PP-F1 <First day part II> Itzal and Verus

Itzal walked over to Verus.  He had just killed his first mob and felt the amazing sensation of using a sword skill for the first time.  His friend told him about sword skills so he knew that a horizontal sword skill, one that could strike multiple targets in a sweeping blow, was now available to him.  Of course he wasn't going to focus on that for now.  He lifted the sword again, swinging once or twice through the air as he measured it's weight.  He never really pulled it out until now and he realized how easy it was for him to adjust.  Curious, he threw the sword to his left hand and caught it a little clumsily.  Although his arms were equal in strength, he never really used his left hand before.  He decided that if his right arm was immobilized it would be good to be able to use his left arm whenever, so he'd better start practicing with it.  As he swing the blade around, trying to teach his left arm what his right already knew, he looked at Verus.

"Are you always going to come in at the last second or are you waiting till I reach a certain level?"

Verus paused, watching Itzal play around with his best friend. He remembered doing the same thing when he first got his sword. It was truly a great powerful feeling holding a long piece of metal able to do a decent amount of damage. "Oh no, I was just watching to see how you'd do. Plus you had enough health to where even if the mob did hit, it wouldn't kill ya." Verus grinned and motioned for Itzal to come walk with him. "You could probably solo a boar by yourself now, but it would take numerous turns and its just more work than if you had me there." Level one was a bitch. A real bitch, but that was passed him, he's now almost level six and about to be a journeyman with his rapier. Times were good. "So, have you thought about sub skills at all?" 

To this Itzal stared blankly.  His friend hadn't really covered this ground.  He sheathed his sword and turned to Verus who was grinning.  Obviously he was familiar to how Itzal was feeling right now.  

"I actually haven't heard of sub-skills.  Could you clarify?"  (I know it's short but I'm running out of time)

"Well I'm a little different on my views of skills." As they walked, he put his hands behind his head, holding it up and angling his view slightly towards the sky, eyes shut while doing so. "See, I think of sword level and armor level as primary skills, while everything else is sorta sub-skill. I know that all skills are pretty equal but it's just how I see it." His thoughts faded quickly as his eyes followed some of the low-flying clouds. It had been sunny every day he'd been in here so far, and he was craving some rain.   He was overly silent for half a minute or so, picking back up on where he left of. "I mean like, fishing or sneaking or well....now that I say it out loud it sounds a little absurd." Verus chuckled and put his arms down, looking straight ahead on the dirt road they were walking on. 

Itzal thought for a moment.  He thought Verus was partially right.  Fishing and cooking, things like that would definitely be sub skills.  But things like sneaking, blacksmithing.  Those were primary too.  Armor and swords were important, but Itzal thought that the major skills were what made classes like knights, thieves, craftsmen and, in most other games, mages.  As for this game combat skills were all that mattered.  Even so, Itzal loved playing music.  It was a hobby of his in real life and he'd like to learn to play the lute if the game had it.  He wouldn't tell anyone of course.  It would be a secret pleasure of his.  Nobody had to know.  Particularly someone he'd just met.

"I guess if I was to pick other skills it would be sneak and search," he said.  "Maybe weapon throwing at some point.  How would you recommend I progress with that?"

"Never pegged you for the rogue type." Verus replied, letting out a slight yawn while speaking his next sentence. "But hey, to each their own. Oh and hell if I know, everybody's different. For all I know you could become like....like a lute master or something." Verus began to snicker a little but regained his composure, thinking about what he wanted. "I still have no idea what other skills I want besides rapier and light armor proficiency. I guess I'll figure it out as the world goes on." He nodded, fingers forming into a tight fist. He wanted the power to come faster than it was, but knew it would take months of his time. A small sigh escaped him and he rested is left hand on the grip of his sword, looking forward. "So..."

Itzal didn't know if he knew about his interest in music or if he just so happened to think of lute at that moment.  Either way it made him a bit uncomfortable and was glad when he changed the subject.  The way Verus talked about his rapier and armor skills made him wonder.  Rapier and light armor.  No thoughts of any other skills.  Itzal wondered if all this man wanted was speed.  If so, why did he seek it?  Itzal wanted his skills to become untouchable.  Striking from the shadows ensured the element of surprise, and the ability to gather intel without fear.  The search skill was mainly to ensure he himself was not snuck up upon.  He would not be hunted by anyone anymore.  No bully.  No pranksters.  And never a pker.  Itzal nodded when Verus gazed at a boar in the distance.  Itzal checked to ensure it had no comrades before nodding back to him.

"I'm doing this myself this time right?"

"I mean, you can if you want to. But soloing it without me joining in will be much tougher. Its armor will play in if you're wanting to kill it for loot too." He started to nod slowly, playing with his hair while doing so. "It's not like I can stop you, but I would advise you not to start soloing stuff yet." Verus paused, waiting for a quick response afterwards. He started to tap his hand against the hilt of his rapier, watching the boy. (Short post brb)

Itzal nodded.  He was eager for the ability to fight mobs without having to depend on others, but he couldn't rush himself.  'I mean' he thought to himself.  'It would be nice if I had a friend or two who wouldn't mind fighting along side me.  As long as I can call for their help when I really need it.'  He smiled and nodded.

"Yeah I could use your help a little more.  So how are we going to do this?  I don't want to be a tank, taking all the hits, but neither do I want to sit back throwing all the easy hits while someone else takes all the risks."  Caution over anything else is something he learned in the real world.  Something he decided however, was that in this world nobody would cover for him.  For years his friend would step between bullies and him, enduring the beating before they finally turned to Itzal.  He still got a good beating but his friend was beyond harmed.  Itzal refused to let someone else endure pain, or worse die, for him in this game.

Edited by Itzal

"Oh hell, I'm definitely gonna tank these first few for ya. No point in you dying in two hits." Verus exclaimed rather loudly, stepping slightly forward with his right leg. A sense of protection surged through him, and he tried to use it to his best potential. He drew his rapier and pointed at a boar who had seemed to notice their presence. It seemed that most of the animals on this floor liked to grange on their own, setting up perfect opportunities for new players to take them on. There would be no way in the first few levels that a player would be able to take on more than one of these. Verus was fine with that mindset anyway. He would do some grinding, albeit monotonous, but still level grinding. The col would surely come later on. "Besides, it's pretty fun to run in headfirst without having to worry much." A devilish grin bore on his face as he charged at the boar, looking to start off the fight with a decent simple sword art. 

#ID61925

BD:2

MD: 5

-No health changed-

Verus easily sidestepped the boar's slow headbutt, looking to retaliate with an attack of his own. However, while jumping out of the way, he messed up his footing, causing his attack to go marginally above the boar's body when he tried to strike it. "You're up newbie! Show it what you're made of!" 

Itzal was already charging while Verus called, his sword poised for a jab.  The boar noticed him and turned.  

Id# 61927

BD: 3

MD: 8

Boar hp<4 no change

Itzal hp<8 - 3<5

Itzal was about to strike when the sun shined in his eyes, reflecting off of his sword and blinding him.  This effect caused him to step on a loose rock, falling to his knees as the boar charged him.  It didn't hit him head on, but it's tusk did hit his arm, causing Itzal's first hp drop.  It really did feel like the tusk tore through his arm.  He tumbled at first, but quickly rolled to his feet just as soon as he'd fallen.  Itzal mentally chastised himself for forgetting the sun's position and allowing that mistake to happen.  He wouldn't allow it again.  He rose a hand to prevent Verus from interfering.

"No!" he called.  "I still have enough hp for one more shot!  Give me this!"  Verus couldn't see it because he was behind Itzal, but if he could he'd see that Itzal's eyes were burning with hatred.  Hatred from having been harmed, humiliated, and above all, this happened from a stupid weak pig.

Verus shrugged as Itzal missed his attack. When he was at that low of a level he missed a good amount of hits too so it wasn't too big of a shocker. "Maybe next time... maybe next time." He laid a hand upon his new partner's shoulder, putting a little amount of force into it. He was motioning for the new player to step back a little bit; it was Verus' turn. "I'll just auto attack it so you can try and last hit it afterwards."

ID#: 61960

BD:9

MD:5

Verus: 20/20

Itzal: 8/8

Boar: 1/4 (-3)

With a simple piercing stab, Verus struck the boar in it's left eye, causing it to squeal rather loudly. There was a strong surge that went through his body once he landed his attack to a point where he could only assume it was a critical hit. The animals eye sputtered and a large red pixelate gash was placed over it. It was interesting how the game was coded in such a way to mock wounds in a certain way that still gave a deadly feel. Verus genuinely enjoyed being able to create those gashes and gushes of pixels that would flow from a mob's body. It was exhilarating. "You're up newbie." 

Determined to hit it this time Itzal was already preparing his attack.

Id:  61989

BD:  6

Verus:  20/20

Itzal: 8/8

Boar:  0/4 (-1)

Itzal charged and swung his sword with all his strength in a powerful pierce with his left hand.  He almost missed due to his still practicing with his off hand, but it was enough.  The blade cut along it's backside, close to where it's spine would be.  He sheathed his sword even as he heard it dissipate.  He was pathetic that time and he didn't intend to repeat it.  Be aware of your surroundings, he always thought.  Well now was the time to practice it.

"Right," he said.  "Where's the next one?"

"Good job on that kill friend." Verus grinned, resting his sword slightly on his shoulder. A slight gust of wind picked up and caused a few strands of his hair to flutter, slightly blocking his vision. "Damn hair....I knew I should've picked either something longer or something shorter...." With his left hand he ran his fingers through his hair, using them as a makeshift comb to push them backwards. A barber or hair changer would be somewhere on his to do list in the upcoming days; he was mildly annoyed. "You want more eh? Well let me hit em first. I'll draw it's aggro and you can come in and be the finisher." It was a solid setup to get Itzal some early levels, and Verus honestly didn't mind it. Adhae would be looking for some armor for a while so it was a good way to spend his time. 

ID#61992

BD: 1

LD: 1

-No health changes-

With a slight turn of his head, Verus spotted a wolf creeping up on the small party. In an attempt to look cool, he decided to let the beast creep up on the two, hoping to stab at it mid-pounce or something. What happened though, was not what he had thought out. As the wolf began to pick up speed to try and attack Verus, it tripped on it's own feet and ended up tumbling into a full stop a few yards away from the two. Verus smirked and quickly tried to turn and retaliate to the fallen wolf, only to step on a rock and fall just in front of the beast, laid out flat on the ground. "Welp."

Not waiting to be told so, Itzal ran silently towards the wolf, drawing his sword in a flash and holding it in front of him.

Id# 62014

BD:  9

Verus:  20/20

Itzal:  8/8

Wolf:  1/4 (-3)

The wolf never heard or saw him coming.  Itzal decided to try something new this time and leapt over the wolf.  As he jumped, he jabbed his sword down, stabbing through it's skull and heard it cry out in pain.  A critical hit he assumed, and rolled when he hit the ground, on his feet with his sword in a defensive position.  He couldn't help but grin.  An action like that gave him an adrenaline rush.  He'd never felt such a feeling before and he loved it.  But he knew he couldn't get too into it or he would lose his focus.  After all, he just aggravated the wolf.

Edited by Itzal

While watching Itzal's sword pierce the skin of the beast, Verus scrambled to his feed, getting back into position. However, he felt just slightly off as he stood up. A strange head rush and fuzzy dots slightly messed with his vision; to which he assumed that he had stood up too fast and the blood was messing with his head. He tried to lean forward and jab at the beast, only to hit just over its body. It was if he just pet the wolf with his sword, as it was just resting upon the beasts back for a moment. 

ID# 62023

BD: 3

MD: 7

Verus: 17/20

Wolf: 1/4

The wolf in turn did not seem to like it at all. While still on the ground, the beast rolled and sunk it's teeth into Verus's right foot. He let out a small gasp and tried to kick his foot out of the dog's mouth, looking to Itzal. "Finish it off!"

Edited by trenttrent20

Itzal started from the sight of his friend being attacked, than remembered how he was a higher level and told himself not to worry.  The thought of his friend in danger however put him on edge.  He charged the wolf, charging his sword art, and leapt into the air yelling, causing the wolf to let go and turn to where he was, and slashed down at the wolf.

Id# 62030

BD:  6

Verus:  17/20

Itzal:  8/8  <- 1 energy:  1/2 energy

Wolf:  0/4< -2

His sword glowed dark red, and soon the glow and pixels of blood became so uniform that it was difficult to tell which was which.  As he landed he did not turn to his fallen foe whom he could hear shattering behind him.  Itzal looked worriedly at his new friend.

"You alright?" he asked.

Verus watched as the gash on his foot began to close up, the visual aspects returning to its normal state. "Yeah that wasn't my first hit." He leaned backwards with his arm to push himself off the ground, and twisted his back slightly, hoping for a popping sound to follow. "Good hits by the way." The two of them had killed a decent amount of mobs, and there was a look in Itzal's eye that made Verus think he wasn't done. He methodically sheathed his rapier and put his hands on his hips, looking around the area. "So, you doing okay? Not tired or anything? Hungry maybe?" Verus quickly opened his menu and pulled out one of the few loafs of bread he had left. "I could share some with you if you want. I mean, i'm not too hungry but I can always eat." He wore a wide grin and held out a piece of the loaf. 

Itzal shook his head and began opening his menu.

"Thanks for the offer, but you've already done so much.  I have some bread from the beginner's pack, so I can handle myself in that sense."  He grinned.  "Thanks for the offer though."  Itzal sat down and began eating his bread.  It Didn't have any flavor and it dried his throat a little with each bite.  Sensing he would need it soon, he went ahead and pulled out the water.  Itzal missed his mom's macaroni and cheese.  It was addictive.  He was always told to eat it last.  He could eat anything without worrying about the pasta, but as soon as he had some, he'd devour half the container in no time.  He also missed pizza of course.  Anyone who didn't like pizza was either crazy or stupid.  He looked at his bread and realized that he wouldn't have time to seek out good food in this game.  He'd have to spend all his time and effort increasing his power.  He decided to take his mind off of his lack of good food.

"So, is this how you started?" he asked.  "I mean, having to have someone help you out the first few steps?"

"Oh I figured I may as well ask." Verus started to tear at the bread, breaking off about half or so before storing the rest back in his inventory. He was longing for something other than his daily bread and water, but knew that this was how it would be for a couple more levels. With each passing nibble of the bread, Verus felt slightly better. He wasn't sure if it was the nonexistent taste, or just that it gave him something to chew on; it just made him feel good. He perked up a little at Itzal's questioning, finishing off a large piece of bread before responding. "In a way, yes." He swallowed the remnants of the content that was leftover in his mouth and spoke a little louder. "I got into an argument with players at a tavern and I met my partner there." Verus smiled softly, putting away what bread he had left in his hands. "We were both level one and just eager to go out and well, get stronger ya know. I would've died if I went out there alone, though I probably didn't think I would at the time. I felt pretty damn strong."