Advice on skill leveling

So I want Itzal to become a master scout to help the front lines.  I'd like him to find the boss rooms, sub-dungeons, and anything else he can help with.  He's also a great strategist so there's that too.  I made a list of skills I know I want Itzal to have:

Straight sword

Light armor

Sneak

Search

Battle healing

Picking

I'm not sure which ones to invest in first, though I already have rank 3 sword, and rank 1 armor and sneak.  I wanted some advice on this so I came here

I would say definitely GM your weapon skill first out of all of those skills as to be honest the more damage you're able to pump out as a non-tank build is extremely important, that and GMing your weapon means that even if you're not extremely powerful you can make a reasonable contribution to floor boss fights (once you've reached a safe level that is). If you want to be a scout I would go for search and detect  so that you can become a good one as soon as possible after GMing your weapon (you may want to invest in some EVA equipment as your mitigation won't be extremely high). After that you could go for sneak if you want and eventually do what Opal does (although it's a bit of a jerk move) which is to stay hidden and strike when the boss is nearly dead to get the last hit bonus, or if you want to be a little more helpful attack when you're needed to attack with your stealth protecting you from being attacked until you do so. Alternatively you could go for light armour to make yourself a little more durable (which I would recommend but that's my tank bias speaking). Picking as far as I know is better for chests and such so probably isn't what you want to focus on straight away due to the fact that battle healing is so much better to get, with battle healing you can stay in a fight for quite a while even if you take a hit despite being a rather vulnerable DPS build. 

This is just advice from what I know about the skills and I wouldn't take my word as law on the subject as I'm a tank and I known more about how tank builds prioritise skills. You may want to ask someone like Takao who is a godly scout (the man finds floor bosses the day the floor is open for scouting). Either way I hope your build ends up working for ya buddy 

Xion pretty much hit the nail on the head. You'll want to go damage first, then hit S&D Rank 3, and pick up reveal ASAP. Once you do that, you can start hitting up dungeons which will help you level ASAP. get S&D to Rank 4 and you can always pick up an item that gives you 1 rank in your S&D skill and save yourself all of those skill points.

You'll probably want to pick up Cook as a profession so that you can get food that will help give you bonus to LD and possibly Picking? I dunno. Picking isn't used in finding the bosses, but with a high S&D, Reveal, and a picking skill, you'll be super popular cause everyone will want you along for dungeon runs, and you'll be able to find the boss no problem. The rest of it just comes down to kitting your equipment, which having a high +LD will help you have mats and Col.

Third I would probably mix it up between armor for survivability, and charge for the extra damage. You want to walk that fine line where you can one shot foes of your level, preferably AoE (which is what 2HSS is the best at). Dagger is pretty much the best single target damage (currently).

So

1) Straight Sword (to R4
2) S&D (to rank 3)
4) Reveal
5) GM straight sword
4) S&D to rank 4
5) Picking Rank 1 or 2
6) charge to rank 1 or 2
7) light armor to rank 3
8) athletics
9) max S&D
10) rank 4 armor
11) rank up charge
12) rank up picking

10 - 12 can be arranged as you see fit

24 minutes ago, Itzal said:

Some of those are mods right? I read them but still don't completely understand how to get them

To get a mod you need the to reach a certain rank in the skill it's tied to. For example, Athletics is a mod you can get once you reach rank 3 in your armor skill. If you have the third rank and 9 additional SP to spend then you can get it so you have a slight boost to health and damage.