[PP-F5] Crikey, a Croc in a Coliseum! <Butcher of the Sands> (Takao)

"This is as good a place to start as any, theme-wise." Kalesh figured to himself while standing in the exit from Armadillo. This floor held within it an arena where a field boss was waiting. Kalesh himself stood no hope of fighting the monster on his own, even if the system was capable of allowing such a thing to be possible. As it stood one way or another he was going to need help in this fight, and before that he needed help to take on the more powerful enemies in this game. His hiatus had left him with a lot of room for catching up and being of actual help in a boss battle opposed to a burden or worse a corpse. He had crossed the threshold into the second tier and even managed to secure himself a weapon to help him in his endeavor to train. Having spent some time thinking to himself the player's green eyes turned to his menus as he went through and started to type a PM to one of the players who had volunteered to help him get stronger in preparation. Having sent the PM to the player named @Takao, who he only casually knew as someone who was present for Lowenthal's redemption and the finder of floor bosses, Kalesh found himself glancing up at the sky and wiping his brow instinctively with the heat of the floor. He was smiling despite it since he had always enjoyed the feeling of being too hot or too cold opposed to total neutrality. It stimulated his senses and at least made him feel something. Until Takao would arrive he was content to soak in the sun and occasionally sip from a water skin he kept attached to his belt when on the fifth floor.

The day of the boss raid would soon be upon the clearing parties, and there was still plenty of preparation to do. Between the general upkeep of his Cafe which he had mostly put upon the shoulders of his increasingly social familiar, the crafting that would be necessary for the influx of players that would end up asking him for items last minute, and the upkeep of his own skills and leveling, Takao had a lot on his plate. On top of it all, he had decided to take on learning a new weapon skill; the decision wasn't specifically made for this particular boss raid, but it would certainly be helpful. So when the opportunity to help a player out with their own progress, Takao was more than happy to lend a hand. A bit of company helped make the grind less so.

He appeared through the warp gate set in the center of Armadillo, and trotted down the staircase. The soles of his boot hit the sand-covered stone, and ground the small grains into the pathway as he started off in the direction of one of the settlement's exits. Normally he despised the weather of the fifth floor, and today was not much different, although having a goal in mind helped to stave off the miserable heat. He dealt with weather patterns on either extreme end of the spectrum terribly, and preferred the more tame climates of some floors. "'ey Kalesh." Takao called out as he reached the exit. "Y'ready to get goin'?"

The red haired player looked over when he heard himself being greeted and his name, smiling when his jade eyes locked onto Takao. He raised a hand in greeting to the other player who he was eager to thank ahead of time for the help "Hey, how's it going, Takao?" He says with a smile while starting to go through menus with one hand. "Be ready in a second, thanks for the help by the way!" Takao gets a quick party invite and Kalesh hits one more button before closing his menus up. With a shine of light his hands were covered in the long clawed fingers of his newest weapon. He raises the hand with blades the size of daggers on each finger and says "Not exactly my preferred size, but hey, can't beat free and it'll last me a loooong time." He moves his fingers independently one after the other as if getting used to the weight still. "So, we're gonna be fighting Sando Satsu, in the arena that way." He points a metal finger to the distance. "Iiiii've only heard the rumors, but he won't be able to kill me outright at least." He shrugs his shoulders, it was as good a reason as any not to waste a safeguard right away in Kalesh's mind. "Take it you're ready?" He says with a slight grin as he turned towards the desert to begin the journey to the arena in question.

"S'goin' alright. You?" Takao said, returning the greeting with the expected polite response. His off-hand found its way into his pocket while his other rose to accept the party invitation before following suit with the other hand. "No problem, man. We're helpin' each other out here, really." He responded, watching as Kalesh equipped himself with an odd pair of weapons. He often found himself needlessly questioning the logical effectiveness of some weapons, and the claw weapon skill was among those frequently mulled thoughts. Ultimately, it was a game, and the only logic the game followed was what was balanced and fair. To whatever extent a game of death could be fair, at least.

"Sando Satsu," He parroted, diving into his own inventory in the moments that followed. He navigated to the inventory screen and unequipped the sword resting over his left shoulder, which promptly disappeared in blue light. In its place, he equipped a smaller weapon: a dagger. Along with the scabbard it came with, both pieces of equipment appeared in the same blue light across his lower back. "I know how y'feel with the whole "preferred size" thing. I'm still trying to get used to this thing out-damaging my sword." Takao said as he reached to his back and pulled the plain looking dagger from its scabbard, and examined the steel that followed the same theme of a bi-coloured blade that all his weapons followed. Takao nodded in response to Kalesh and followed alongside him, heading toward the arena of the Butcher.

Kalesh smirked at Takao's return question and said "Pretty good I'd say all things considered. Have the gears in my head spinning right." He chuckled softly, getting back into things after his absence was a bit of an ordeal but he survived it and hoped he was stronger for it. Kalesh himself was immediately curious when Takao changed weapon class. To him almost everybody in this game opted for the 'master of one' than 'user of many' strategy. "Hmm. Two weapon types, eh? Not a bad idea, but I can't spare the SP yet." He says with a shrug of his shoulders before looking down at his hands. "Hey, maybe in the future I'll pick up a greatsword again like when I first started. These weapons aren't exactly built for reach." He looks his own hand over appraisingly. "I actually prefer my Wild Dance weapons be smaller. Like a gauntlet with pointed fingers, closer to what a martial artist in this game would use than going Freddy Kruger on people." He lowered his hand back down to his side as he walked forward. "I am very indecisive. I've respecced every chance I got. Heavy armor and Greatsword to light armor and Katana and then to Wild Dance." He sighed softly as he was sure that given the chance he'd try to rebuild his stats all over again. "Sucks I can't make alt accounts..."

Turning his eyes to the sandy horizons in front of them he idly asked the more experienced player "So, kill stuff on the way, or avoid monsters until we get there?" Every player had a preference in his mind. Some would rather save their energy, others would rather make the most out of a trip no matter the direction or destination. Kalesh himself was pretty easy going about such things, but if strong-armed into an answer he would rather a peaceful trip. Killing stuff on the way gave profit so he'd never object to it however.

Takao chuckled and nodded along, even if he couldn't say the same for himself. "Yup, goin' for three actually." Takao said as he spun the dagger by its nearly nonexistent cross-guard, which acted more as a hand stop than a form of protection, and slid the dagger back into its scabbard. "I end up doing most things all solo like, so being able to switch between the best damage, best area of effect, and general utility is kinda necessary. It's nice to be able to swap." He said, hands falling back into their original place in his pockets as they strolled through the miserable desert environment. "I'm cool with avoiding monsters 'til we get there. This desert heat drains my energy like crazy. I don't think it's that far of a walk either. Oh, also, I know where there's meant to be a dungeon... at least the general area, anyway. We could check it out after we finish the quest up, if you're down."

The crimson haired player nodded in response to Takao "That makes sense to me I suppose, even if mastering three weapons is a bit too costly for me." He chuckles softly with a shrug "I'm going to be focusing on giving myself a good base before I start branching out into the 'special' stuff. Like upping my armor skill, get some mods, maybe invest in howl for if I am paired with a newbie in the future." His shoulders shrugged and his eyes moved skyward slightly as he puzzled out his 'build' in his mind. "Baaasically, as an end result I want to be able to take a punch without using a shield." He obviously wasn't wearing platemail, so he wasn't going to be going full mitigation. "Hm... Now there's an odd idea, once I feel comfy, I can save up a hundred SP, and then dump it all in heavy armor and a weapon. Wear fully body armor and just go everywhere in disguise when I am bored or not in a dungeon." He chuckled at the ridiculous idea of living a double life as a greatsword wielding warrior as well as a claw user in light armor. "Even to me that sounds silly. But hey, that's the fun of RPG, make your stupid builds work...  And as for dungeons? I'm down."

Edited by Kalesh

"Hah, I like that. You could totally Robert Strong it up. That'd be pretty cool to see, and I don't think anybody's dual-classed armour skills yet either. It's always cool to be at the forefront of your field." Takao said, jade eyes focusing on the nonexistent road ahead of them that would eventually lead to the arena he had seldom visited in the past. He had only seen the beast itself a handful of times before, as he seldom found players seeking assistance in this particular excursion. "You could always just carry a load of consumables on you for mitigation bonuses. Without using a shield, you'll probably always be closer to the bottom of the tank gamut." Takao said. He had considered taking up the block skill himself at one point, especially when the issue of sacrificing damage for mitigation had been circumvented, but he'd pushed the thought onto the back-burner for the time being. He had other things to focus on, and that thought lead him to the upcoming boss raid, which he assumed Kalesh would be participating in. In the interest of small talk that wasn't so small in reality, Takao opted to speak. "So eh... You heard about what happened in the last few raids?"

Kalesh smirked at the reference and said "It's a cute idea, but something tells me the armor mods aren't going to stack." He shrugs his shoulders "Plenty of time to plan it out." It's not like he was sitting on a hoard of SP to throw around on a whim. For the time being he wasn't going to be being too adventurous if it sacrificed his actual efficiency. "I'm not really planning on being a 'tank' so much as a 'sponge'. Like, I am thinking of having decent mitigation from the skill and armor, and I will likely use consumables too..." he takes a sip from his water to help keep his throat from drying up as he spoke. "But I am going to be using thorns too, and not a lot of evasion, just a little." He looks down at his claws "These things are built for endurance, for not running out of energy easily... That and critical hits. So I am going to be trying to maximize that. Crit? Bleed. Getting hit? Doing damage. Hitting? Doing damage. Other guy used his tough stuff at the start and is low on energy? Mine is regenerating almost as fast as I can spend it... Might get some passive health regen too. That kind of thing" He was trying to think of a way to maximize his weapon's strengths so their weaknesses wouldn't be too big of a concern. "Only Kayaba knows if it'll work in practice... But I am willing to see if I can run the long-con in combat." 

When conversation turned to the floor battles he shrugged his shoulders and said "I haven't heard what happened in the most recent one, just the one before that." He decided not to mention that it was from Opal's lips directly, just to avoid conflict. "Opal and Oikawa killed people... I actually met Oikawa for the first time recently, without remembering quite who he was." He chuckled softly, glad that the orange player had opted against wiping him out of the harddrive. "What happened during the latest one, though?... More of the same...?" He looked to Takao, his attention fully on the other player instead of the closing distance towards the arena. It wouldn't be long before it would start to show over the horizon. "... Not changing subject, but are there other claw users up on the frontlines?"

"Well, luckily you can't screw up builds too badly in here. Everything has a purpose and is useful in some situation, more or less." He said, following his words up with a shrug. The path of any one "class", as they had been titled, was an incredibly linear process. There was an inherent problem with allowing people to custom-craft their skills and abilities in a game that lead to a plethora of balancing issues as well, of which there were several examples. Takao didn't like to think of himself as one, but given his penchant for exploiting the systems to his own benefit, it was a bit more true than he'd prefer.

He nodded slowly to Kalesh despite his gaze not once wavering from the path forward. "More of the same. Manta and Ebony this time." He said, his jaw set while thinking. "Teayre went mental killed them and the boss at the same time-- dunno if you know her, but she's Calrex's wife. I haven't seen her since, doubt she'll be showing up to the raids in the future now too... at least if she's smart." With the arena closing in after a bit of walking, Takao drew the dagger from his back and spun it into a comfortable position within his grasp. "No claw users yet, surprisingly. I figured we'd have seen at least one by now... anyway, y'ready to do this?"

Kalesh nodded in agreement with that statement "True. Still frustrates my brain when I end up using points I don't... well, use." He shrugs his shoulders and listens to Takao's next words with a sigh "Yeah, I know them both fairly well. Well, before I disappeared that is... I'm... Actually surprised Teayre of all people would go off the rails like that, she was a nice." One hand moved under his jacket to his hip where an accessory was hidden under his jacket, touching the mask softly. "I'll... keep a look out in the future." He says while wondering how she'd react to him. He didn't know the specifics or even all that much about Ebony and Manta if he were to be entirely honest, so it was a bit tough for him to judge objectively. "Well, I guess I will be the first again... I almost joined the front lines earlier, before I... Well, stopped seeing the light of day for a while." he smiles weakly. "Actually kinda comforting that my seat hasn't been taken." 

When the words Takao said about being ready clicked in his mind he nodded softly to the more experienced player after shaking distracting thoughts from his mind. "Yeah, I am ready. At least, as ready as i think I can get." He took a deep breath as the arena drew closer and closer by the step until they were almost upon it. The moment both their feet hit the arena's floor a quest pop-up appeared in front of their faces. Kalesh accepted it right away and looked to Takao a moment while lowering his own body and pointing a clawed hand forward in wait. Once Takao accepted as well the crocodile-like warrior surged out from the sand, propelled by some unknown force to land on the opposite end of the arena. It let out a mighty roar towards the two players to show its outrage that anyone dared to challenge it. He figured the overgrown lizard viewed itself some kind of champion.

"Just another ѕhit hand we've gotta deal with." Takao said. It seemed that with each day that passed and with each raid the frontlines embarked upon, their situation became worse. The mortality rate of the last three boss raids was staggering, especially when compared to the boss raids before them. If those numbers continued, their future looked grim. "This game takes its toll on you, man. I'd heard she was goin' through some stuff and I could kinda see it in her eyes, but I just..." He exhaled a sigh and shook his head. "I don't have even the slightest idea what t'think anymore." He said. There had been a time where Takao considered that eventually, their mental states in the real world would decay, and their in-game reality would be damaged as a result. It wasn't an idea he cared to put much thought into.

With the thumb of his gloved right hand, Takao accepted the quest and set his eyes forward. The familiar roar of the monster rung in his ears as it burst through the sand, glowing eyes set upon them with programmed ire and hatred. With his dagger in hand, only a simple motion was required to activate the weapon's strongest sword art. "I'll go for the first hit." Takao said before utilizing the activation of his «Charge» skill to close the distance between himself and the large butcher of the sands. Four large wounds were carved into its flesh, tearing away at its health gauge and reducing it considerably before Takao was stuck in the post-motion slump of motionlessness.

ID: 61083
BD: 2 + 3(ACC) + 1(Concentration, 5/5)
(I'll leave the MD roll to you, since it's your quest.)

Takao: 253/253 (55/62) (-16)
Sword Art: «Eternal Cyclone»
Damage: 13(Base) + 5(Charge) = 18 * 16(SA) = 288 DMG
Hate:

Sando Satsu: 82/350 (288 - 20(MIT) = -268HP)

Sando Satsu roared in outrage at the other player who had dared to attack him, raising his massive glaive and getting ready to spin with out held out to slice everybody present, Kalesh included! The red haired player didn't want to deal with the damage such an attack would deal so he ran forward after Takao without hesitation. As Takao recovered from the combo he had unleashed on the humanoid crocodile Kalesh closed the distance until he was in range. Getting into position his claws started to glow crimson as the sword art triggered! His actions were wild and furious looking, claws swinging in all directions to slice across the boss's virtual flesh, leaving trails of fishnet patterns across the monster's body before it finally let out a final roar of anger and shattered. Kalesh had seen a glance of the creature growing larger and more outraged but by that points its hitpoints had been extinguished.

Turning to Takao after letting out a relieved sigh from the closeness, he held up his thumb approvingly "Whew, he wasn't so tough!" He said with a slight smile. He was well aware that was likely only because Takao had been there to help him out. That was his second strongest sword art, but his damage would have really shone if he had been able to trigger a critical. They both got the message confirming the boss's death and the quest rewards. The previous talk of murders was out of his mind right now, he didn't want to think about that kind of stuff while in the wilderness where he could be jumped if he wasn't paying attention. "Well, thanks for the help. I'll compare the weapon he dropped to mine later. We still going to go for the dungeon?" He asked curiously while going through his rewards screen and noting that a material had dropped as well. Neat.

[ID# 61109][BD: 4+2=6][LD: 17][MD: 10] ((It's cool since either way your MD would've been a miss!))

Kalesh: 104/104 HP | 17/26 ENG (-9) | 7 MIT
Action: Blood Frenzy (9x1x12=108)

Sando Satsu: Dead/350 (-108+20=88) | 20 MIT

+1 Material
+1 Claws of the Sands

Edited by Kalesh

"Prolly won't be any better than your current weapon. All the mob drops are rubbish unless they come from a floor boss." Takao said, and in his eyes the words were honest. The only items he had ever found to be of any use were consumable drops, and even then their uses were slowly becoming irrelevant. The game was consistent with not placing enemies with mitigation that couldn't be out-damaged in front of him, so status effects weren't of any use in comparison to simply powering his way through with nuclear damage. He did often find nice places within his home to display the weapons however, as they often did have a certain pleasant aesthetic appeal about them.

Takao spun the dagger within his palm again before reaffirming his grasp and sliding it down into the scabbard on his back. The subject of the prospective dungeon had arose once more, which meant the dagger would be of little necessity for quite a while. "I'm down, lemme swap back to my sword." Takao said, and did as he'd said. A quick dive into the menu and subsequently the inventory had lead to the disappearance of his dagger, and its place the sword he'd been wearing earlier reappeared. "Right, should be around here then."

- -

Advanced Dungeon located.

ID :: 61124
LD :: 29
(19(LD) + 5(S&D) + 3(HoM) + 2(Detect))

Kalesh nodded in understanding, holding up a claw he said "Probably not, but variety would be nice." He says with a smile while Takao switched out his equipment. "Worst case scenario I sell it to a merchant for profit." he shrugged his shoulders weakly as he moved to follow Takao wherever he lead while walking beside him. Kalesh would just have to come to terms with the fact his weapon wasn't going to be the most damaging thing in the world no matter the situation. Its damage was limited compared to other weapons. It only matched medium damage weapons when it landed a critical hit, and high damage weapons totally outclassed Wild Dance. Kalesh didn't even have any AOE like the low-damaging weapons, and no stuns beyond rank 3. He momentarily wondered if he would have been better off investing in martial arts, which did equal damage outside of criticals before refocusing his attention.

Placing a hand on his own shoulder he begins to stretching his arm, getting ready for the dungeon to come. "I'll leave the searching to you. I don't have any points in search & detect." He shrugged his shoulder, mentally viewing the skill as a luxury skill, albeit a very convenient one. He wasn't quite ready to start investing in such an ability with what little SP he had after getting martial arts high enough for his claws to actually do something special when critical hitting. It was basically required learning if you used the weapon.

"Guess you're probably right there. I can't really go talkin' about not likin' variety without sounding like a hypocrite, yeah?" He said, chuckling lightly and shrugging. Green eyes set about their surroundings once more. It was a desert, and landmarks were few and far between. Had it not been for the map that was built into their menus, he could only imagine how many players would be lost in the vast fields of sands and dunes. Luckily, however, Takao could boast some skill in navigation. The Search and Detect skill had a plethora of advantages to it, and giving him a bit of a natural heading was one of them. When accompanied by the reveal and detect skill mods, locating things that would otherwise be invisible to the unassisted eye was easy, which was precisely how Takao noticed the half-buried dungeon entrance in the distance. "'ey, there we go." He said, gesturing toward the entrance.

After covering the short distance, Takao glanced through the darkened entryway and glanced over his shoulder to Kalesh. "I'll hop in first, I think I only see a couple hangin' around in this first room." He said before tightening the grip on his sword and sliding down the sand and into the dungeon. Upon delving into the darkness, he found that the torches lining the pitch black hallway began to light one by one and illuminated the path forward, in typical dungeon fashion. Utilizing his charge skill to close the distance between himself and the four monsters that lurked in the freshly illuminated entryway, Takao tore through each of the group and sliced them all in twain, leaving nothing but fragments of data behind. "Alright, looks good."

ID: 61127
BD: 7 + 3(ACC), (Concentration, 3/5)

Takao: 253/253 (53/62) (+1/-4)
Sword Art: «Rage Spike»
Damage: 13(Base) + 5(Charge) = 18 * 2(SA) = 36 DMG
Hate:

Dune Rat: 0/25 (36 - 6(MIT) = -30HP)

11/15 Remaining

Kalesh followed Takao as he revealed a dungeon, happily nodding to the stronger players' plan. "Sounds good, go for it." With Takao leading Kalesh followed only a few steps behind, He understood how aggro worked, so proximity didn't matter so long as Takao was the one taking point. He watched as the brunette dispatched the small pack of rats, a smirk crossing his lips as he said with a shrug "Sometimes I really wish these things had AOE." He rolls his eyes before looking around for anything he could do to contribute. He noticed a rat that Takao had missed a straggler from the main pack. It charged towards the players with a squeak of vengeance!

As the rat jumped into the air to attack Kalesh took a step forward and swung downward with his claw, the bladed fingers piercing through the rat's body and making it shatter harmlessly in the air before getting too close to them. He shrugged his shoulders and said "That's the best I can do in a dungeon like this, I'll handle any stragglers or enemies hiding out on their own." He smiled to the Takao, willing to put in the effort as best as he was able.

[ID# 61129][BD: 4+3=7][CD 12:][LD: 17]

Kalesh: 104/104 HP | 17/26 ENG (+2 -3) | 7 MIT
Action: Flesh Rend (1x3x12=36)

Dune Rat: Dead/25 (-36+6=-30) | 6 MIT |

+1 Material

10/15 Remaining

Edited by Kalesh

"Don't worry 'bout it, I'll handle the brunt of 'em." Takao said, eyes already set upon the next group of enemies that would impede their progress. As he continued further into the dungeon and down the halls, which had certainly been inspired by Egyptian themed ruins, another quartet of monsters leapt from the darkness. He was quick to combat them, utilizing the same sword art that had obliterated their companions earlier in the dungeon and slicing each of the monsters in twain as they approached. Another field of colourful data fragments were left in his wake, and he continued forward. "You'll have a better time with the boss up 'ere. This thing's not too good on the damage front."

ID: 61163
BD: 3 + 3(ACC), (Concentration, 2/5)

Takao: 253/253 (50/62) (+1/-4)

6/15 Remaining

He nodded in understanding, not about to doubt the guy who actually had done this before, probably many times in the past. "Gotcha, well, contribution is contribution." He told himself that at least, pretty sure he could at least put enough of a dent into the rat's numbers that Takao wouldn't need to send out two more attacks before the boss. Much like the previous rat he found a straggler away from the main horde and sliced it apart with his claws, watching the creature shatter into nothingness save the material in his inventory. "... Not sure how much I can get done with rat fur, but hey, profit!" He said softly while looking around the area curiously. "So, do all floors have these secret underground ruins, or are we just invading a pharaoh's tomb and destroying the balance of this floor?" He imagined an army of mummies assaulting the main town as part of a curse. "I'm sure I'll survive the boss, especially since I got help" He smirked to the other player as they were left with only the final third of the dungeon.

[ID# 61164][BD: 10][CD: 3][LD: 18]

Kalesh: 104/104 HP | 15/26 ENG (+1 -3) | 7 MIT
Action: Flesh Rend (1x3x14=42)

Dune Rat: Dead/25 (-42+6=-36) | 6 MIT

+1 Material

5/15 Remaining

Edited by Kalesh

"I've only ever found 'em on floors higher than the fourth, and they scale to the floors too. This one should be just about the weakest we'll be able to face." Takao responded as he prepared to engage the next four. The doors of the boss room had quickly come into view, yet a total of five monsters still blocked their path and impeded their progress. Takao took the initiative with clearing out the bulk of the dungeon's remnants and destroyed four of the remaining five with the same sword art, «Rage Spike», once again. Their fragments of data shimmered in the dull light of the torch flames, leaving only a single monster remaining. "Alright, that one's yours."

ID: 61166
BD: 7 + 3(ACC), (Concentration, 1/5)

Takao: 253/253 (47/62) (+1/-4)

1/15 Remaining