[PP-F10] Cry of the soul <Itzal, Hiru, Baldur> <<Wail of the Banshee>> Completed

Baldur cursed as they found themselves surrounded by <<Undead Guardian Zombies.>> They had not been ganged up on like this the last time Baldur had come through here. More than anything, though, he was worried about Itzal, since neither he nor Hirru had been able to secure a solid hate lead. His blue eyes glances quickly around them. The two Hirru had knocked out of the wall cut off their flank, so the best thing that Baldur could hope to do is push through to give them room to maneuver.

"I'll open up a path, push through immediately!"

Rushing up to the four mobs he had engaged, Baldur quickly activated his <<Gen Getsu>> sword art. Each slide of his black and red katana caused an azure rush of air from the blade around him as he darted between the mobs, making sure he got all four of them with the art.

"Now!" Baldur yelled as he spun around to hold the way forward for them, the polygons of the fallen guardians raining around him. There were only two left. It was still enough to be lethal to Itzal, but if they could keep them on himself or Hirru, they could easily clean them up... assuming more didn't show up.

[ID#66300 BD: 4=3-1=6 (hit)] <<Gen Getsu>> 12x6=72-15 (mit) = 57

<<Baldur>> HP: 140/140 | EN: 21/35 | DMG 12 | MIT 48 | EVA 1 | ACC 3 (-12/+1)
<<Undead Guardian Zombie>> 
HP: 0/40 | DMG 30 | MIT 15
<<Undead Guardian Zombie>> HP: 0/40 | DMG 30 | MIT 15

<<Itzal>> HP: 80/80 | EN 20/20 | DMG 6 | MIT 3 | EVA 2
<<Hirru>> HP: 124/124 | EN 29/31 | DMG 11 | MIT 25 | EVA 1 | ACC 2 
<<Undead Guardian Zombie>> HP: 26/40 | DMG 30 | MIT 15 
<<Undead Guardian Zombie>> HP: 26/40 | DMG 30 | MIT 15  

Edited by Baldur
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Itzal nearly jumped when he saw the wall break, monsters emerging from their hiding spot, then leaped back, standing directly between the two players.  This was the first ambush.  Well, actually the third ambush he'd been in, but they were way above his level.  If Hirru and Baldur weren't here he'd be dead in seconds.  He heard Baldur mention leaving immediately after he cleared a path but he did not intend to flee.  He scanned his opponent and made calculations.  He frowned as he realized that he could deal some damage on them but not enough to kill them.  Dang it I just want to hit one of them!!!  Let me get them!  Not gonna happen.  I don't like running but I have no choice at this point, unless you'd rather DIE.  As much as Ulises hated it he had to admit Itzal was right.  As soon as the four mobs were wiped out by Baldur Itzal dashed like lightning away from the monsters, but not recklessly as he was wary of the possibility of other monsters in hiding.  If we don't fight at all on this trip.  I swear I'm gonna blow.  Itzal took note of that and decided to worry about it later.

Edited by Itzal

The hunter turned his head to see the actions of the other two.  It seemed that Baldur was able to take out his side of the perimeter so that Itzal could get away.  With the safety of their party leader in check, the hunter turned his attention back towards the two guardians.  As they prepared to strike out at him, their attention seemed to shift.  They stopped their attacks and started to head towards the bigger threat, that was the samurai.  It didn't take very long for them to bypass the hunter, but that was a mistake on their part.

As they passed, the blade of the hunter began to glow blue before they both flew out towards the two guardians.  The first two strikes of the sword art hit the first one before transferring on to the second.  Another two slashes would connect before an odd polygon shape would form from the attack.  It wasn't long after that the two would shatter before they could reach out towards Baldur.

When all was said and done, and the particles of shattered mob sparkled towards the heavens, the hunter sighed in relief.

"I don't detect anything else in the area.  We're good, for now."

[ID: 66304]
[BD: 8+2-1] Hit
[Sword Art: Vertical Square] 4x1x11= 44-15(mit) = 29
[MD: 1] Miss

<<Baldur>> HP: 140/140 | EN: 21/35 | DMG 12 | MIT 48 | EVA 1 | ACC 3
<<Itzal>> HP: 80/80 | EN 20/20 | DMG 6 | MIT 3 | EVA 2
<<Hirru>> HP: 124/124 | EN 22/31
 | DMG 11 | MIT 25 | EVA 1 | ACC 2 (+1 en / -8 en)
<<Undead Guardian Zombie>> HP: 26/40 | DMG 30 | MIT 15 (-29 hp)
<<Undead Guardian Zombie>> HP: 26/40 | DMG 30 | MIT 15 (-29 hp)

Edited by Hirru

Baldur let out a deep breath when Hirru was able to flank the final two undead warriors and bring them down with his next attack. They weren't a danger to Baldur per-se, but the longer the fight was drawn out, the more it would turn into a hazard for controlling the ebb and flow of combat. It may have been a tank mentality left over from other MMO's Baldur had played, but he preferred to control combat and keep things as safe as possible - and the key to that was a successful initiation.

Whipping the blade about, Baldur sheathed the katana at his hip and turned to face Itzal.

"Sorry for barking out a command like that, it's force of habit for me. When your surrounded, the best course of action is to blitz a single direction and break the circle so you can get all your enemies in front of you." Baldur gave a bashful smile, "But you really don't have a lot of time discuss tactics in the middle of battle." He gave Itzal and the Jade hunter both a thumbs up, "But you both acted prudently and did exactly what was the best course of action."

Turning back towards the way he had told Itzal to run, further into the dungeon, he nodded his head in that direction.

"You said you don't detect anything else around us? With so many of the trash gathered here, there's no doubt the banshee is nearby."

Itzal listened to Baldur apologize and shook his head.  "Don't worry about it man.  A leader needs to be someone who knows what's going on and what to do.  And while there can be a general leading armies, that leader would need to be a follower in other areas.  Nobody can be a leader in every area after all."  Well, there is one man who can.  Not bringing religion up with them right?  No of course not, that's why I'm talking to you.  Oh yeah.  Sorry.  When Baldur started talking about the best course of action in an ambush Itzal nodded, his mind gears working furiously as he loved talking strategies and tactics.  "Though if there are just too many enemies surrounding a group it's good to have a ring of tanks, with the dps players behind.  In most games they would use long range weapons but not in this game.  And behind those dps would be the healers.  That way the tanks would continuously regenerate health while throwing very strong attacks, the dps dealing massive damage to those foolish enough to come close, and the healers keeping everyone's health up.  So in a way, yours is an offensive tactic and the one I presented was a defensive.  however, the main difference between them would be that our situation only had a handful of opponents with few of us, and the second scenario would probably be a boss event."  He stopped himself before he could go on about boss tactics he had thought of and turned his ears on again, hearing how the banshee would be nearby.  "I'm assuming because you guys are a high level that you have plenty of energy still?"

The hunter nodded toward Baldur while continuing to scan the area as they went on about strategies and tactics.  The range of Search was only a few meters radius around the user, while Reveal would give an xray view through most objects within that radius.  The hunter heard about certain modifications that extend that range to insane levels, and even allows the tracking of individual creatures / players.  That was his next goal to build up to.

There was nothing in the conversation that the two were holding behind him that interested the hunter except for anything that would affect their mission.  Though, through his search, he could something that would resemble a larger room farther down the corridor.  

"I'm getting something down the way.  Let's finish this quest before something else decides to come along.  I have enough for the boss, but only the boss.  Any more crowd control arts, and I'll need to back off."

The hunter said before looking away.

"Our team is small, so quick judgement on all parts is key to success.  We'll be fine as long as we're aware of our surroundings.  Especially with the Banshee.  She has a scream that can stun everyone in the group for a few seconds, though that's all she really needs.  She can easily bypass armor with another move, so step lively and constantly keep her attention away from Itzal."

"Let go!"

Baldur once again took his position at the lead of the party once Hirru gained their baring in Tartarus. He had said that there was a large room ahead of them, and that meant only one thing. The boss fight. His last fight with the banshee had been anticlimactic due to Takao's overwhelming power. Baldur was excited to finally be able to test his mettle against the monster. All they needed to do was prevent her from rolling an executing strike that would paralyze them all and they should be fine.

As they walked down the pitch black hall they came to large double doors, carved with a relief of skeletons and wicked, tattered, hooded figure which seemed to be absorbing the souls of the fallen. It was an ominous sight.

"Alright, here we go. I'll go in for a stun. If we don't finish it off, I should still have enough for a follow up attack, but I don't think it has too much in the way of HP, she's more of an ethereal target, so if you have the concentration skill, this would be the time to use it."

Nodding at each of them, Baldur pushed the doors open and they were suddenly greeted by a tremendous rush of foul air, and wavering scream that pierced the darkness. All around them green candles seemed to ignite in a sudden rush, letting them know that they indeed had found the boss room.

"Head up!"

Streaking down from the ceiling came the disembodied form of <<The Banshee>>, a strange combination of a woman who was at both young and old, her features vaguely translucent as she came to rest upon a large symbol carved into the floor in the center of the room. Baldur immediately rushed into the room as she began her monologue.

"Who is foolish enough to trod upon my sacred chamber? You shall perish, and your souls shall feed my rage!"

As soon as Baldur was within range, he crouched down and entered his <<Charge>> stance as he grasped the handle of his katana. The system kicked in and he streaked across the room like a blue and orange missile. Azure light exploded from his blade as he drew the sword in a sold, clean motion and streaked past <<The Banshee>> as he drew and cut in the same motion, his attack so sudden and powerful that it left the ghostly creature stunned, causing her to appear to drop to the ground on hands and knees had she any.

"Now!" Baldur yelled as he slid to a stop on the far side of <<The Banshee>>. With a solid first hit and a stun landed on the mob, the others could go all out with their attacks without fear of reprisal.

[ID# 66317 BD: 6+3-3 (hit)] 12+2 = 14 x 10 = 140 - 48 = 92 DMG dealt

<<Baldur>>     HP: 140/140 | EN: 10/35 | DMG 12 | MIT 48 | EVA 1 | ACC 3 (-13/+1)
<<Banshee>> HP: 158/250 | EVA 2 | DMG 60 | MD 9-10 Ignores mit | MD 10 AoE Paralyze (STUNNED)
<<Itzal>>         HP: 80/80 | EN 20/20 | DMG 6 | MIT 3 | EVA 2
<<Hirru>>        HP: 124/124 | EN 22/31
 | DMG 11 | MIT 25 | EVA 1 | ACC 2

Edited by Baldur

Itzal watched as Hirru and Baldur agreed to press forward.  As they walked down the path Itzal followed Baldur with Hirru behind, just like the last time.  He wondered why they wanted to finish this quest so quickly.  He had a suspicion that they simply didn't want to babysit him but regretted the thought immediately as that disturbed Ulises.  He began to feel heat emanating from Ulises but it slowly subsided.  Itzal sighed.  Ulises was based off of wrath and when he reached a higher form of rage he usually had the strength to take temporary control of his body.  In those instances all Itzal could do was restrain him to ensure he didn't go too far.  On the bright side, Ulises had recently been working toward developing techniques to keep him calm, or control his anger.  Even now he could mentally feel Ulises breath in and out slowly.  He allowed a smile to his face.  Soon enough they came up to a large set of doors that opened up.  As they entered the room a ring of candles ignited, revealing the target.

The Banshee looked like a spectral woman, twisted as ages melded with each other, appearing not pretty with the youth, but utterly horrific.  Itzal's eyes spotted the bodies dotting the floor as she spoke and his eyes narrowed.  He understood that the npc's souls hadn't really been devoured as they didn't actually have souls, but the site was revolting and he couldn't help but feel terrible for the npcs who had to endure this pain, and would probably have to endure it again later.  He gripped his sword tightly.  Yes, YES!  IT'S ABOUT TIME!  LET'S CRUSH THIS HAG!!!  Itzal nodded in agreement and watched as Baldur used charge and stunned the creature.  While Itzal didn't have charge he was still very fast.  He dashed toward the monster almost as fast as a bullet.  He positioned Retributor preparing to strike the falling monster.  He leaped and unleashed his new strongest sword art.  He began with five precise thrusts, aiming for the spirit's head, shoulders and deep into her sides.  As he passed her, he made three slashes, one across the heart, once through her body, and the final one from the neck down the spine.  He watched as the bleeding effect kicked in.

Huh.  So that's what ghost's blood looks like.  Hahahahaha!!  Yes!  Take that you witch!

"Hirru!  Finish her off!"

---------------------------------------------

ID#  66323

BD:  10

Result

--------------------------------------------

Banshee:  102/250  (6 + crit + Howling Octave = 56 dmg.  Bleeding added: 12 dmg per Banshee turn)

Baldur:  140/140  <>  10/35 energy

Itzal:  80/80  <>  10/18 energy (-8 Howling Octave)

Hirru:  124/124  <>  22/31 energy

Edited by Itzal

"I got it!"

The hunter shouted out before running in with Oath emblazoned with an emerald glow.  The two shot out towards the Banshee in the same fashion as Itzal had before.  He could tell before that the young scout had hit a critical spot, and the only way to further that would be to connect with the same art, in the same spot.  Though he wasn't as fast as Itzal, the precision of a sure kill was always in the sharp eyes that followed.  With a quick burst of five thrusts through her head, shoulders, and sides; effectively miming the results of the previous attack.  Three more identical strikes made the orange gashes appear larger and deeper than before, with the last one bisecting the Banshee vertically.  She gave a slight scream before pausing awkwardly in the air and shattering into thousands of particles. 

When the battle was said and done, the hunter immediately activated his Search and Reveal.  There had to be something wrong with this area.  It was way too easy.

[My next post will be for a sub-dungeon, unless we want to continue to 40 posts for another reason.]

[ID: 66331]
[BD: 10+2-3] Crit +2
[Sword Art: Howling Octave] 8x1x13= 104 DMG

<<Baldur>> HP: 140/140 | EN: 10/35 | DMG 12 | MIT 48 | EVA 1 | ACC 3
<<Banshee>> HP: 0/250 | EVA 2 | DMG 60 | MD 9-10 Ignores mit | MD 10 AoE Paralyze (STUNNED) (-104 hp[DEFEATED]
<<Itzal>> HP: 80/80 | EN 10/20 | DMG 6 | MIT 3 | EVA 2
<<Hirru>> HP: 124/124 | EN 15/31
 | DMG 11 | MIT 25 | EVA 1 | ACC 2 (+1 en / -8 en)

Edited by Hirru

Baldur watched as the others jumped on the boss monster immediately after Baldur had engaged it. They made a surprisingly good team, and while Itzal was below them in gear and level, he managed to land an impressive hit on the boss, taking out a substantial portion of the banshee's health.

As the polygons floated about the room, Baldur gave the two of them a thumbs up as he sheathed his sword in a fluid motion and made his way back over to them.

"Well done everyone." A broad smile split his face as he rejoined them, "I don't think that could have gone more perfectly. I was a little worried that her ethereal nature might have drug this fought out and made it hard to hit her, but you two just nailed her."

His mood excited and uplifted, Baldur watched as Hirru began to search the area. Baldur wasn't entirely sure what he was looking for, so he let the tracker do as he pleased. Turning to face Itzal, Baldur gave him a congratulatory pat on the shoulder.

"So boss, how did we do? We should definitely get some drinks together after this to celebrate."

Itzal wasn't surprised when the monster fell quickly.  With the two stronger players he expected nothing less.  Hirru went to search for something, but what exactly Itzal didn't know.  He might be searching for monsters that were hiding and waiting for the boss to fall.  He also mentioned sub-dungeons earlier.   Maybe he was searching for one of those.  Either way he was scanning the room and although Itzal wished he could ask for some tips on scouting, he decided not to distract him.  Baldur walked over and patted him on the shoulder.  When Itzal heard what he said he resisted the urge to blush.

"If it's ok with you, please don't call me boss.  I don't believe in a single man in charge.  And sure we could celebrate.  I myself don't drink alcohol but there's many other drinks that I would love."  Well, that was fun..  Ish.  I wanted to make more strikes than that.  Don't be greedy Ulises.  You know that the more you want the more  Shut up Felix, don't lecture me.  I was only sayin.  Itzal shook his head with a smile on his face.  Ulises could be so weird sometimes.  "You know any good places to hang out afterwards?"

Whipping his head back and forth, the hunter made sure that nothing else was in the room with them.  He didn't want to end this day by being surrounded by twelve or more mobs from out of nowhere.  Walking around for a short time to find anything hidden behind the walls, the hunter seemed satisfied when he found nothing.  He took a deep breath in and exhaled a sigh of relief.  Walking over to the other two, the hunter gave his report.

"It seems like that was all there was.  I'm actually surprised that there wasn't anything else to trouble us."

He said before grinning towards Baldur when he mentioned a drink or two.  It had been a while since the hunter sat down for a spell.

"I'll take you up on that drink.  Though, I don't know anywhere good on this floor, but Taft on the next floor has a great pub that the Knights of the Blood Oath frequent."

[ID: 66335]
[LD: 6+7-1] Nothing of note

Edited by Hirru

Baldur was a bit surprised at Itzal's more literal interpretation of his words.

"Don't worry about it - I was just being jovial. You're the boss here cause you asked for help and it was your quest, I'm just glad to have had a productive day."

Baldur smiled when the other two said they would happily join in a celebration of a dungeon well fought. When Itzal had asked where a good place to go was, Baldur had meant to recommend the Starlight Cafe on the first floor. He didn't necessarily have an attachment to it, but it was always the first place to jump into his mind since Takao was rarely at the Himawari Cafe anymore. However, when Hirru suggested some place he hadn't been to on Taft, Baldur encouraged it.

"On the 11th? Don't think I've been. I'd love to check it out."

Baldur glanced around the prison like dungeon of Tartarus.

"Normally I'd use a crystal to teleport out at this point, does everyone have one?" Baldur reached into his pack and pulled out two crystalline blocks and tossed one to Itzal. Hirru, being a merchant, he assumed would have one. If they all said that they did, Baldur would hold out his own crystal and say the words, "Teleport, Taft." before the golden flash of light made his form disappear.

Itzal listened as Baldur corrected Itzal.  He still didn't like being called boss but he understood the samurai's meaning and accepted it.  When he heard Hirru mention how he was surprised that there wasn't anything else Itzal shrugged.

"I doubt they would have too much on a quest like this.  Otherwise it would be impossible for players like myself.  The only reason I'm alive this time around was because of you guys.  Thanks again by the way."  When he heard Taft mentioned he smiled.  Oh, he knew Taft.  He had been there twice on random quests.  Not only was it fairly large, but the combination of it being an Italian based city and his excellent skills in parkour gave him the sensation that he was actually in Assassin's Creed, one of his favorite video games.  Before he could tell Baldur that he had never tried a teleport crystal, let alone even own one when the samurai tossed him one.  Catching it with one hand he observed as Baldur teleported.  He grinned at Hirru.  Despite that he was a low level he and Ulises wanted to impress these two somehow.  And Itzal figured that Parkour would be the best way.  "Teleport, Taft."

The hunter nodded towards Baldur when he asked if everyone had a teleport crystal.  Of course, this was a lie.  Although he wasn't a merchant, it wasn't his store to take items from.  As they teleported out, the hunter took out his Emerald Flame, a torch connected to a long staff.  With this, the hunter ventured out of the dungeon as he was sure that everyone else would be on the 11th floor by now.  It didn't take long, but when the hunter exited the small shack, the traveling caravan, The Traveling Flame, sat outside.  The hunter waved towards the Mysterious Merchant that he had known for so long.

"I need a crystal!"

"You'll need coin for that, rune scribe."

"Yeah, yeah."

The hunter said before opening the stores menu to buy one of the teleportation crystals that he sold.  Taking a seat in the back of the wagon, the hunter called out to the merchant whom nodded before taking out a crystal for himself.  (-2000 Col, +1 Teleportation Crystal )

"Teleport!  Taft!"

To everyone on the eleventh floor, the warp gate would seem to enlarge before a large lizard pulling a wagon slowly appeared through the blue light.  They would pull over to the side of the road before the lizard turned invisible again.  She didn't like to be seen in public too often.  The hunter jumped off the back and looked around for the two.  He didn't think that they would move too far, as neither of them knew where the pub was.

Baldur began to worry and pace around the teleport plaza when Hirru was not right behind them. After first, he had thought that the player had merely taken his time, not everyone was as quick with the menu as others, and not everyone kept a teleport crystal somewhere handy. But as the minutes grew longer, Baldur began to fear that something had interfered with Hirru and they might have teleported away just before something had happened. The only thing that kept Baldur from teleporting to the City of Beginnings and checking the Monument of Life was that Hirru was high enough level that there shouldn't have been anything in that floor that could harm him, definitely not at least before he could have gotten a help or something out to Baldur and Itzal. Still, Baldur paced about as nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair factory.

"I'm sure he's fine." Baldur said to Itzal, though really it was more to himself. Then, just as he was about to walk up to the portal in the center of the city, a carriage, which Baldur had never seen move in the game, came out of the portal with Hirru riding on the back of it.

"Hirru! I am so sorry! I thought you had said that you had a teleport crystal. Had I known you didn't have one, I would have just given you one as well."

Relief was clearly painted on Baldur's face when the Jade Hunter emerged uninjured.

Itzal arrived at the familiar Italian town and sighed with content.  He wasn't ready just yet to take on monsters with eleven damage by himself just yet, but he was real close to getting tied two gear.  Once he obtained it he would be much harder to beat.  Still this might be his second favorite floor since it suited his desire for parkour to the fullest.  Itzal was ready to get going but noticed that Hirru hadn't arrived yet.  He sat on a nearby bench while Baldur paced back and forth.  Baldur was obviously worried and whether Itzal wasn't sure what may happen on that floor he knew that nothing would catch him unprepared.  That was one of the many benefits of being a scout.

Finally Hirru arrived.  Itzal smiled.  "Fashionably late.  From what you said earlier Hirru, you know where this place is too?  I can meet you guys there if it's alright with you.  There's something I need to check."  He not only wanted to show them where he would always be superior in, since He had been totally worthless up till now, but he also wanted to see if that annoying npc was still there.

Edited by Itzal

The hunter was nearly bombarded by the samurai that he had only just met on the previous floor.  He seemed relieved that the hunter was not harmed or anything in between.  He waved off those worries to calm Baldur from any rage that would follow.

"No, I should be apologizing for lying to you.  I should have said that I would be awaiting my caravan outside, or sent a message."

The hunter reassured his party members that there was no harm to him when they left.  Though, he could be surrounded by tough enemies, that would only slow him down.  It was then that he looked fairly stern.

"However, it was the better action with the spawn rate on that floor.  If we had stayed longer, Itzal would have been in danger.  The amount of times that we could have been surrounded was much less than the last time I was on that floor, but that doesn't mean that I count on anything to stay that way."

After saying that, the hunter returned to a softer tone.  It was then that Itzal parted ways from them for the moment.  It seemed he had his own business to take care of.

"Alright, we'll meet you at the pub then."

He said before leading Baldur through the streets until they came upon the local pub, the Scarlet Harpy.

Baldur smiled and nodded at Itzal's request to take off and check on an NPC while they made their way to the pub. Hirru appologised about the confusion with the teleport crystal, but Baldur waved off his apology. When Hirru explained why he thought it was a better strategy, Baldur nodded his head in agreement. The issues that Hirru raised were exactly what had run through Baldur's mind as well, he should have just taken his time and gone last. 

"So other than the obvious color affinity, what is it about the Scarelt Harpy that makes it a favorite of the Knights?"

As Baldur walked along with Hirru, he tried to make some small talk.

"I am very surprised that we didn't find any further dungeons, while we were in there. I miss the XP, but I'm glad we were able to get Itzal in and out. Boss mobs with AoE are always rough when helping someone a little lower through them. I need to refresh my stock of Safeguard potions."

Itzal nodded to the two before pulling up his hood and mouthpiece.  Without waiting he turned and scaled up the nearest building, reaching the rooftop within seconds.  When he did he began making his way across the roofs and gaps with lightning speed.  Without the effort of shoving his way through the crowd Itzal could get anywhere in no time at all.  That was one of the great things about having parkour.  He knew exactly where he was headed.  He had been there once or twice but only recently had he become interested in the place.  Ever since he arrived there he noticed a cloaked npc whose face was shaded and hidden.  He would appear in the corner of the room, five minutes after Itzal had arrived.  This happened both times he came to that place and both times the feeling of being watched took over.  Well that is to say Ulises told him that the figure was watching him.  The cloak would always cover every inch of the figure, hiding whatever gear he wielded.  Within the span of a few minutes he was entering the Scarlet Harpy.  Why an Italian themed city would have a place named after Greek Mythology was beyond him but he didn't care that much.

He quickly scanned the room for the stranger and confirmed that he wasn't there.  He never arrived before Itzal but he wanted to make sure.  As he sat down he notified the owner that two others would be joining him momentarily.  As he sat he kept his shaded eyes focused on all possible entrances to the building.  He wanted to see if the figure would appear today with the others.  And if he did he wanted to catch him doing it.  Still, he didn't want to appear suspicious in front of his comrades.