Pol Tittle  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a certain 'rule' in mind?

• Yes! (POST IT!)
    • Nah. (Think of one and POST IT!)

So yeah, I've been reading comments about rules this and rules that and unwritten rules here and there for a while now. This thread's purpose is simple, tell me what rules do you know about or suspect that exists or that are 'unwritten' or should be made clearer overall. Basically whatever you mind can think of regarding rules, as long as you can put in in that template. I want to compile a list and then present it to staff for debate. They can even be actual rules specified in the guides or logically obvious. Maybe later as they pile up I'll start organizing them into categories.

So consider this my puny attempt to make the rules clearer for the sake of all our mental healths. Btw all are invited to post as we're fellow players.

Note: This isn't an official rule setting thing.....yet. Just me asking the community for help and advice. Also the 'rules' may or not be false, this thread is just for gathering purposes not disputing their validity. That is the staff team's duty.
I'll not add any ridiculous ones or joke intents just because I'm a big meanie!
Make sure to read the list in order to not post about an issue that's already there.

Off-topic will be pointed out to staff and dealt with accordingly.

Here, I'll go first using this template. No template, not added:

• <Name the issue> - General description or setting of the issue. make it concise, rant about it in another paragraph below this line (Optional: example?)

"Rules" things list:

Spoiler
  • <Equipped items while Craftings> - A player can equip up to 3 items that have crafting specific enhancements but cannot have more than 1 item with the same enhancement as caps come into play. Consumables are still OK as they are temporary and the 'Fireplace' in a house is more like a permanent bonus in exchange for money.

• <Thread reward distribution> - The one that created the thread gets to decide how the following are distributed: the col/materials/items gained in the thread via mob loot or completed RP page reward (for 21+ posts / 1 SP & 400 Col per 20 posts). He / her/ it can also leave out a certain player from receiving any kind of reward, even the 1 SP for a completed thread. Trades are out of his / hers/ its jurisdiction.

• <Energy natural regen> - the passive 1 energy regen is present in any post in battle or out off. This regen takes effect only after you have done a action in the post... attack, parry, gather... whatever. Thus why people put energy consumption in a similar format to this (-14 +1)

• <Floor Clearing Raid join> - Only the Raid leader a.k.a. the person who discovered the boss room, can allow players to join the boss fight thread. Apparently they can join even after the fight has started.

• <Poison/Bleeding/Burning/Blighted effects don't stack with the same effect> - If you bleed someone twice in a row, they don't have two instances of bleed. The duration of the effect is simply reset.

• <Mid boss fight join> - Nowhere is it stated that the Raid leader can accept people into the boss raid, nor does it say that it's possible to join mid fight. Something should be stated at the least.

• <Joining a Boss Fight> - Raid leaders have a say on who joins unless boss says differently in its starting post.
  • <"Items can also be acquired by obtaining loot from Treasure Chests."> - First page under Equipment and stats - Treasure chests don't exist anymore. Will confuse players.

• <Green Killing Orange> There is nothing in the "Death & PKing!" section that explains whether or not a player becomes orange from killing an orange player. - it has been proven by Opal that killing an orange player allows you to stay green.

• <Page Count for Closing a Thread> - The page counts on all fronts needs to be fixed. I know the site used to be different, but now 1 page is 20 posts, and it's still written in many places as 20 posts = 2 pages. Very confusing.

• <RP Posts for Closing a Thread> - There is also confusion as to whether or not 21 posts or 20 posts is enough to consider a thread "finished". It is written in one place as 21 RP posts, and another location as 20 RP posts.

• <Becoming a Grandmaster> -  It is unclear if Grandmastering a skill is required for all skills that can become a Grandmaster or just weapons.

• <Stealth Rules> - Just a personal note, but I feel that the stealth rules should be in its own section explaining how it works. Not attached to Sneak and Hide, where it may get otherwise overlooked.

• <Dispersing the Darkness> - I feel that it should be explained if using a torch or other item to disperse darkness in a roleplay sense still gives the -1 BD or +2 to Stealth.

• <Fighting Spirit Hate Gen> - It is unclear if Fighting Spirit gives a passive 1 bonus to Hate regardless of any action taken or if it just adds to Hate generation techniques. For example, if the tank just stands there, do they still get 1 hate on their post due to Fighting Spirit, or no?

• <Charge Cleanup> - Charge would be better explained as "Charge can only be used on the first attack on an opponent if you are not currently locked in combat."

• <Disguise Contradiction> - Disguise: "Gain +1 to the BD result for a single combat action vs another player. Your opponent suffers -1 to their next BD roll vs you. Can be used on any type of enemy." A bit contradictory. States against another player, but can be used on anything. Should be either or.

• <Boss Environments and Survival> - "Survival also gives immunity to damage dealing environment effects." I've seen it asked before if Survival works on boss room effects. Not completely clear on that myself.

• <"Quick" Crafting> - "ALL RP posts, including posts made in 'Shops' must be at least 3-4 FULL lines long." - I've seen many players ignore the RP aspect of crafting and just post rolls and results. Thus breaking this rule.

• <SP to OP/PP Changes> - "Also note, that once you reply to your initial post in your SP, meaning making a second post, it MAY NOT be edited to become an OP or PP." Many people are not aware that this rule has changed. People still think they are able to jump into another's SP and save them, myself included until I read the rule change.

• <Leaving a Thread For Others to Finish> - There's also no official rule on whether or not people can just ditch a thread halfway through it and still earn rewards. For example, I once saw a thread where Zelrius posted in a quest, and then left it to have the people just RP the remainder of it out, thus reaping the benefit of being in it while only making one post. I feel that in fairness, all players should stick to posting order (as equally as possible, as the RP allows) or forfeit their rewards.

• <Old Threads> - I also once saw Zelrius go through and lock a boatload of old threads to earn SP. I think that unless an RP is summarily finished by all parties involved, and agreed to be locked and completed, then a player should not be able to go back a year later and lock it for SP. But either way, even if I'm wrong, official rulings would be best, as long as it's written down.

• <Marking as "Complete"> - "Mark your topic as COMPLETE." Not everyone does this. Admittedly I often forget. Although I also feel it makes thread topics look a bit ugly. But yeah, even I forget/ignore rules. Oops!

• <Going Over 8 BD> - I've seen it stated by mods in the past that the BD with bonuses cannot actually go over 8 BD. But this is not explicitly stated anywhere in the rules.

• <Ignoring Dice Rolls> - It should be stated whether or not players are allowed to "Ignore a dice roll" once they have rolled the BD for an attack if they have missed, so that they don't get the 2 EN miss penalty. I saw Lycan mention it, and I've done it before as a tank, I end up just Howling instead or something. But it should be stated if this is against the rules or not.

• <Only the Perma Roller Left> - A lot of the information about the old dice system can safely be edited out since it doesn't exist anymore. It would reduce any confusion and tell players to only use the Perma Roller.

• <No Magical Barriers - Bosses> - "YOU CANNOT ATTACK THE BOSS IN YOUR SCOUTING THREAD, YOU HAVE TO DO A MEETING THREAD." - I get why this rule is in place. I do. But this goes back to what Life was saying about there being no magical barriers in SAO. It's also canon, in that Kirito and others attacked a boss without alerting anyone outside of the tower to its existence.

• <Passive Debuffs Ignoring Mitigation> - So far as I've been able to find, it isn't written anywhere that enhancements such as Thorns, Burn, Envenom, and Bleed ignore Mitigation, but it is widely agreed by staff that they do.

• <Fighting Familiar> - The "Fighter" Familiar Enhancement has no indication of how much damage the Familiar does.

• <Spooky Scary Dice Roll> - Spooky Scary doesn't state which "roll of 10" dice it is referring to. One can assume BD, but we shouldn't be assuming. Also, if it is a roll of 10 BD, does that mean Spooky Scary only activates on attack rolls?

• <Performer Material Confusion> - The profession page for Performer specifically says "In order to gain EXP, a recording crystal must be used for the song." The only recording crystal in the game is sold by merchants. But I have seen many performers just use materials and state that the material Is a recording crystal, thus skirting this rule.

• <Visibility Rules Location> - "Note Visibility rules: From now on any actions being performed in low light or dark conditions will suffer a -1 to all dice rolls. Expect future content to mention visibility details. Also watch out for monsters who may dwell in the darkness! Some may not suffer from these penalties. A portable light source of some kind will provide light for your immediate vicinity." - This is only stated in the Skill Mods section of the site. It can be easily missed and forgotten about there. And the last bit goes back to saying whether or not using a torch dispells the -1 BD Debuff.

• <Skill Mod Upgrades> - If I grab the expert EWL mod and then down the road I get the skill Grandmastered and want to get the GM mod, what do I do? Can I spend the difference in SP to upgrade my mod? Do I have to spend the whole 15 SP and then have 9 SP essentially wasted? I don't believe this is clarified in the mod section

• <Profession Tool Clarification> - I need clarification if Tools crafted by blacksmith and tailor can be used for all professions (except Merchant of course). Because merchant specifically sells the +1 CD tools for fisherman and performer, and if those can be crafted by other professions than that leads over to the point that Merchants need more than 2 unique items to sell.

• <One Dice Roll for All, or One For Each> - It is unclear if players roll one dice for all mobs in a group, or if they roll for each monster individually. Players play both ways, and I don't think either way is illegal, but actual written clarification would be best.

• <Quest repeat> "Non-repeatable is for once you complete a quest" in other words if you fail a quest with 'non-repeatable' in its description, you can retake it until you finish it. Then it becomes non- repeatable to you.

• <Merchant Exploit> Merchants don't receive Exp from buying basic merchant items from themselves... (buying 'good gear' for 100 col a piece doesn't give the merchant 1 exp)

• <Crafting EXP> - It dosent say if its your total EXP that decides rank or if it got resetted after each rank up.

• <Boss Fights> - Boss fights cant be private regardless of IC information or story. All boss fights have to be open and have a sign up. 

Edited by Ariel - The Crowned Lion

Here's something that's not immediately clear or stated anywhere that I can find.

<Poison/Bleeding/Burning/Blighted effects don't stack with the same effect> - If you bleed someone twice in a row, they don't have two instances of bleed. The duration of the effect is simply reset.

Example: Bleed lasts two turns and does 4 damage. If you use bleed and there is one turn left, it returns to being two turns. The damage doesn't increase to eight for one turn and go back to four for one turn, the duration doesn't get added to make it three turns, it is just reset to two.

Edited by Shirien
  • <Mid boss fight join> - Nowhere is it stated that the Raid leader can accept people into the boss raid, nor does it say that it's possible to join mid fight. Something should be stated at the least. I cannot find any rule about people being able to join if leader allows.
Edited by Macradon

-Drops a book on the table and walks away-

Spoiler

<"Items can also be acquired by obtaining loot from Treasure Chests."> - First page under Equipment and stats - Treasure chests don't exist anymore. Will confuse players.

<Green Killing Orange> There is nothing in the "Death & PKing!" section that explains whether or not a player becomes orange from killing an orange player. - it has been proven by Opal that killing an orange player allows you to stay green.

<Page Count for Closing a Thread> - The page counts on all fronts needs to be fixed. I know the site used to be different, but now 1 page is 20 posts, and it's still written in many places as 20 posts = 2 pages. Very confusing.

<RP Posts for Closing a Thread> - There is also confusion as to whether or not 21 posts or 20 posts is enough to consider a thread "finished". It is written in one place as 21 RP posts, and another location as 20 RP posts.

<Becoming a Grandmaster> -  It is unclear if Grandmastering a skill is required for all skills that can become a Grandmaster or just weapons.

<Stealth Rules> - Just a personal note, but I feel that the stealth rules should be in its own section explaining how it works. Not attached to Sneak and Hide, where it may get otherwise overlooked.

<Dispersing the Darkness> - I feel that it should be explained if using a torch or other item to disperse darkness in a roleplay sense still gives the -1 BD or +2 to Stealth.

<Fighting Spirit Hate Gen> - It is unclear if Fighting Spirit gives a passive 1 bonus to Hate regardless of any action taken or if it just adds to Hate generation techniques. For example, if the tank just stands there, do they still get 1 hate on their post due to Fighting Spirit, or no?

<Charge Cleanup> - Charge would be better explained as "Charge can only be used on the first attack on an opponent if you are not currently locked in combat."

<Disguise Contradiction> - Disguise: "Gain +1 to the BD result for a single combat action vs another player. Your opponent suffers -1 to their next BD roll vs you. Can be used on any type of enemy." A bit contradictory. States against another player, but can be used on anything. Should be either or.

<Boss Environments and Survival> - "Survival also gives immunity to damage dealing environment effects." I've seen it asked before if Survival works on boss room effects. Not completely clear on that myself.

<"Quick" Crafting> - "ALL RP posts, including posts made in 'Shops' must be at least 3-4 FULL lines long." - I've seen many players ignore the RP aspect of crafting and just post rolls and results. Thus breaking this rule.

<SP to OP/PP Changes> - "Also note, that once you reply to your initial post in your SP, meaning making a second post, it MAY NOT be edited to become an OP or PP." Many people are not aware that this rule has changed. People still think they are able to jump into another's SP and save them, myself included until I read the rule change.

<Leaving a Thread For Others to Finish> - There's also no official rule on whether or not people can just ditch a thread halfway through it and still earn rewards. For example, I once saw a thread where Zelrius posted in a quest, and then left it to have the people just RP the remainder of it out, thus reaping the benefit of being in it while only making one post. I feel that in fairness, all players should stick to posting order (as equally as possible, as the RP allows) or forfeit their rewards.

<Old Threads> - I also once saw Zelrius go through and lock a boatload of old threads to earn SP. I think that unless an RP is summarily finished by all parties involved, and agreed to be locked and completed, then a player should not be able to go back a year later and lock it for SP. But either way, even if I'm wrong, official rulings would be best, as long as it's written down.

<Marking as "Complete"> - "Mark your topic as COMPLETE." Not everyone does this. Admittedly I often forget. Although I also feel it makes thread topics look a bit ugly. But yeah, even I forget/ignore rules. Oops!

<Going Over 8 BD> - I've seen it stated by mods in the past that the BD with bonuses cannot actually go over 8 BD. But this is not explicitly stated anywhere in the rules.

All that is that regular successes cannot become critical ones. The reason this is important is for enhancements such as: Fallen Damage - On a non-critical attack (6-8 after modifiers) it deals (2 * Tier Level) Fallen damage to the opponent. It adds to base damage thus can be increased with sword arts, but can be mitigated. The important bit is "On a non-critical attack (6-8 after modifiers)". But bonuses can push you from an 8 -> Non-Critical 9. Thus negating this bonus, supposedly. But mods state that the BD cannot go over 8 with bonuses, meaning that no matter what if you go over 6 you always get this buff on your weapon. It's confusing.

<Ignoring Dice Rolls> - It should be stated whether or not players are allowed to "Ignore a dice roll" once they have rolled the BD for an attack if they have missed, so that they don't get the 2 EN miss penalty. I saw Lycan mention it, and I've done it before as a tank, I end up just Howling instead or something. But it should be stated if this is against the rules or not.

<Only the Perma Roller Left> - A lot of the information about the old dice system can safely be edited out since it doesn't exist anymore. It would reduce any confusion and tell players to only use the Perma Roller.

<No Magical Barriers - Bosses> - "YOU CANNOT ATTACK THE BOSS IN YOUR SCOUTING THREAD, YOU HAVE TO DO A MEETING THREAD." - I get why this rule is in place. I do. But this goes back to what Life was saying about there being no magical barriers in SAO. It's also canon, in that Kirito and others attacked a boss without alerting anyone outside of the tower to its existence.

<Passive Debuffs Ignoring Mitigation> - So far as I've been able to find, it isn't written anywhere that enhancements such as Thorns, Burn, Envenom, and Bleed ignore Mitigation, but it is widely agreed by staff that they do.

<Fighting Familiar> - The "Fighter" Familiar Enhancement has no indication of how much damage the Familiar does.

<Spooky Scary Dice Roll> - Spooky Scary doesn't state which "roll of 10" dice it is referring to. One can assume BD, but we shouldn't be assuming. Also, if it is a roll of 10 BD, does that mean Spooky Scary only activates on attack rolls?

<Performer Material Confusion> - The profession page for Performer specifically says "In order to gain EXP, a recording crystal must be used for the song." The only recording crystal in the game is sold by merchants. But I have seen many performers just use materials and state that the material Is a recording crystal, thus skirting this rule.

<Visibility Rules Location> - "Note Visibility rules: From now on any actions being performed in low light or dark conditions will suffer a -1 to all dice rolls. Expect future content to mention visibility details. Also watch out for monsters who may dwell in the darkness! Some may not suffer from these penalties. A portable light source of some kind will provide light for your immediate vicinity." - This is only stated in the Skill Mods section of the site. It can be easily missed and forgotten about there. And the last bit goes back to saying whether or not using a torch dispells the -1 BD Debuff.

<Skill Mod Upgrades> - If I grab the expert EWL mod and then down the road I get the skill Grandmastered and want to get the GM mod, what do I do? Can I spend the difference in SP to upgrade my mod? Do I have to spend the whole 15 SP and then have 9 SP essentially wasted? I don't believe this is clarified in the mod section.

<Profession Tool Clarification> - I need clarification if Tools crafted by blacksmith and tailor can be used for all professions (except Merchant of course). Because merchant specifically sells the +1 CD tools for fisherman and performer, and if those can be crafted by other professions than that leads over to the point that Merchants need more than 2 unique items to sell.

<One Dice Roll for All, or One For Each> - It is unclear if players roll one dice for all mobs in a group, or if they roll for each monster individually. Players play both ways, and I don't think either way is illegal, but actual written clarification would be best.