I possibly can. How about at the end of the Dungeon you take all the Col for your Guild Hall, and I'll take all the materials for a contract order I have to satisfy on a weekly basis. Whataya say?" He asked the big bodied man, Dom's Hydra Skull was hiding his facial expressions but most of his tone could be inferred through his piercing red eyes.

OOC: Feel free to spawn basic mobs whenever and in whatever numbers you want. I have the mit and regen to be able to handle it.

"Deal," the ginger giant rumbled, after considering Ssendom's counter proposal for a moment. Mack extended his right hand to the Berserker to shake and, once the deal had been struck, Mack swiped his finger in the air in front of him and quickly tapped through the menus to send Ssendom a party invite. Once the hydra helmed warrior had accepted the party invite Mack spun neatly on his heal and began treking away from the western gate where Ssendom had met him and Lessa, before the blonde had turned back, the path they were on would take them out into the hills and mountains surrounding the city. "Supposedly, this dungeon is home to the Ant Queen that's responsible for producing most of the ant man warriors on this floor. Who knows, maybe killing her will have a negative impact on the number of mobs around Taft, though I doubt it."

Edited by Mack

Dom chuckled, "I don't care what the impact on anything else would be, as long I as I have my fair share of fun. It could destroy the world the world even, but something about slaying a massive beast always makes things fun." As they walked along a group of four ant men spawned in the path, he dropped his inventory to select the items he wanted the stats to be allotted from then rushed in with his blade ready to cleave through enemies. Four Antmen had spawned with the spears gripped tight as they readied for the Berserker. Seeing him bring his blade forward in a cleaving motion. Crushing a Tier 1 Perfect Damage Crystal in his hand to boost his damage but save some of the Tier twos he had. The Antmen placed their spears in a vertical fashion to stop his blade but their spears shaft's snapped in half to his brute raw strength instantly annihilating the entire group, slaying them all. He flipped his blade dropping it on his shoulder, "Easy peasy." He laughed.

Equipment Used:

Spoiler

Despair
Shining Icicle
Commandant's Pendant

Stats:
22 DMG
12 MIT
6 LD
3 ACC
2 EVA

ID: 53310 BD: 4+3=7 LD: 5+6=11

Dom 193/193 35/47 NRG -12 (Fight Blade)

AntSpearMen 1-4 98/98 24 MIT ((19+3)*6=132-24=108)

Dom's Total Loot: 1960 Col 4 Mats

Edited by Ssendom

"Yes, I've not forgotten our last duel," Mack rumbled in response to Ssendom's declaration that mowing through the four Antman Soldier mobs had been easy enough to accomplish. "I don't expect any of the mobs or even the boss monster we find at the end of this dungeon to give you too many difficulties," Mack continued, shouldering his axe over his right shoulder as the pair of them continued off in the direction of the dungeon. "I think I will save my energy reserves for when the fight is closer at hand though. It also occurs to me that if people see a high ranking member of the Azure Brigade and a high ranking member of the Knights of the Blood Oath wandering off together that tongues will wag. Our guilds aren't exactly the best of friends, are they?"

Dom turned his attention to Mack leaving mention of the poor guild ties between the Knights of the Blood Oath and the Azure Brigade, Dom simply scoffed, "If people want to look down upon me for being Azure, let them. I couldn't give a damn about the politics and diplomatic falling outs between the two guilds. The fact that people will speak about it in poor lighting, proves that there is a caste system in this world." He said with anger and animosity, "We're friends, and that's all that matters right? And some day I will need someone to cut me down when I can't control it anymore." He let his mouth slip, he closed his eyes once he said the words and immediately regretted the statement, "I am gonna be honest with you Mack. Everyone boasts about how great the Berserker Unique skill and what it can do for someone... But no one has ever told you the other side of the matter, something that only I truly know. And these words must never leave your lips." He told Mack, giving him a look of intensity and seriousness that only a few times had been seen on the relentless warrior of rage.

"I was referring more to the way people will talk to see one of the high ups in your guild palling around with one of the high ups in mine. There's undeniable friction there," Mack rumbled, listening to the big berserker's comments about guild politics and everything else in that vein of thinking. "Everything's stratified and everything's political. It's a big part of the reason why I merged the Blades with the Knights. I'm only in charge of Front Line combat and my assault team with the Knights. Everything is much simpler. I'm a soldier, in SAO and in the real world, I'm no politician. And yes, so far as I'm concerned we are friends or comrades, whichever term you prefer." Then, rather abruptly, the conversation took a rather morbid turn.

"I know what blood lust and blood rage are, I've seen them in the real world," the ginger giant allowed, shrugging his shoulders and trying to piece together everything that Ssendom was saying, though he suspected he knew the gist of what the berserker was getting at. "You can share, if you like, or not. The decision is yours, but I suspect I understand better than most given the things I've seen and done and the orders I've given that have resulted in the deaths of others outside this digital world. And, if you're saying what I think you're saying then let me know when the time comes. I will do it, if you ask that service from me or if I must to prevent you from harming innocent players though I confess, in the latter instance I think it likely that I would fall."

Dom looked at Mack and shook his head grimly, "I wish it were just an unending rage or blood lust... That would be easier to control than what it has done. The Unique Skill has a literal mind of it's own. You have the unyielding anger that constantly increases your power, but the Unique Skill itself begins to create voices in your head. Constantly whispering to you." He turned to Mack with a look of almost fearful intensity, some emotion that the man had never shown to anyone else in this world, "I was a stoic warrior who fought for my fellow person and seeked to get stronger, faster, better. But I got what I was searching for, now when I am around people I get words that run through that just says "Kill Them!" And the voices have been getting louder and more repetitive the more I work with this skill. It's also scary to note that I have no history of schizophrenia in my family." He stated as he turned back around and took a few steps away from Mack.

"Look, I think you know where this is going. Eventually I am going to be unable to hold back the voices in my head and it's going to make me do something I am gonna regret. And I doubt you, Macradon, or very many people would truly be able to stop me. If someone is going to fight me, they better be willing to risk their life to stop me. Because knowing me, I won't stand down from a good fight and will go till my blood no longer seeps from my body." He stepped further away looking into the woods that strode up the mountain side, gritting his teeth once more, "Too many people in this world need you Mack. Your sisters, your guildmates, many people. And I personally like you as a friend, so I suggest when I fully Berserk, that you stay far away and live. And if you should decide to pursue the Berserker's Rage... That you keep yourself surrounded by loved ones. You don't want to be alone with this." He mentioned to the Behemoth in cold brutal honesty, letting the Red-Headed Axe wielding Giant know exactly the type of mood Dom was truly in.

"You misunderstand me," Mack rumbled, spitting on the ground as they began the gradual ascent up into the mountains. "What I am saying is that if you wish for someone to stop you before you lose complete control and potentially injure or kill someone you truly love, if you desire to hold a duel for the skill in which you will not fight back and in which the berserker skill will be wagered, then I will help you," the red-headed man said in a calm even tone, a tone that carried no hint of any desire to either have the skill or carry the burden associated with it. "In short, if you wish to be executed and to pass the burden of the berserker on to another without the fear that someone you truly care for, like Kiru, might come to possess it then I will help you," the gigantic axe man sighed heavily. "I like you, I consider you a friend and a fellow soldier. But, I hardly think that either of us would describe the other as a best friend or ask the other to serve as Best Man at a wedding. What I am saying is if you should decide that you wish to go out on your own terms and without the fear of burdening those whom you truly care for and love with having to stop you, then I will help and accept the consequences. Most of the players in SAO are children, most have neither seen the things I have in the real world nor dealt given orders that resulted in the very real deaths of other people. If there comes a day when you wish to be free while you are still in control, then I will do it. Best to have someone do it that has killed before in the real world, even if not by choice. I will carry it, if it must be carried to protect others."

Dom shook his head, "No Mack you misunderstand me. I am not going to let someone else burden this skill... And if I am ready to go out on my own terms, then I will do so standing in front of a Floor Boss alone. That is how I wish to falter. I tell you if you pursue it, because I will never simply hand it over without the intent of bearing the burden myself. I can't let someone have the taste of the power it gives... It's a tainted one." He said. His tone showed complete honesty, as though he knows that letting someone else taste the power that the Berserker gave they would follow down the dark path that lead to death eventually. "I can hold my own and fight the voices in my head, but if someone is going to duel me they're going to show me respect and kill me in a true duel." He looked back at Mack with one eye open with an inquisitive nature, "And why is it you immediately brought up Kiru, hmm Mack?" He asked, changing his tone and attempting to change the topic all together with a grin.

OOC: I assume you have better LD boosts than I do. I have no LD boosts.

"If that is how you wish to die, I will do what I can to arrange it. Assuming I get to be completely in charge of planning another boss raid, when the one on Floor Fifteen goes well," Mack rumbled, drawing Invictus and shouldering the axe at his right shoulder as they continued to march through the steadily increasing foliage in the direction of the Ant Queen's sanctum. If Ssendom was hell bent on taking on a floor boss in a one on one duel, Mack wouldn't stand in his way. "But I won't allow your sacrifice to be in vain. We'll take a small assault team and make sure that it still counts for something. As for Kiru," Mack continued, changing the topic to something a bit happier. "I saw the way you were carrying her when you left the party. I didn't say anything, I was having my own... woman issues."

Ooc: oh yeah. That +6 is craycray.

Dom chuckled for a moment as Mack stated outright that he would allow Ssendom the right to end his life the way he wanted to. This world had taken a toll on the Berserker, and the Unique Skill itself was a curse to bear. He looked at the Red-Headed Behemoth, "Thank you Mack, I really appreciate it. And like I always say, Death before Dishonor." He said solemnly before sighing and returning back to the topic at hand, "Kiru and myself have nothing going on. She is a fellow Commandant, and a child in comparison to me. She merely fell asleep and I took her home, nothing more than that. Honest." He laughed as he told Mack about Kiru.

OOC: Mmm... them sweet sweet SP...

"So long as you're willing to allow a Strike Team to come with you, a few healers, cannons, and tanks then I'll do what I can to arrange a suitable death on your own terms," Mack rumbled, clapping Ssendom on the back heartily. "I won't allow you to sacrifice yourself in vain. Even you would be wiped out by most of these bosses, if you want to go out on your own terms, fine, but we'll still be using your sacrifice as a tool to clear a floor." As the topic of conversation rolled off in a different, less morbid direction, Mack shrugged his shoulders. "No one would blame you for wanting a bit of companionship. Admittedly, I don't know Kiru all that well, but she seems a nice enough woman all things considered."

OOC: Oh yeah... Noone has found more sub-dungeons than myself. Hopefully I get atleast a 12 or higher on the 20th post.

Dom laughed lightly, "If I were to stand up to a Floor Boss, you'd actually have to get everyone who would be fighting to stand back until either the boss dies, or my pixels finish dissipating. That will be hard to do, but I won't hold back from hitting them with my attacks." He continued to chuckle as Mack talked about not letting his sacrifice go in vain, then he went right back to the topic of Kiru. Dom sighed as Mack made mention of companionship, "Mack, you can somewhat see why I am not looking for companionship. I know where my life is leading to and what it will ultimately come out to be. I don't want to put anyone in that kind of risk or torture just to have to watch me die. I was taking Kiru home as though I were an older brother to her, since all the drama that's happened in her past. Hopefully she won't have to see me die." He mentioned and somewhat tried to inform his friend/teammate.

"I will order them to all stand in the back and do nothing, if the team has to comprise nothing but Knights of the Blood Oath and yourself and perhaps Tristan then so be it," Mack said with a shrug. He'd want at least one witness in that kind of situation to see that Ssendom was acting on his own and that the Knights hadn't butchered the berserker just for giggles. The last thing that was needed, or wanted, was a guild war between the Azure Brigade and the Knights of the Blood Oath. In all honesty, Mack wasn't completely sure which side would win that kind of a fight. The Knights had numbers, but the Brigade had a lot more overall firepower. "And I understand why you're not looking, but if you found someone to help keep you sane then you might not need to worry about the noble sacrifice. Also, according to the information I got from the broker we should be getting pretty close to the dungeon, you see anything?"

Dom kept his eyes peeled as best he could, but there just simply wasn't anything there for Dom to find. Even with his heightened skills of searching thanks in part to his Shining Icicle, there was still no obvious sign that a dungeon would lie near, "I think they're hiding that base of their's pretty well. Well we can choose, either we continue walking talking and hopefully fighting. Or we can call it here and search another day. Your choice." He informed Mack leaving the option of what to do in the Behemoth's hands. He looked back at Mack, "Well... It would be nice to end the loneliness, but nothing will happen between me and Kiru. She's a fellow Commandant and I watch over my Guildmates nonetheless." He spoke honestly.

ID: 54248 LD: 10+6=16(No Sub Dungeon... Sorry. We can go twenty more posts to try again.)

Edited by Ssendom