[PP:F6] A Broken Promise, A Peaceful Tomorrow <Deforestation> - Teayre & Calrex

“S-steel our minds?” She stuttered back in reply. “You want to shut me out don’t you?” There was a sharpness to the red heads voice as she took a step back. As her husband turned and broke off the embrace, narrowing her eyes as she swalloed, coughing as she choked on her tears. “I knew it…” Her own voice echoed in the back of her mind. She turned and began to run  in the opposite direction, twisting down a side passageway that the duo had simply walked by. Her feet carrying her quickly down it she didn’t hesistate as several vines appeared in front of her.

Letting out a scream of anger Teayre activated her <<Charge>> skill and her aoe sword art <<Farrant Full Moon>> letting her blade quickly cut through the vines that swiped towards her. The red head wasn’t quick enough to duck out of the way of the attack and felt the pull as her health depleted slightly. “Tch.” She said before looking at the door stepping forwards she kicked it open. In front of her rivers of amber could be seen circling around the dungeon boss. Raising an eyebrow she shrugged as she began to walk down towards the boss.

Farrant Full Moon: ID: 72453 BD: 11 (7 + 4 ACC) CD: 2 LD: 10 (7 + 3 LD) MD: 7

Farrant Full Moon: 13 * 3 = 39 DMG (6 Energy)

Calrex: 1585/1585 | EN: 151/154
Teayre: 893/1085 | EN: 95/106
(60-12)*4 = 192

Root Guardian: 0/24
Root Guardian 2: 0/24
Root Guardian 3: 0/24
Root Guardian 4: 0/24

16/15 Monsters Slain

Dungeon boss has spawned!

Edited by Teayre

ID: 72497
Battle Dice: 5 (Accuracy +4) = 9
Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +2) = 8 (+2 Damage)
Sword Art <<All Might>> Activated / <<Charge>> Activated (17 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 135 Remaining)

Listening as his wife responded, the bluenette remained deafly silent, remaining still as the redhead walked past.

"Has she understood a single thing I've said?"

A mix of emotions quickly rushed through, parts of them being disappointment and hurt, those parts of his mind echoing things like, "After all this time she still has doubt about your bond, the feelings that burn inside you for her? Has she cast any sense of trust aside for you?" Others were irritated, spiteful, with phrases like, "Open your ears. Stop pussyfooting around and tell my EXACTLY what's going through your head, because obviously something is being lost in translation."

Metal clinked against each other and leather stretched as the Ultramarine Knight's right hand tightened into a fist, clenching hard enough that it they were in the real world his nails would have pierced through skin. He could feel his simulated forearm muscles tightening, his bicep starting to constrict as the blazing blue light of his <<Martial Arts>> Sword Art starting to charge, his most powerful Sword Art <<All Might>>.

"Narlia..."

However, even with all this Calrex still recalled how far he had come from before, how much he had suffered and endured to get to where he was, not just as the highest level player in all of SAO, but as one of the founders of the Spectrum Coalition, and as the inheritor of the <<Achilles>> unique skill.

"Don't let your emotions overcome you. Use them as fuel for that righteous fire...right Baldur?"

Closing his eyes for a moment he let his mind process the words of all the various emotion-driven parts of his self, taking a step back for a moment to gather himself. "Empathy, not sympathy. I need to understand where this is coming from..."

Seconds felt like minutes as he brought himself back to center, opening his eyes slowly before looking forward, first at his wife, then as the sub-dungeon boss, "I won't let this be a repeat of that cold night..."

Executing <<Charge>> the bluenette shot forward like a rocket, blasting past Teayre and at the boss, his right first already drawn back. With a single focused punch the emotions he felt, as well as the moral weight he felt from Fudoshin, channeled together into the strike, erupting with concussive force to send the creature reeling from the blow to the face.

The sub-dungeon boss itself appeared to be an amalgamation of various internal parts of the tree: Roots, veins, bark, and the like, all formed together into a golem-like construct not too different from a Treant. The massive creature stumbled back before swinging with its own limb, the slowly moving mass locked directly on Calrex.

As the limb approached he gave a calm breath, feeling the impact as it shot him into the wall. After the momentum dispersed he dropped down, landing on his feet in front of Teayre, nearly unphased, "It seems that what I have said had a difference of understanding than I had intended Narlia, however, from that quick emotional change it seems you've got something on your mind, something that doesn't let you fully trust me, that for all I know may be the same reason why you've thought about taking my life in the past. If I may, and you are willing, I would like to hear why, because nothing I have done, any single action, I had intended to give a sign of betrayal, or that I would leave you behind as a friend or partner. I've only shown you nothing but dedication and compassion, to our safety, and to making you happy. But if you still harbor some resentment, or some thought that I may still leave you in the end...then I'm not sure what I can say or do that will grant you that assurance, and I am sorry that I can't do more..."

Glancing back at his health as it dropped a decent chunk Calrex gave a small sigh, letting a single sigh, one that embodied his exasperation and disappointment.

"The choice is yours Teayre, its always been yours to make. I made my decision when I first met you, and reaffirmed it that night in the High Fields of Crossing, that I would be there for you as a friend, a lover, and a husband. Not a single time have I looked back in regret on those times, or hoped that something could have gone differently. I've come to terms with the fact that I just may likely not see the end of this game, but if that is so, and I am not granted the privilege out of this place, that I will do at least what I can to make this community a little better."

As the sub-dungeon boss struggled back to its feet the Ultramarine Knight wiped his bottom lip with his left hand, clenching his right one again into a fist as it was surrounded with the light of his aura once again, "I said to steel our minds because of the things to come: Our allies, friends, comrades, foes, and enemies alike will all fall. People we share drinks and adventures with will likely fall by the wayside, and no matter how powerful we become that fact will remain true. Good and malevolent people alike will be killed, whether by other people or by monsters. Whether we take the side of protectors and savers, or of killers and destroyers...no deeper meaning will come from either. I choose the former, because that is at least a little more beautiful, more memorable, than one who destroys..."

Straightening his stance he looked back, a simple smile on his face, "and even if this world eventually falls apart, my efforts in vain with me dissolving on the battlefield...a single amaranth rose amongst the wreckage of my failures is still more beautiful than a barren wasteland."

Calrex: 1440/1585 | EN: 151/154 (210+2 DMG - 30 MIT / 2 Achilles = 91 DMG / +10 Battle Healing)
@Teayre: 893/1085 | EN: 95/106

Hollowed Heart: 312/600 (15+5 DMG * 15 Art - 24 MIT = 276 DMG / 12 Achilles Damage / Stunned Until Next Turn)
DMG: 210
MIT: 24

• 4 weeks later...

As the bluenette shot past her Teayre felt the cold air rush past her. Her eyes going wide for a moment. The image of a man, with one arm tucked into his white shirt. The other wielding a blade. What was happening. Shaking her head she couldn’t work out why she was thinking of him now, of all times.

“I said to steel our minds…”

Her hair shifting slightly as she moved putting more weight into her other foot.  Her eyes. Her fire. It could be seen bristling like brimstone, however the fire that shone in the depths of her very soul. It was different from all the previous times. “A single amaranth rose, gives birth to a dozen more.” Swallowing the red head couldn’t help but gently push past her husband. “If I were to die, I will only allow it inside this game if it is by your hand Calnus.”

Her footsteps forward, her blade to one side as her coat flowed around her. “I’m sorry Calnus, for becoming like my father. I’m sorry for all the anger, the pain that I have caused you.” Her free hand’s index finger gently flickering for a moment. “Atonement, there’s no point in it. I should live my life as I need to… I’ve killed, more than a couple of times…” She let out a laugh, it was harsh full of loathing, “I’ll get what is coming to me eventually, so why not be who I truly am….”

As she spoke the final sentence Teayre’s foot hit the ground and she began to dash around the amber rivers. Her charge skill activating her blade sinking into the boss. “Come on!” She cries out. “Calrex.” She shouted out to her partner, her friend. “I’m going to invest points into katana again. I’m going to master Battojutsu.” She landed softly on her feet spinning avoiding a nasty strike coming from the boss.

Spoiler

ID: 74358 BD: 11 (7 + 4 ACC) CD: 7 LD: 6 (3 + 3 LD) MD: 3

Legion Destroyer: (11 * [13 + 1 + 5]) = 209 DMG

Calrex: 1440/1585 | EN: 151/154
Teayre: 893/1085 | EN: 85/106

Hollowed Heart: 127/600 (209 - 24 = 185 DMG Stunned Until Next Turn)

@Calrex

Edited by Teayre

ID: 74385
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +4) = 13 (+1 Damage)
Loot Dice: 14 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 17 (Materials Found)
Mob Dice: 1 (Evasion +2) = -1
Sword Art <<All Might>> Activated (17 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 119 Remaining)

"So it all comes back to him again...hate to sound cynical, but maybe Teayre killing him in one stroke was not the best choice. No words to put in edgewise, or a final soliloquy. Basically everything she knows of him was past information, and now we're all digging at the bottom of the barrel to make some kind of sense behind it all."

Looking forward as the redhead shot forward to attack once again Calrex gave a small sigh, "...and that's leading to a serious identity crisis isn't it?"

Feeling the state of Fudoshin still present within him the bluenette closed his right hand into a fist once more, the gauntlet shining light blue with the power of his <<All Might>> Sword Art once again. Leaping forward his arm drew back, the tree-like construct recovering after missing its strike, looking at the incoming attacker. Shooting its arm forward once again it tried to knock Calrex out of the air, failing to come even close as the glowing fist crashed against its face, causing it to burst into crystals.

Landing on the ground where the dungeon boss once stood he gave a small sigh, "You used to practice using the katana in the real world right?"

Turning around to face Teayre, eyes closed for a moment as he remembered the practice of noto, letting his focused state of mind subside. Opening them towards her he gave a smile, relaxing his stance, "Then it would only make sense to use the weapon that feels more natural."

Returning his hands to his jacket pockets he let out a calming exhale before continuing, "I wouldn't worry about you becoming like your father just yet, unless you start to decide on wearing white shirt and growing out a neckbeard. As I've said before, I'm not going to force you into attempting anything towards 'atonement' or 'redemption' if you don't wish to do so. For comeuppances only time will tell. However, since you have given me permission, let me make a promise to you, that I will not break, as your friend, fellow guildmate, confidant, and husband both in and out of this game should the situation allow."

Reaching his right hand forward, fist closed, he spoke, "Walk the path you feel is right, and no matter what hardships and circumstances come your way, face them head on. You are the culmination of your past and present, as well as the connections you have made. Not titles, not weapons, not armor, not items, who you are beneath all of those. Should you lose sight of that, and start to force yourself down a path which distances you from yourself out of loathing and self-disappointment, I'll knock you back on track. Got it?"

Loot List:
1 Material

Calrex: 1450/1585 | EN: 119/154 (+10 Battle Healing)
Teayre: 893/1085 | EN: 85/106

Hollowed Heart: 0/600 (15+1 DMG * 15 Art - 24 MIT = 216 DMG)

• 2 weeks later...

The red head listened to her husband, she laughed at the mention of an identity crisis. “No, at least not anymore. I know who I am now.” She inclined her head to her husband, “It’s more natural yet I want to be able to progress with myself. Push myself to the very extremes of my own ability.” Falling silent except for a couple of small tuts to herself. She meets Calrex’s eyes as she raises her left hand her fist closed as well. “I can’t promise there won’t be any more deaths Calnus, I can promise that I won’t kill indiscriminately anymore.”

Turning, Teayre looks back over her shoulder the corner of her lips twitching. “I’m counting on you.” As she pressed forwards the red head wrinkled her nose. The smell of brimstone reaching it. Her hand closed around the now sheathed hilt of the blade she carried at her hip. Instinctively she assumed a fighting stance. “Cal…” She whispers as orange plumes of flame erupt in front of her. “I guess it’s time to get out of here.”

Even as her words fell silent the ragged forest floor beneath her echoed in fire. Looking up the red head saw the being emerge from between the trees. A four legged demon wreathed in fire stood in front of the crimson maiden. “Really Kayaba?” A glint in her eyes, “Cal.” She says stepping forward, “You said for me to be myself. Then I shall, I love to fight therefore I shall.” As her right foot came down the red head shot towards her target, the <Charge> skill taking effect as she brought her blade down on the Byakko several times. Skidding to a halt she turns looking at her husband offering him a bow as the creature burst into fire pixels around her. The quest completion appearing on her screen. Adding the rewards to her inventory she hugs her husband, before leaning back “I think it’s time to pick the katana back up again.”

Legion Destroyer Used: ((13 + 1 + 5)*11) = 209 – 40MIT = 169 DMG

ID: 76518 BD: 11 (7 + 4 ACC) CD: 7 LD: 8 (5 + 3) MD: 8

Calrex: 1450/1585 | EN: 119/154 (+10 Battle Healing)
Teayre: 833/1085 | EN: 85/106

Byakko: -19/150 Health

Edited by Teayre
  • 4 weeks later...