[F11-PP] Beating Heart Fist [Martial Arts Grandmaster Thread] [Completed]

Spoiler

ID# 78148: LD: 20 (16+20) = 1 T2 Mat found (3 Total)

"Nice find!"

Beat examined the structure, coming to the same conclusion his companion had. He figured that if they were going to find a dungeon, an ant hole or hill would be the place they would end up. He grinned from ear to ear at the prospect of having the chance to test his new skills on a dungeon boss.

"It seems somehow appropriate that my first true test of my new abilities be used on a dungeon boss. Honestly, I was hoping we would fight something bigger in that dojo, so this will do nicely." Beat said, smiling from ear to ear as his excitement became eager to escape, having something that it could now be directed at.

Beat hopped right in, confident that if something was waiting right inside, he could handle it. Fortunately, he was not punished for his haste and he was allowed to wait for his tank. In fact, he was rewarded with a large chunk of some sort of amber protruding from the wall. He quickly removed it from its resting place and stashed it into his inventory. 

Edited by Beat
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

ID# 78152 results: Loot: 16 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 21 - +1 Material (4 total)

Shield held out his hand as Beat hopped into the mouth of the volcano like structure, letting out a sigh once he was out of sight. This moment was a very familiar one.

"It's like running off to break the lousy rock again," he sighed, picking up his feet and following after the overeager DPS.

Once inside on the steep downward descent, his own detection trinket lit up. There, just to his right, was some sort of root, covered in a thick, hairy mat of ultra thin roots. Breaking off the tuber shaped bulb, he examined it before storing it away with the other materials. Digging in his heels, he made his way down the steep down grade until he caught up with Beat.

"What did we say earlier about you not wanting to take a face full of ant jaws?" he warned, taking the opportunity to swap out his equipment for whatever encounter was likely to meet them along the way.

Also in preparation for battle, he sent Finder's Keeper back over to Beat.

Hope he doesn't run off without returning that one. Wouldn't be the first time...

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 78156: MD: 7 (4+3) 

Ant Hill Soldier 1 [322/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 2 [322/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 3 [322/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 4 [322/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Beat [500/500] [50/50]: taking no offensive action this round. Equipping Finder's Keepers (+1 to S&D)

Beat cackled as Shield berated him, knowing that the older man was right, but Beat still had trouble not taking risks at times and he was certain he would have been fine. He would refrain from making a jab at Shield and simply explain himself as he hoped the dungeon was a strong one. It wouldn't be a proper test in Beat's eyes. 

"Yeah, yeah I know, but my fists need to break some bug carapace! Plus, I don't think these guys can kill me in one shot." 

Beat's moved shifted as the rumbling they had periodically felt before began to become constant as it grew louder and stronger. Beat quickly equipped the wristband to maximize their chances at valuable loot as the source of the rumbling made itself apparent. Four black ant soldiers made their way through the large tunnels, eventually finding the two intruders. With Shield in front, they swung at the first target they could find, regretting it immediately. 

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

Combat action: Howl

With the prospects of another battle facing creatures just as foul as before, Shield was glad that the lighting was poor. The health bars of each ant took am immediate hit from the armor that cut at their spindly legs as they tried to latch on to the tank for a bite. The strategy of the battle clear as ever, Shield filled up his lungs and let out a booming challenge.

"Show me what you've got, bugs!" he shouted, sending a new rumble through the ground and causing four sets of segmented eyes to snap onto him even more concretely than before. "What's the matter? Is my exoskeleton tougher than yours? Giving up already?"

It was difficult to say whether the ensuing mad clicking of mandibles was from the words, the tone of voice, or simply just their own means of communicating. Still, it certainly seemed as though Shield had struck some sort of nerve with his challenge, and the ants leered at him menacingly.

Spoiler

ID# 78160: BD: 11 (8+3) MD: 10 (7+3)

Ant Hill Soldier 1 [210/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 2 [210/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 3 [210/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 4 [210/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Beat [500/500] [38/50]: Tornado Kick - 1x6 - AoE - Dmg: 14 * 6 = 84 | -12 EP

Beat stared at the creatures, noting how much room he really did have to maneuver in the giant ant hill tunnels. He stayed right where he was as he delved into the new well of knowledge that had begun to unfold for him. 

"Shield, this is going to pass right in front of you, don't move!" 

Beat's right leg glowed as it always did for this particular sword art, but instead of leaping into the fray, Beat simply spun in an instant rising his foot from the ground, high into the air as he spun, causing a twister to form as he spun a second time, directing the whirlwind towards the ant-men. 

"Tornado Kick!" 

The twister rushed forward and blew through the group of bodies, narrowly avoiding the tank, shaving off a decent chunk of the enemies' health before dissipating. Beat smirked as he waited to see Shield's reaction to his new application of the sword art he was so found of.  

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 78161 results: Battle: 2 - Miss

Shield felt the rush of the wind, the force of which created a slight vacuum in its wake. The ants, who had been pawing at him ineffectually as ever, were blown back against the floor and walls of the tunnel, their clicking rising to a fevered pitch. Shield's ears popped from the change in air pressure, and he had to stretch his jaw to normalize the pressure again.

"Not bad," Shield called back to Beat. "Keep it up! We've got a boss waiting for us at the end of this that I'm sure you're itching to sink your fists into!"

Stepping forward, Shield took a swing at the nearest ant with his axe, but he underestimated the thickness of the creature's carapace. The blade glanced off harmlessly. He scrunched his forehead and inspected his weapon as a thought came to him.

"Is this what it feels like to fight me?"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 78162: BD: 12 (9+3) MD: 10 (7+3) 

Ant Hill Soldier 1 [92/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 2 [92/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 3 [92/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Ant Hill Soldier 4 [92/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns.

Beat [500/500] [27/50]: Tornado Kick - 1x6 - AoE - Dmg: 15 * 6 = 90 | -12 EP

"Hell yeah I am! That boss won't know what hit him!" Yelled Beat as he continued to spin, performing a kata of sweeping kicks and turns. 

He continued to explore the kata further as the creatures assaulted Shield, only to regret their programming as Beat finally created another tornado, his spinning reaching high speeds again. With a final turn, he sent yet another twister through the group of ant-men, depleting their health even further. He smiled as his new abilities continued to entertain him. 

"One more of those should do it assuming they keep eating your thorns damage." 

It was always interesting to see the various methods of attack each mob would use and this battle was no different. The soldiers seemed to be trying various methods of attack and approach to try to get past the tank's shield, but even when they did, it was no good once they ended up being the only ones taking damage. 

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 78243 results: Battle: 7 - Hit ant 1! 3 dmg

The battle did seem to be progressing quickly, which was encouraging. The ants, try as they might, were incapable of dealing any damage to the tank, and the DPS of course was doling out punishment liberally. Beat wasn't going to have all of the fun though. A mess of battered insects remained after the last whirlwind assault, and in the moments Shield had before they began to stand and fight back again, he sank a quick strike into the stomach of the nearest ant.

"You know, for two players who have found so many dungeons, it's odd that we've only just now gone into one unassisted," Sheild said thoughtfully, looking back at Beat with his fist on his hip.

Meanwhile, the battle-ready bugs behind him were already back on their feet, crowding around him and lashing out with their claw-like legs or sharp, scissor-like mouth parts, all of which passed harmlessly through the tank while leaving angry, glowing red welts on their owners.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 78287: BD: 6 (3+3) MD: 6 (3+3)

Ant Hill Soldier 1 [0/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns. [Dead]

Ant Hill Soldier 2 [0/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns. [Dead]

Ant Hill Soldier 3 [0/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns. [Dead]

Ant Hill Soldier 4 [0/350]: 110 dmg to Shield before mit and regen. Takes 28 Thorns. [Dead]

Beat [500/500] [16/50]: Tornado Kick - 1x6 - AoE - Dmg: 14 * 6 = 84 | -12 E | +1 EP

Loot: 

Loot Roll 1: ID#78287 - LD: 8 (3+5) CD: 11 = 1 T2 Crafting material + 1050 col

Loot Roll 2: ID#78288 - LD: 24 (19+5) CD: 12 = 1 Perfect Consumable + 1050 col

Loot Roll 3: ID#78289 - LD: 14 (9+5) CD: 10 = 2 T2 Crafting Materials + 1050 col

Loot Roll 4:ID#78290 - LD: 20 (15+5) CD: 6 = 1 Rare Consumable + 1050 col

Total Loot: 

5 T2 Materials

1 T2 Rare Armor

1 T2 Rare consumable

1 T2 Perfect Consumable

22360 col

Beat stopped spinning, feeling a little dizzy from the constant rotations. It wasn't enough to cause him to lose his balance, but he had to take a moment to make sure his final charge into the fray wouldn't send him flying into a wall. With his senses back in alignment, Beat charged towards the rampaging ant soldiers, leaping a few feet into the air, spinning like the twisters he had been sending out. 

"Antasetsuken!" Beat exclaimed, a large grin on his face as he spun like a top through the mess of enemies. 

Beat's foot crashed into each one repeatedly, sending them flying away as Beat, the human twister, plowed through. Beat landed and turned just in time to watch his foes burst into red pixels. He proceeded to fold his arms and look the opposite direction with a stoic expression, wishing he had a red bandana and a steady breeze. 

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 78296 results: Loot: 17 + 3 items + 1 skill = 21 - +1 Material (5 total)

With a sigh, Shield banished his axe and shield, equipping his seeking aura. Immediately, the earring lit up, shedding light onto the dimly lit walls of the packed earthen tunnel. The pathway had been lit so far with bio luminescent mushrooms, but as he took a closer look, he noticed that one of the nearer ones bore an item tag. Plucking it up from the wall, he stashed it away in his inventory.

"Well, do you need a moment to recover or ryu okay?" he asked, folding his arms as he addressed the younger man. "This doesn't seem to be a particularly high level dungeon, despite the floor level, so I have a feeling we're not far from the end of it."

The damp walls and floor of the tunnel sloped down into the black, the dim glow of the fungi casting highlights along the uneven surfaces. The rumbling of constant ant activity in the area made the ground seem to hum, but there were no clear footsteps in the vicinity.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 78301: LD: 25 (20+5) = 1 T2 Mat found (4 Total)

Rest: 1/3

Trading Finders keepers back to Shield

Beat bent down and picked a piece of chitin shell that had likely broken off of one of the ant soldiers during their fight. He straightened up and looked at his energy bar, his mouth twisting in thought. 

"Yeah, we technically don't know how strong the boss is, so it might be a good idea to let me rest up. If nothing else, to make sure the fight doesn't drag on for too long."

He stashed the piece of chitin into his inventory before opening another menu and trading the wristband back to Shield. He had placed an order a long time ago with his regular artisan for a wristband of the same effect, but he had yet to hear about it. 

"Man, it's a good thing that you don't have to pay in advance on shop orders. I orders an item just like that wristband two or three weeks ago, but I haven't heard from the artisan. I hope something didn't happen to her..."

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 78307 results: Loot: 5 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 10 - No materials (5 total)

Shield accepted the item and slipped it back on, but since they had not moved from the area, his earring had not had any opportunity to detect anything new and remained dormant. He leaned against the wall, kicking at the packed dirt of the ground with his booted foot.

"Since when did you like to play cautious, eh?" Shield gibed, folding his arms across his chest. "If you're not running headlong into danger, my job gets to be too easy, right?"

Shield took a deep breath, taking a little time to appreciate their surroundings. This was the first time since they had entered Sword Art Online that they had been in a dungeon without a carry, and only their second time in one period. It was a nice change of pace. He filled his lungs with the stale air, which although stale, was refreshing in its own right simply because it was long overdue.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 78311: LD: 9 (5+4) = no mats found (4 Total)

Rest: 2/3

"Hmm, you're right, I think this old guy I hang out with all the time is rubbing off on me." Beat said with a knowing grin. 

It was true that Beat's casual nature lead him taking risks that he might regret, but in this instance, the odds were right in his face and there was no urgency. There was a good chance that he wouldn't have taken the risk anyway, but it was also true that the two of them had rubbed off on each other a little bit. Beat had grown a little more intelligent about how he approached situations and had matured some during his time in SAO. Shield, on the other hand, was still serious, but he was now known to crack a joke here or there and would sometimes indulge Beat in his antics. 

"I should be good to go in a few more seconds. At least the full rest recharge doesn't take too long right?" 

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 78312 results: Loot: 1 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 6 - No mats (5 total)

Shield nodded, resting his back against the wall of the tunnel. He closed his eyes, listening to the rumble of the ant activity thrumming away in the ground, almost as if it was some sort of constant seismic phenomenon. Trying his best to normalize it so that it was no longer unsettling, the most he could manage for the moment was to try to make himself forget what it was.

"Have you considered what skill you plan to go for next?" Shield asked, his eyes still closed. "There's plenty more to explore offense-wise, but I know that you've also got to have defense and utility on your mind as well."

It was an interesting balance to try to maintain. While the core of your character design needed to adhere to your role, at least for the most part, while equipment can be swapped out interchangeably to adjust for specific situations, certain things were only a matter of allotting experience and could not be supplemented through items.

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 78313: LD: 8 (4+4) = no mats found (4 Total)

Rest: 3/3 EP FULL!

"Yeah I've thought about that..." Beat said, trailing off as he considered his options. It was true that experience allowed for skills that equipment couldn't completely supplement for, but he had an ideology of dps and was planning to stick to it for now. 

"I think equipment and temporary buffs can carry me through while I continue to increase my damage. More damage means less fighting, which means less damage taken over all-" 

It was a solid philosophy and one that held water in most MMO games. Tanks could soak damage, but their own damage output was often poor compared to a true dps. Dps benefitted from ending the fight as quickly as possible in order to out-damage their opponents. As a result, DPS could often clear content faster, but at the risk of their lives or the consumption of healing items. 

"-but at some point, I know I need to go into armor a little bit so I can get some of the mods that will help my offense and defense. So it'll happen, but I think for now, charge is my next goal." Beat finished, his gaze quickly shifting to Shield, "What about you? I know you haven't fully mastered any skills just yet, but I'm curious as to what your leveling up process is going to be." 

Beat smiled as his energy bar finally dinged to let him know that it was go time. 

"Go time! Let's kick that boss's butt!"

Edited by Beat
Spoiler

ID# 78337 results: Loot: 10 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 15 - +1 Material (6 total)

"Well, you say that, but this dungeon should be all I need to grandmaster the Block skill, and that one rank is the single biggest chunk of mitigation I can get from a skill rank," he said, thinking through his musings on the matter. "From there, heavy armor is next, and eventually stone wall. I've even toyed with maxing out the light armor skill in addition in case I end up in a fight where dodge tanking is wiser than soaking."

He checked the party stats to confirm the state of Beat's energy points before pushing himself off of the wall and turning down the path to the end of the tunnel. Before they had gone far, his earring began to glow, and he spotted another bioluminescent mushroom with an item tag. He picked it, pocketed it, and then swapped his wrist band over to Beat, equipping instead his shield and axe once again.

"Ready?"

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 78387: MD: 4 (1+3) Note: I put Rolling for mats, but I forgot where we were. Spawning the boss instead. 

Colossal Ant Guardian [550/550]: Miss

Beat [500/500] [50/50]: Equipping Finders Keeper (S&D +1)

Beat kept his gaze forward, but glanced to Shield with a small smile as he nodded in affirmation, "I am."

They quickly came to the end of the tunnel, a large set of doors that appeared to be constructed out of molded mud and rock. Beat recalled their first encounter with a dungeon, smiling at the familiar feeling he was getting now as his stomach tightened with anticipation. This would be their first dungeon boss that they would be soloing. It made for a significant landmark to be sure. 

"Here we go..."

Beat pushed the doors open and walked in, following behind Shield as he equipped the wristband that had been traded to him. In the center of the gigantic, circular room stood a colossal ant that appeared more like a traditional ant, though it seemed to share markings and distinct features with the soldiers they had fought. 

"Sheesh, I guess once you get so strong, you truly become a monster." Beat said, grimacing at the ugly creature. 

The ant turned and took a swing at the source of the outburst, only to slam it's leg into the soft earth as Beat evaded the attack easily while he waited from Shield to take the hate. 

Edited by Beat

Combat Action: Howl

Shield darted forward into the room, eager to draw the fire away from his companion. He brought the head of his axe against his shield, the tone clanging out into the room to aggravate the colossal adversary. Filling his lungs, he howled out a challenge to solidify himself as the target.

"Hey, big guy!" bellowed his deep, thundering howl. "I wasn't aware that ants got uglier as they got bigger! It's a good thing we put your little minions out of their misery, because they did not have much to look forward to once they were all grown up!"

Much like the soldiers that they had encountered, when angered, this behemoth clicked its clamp-like jaws together, only the click in this case was more of a resounding clap, like two bamboo poles colliding against one another. Its head swiveled around to face Shield properly, its segmented eyes holding him in their gaze.

Spoiler

ID# 78447: BD: 13 (10+3) MD: 4 (1+3)

Colossal Ant Guardian [321/550]: Miss

Beat [500/500] [37/50]  -12 EP

All Might - 15x1 - Dmg- 16 * 15 = 240 - 11 = 229

As Shield did we he did best, pissing off the game's artificial intelligence, Beat dashed underneath, for less concerned with the crowding of feet givent the insect's size. He waited for the perfect moment to use the target's own force against it. As the creature went in for a fierce bite that was designed to cleave the armored player in half, Beat bent his knees and shot straight into the air, his fist cocked for an uppercut that he released like a cannon into the bottom of the enormous ant's head. 

"SHOOOOORYUKEN!!!!"

Beat's ascent didn't stop as his follow-through knocked the creature onto its back as the martial artist used his hang time to admire the glowing red mark that had formed where his fist had found purchase. He yelled with excitement as he came down, amazed at how potent his new arts were. 

"That sword art is incredible! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it survived, but holy hell, I felt that force in my arm! I'm still shaking!" 

Edited by Beat

The attack's force was impressive, and Shield could for sure see that the damage was significant as well. A dungeon boss of any flavor was a step above most of the other encounters they had been through. As the segmented colossus attempted to right itself, Shied took advantage of its vulnerability, dashing inside of its attack radius to take a swipe with his axe.

Spoiler

ID# 78453 results: Battle: 4 - Miss

Despite its disadvantage, the long, trunk-like legs flailed about making it impossible for Shield to get a bead on the creature long enough to swing. He made his best attempt, but the tough exoskeleton turned his weapon aside effortlessly.

"Careful, Beat!" Shield called out. "You land another hit, and it might start swinging at you next!"

He knew that Beat could take a swat or two, but to have it happen without warning would be a rude awakening from such a strong opponent. It didn't hurt to be careful

Edited by Shield