[PP - F7] The Climb, Pt.4 (Mack)

qcNkYo6.png

«Floor 7»
8:44 AST

A bright ring of light brightened the dark mountain settlement of Nimbus as Takao stepped through. The mountainous geography of the seventh floor allowed for a considerably cooler climate, which meant a considerably happier Takao. He really didn't handle heat well at all. The chilly morning breeze was an immediately welcomed change of pace. "Just one on this floor," Takao said after pulling up the floor map. Despite how much he liked the floor, much of it had gone unexplored on his part. It wasn't a typical grinding route for him to take, which meant he hadn't any need to either explore it himself or buy the data from a vendor. "It's on the far side to the east."

"Long walk, then," Mack rumbled, appearing on the portal platform in Nimbus mere seconds behind the green-eyed teen who, by this point, was on his way to earning boon companion status. Shouldering Invictus, as he had for so much of the day already through the previous three dungeons, Mack gestured for Takao to lead the way. "This floor is vastly preferable to the first two, reminds me of being stationed out in Wyoming," the juggernaut continued, falling into step with Takao. "Anyway, I still don't know much about you. Not really, what's your story Takao? Surely there must be one, everyone has one and mine just got more complicated," Mack concluded, referencing the recent appearance of his twin and baby sister. All the more reason to grind these dungeons, to protect them.

"You'll have to be more specific," Takao said, briefly exchanging a glance with his taller adventuring companion. He set his attention back to the map a moment afterward, occupying himself with plotting out a route with what little information the map provided. "I really doubt you want my whole life story, 'cause I'm afraid it'll probably bore you to death." He had the sneaking suspicion that Mack's interest in his story, in whatever context that might have been, was likely going to be linked more so toward his desire to progress in the game.

"Whatever you feel like sharing," Mack allowed in an easy going tone. Now that they were out of the rank hell that was floors five and six, the red head was in a much more chatty and expansive mood, even if he was beginning to feel just slightly fatigued. Mack's hatred of hot and humid places was well documented among almost all of the players that had ever had the misfortune of traveling with him on any of those floors that he despised. "Family, friends, life in Japan, whatever you feel like talking about. We're going to be together all day across every explored floor of this damn tower from floor five to floor fifteen. We can go in silence, but if we chat the day will go by faster and more easily."

"Hm... Well, guess that's true. There's not much worth sharing though." He said, shoulders dipping down into a shrug. "I have an older sister and a younger sister, but neither of 'em are in the game." He thought about mentioning his friends, one name in particular, but instead fell silent for a moment. It'd be better to skip over that little piece of his past. "Life in Japan was pretty chill. I was part of a HEMA club in school, which is mostly why I even bought Sword Art Online. Thought it'd be just like it." The promise of realistic combat and intense sword fighting was what had originally drawn him and his friend to the game. In a way, he couldn't necessarily say that the marketing had lied. It was definitely intense.

"Can't say that I really know what a HEMA club is," Mack allowed with a shrug of his broad shoulders. As they continued moving, slowly leaving the town of Nimbus farther and farther behind them, Mack swiped a finger in the air in front of him. Now that the oppressive heat of the first two floors on their whirlwind adventure for the day were over and done with, it was time to bring the trusty white trimmed crimson guild cloak out of his item storage to re-equip it. After all, any chance to represent the Knights of the Blood Oath should be taken. As the commanding officer of their strike team and, for the time being, the third in command of the entire guild after Heathcliff and Opal, it was his duty to do no less. "HEMA must be a bit after my time."

"It got popular in the around twenty-ten, I think." Takao said as he glanced aside, watching Mack equip the cloak to wear his guild's colours. He turned his attention forward again and closed out of the menu, having done everything he could think to do. His battle ready inventory was sorted and optimized, the expansive catalog of materials he transported in his mallet space had some vague semblances of organization, and his equipment had briefly been checked over. "It stands for Historical European Martial Arts. We basically studied manuscripts from as early as the thirteenth century 'bout fencing and swordplay, and learned from them. We actually had access to the original Royal Armouries Ms. I.33--" Takao said, pausing for a minute to remind himself that not everybody was as interested in the subject as he was. "It's the oldest surviving European combat manual. Really cool stuff. We would get together on the weekends and spar and stuff."

"Interesting, we didn't have anything like that in the States. Or, at least, we didn't where I'm from," Mack replied taking in the offered information. Of course, with what Takao was talking about, that had sparked a few of the interests that the hulking commando had as well. "What about the Latin Rule by Hugues de Payens and Bernard of Clairvaux," Mack asked, rolling his head around on his neck. "Or even Arthurian Legend? I'm a bit of a military history and tactics buff. Happens with my background, a way of making me feel better about carrying out the orders I receive from superior officers. Helps to try and figure out their line of thinking or see the big picture. Not that I'm an expert at such things."

"It was popular in Canada for a while, s'where my Dad is from." Takao said, not dwelling for too long on the thought of family. "I haven't read it myself. I bet Jørgen has, though-- He's a friend I met online from Norway, dude knew everything there was to know about European and Scandinavian history. He's like a living, breathing encyclopedia." Another friend he was thankful hadn't made the same mistake he had by entering the world of Sword Art Online. "I only really read the combat manuals. They didn't go into military strategy and tactics much, just dueling and things like that. There were some manuscripts that described how people fought on the battlefield... although it was mostly about single combat, so I guess it's not terribly similar."

Mack shrugged his broad shoulders when Takao said he hadn't read the Latin Rule, which laid out everything that was required of one of the Knights Templar. He figured it had been a bit of a long shot for the teen to have read it. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying went. "Well, if dueling is your thing what about contests of strength during the Middle Ages? The legendary Roman general, Cincinnatus? Or, famous duels like Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton," Mack asked, quirking an eyebrow in Takao's direction and choosing not to center the discussion around talk of family. At least, not yet. He supposed that topic would come up at some point throughout the rest of the day, though.

"Oh sure, I've read about lots of duels. Burr and Hamilton, Stephen of Massey and the monks of Saint-Germain-des-Pres-- that one was brutal. Lady Braddock and Miss Elphinstone... Ben Jonson and Gabriel Spenser was a fun one to learn about, 'specially when I learned that Jonson later wrote a play that Shakespeare played a part in." Takao scratched his neck as his mind wandered, recalling the vast plethora of knowledge he'd taken in during some of his more study heavy phases. "I read a lot about Ancient Greek wrestling and Gladiatorial combat too-- the Romans were sick, man. They knew how to party. They used to flood their Colosseums and have naval battles. How cool is that?"

"I knew about the naval battles, but only in general terms," Mack said, considering the topic for a moment. The idea of wandering around the seventh floor of Aincrad while discussing history with a teenager who, quite possibly, knew more on the subject than he did was one that Mack found slightly amusing. "While we're on the topic of naval duels, how about Stephen Decatur? He was a rather accomplished duelist. Have you studied any of the famous Naval duels, Bonhomme Richard v. HMS Serapis, as one example? Of course battles can really also be viewed as set piece duels between opposing generals. Lee and Meade at Gettysburg, Romel and Patton in North Africa, or even Nobunaga and Yoshimoto from your own country."

"Naw, but I wish I had, those sound interesting. I didn't stray much from studying single combat. Y'ever hear of Julie d’Aubigny? I think she was better known as Mademoiselle Maupin." Takao said, already enjoying their back and forth of historical facts. "She was an opera singer in France in the sixteen hundreds, and also an amazing swordswoman. She once killed three men back to back in duels 'cause they challenged her thinking she was a man. Then there's Egil Skallagrímsson. Tenth century viking, absolutely brutal fighter-- then again, a lot of the Nords back then were great fighters in comparison to the Anglo-Saxons. I love that name though, Skallagrim. How cool does that sound? Even if it does translate roughly to "Bald man wearing a helmet"."

"Can't say I'm familiar with either of them," Mack allowed, shrugging his broad shoulders. In truth, he wasn't nearly the single combat buff that Takao obviously was. What he knew of dueling was mostly limited to what was included as side information in books on other historical events. The little fluff bits that were included as flavor information to round out those kinds of books and make them more interesting to read. Still, that didn't make the conversation an unpleasant one, and it was helping to pass the time as they crossed the floor that was vastly preferable to its predecessors. "Nobunaga and, really, almost all those shogun leaders were very well regarded swordsmen. Who'd win in a fight? One of them or Julie d'Aubigny?"

OOC// good god is my dungeon roll game on point.

"That's a hard comparison to make," Takao said after a moment of contemplation. "That kind of thing comes up in HEMA a lot though, actually-- comparing two different martial arts from different eras. Japan and Europe are really common. Same with Japan and Scandinavia. Katanas are popular weapons in media, but realistically, they never crossed paths on the battlefield. I don't know a whole lot about Japanese martial arts, which is pretty funny, but I know that they mostly employ linear disciplines. You cut in certain ways, block in certain ways... It's very... planned out, I guess? European martial arts are a lot more fluid I think, especially with grappling and wrestling. Equipment at the time was also completely different. So... I think maybe if I were basing it just off the facts of the fighting styles, I'd put my money on Julie d'Aubigny. Oh, also," Takao said as he stepped up to an inconspicuous looking bush and used his blade to clear the foliage. "Found the dungeon."

- -

Advanced Dungeon found.

» ID : [[ 53539 ]]
» LD : [[ 29 (19 + 2(Vitamins) + 3(Hands of Midas) + 3(Search&Detect) + 2(Reveal)) ]]

"Really," Mack asked, the question applying both to the fact that Takao had answered that he believed that Julie would be the winner in the fight and to the fact that Takao merely pushed aside a little bit of foliage and there was the dungeon's entrance yawning up ominously at them. "I've always heard that the katana was one of the best swords ever made," Mack countered, making a bit of an argument as he gestured for Takao to lead the pair of them off into the dungeon. "Surely the superior weapon would simply cut right through a slender rapier or whatever other blade a fighter like Julie would be using, right?" As the pair of them passed through the arched entrance and into the dungeon the air temperature dropped perceptibly to a much more comfortable fighting temperature as far as Mack was concerned.

ID: 53769
BD: 8 + 3(ACC)
LD: 1 + 2(Vitamins) + 3(Hands of Midas) + 3(Search & Detect)

Takao: 197/197 (36/48) [Sword Art: Sharp Nail 1*6*22=132 DMG] (13 Base + 5 Charge + 3 Damage Crystal + 1 Alcoholic + 2 Critical)

Gemstone Crab 1 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]
Gemstone Crab 2 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]
Gemstone Crab 3 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]
Gemstone Crab 4 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]

11/15 Remaining

Takao snorted out a laugh as Mack spoke and shook his head. "You're not serious, right?" Takao said, glancing over his shoulder at Mack. "It's a sword, not a lightsaber. Don't get me wrong, Katanas are excellent swords and great at what they're designed to do, but cutting through plated mail is not one of those things." Takao explained, taking a moment to prepare a sword art and nonchalantly cut down a group of four crabs whose shells had been replaced with overgrown crystals. "Even chainmail could potentially prevent it from cutting, since that's what chainmail is designed for. Katanas don't have a lot of flexibility to them, which means they're not terribly good thrusting weapons. Something like the European longsword, however, is quite good at thrusting. They can flex and retain their shape without breaking."

Total Rewards:

4 Mats - Takao
0 Col

Edited by Takao

"Well, yes, obviously," Mack allowed, spitting on the ground of the cave as Takao dispatched a glittering group of crustaceans. "I wasn't referring to their ability to beat armor though. I was more talking sword against sword. I would think that if you tried to parry with a rapier against a katana or my axe, for example, that the sheer weight and force of the attack would snap the rapier like a twig," Mack continued in a low rumbling tone as the white trimmed hem of his guild cloak swished along the floor of the cave. If there was one nice thing about digital clothing, it never frayed and it never really wore out, at least not in the strictest sense. "I hope the fact that you have to clear all the minions isn't making you crabby..."

ID: 53773
BD: 8 + 3(ACC)
LD: 20 + 2(Vitamins) + 3(Hands of Midas) + 3(Search & Detect)
CD: 5

Takao: 197/197 (25/48) [Sword Art: Sharp Nail 1*6*22=132 DMG] (13 Base + 5 Charge + 3 Damage Crystal + 1 Alcoholic + 2 Critical)

Gemstone Crab 5 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]
Gemstone Crab 6 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]
Gemstone Crab 7 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]
Gemstone Crab 8 0/106 (Mit. 26) [132-28=106 DMG]

7/15 Remaining

"Terrible," Takao said, shaking his head at the pun. "It depends on the weapon though, mostly. A fencing foil like they use in the Olympic competitions wouldn't stand a chance, but they're not made for that. Even thin rapiers would have difficulty with static parrying, but that's because you're not supposed to static parry. If you lock weapons in a bind because you static parried, you're asking to get your face smashed in. If somebody tries to parry a much heavier weapon with something like a rapier and they know what they're doing, it's going to be a deflectional parry followed by a riposte-- a deflectional parry is when you use your weapon to either move their weapon aside, or use your weapon to trick them into thinking you're going to static parry but let their weapon go through and move anyway. They use all their energy to try and get through your defense, meanwhile you can just step to the side and attack them while they're vulnerable." Takao continued, taking a breath after the final words left his mouth. Speaking at length on topics he was passionate about was one of his habits, though whether it was good or bad would oft be left up to the poor soul that was being forced to listen. He was brought to silence when another four monsters scuttled out and threatened to attack, only to be minced with a few well placed strikes à la sword art.

Total Rewards:

(+8)12 Mats - Takao
0 Col
4 Teleport Crystals

OOC: 4 Teleport crystals, nice.

"So then, with a rapier it's more about being little and quick than about being overpowering," Mack rumbled in a low musing tone as he considered what it was that the brunette was saying about parrying when one was at a clear disadvantage in terms of the size and weight of their weapon. Right that moment Mack decided that using a small quick weapon like that would never be his preferred way to fight. No, overcoming all obstacles with determination and sheer brute force was definitely the best strategy as far as Mack was concerned. Pull out the shock and awe card and your opponents would never stand a chance. Of course, when you were also considerably more physically imposing than most people it definitely helped. "What's wrong with my wit? Did the intended meaning of the pun scuttle away from you?"