[PP - F6] The Climb, Pt.2 (Mack)

qTspiw1.png

«Floor 6»
7:14 AST

Bright flashes of light illuminated the sixth floor settlement, known simply as the aptly named "Amazon". The morning air was still cool with only slight hints of humidity beginning to form, the sun having not quite been capable of piercing the thick canopy just yet. He was thankful to be out of the desert floor before the heat set in, which surely would've made the unlikely duo's ambitious adventure that much more unbearable. Takao stretched his arms upward and exhaled a long, well deserved yawn. Their excursions through the floors was only an hour young, with plenty of more work to be done. "Looks like there's actually two of them on this floor," Takao said, whether to himself or to Mack if the latter had appeared through the gate-- he really hadn't been paying enough attention. "We can beat the heat again, if we're quick 'bout it."

"I'm less concerned about the heat here," the hulking warrior announced in his trademark growl. "You ever serve in the Amazon? I did a kick there working with the Colombian military to root out the remnants of FARC. I know the media says they're gone... but they really aren't. The heat's not nearly as bad as the humidity, let's get a move on. Hot and humid is oppressive as hell, send me to the Middle East any day," the axe man continued, shouldering Invictus and motioning for Takao to lead the way. "You find it, we kill it, and we go on about our business. If we really move, at this rate, we can knock this all out in a single day, given the time differential between the floors."

Takao raised an eyebrow as Mack began speaking, inquiring about some military service. "I'm eighteen and from Japan, dude." He said, scratching the side of his tilted head. The brunet certainly looked the part of being a teenager, which meant drawing any sort of comparison to Mack's military experience a far shot. "I uh... I did play that one old Vietnam Call of Duty game though. S'prolly not the same..." His voice trailed off as he began walking, eyebrows flicking upward as he mulled over what he wanted to say next. "Well... s'definitely not the same." Shoulders dropped into another shrug and he left it at that. "So uh, yeah. Gettin' that move on now." He said, bypassing the sights and attractions of the sixth floor's settlement in favour of delving straight into the wilderness.

"Not at all the same, however..." Mack trailed off for a moment as he fell into step with Takao and they headed out from the main settlement. "You want to see something highly amusing, watch trained Special Forces operators wearing nervegear and playing a first person shooter that isn't skill based. It's terrifying, and funny, all at the same time mostly because even the best players have real trouble dealing with guys that are trained for real world combat in that kind of a gaming situation. So no military, but doesn't Japan have compulsory military service in the Defense Force or something? I thought I read that somewhere." Mack shrugged his broad shoulders as he and Takao headed out into the jungle.

"I can imagine," Takao said, eyes practically glued to the map as they walked. They were fortunate enough for the road leading through the floor's various settlements to bring them close enough to their target, which afforded them some ease of mind as they walked. It was still the wilderness, however, so his wandering eyes glanced around every so often. "I can't really see the appeal in those realistic shooter VR games, never really had any desire to experience gettin' shot at before." His words were accompanied with a shrug of his shoulders. He didn't see the appeal in it, but others might have. After all, there were some radicals even in Sword Art Online who would seek to impede the frontliner's progress, simply because they liked the game. "They enforced conscription in World War Two, but nothin' after that. The Defense Force is voluntary otherwise. Also, I was seventeen when this all happened, 'n the enrollment age is eighteen."

"Ah, my mistake, learn something new everyday," the gigantic man muttered to himself. "I also keep forgetting that because I was on deployment out in the field, and missed the news, that I got logged into SAO considerably later than a lot of folks. Still, for getting a late start I don't think I've done too bad for myself," the red headed man said in a reflective sort of tone as Takao kept his face buried in the map as they traipsed through the jungle landscape. As much as Takao was watching their route, Mack had a dark weather eye out for any mobs that might appear. Until they entered the dungeon, after Takao the Bard found it, it was the axe man's job to deal with enemies so Takao could keep them on course.

"Huh, really?" Takao asked in disbelief, scratching his head. He felt like Mack had mentioned his late entry before, but couldn't think of when. "Ah well, that's too bad... If it's any consolation, it's good to have you here. I like knowing we have level headed people on the vanguard." He said while sifting through menus. With his behemoth of a companion on the look out, he was provided with an opportunity to delve into the mechanics of the game. Setting specific routes and way-markers around areas he knew to be dangerous or cluttered with enemies, organizing his inventory-- doing anything and everything to use his time wisely. "So, you were in the military for a while then, huh? What was that like?"

Mack watched as Takao delved even deeper into his various maps and menus. Yes, he was definitely the bard. Even if the brunette swordsman didn't realize it. Still, Mack supposed it was a sign of trust for Takao to be that preoccupied with everything else as they moved through the jungle. It meant that the teen trusted Mack to not bury and axe in his back, not that the ginger had any intention of doing so, unless Takao attacked him first which seemed to be so unlikely that it was an absurd thought. "The sooner we all get pulling in the same direction as a team instead of a bunch of pieces, the better. I don't want to be this game's Napoleon, but I'd settle for being SAO's version of Omar Bradley, the G.I. General," Mack rumbled, considering Takao's question about military life for a moment. "Let me think on that, figure the best way to answer."

"I'm not all that educated on American history, so I'll take your word for it." Takao said as he finally finished entertaining himself while amidst an array of menus and opted to close them. He stretched his arms skyward and allowed a yawn to escape, the first since they'd cleared the dungeon on the fifth floor. His hands then fell to his head, fingers interlocking and shoulders rolling as they walked. "Ah well, take your time. Not like we're pressed for it anyway, still got like... 'nother half hour or so of walkin'." A sigh deflated his lungs. The previews of Sword Art Online had boasted rideable mounts, yet he had only found such a luxury on the first floor, and it had been incredibly limited. He did enjoy the jungle scenery though; it was a welcome change from the monotone dunes of the fifth floor.

The red-headed soldier continued to ponder over Takao's question. What would be the best way to explain military life to a foreign teenager. Especially one that might not be overly fond of American soldiers since there were still a fair number of them stationed in Japan as a treaty stipulation from the end of the Second World War. "Well, technically, I'm still in," Mack said at last. "Though, I suppose by this point I've probably been transferred to one of the big military hospitals, either in Germany or stateside." That much, at least, made some sense. "Last duty station was in the Middle East, though I'm with field artillery mostly. We don't do too much unless the grunts up front call for fire support. Then we shoot really large weapons until they say they're good."

Takao nodded along as Mack gave his response, no clear indications of displeasure with what he said on the outside. He had never been one to follow the military of any country very closely, including his own. Having been educated on the Great Pacific War in school had only given him one real outlook on it; War is hell. Worse than hell, even. But he didn't dwell on the thought for too long, and instead refocused on the conversation at hand. "Sounds like fun." He remarked dryly, letting the statement rest for a while before he spoke up again. "You mentioned bein' in the Amazon before. You must've been all over the place then, huh?"

"Not as much as you'd think, actually. Spent a fair amount of time in Bogota and Medellin," the hulking man rumbled, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand. "There at the very end of that deployment we were more along the coast, mostly out of Cartagena. Our job was helping the Colombians make sure that the FARC rebels didn't escape overland into Panama," The humidity in the jungle was beyond oppressive. Mack wasn't a big fan of heat to begin with, but when it was coupled with wet, sticky air as well it was a downright nightmare as far as the gigantic warrior was concerned. "We skirted Paramillo and Los Katios National Parks, though. Had a chance to visit them, made the deployment just about worth it. Well, that and the Colombian women. Very friendly, sometimes too friendly, and very pretty."

"Hm. That sounds interesting. I always wanted to travel 'round the world before I ended up getting locked into some job or somethin'." Takao said, hands finding their way into the pockets of his slacks. The soles of his boots padded against the soft jungle terrain as they drew ever closer to their target; the movement of the marker on the compass attached to his HUD a clear indication of such. "Looks like we're close," Takao said as he turned and corrected his heading, wading through the underbrush whilst keeping his attention centered on their direction. "Should be around here somewhere."

"Yeah, join the Army, see the world, have someone else pay for it," Mack rumbled, following along behind Takao as the teen ventured into a particularly dense part of the jungle where the light perceptibly darkened. They walked for a few more moments in silence before Takao announced that they were close to the entrance, though Mack didn't really see anything that looked to be like it was much other than jungle. Suddenly, the red head's attention was drawn to a wet squelching sound down at his feet. The axe man's dark eyes wandered down to the ground and quickly registered the fact that Takao had led them into a swamp or, at least, it was the very edge of what certainly appeared to be a swamp. "Leeches and spiny nettles, the hallmarks of medieval medicine... are we there yet?"

"I don't think Japan's defense force does much traveling, unfortunately." Takao shrugged. "Not that I have much interest in the military anyway. The intelligence aspect of it, maybe, but not so much the whole... y'know. Other parts. Now bein' a drone pilot, I think that would be cool. Or just the JASDF in general." As much as much as he disliked the idea of being in the military, at least for himself, he couldn't help but have some respect for the more technical aspects of the career path. Even the air force would be interesting. As they waded through the underbrush and emerged on the other side, a large expansive of overgrown ruins laid before them. Thick tree roots had overtaken the eroded stone, with rubble and debris covering the ground making the area a mind field for the clumsy sort. His dungeon finding skill was activated and the entrance was located mere seconds of searching later. He pulled the sword from his back and swiped a bundle of vines away from a wall, revealing the entrance. "Aaand there's number two."

- -

Advanced Dungeon found.

» ID : [[ 53098 ]]
» LD : [[ 29 (19 + 2(Vitamins) + 3(Hands of Midas) + 3(Search&Detect) + 2(Reveal)) 

"In the States we refer to them as the Chair Force," Mack replied with a chuckle, as he pushed on through the undergrowth, occasionally ducking his red haired head to avoid running into tree branches. "Anytime there's something to be done, the other three branches get up and go do it while the Air Force gives their Colonel a rousing speech and sends him off to go work while everyone else goes back to bed," the axe man continued, displaying the well known and time honored tradition of rivalry between the services even as Takao's emerald eyes began to glow. Within a few seconds, they had pushed through the undergrowth and located the second dungeon. "After you, I'm just here to handle the boss', remember?"

ID: 53163
BD: 5 + 3(ACC)
LD: 18 + 2(Vitamins) + 3(Hands of Midas)

Takao: 185/185 (34/46) [Sword Art: Sharp Nail 1*6*22=132 DMG] (13 Base + 4 Charge + 3 Damage Crystal + 1 Alcoholic)

Miniature Troglodyte 1 -7/100 (Mit. 25) [132-25=107 DMG]
Miniature Troglodyte 1 -7/100 (Mit. 25) [132-25=107 DMG]

11/15 Remaining

"Hah, Chair Force." He met Mack's chuckle with his own and shook his head. "Japan's air force is also only defensive, so it's probably the same unless there's a national threat or somethin'... But man, it would be so cool to pilot an F-15." Takao shook his head to dismiss the thoughts; they were dreams for another time. He set about delving headfirst into the cave, glowing green eyes already giving clear indication to the first ambush that laid in wait. As the four cave dwelling monsters leapt from their supposed hidden positions, Takao cleaved each of them in twain with a sword art of moderate potency. "We've been lucky these past few times. We've been gettin' the good dungeons."

Total Rewards:

8 Mats - Takao
4000 Col

Edited by Takao

ID: 53188
LD: 14

"I never had much of a desire to fly," Mack rumbled, shrugging his broad shoulders. "Just imagine someone my size trying to fit into the cockpit on a fighter plane. I can't imagine that would be overly pleasant," the gigantic blacksmith continued, picturing himself trying to scrunch into such a small place. Ducking his head, Mack passed through the entrance into the dungeon and followed along behind Takao, even as the swordsman was dispatching the first group of computer generated mobs to make their appearance. Their strategy, excepting the Kobold Warlord, had worked well so far. There seemed to be no reason to change things up. "Bigger is always better."

Edited by Mack

ID: 53235
BD: 4 + 3(ACC)
LD: 5 + 2(Vitamins) + 3(Hands of Midas) + 3(Search & Detect)

Takao: 185/185 (23/46) [Sword Art: Sharp Nail 1*6*22=126 DMG] (13 Base + 4 Charge + 3 Damage Crystal + 1 Alcoholic)

Miniature Troglodyte 5 -1/100 (Mit. 25) [126-25=101 DMG]
Miniature Troglodyte 6 -1/100 (Mit. 25) [126-25=101 DMG]
Miniature Troglodyte 7 -1/100 (Mit. 25) [126-25=101 DMG]
Miniature Troglodyte 8 -1/100 (Mit. 25) [126-25=101 DMG]

7/15 Remaining

"'spose it's my turn to say that's what she said." Takao commented, an easy smile tugging the corners of his mouth upward. "But I guess that's fair. Can't really say you fit my mental picture of a pilot anyway." He said whilst rolling his wrist, subsequently twirling the moderately sized sword held tightly in his grip. Yet another quartet of monsters loomed beyond, hiding in the shadows in waiting to jump the supposedly unsuspecting duo. Yet, thanks to the reveal skill once more, Takao was alerted to their presence. He'd prepared a sword art by the time he turned the corner and the four monsters launched at him, each meeting a terrible fate at the end of his sword. Before their bodies hit the ground, they burst into polygons and scattered through the air, quickly disappearing into nothingness.

Total Rewards:

(+4)12 Mats - Takao
(+2000)6000 Col

Edited by Takao

"Not even a little bit," Mack agreed, chuckling at Takao's using a 'that's what she said' joke on him even as the treasure hunter was dispatching another group of the trogolodytes. "You know where you have plenty of laid back guys and plenty of room and you get to stay back at base most of the time while still doing your part? Field Artillery, that's what I do. Really big guns, really big fun." Mack rolled his head around on his neck and tightened his grip around the leather wrapped mahogany haft of his bearded axe, Invictus. "So, what kind of boss do you think we're going to find this time? My money's on Cave Troll, all things considered."