[5F - PP - NK] Dungeon of the Shifting Sands (Calrex) [Completed]

Spoiler
Swapping gear:

- Pain Drinker (-54 Regen), -1 Bloody Hell (-2 dmg, -24 bleed), + Finder's Keeper (+1 skill rank: search & detect), +Seeking Aura (+3 LD)

ID# 83855 results: Loot: 12 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 17 - +1 Material (6 total)

+54 HP - Regen, +20 HP - Survival = 784

Shield nodded, letting himself fall straight back onto the ground with his arms resting along the ground on either side of him. Normally, such a feat would be painful, but with his damage mitigation being what it was, he didn't even feel it. The flames around them died down, the once sinister trap now reduced to a tame looking temple courtyard.

"Remind me to level up a bit before going questing with you again," he sighed, opening his inventory to summon out his trusting loot equipment. As soon as he did so, his earring lit up, and glancing to either side, he found a piece of beetle exoskeleton sitting on the ground beside him. He stored the item before turning his eyes back up to the dark ceiling several hundred feet above them. "We have come a long way though. And I think you're right. Only a handful more mobs before we're at the boss room."

@Calrex

Edited by Shield
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(1/3 Turns Out of Combat, 1 Energy Recovered, 20 HP Recovered)

"Yeah, once this is over I'm definitely going to take a breather from dungeons for a while. One of these scaled to my current level is a bit much when we're still only at Tier 2 equipment. Heck maybe even Tier 3."

Stretching his arms after returning the Grand Blade II to its sheath Calrex gave a small exhale to calm his combat senses and relax the tension in his shoulders. The silver lining in their current situation was that the only major issue with this dungeon was the level of the creatures. They weren't so much dangerous, as the time-tested strategy of having the dedicated tank keep their attention was working. It was the durability, as these monsters had more health than a large percentage of the current player base. In fact they also hit harder than a similar percentage. "I guess if anything Shield and I now know kind of what it's like to fight four players close to Level 40. I'm just glad no one has discovered a slew of creatures that all could use Sword Arts. That would change the name of the game completely."

Watching his health and energy bars both flash as the out of combat recovery began the bluenette breathed a small sigh of relief, "At least we get a chance to take a breather between these fights. If we had to fight monster after monster one after another this would be even more tedious than now."

Calrex: 693/1615 | EN: 67/160

@Shield

Spoiler

ID# 83857 results: Loot: 2 + 5 = 7 - No Materials (6 total)

+20 HP - Survival = 804

"I think tedium would be putting it lightly," Shield said, rolling his eyes at the thought. "I've fought a couple of battles where DPS had to step out and recover their energy in the middle of the fight, leaving me to just soak hits while they rested." He stretched out his arms, not that his muscles actually needed to stretch, but more because of the muscle memory that came along with relaxation. Stretching was just part of it. "Those fight dragged on something awful. That's how Beatbox and I had to deal with the Nemean Lions back on the seventeenth floor."

After a moment, he sat back up, looking around the courtyard. If the temple really was their objective, then there would likely be another fight as soon as they stepped through the door. The final battle, if it was not in the actual holy of holies, would have to be in some hidden antechamber.

"It will be nice to expand into a new tier," he thought aloud. "Of course, I still have a way to go before I'll be able to make good on that, but that's why we have to push hard for now. We need to be ready for that big battle coming up that's supposedly the cusp between tiers two and three."

@Calrex

Edited by Shield

(2/3 Turns Out of Combat, 1 Energy Recovered, 20 HP Recovered)

"Resting in the middle of battle? Geezes I remember having to do that before. It's one thing to have someone cover you, but flying solo when that happened made me appreciate Mitigation and Evasion a lot more than ever before, heh. I think I would take any quest before having to go through something like this a second time around, at least before the next tier is unlocked. I just hope that we don't lose more on that borderline through."

Watching as his health and energy climbed up slightly with another bright flash that surrounded both bars Calrex observed his health get close to halfway. He was almost filly recovered, at least on energy. His health would likely not fully recover by the time they completed this dungeon, probably not until they got back to the safe zone, "In either case, let's hope the experience we gain from this dungeon can be put to good use in our stats."

"After I'm back at full energy, we'll have to deal with one more cluster of mobs, then the boss. If things work well we might be able to take on the boss without needing to recover again."

Calrex: 713/1615 | EN: 68/160

@Shield

Spoiler

ID# 83859 results: Loot: 15 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 20 - = +1 Material (7 total)

Swapping gear:

- Finder's Keeper (- 1 skill rank: search & detect), -Seeking Aura (- 3 LD), + Pain Drinker (+ 54 Regen), + 1 Bloody Hell (+ 2 dmg, + 24 bleed)

+20 HP = 824

Shield nodded, mirroring the sentiment regarding losing players. He had only been in one fight so far where a player had died at the hand of a boss. It came out after the fact that the player had not properly geared himself, dying in a single hit from the weakest of the bosses. He hoped that they would not see a similar mistake this time around, but there was a good chance that this boss would be a taste of what the third tier of Aincrad really had in store.

"It's the gateway," he said, his expression grim as he recalled the brief brush he had had with the boss in question. "It's guarding the way to a significant point. You and I are defensive enough when the need arises, so I doubt we'll be among the body count. Still, to expect no deaths is... optimistic."

With the remainder of Calrex's energy nearly restored, he pushed himself back up onto his feet and rearranged his gear.

"About that time, eh?"

@Calrex

Edited by Shield

(3/3 Turns Out of Combat, All Energy Recovered, 20 HP Recovered)

At Shield's Sentiment Calrex mirrored the expression on the armored player's face. It wasn't like the Ultramarine Knight had not been spared of witnessing people fall around him. In more than a few battles he had seen people be reduced to crystals, now mere names on the Monument of Life. He had been involved in a scenario just like the man had explained, one that he had lost a close confidant in. It was that battle against the giant avian Rohk that the frontliners had lost Azide, the former head of the Square One guild and an influential character in the community, alongside a player that had no place being at a floor raid of that level. He still couldn't wrap his head around the fact that not only the player had decided to take part, but that the others let it happen.

"Optimistic would be on the best of terms, at least from what I've witnessed. There was a time where we cleared the floor bosses for a few levels not only without losing a single person, but also within two to three rotations of the participants. Unfortunately it seems like those days may be far behind us, without any chance of them returning in sight. We'll strive to keep everyone alive by surviving ourselves, but I guess we're both mentally prepared for less to occur."

Seeing his health climb up more, alongside his energy replenishing to full. Responding to Shield's question Calrex gave a nod, "Yeah, about time. Let's get these next minions finished off."

Calrex: 733/1615 | EN: 160/160

@Shield

Spoiler

+30 HP - Battle Healing

Action: Howl

ID# 83861 results: MOB: 9 + 4 = 13 - Hit! - 240 dmg + 1 - 178 mit = 63 dmg x 4 = 252 dmg

[H:0] @Calrex: 733/1615 | EN: 72/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:3] Shield: 602/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 800/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 2: HP: 800/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 3: HP: 800/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 4: HP: 800/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4

Shield led the way, striding across the remainder of the courtyard into the grand entrance to the temple proper. Vast columns rose on either side of the entrance and down the center of the inner courtyard. Historically, this is as far as most visitors would be allowed to come. The significance of this was not lost on Shield, especially when the sound of sliding stone perked up his ears. Whirling around, he saw that the exit had been closed off behind them, a massive slab just sliding up to the top of the entrance and closing with a boom.

"If Nihongo is Japanese," droned an odd collection of voices in unison, "then what is Eigo?"

This sounded like a rather silly question upon first listen, but as he thought about it, Shield wondered if there might be some further meaning.

"Nihongo... that's Japanese for Japanese," he thought aloud. "And Eigo means English. But you're not giving me a language lesson. This is a lesson in reasoning. 'Eigo' is still in Japanese, so that's my answer," he called out into the dark. "Both Nihongo and Eigo are Japanese."

A chorus of hisses sounded in the dark and torches flared to life around them. Four beasts stood around the two players, their bodies those of lions, but their heads like those of beautiful women with elaborate head dresses. They each lunged, slashing their claws at Shield. He only just managed to fill his lungs, bellowing at them, "I answered your riddle! This isn't how Sphynxes work! You're supposed to let us pass!"

"Fool!" they crowed in unison. "That may be how Sphynxes work, but that is not how this game works as a whole!"

Their claws ripped into his body, tearing away copious amounts of health. He knew he would be gaining it back shortly, at least for the most part, but it was still frustrating to be told how SAO works by SAO itself.

"Tch. Smartass game."

Edited by Shield

ID: 83862
Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +3) = 5
Miss Occurred (2 Energy Lost / 158 Remaining)

"Well I guess if the game takes precedence over the logic of mythology, that's a designer error isn't it?"

As Shield interacted with their next opponents briefly before using <<Howl>>, Calrex tried to get a bead on them for his opening attack. Unfortunately, it seemed like they were moving in such a way that it would be awkward to make use of his sword to start. He would need more precise control over his limbs. For that, Martial Arts was needed.

However, as he looked down at his forearms he was reminded of the fact that he could switch, since the weapon skill required both hands to be free. Cursing under his breath the bluenette drew the Grand Blade II, but by the time he did so the game mechanics recognized his action time window as closed. The act counted as an attack attempt, so the Ultramarine Knight watched his energy bar lose a small sliver from its full state.

"So much for a witty opening attack..."

[H:0] Calrex: 743/1615 | EN: 158/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:3] @Shield: 854/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Spoiler

+54 HP x 4 - Regen, +30 HP - Battle Healing

Action: Howl

ID# 83863 results:

MOB: 9 + 4 = 13 - Hit! - (240 + 1) dmg - 178 mit = 63 x 4 = 252 dmg

[H:0] @Calrex: 743/1615 | EN: 148/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] Shield: 594/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

The fight so far was hardly going their way. Shield circled the nearest of the sphynxes, trying to size the creature up and figure out its game. Once again, the demihuman opened its mouth, simpering in concert with its sister.

"Why can't you carve a marble statue of a man with a wooden leg?" they asked, their almost catlike mouths twisted in wry grins.

Not content to simply speak his reply, Shield used this next riddle as a chance to fill his lungs and let out another howl, taking further control of the hate in the fight.

"Because you can't carve marble with a wooden leg!" he roared, his voice echoing through the chamber. The sphynxes' smirk faded, their eyebrows furrowing at his reply. "You carve with a hammer and chisel, not a wooden leg! That's a children's joke! Who wrote these riddles?"

Hissing in indignation, the cat-persons leaped at Shield, tearing at his chest with their claws, even catching him across the face.

Edited by Shield

ID: 83864
Battle Dice: 7 (Accuracy +3) = 10
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated (18 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 141 Remaining)

Watching as Shield furthered his lead in Hate generated Calrex gave a nod, although at that point he couldn't tell whether the sphinxes were persistent on keeping on the armored man's avatar, "I think you might need to start answering incorrectly to get those things off you, heh. In any case go ahead and keep kiting them. It makes it easier to aim."

Quickly dropping into the stance to trigger <<Shadow Explosion>>, the Grand Blade II blazed purple with the Sword Art's glow. Now at the ready Calrex targeted the cluster that made up the four sphinxes, rushing forward with his sword trained on the closest one. The first strike cut clean as he began to rapidly maneuver through the four creatures, ending on the opposite side, "Well one thing's for sure. For all the brain teasers these things are going to throw at us, weapons still work on them."

[H:1] Calrex: 753/1615 | EN: 141/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] @Shield: 594/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 674/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 2: HP: 674/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 3: HP: 674/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 4: HP: 674/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)

Spoiler

+54 HP x 4 = Regen, +30 HP - Battle Healing

ID# 83865 results:

Battle: 8 - Hit! - 3 dmg, Bleed - 24 dmg / 2 turns

MOB: 9 + 4 = 13 - Hit! - (240 + 1) dmg - 178 mit = 63 x 4 = 252 dmg

[H:1] @Calrex: 743/1615 | EN: 148/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] Shield: 588/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 647/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 - BLD 1/2
Sphynx 2: HP: 674/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 3: HP: 674/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 4: HP: 674/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4

Despite the warning that he should probably start answering incorrectly, Shield was still a little too proud to let a few hissy fits ruin his opportunity to flex the analytical part of his brain.

"Very well then, human. What is it that is full of holes and yet holds water?" the sphynxes chimed, their voices sharper and more clipped. Either by seeing through their attempts to confuse him or by simply weathering their attacks, Shield seemed to be getting under their skin. He waited for one of the prowling enemies to stray just a little too close before sweeping his axe at it, slicing open the womanly cheek of the catty foe.

"A sponge!" he quipped back. "Your mind games are pretty silly, to be honest."

The sphynxes let out a roar this time, opening their mouths in a hate-filled shout as they leaped into the air. They flailed out with their claws as though trying to shred the air that stood in between them and their targets, Shield's body did not put up much more resistance than the air. The claws of the beasts were sharp, and passed through him like a knife through butter.

Edited by Shield

ID: 83867
Battle Dice: 3 (Accuracy +3) = 6
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated (18 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 124 Remaining)

As Shield was attacked once again by the sphinxes Calrex took note of what was happening, something that was obviously slowing the pace of this battle. Whatever was happening, their opponents were scoring critical blows with each attack, which was bypassing his teammate's Thorns ability trigger. He had seen it happen in the past, but the fact that these creatures were able to consistently land those attacks for as much as they had was an anomaly, "Might want to be careful Shield. Either these creatures are getting really lucky, or somehow they're getting past your defenses. Let me know if you need to change out at any point."

Reactivating <<Shadow Explosion>> again the bluenette rushed forward, rapidly slashing at the sphinxes again, dark purple glowing cuts covering their avatars as he completed the attack, "Still going to be a few rounds before these things go down. Looks like we might get lucky after all. Oh well, another few moments of recovery and chatting after this battle is over then."

[H:2] Calrex: 763/1615 | EN: 124/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] @Shield: 588/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 521/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 - BLD 1/2  (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 2: HP: 548/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 3: HP: 548/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 4: HP: 548/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)

Spoiler

+54 HP x 4 - Regen, +30 HP - Battle Healing

ID# 83866 results:

Battle: 7 - Hit sphynx 2! - 3 dmg

MOB: 2 + 4 = 6 - Hit! - 240 dmg - 178 mit = 62 dmg x 4 = 248, Thorns - 28 dmg

[H:2] @Calrex: 743/1615 | EN: 148/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] Shield: 586/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 469/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 - BLD END
Sphynx 2: HP: 517/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 3: HP: 520/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 4: HP: 520/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4

"Says the guy who's below half!" Shield quipped back, giving him a quick head shake of 'no, I've got this.' "You're right though. They've been consistently getting through my defenses. Apparently, playing their game doesn't pay, so let's make them play mine." He pushed forward, clipping the edge of the nearest sphynx's paw. The damage was hardly noteworthy, but he paid little mind. "Alright, riddlers, riddle me this. Name me and so break me. What am I?"

The sphynxes paused, their feline, slitted eyes dancing across Shield's features as they searched for the meaning behind the riddle.

"You are merely trying to confuse us with games," said the chorus of catly voices. "It will not work."

"Wrong!" Shield barked back. "The answer is 'Silence!' If you speak the word, you break whatever silence there was before you spoke."

He had wounded them, though this time, their egos, not their hit points. They each thrashed about on the ground, shrieking out in rage before recovering enough to direct their anger at having been bested at the player who had done it. Their claws bit in, but their swipes were wild and uncoordinated, and as they attacked, Shield could see their hit points drop slightly.

"Perfect."

Edited by Shield

ID: 82943
Battle Dice: 5 (Accuracy +3) = 8
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated (18 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 106 Remaining)

Calrex gave a cautious nod as Shield responded, saying that he was still ok in terms of his health, at least compared to the blunette's. Of course, if the time came, he could still take over if needed. He hadn't switched to the Grand Guard II tower shield for nothing after all. Combined that with the now lessened effect of his Achilles skill, and he could weather the attacks as well. The only difference was that he didn't have Regen, so he would likely not be building back health like his teammate did.

As the sphinxes were knocked back by Shield's successful guard Calrex quickly rushed forward, the Grand Blade II already prepared with <<Shadow Explosion>>. The dark purple glowing sword rapidly slashed left and right as he made his way through the center of the four enemies once again, ending on the opposite side as their health bars were reduced even further, now all below half going from their now yellow color, "Halfway there. Looks like it's working!"

[H:3] Calrex: 773/1615 | EN: 106/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] @Shield: 586/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 343/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 2: HP: 391/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 3: HP: 394/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 4: HP: 394/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)

Spoiler

+54 HP x 4 - Regen, +30 HP - Battle Healing

ID# 83944 results:

Battle: 6 - Hit sphynx 2! - 3 dmg

MOB: 4 + 4 = 8 - Hit! - 240 dmg - 178 mit = 62 dmg x 4 = 248, Thorns - 28 dmg

[H:3] @Calrex: 773/1615 | EN: 106/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] Shield: 584/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 343/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 2: HP: 358/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 
Sphynx 3: HP: 364/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 4: HP: 364/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 

So far, this particular round of the game seemed to be a matter of playing the right game of chess. If one only ever played one's opponent's game, one would lose, regardless of skill. He needed to play his own game and make the Sphynxes play along.

"Here's one that your simple minds might be able to grasp," he said, mocking them as heavily as he could with his tone. "You're asleep one night when your parents knock on your door. They are starving and asking for you to feed them. You have food that is high in calories or food that is low in calories but high in nutrients. What do you open first?"

The sphynxes answered back in condescending laughter.

"Such a simple twist to this riddle," they simpered. "You open the door first to let them i-"

"Wrong again!" Shield spat triumphantly. "You are asleep, so you first must open your eyes!"

They beasts roared with anger once again, their faces contorted in abject hatred as they pelted towards the tank. He clipped the same one of them who he had struck with his last attack, but more to the point, their damage barely affected his overall total, while their health all suffered.

Edited by Shield

ID: 83495
Battle Dice: 4 (Accuracy +3) = 7
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated (18 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 89 Remaining)

At Shield's riddle charades with the sphinxes Calrex had to stifle a laugh for a moment. The flow of their back and forth had shifted, with Shield now being the one that was now only asking the questions, but messing with their enemies at the same time. It certainly helped to lighten the modd from their current situation.

Nonetheless, the bluenette still recognized his job in their current dynamic. Readying <<Shadow Explosion>> his sword was primed at the ready, waiting for the moment when Shield's Thorns triggered once again. As that event took place, Calrex rushed forward, his weapon already trained on the first target. Each slash touched one of the four as he rapidly spun left and right, guided by the assisted system while maneuvering through the battlefield. 

Ending his attack on the other side of the group the aura surrounding his sword faded, the Sword Art completed, "If this keeps up you might as well ask them what you put in a toaster."

[H:4] Calrex: 783/1615 | EN: 89/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] @Shield: 584/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 217/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 2: HP: 232/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 3: HP: 238/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)
Sphynx 4: HP: 238/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1 DMG * 9 Art = 126 Remaining)

Spoiler

ID# 83946 results:

Battle: 7 - Hit sphynx 2! - 3 dmg

MOB: 6 + 4 = 10 - Hit! - 240 dmg - 178 mit = 62 dmg x 4 = 248, Thorns - 28 dmg

[H:4] @Calrex: 773/1615 | EN: 106/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] Shield: 582/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 189/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 2: HP: 201/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 
Sphynx 3: HP: 210/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 4: HP: 210/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4

After missing at the damage dealt to them by Shadow Explosion, the sphynxes all turned their heads to Calrex and growled at his glee. Shield did not want them getting in his face just yet, so he hurled another question at them.  

"A man walks into a tavern and asks the barkeep for a glass of water," he began, trying to remember the exact details of the riddle. "The barkeep instead takes out a sword and holds it to the man's throat. The man says 'Thank you,' and leaves. Why did this happen?"

The eyes of the catlike creatures snapped back onto the tank, their faces blank. He wondered what ran them, if they used web searches or a simple logic algorithm to derive answers, but either way, this one seemed to have stumped them from their blank expressions.

"This is nonsense," they fumed, flexing their claws. "There is no reason that-"

"Sorry, wrong again," he crowed, readying his defenses for their rage. "The man had the hiccups. The barkeep scared them away, this solving the problem with a sword rather than water."

The riddlers were beside themselves, barely able to coordinate their limbs well enough to strike. They did manage to connect, but only enough to harm themselves.

Edited by Shield

ID: 83948
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4
Miss Occurred (2 Energy Lost / 1 Recovered / 88 Remaining)

It was at that point Calrex couldn't contain himself. Unfortunately this resulted in him losing his ability to attack, but apparently Kayaba did replicate the sensation of needing to laugh. That was exactly what he did.

The bluenette was priming his Sword Art once again when the next exchange between Shield and the sphinxes happened. The attack was just about at full when the dumbfounded looks on the four monsters faces made him beside himself. A series of laughs came out from Calrex as the dark purple aura faded from the Grand Blade II. Finally able to control himself he straightened himself, reaching up with his free hand to wipe away from simulated tears that had formed around the corners of his eyes, "Geezes this is too good. Makes one wish that you could record video or something for these kinds of moment. Sorry about that Shield, I should be good now."

Giving a calming breath Calrex centered himself once again, ready to attack.

[H:4] Calrex: 793/1615 | EN: 88/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] @Shield: 582/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 189/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 2: HP: 201/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 
Sphynx 3: HP: 210/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 4: HP: 210/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4

Spoiler

ID# 83949 results:

Battle: 2 - Miss sphynx 3

MOB: 4 + 4 = 8 - Hit! - 240 dmg - 178 mit = 62 dmg x 4 = 248, Thorns - 28 dmg

[H:4] @Calrex: 793/1615 | EN: 88/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] Shield: 580/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 161/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 2: HP: 173/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 
Sphynx 3: HP: 182/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4
Sphynx 4: HP: 182/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4

It was difficult to divide his focus between the battle and riddles, but so far, the strategy seemed to be paying off.

"Alright, so I'm driving a cart, and I have three friends in the back," he said, the sphynxes all eyeing him with rage barely contained under the surface of their brooding eyes. "The cart makes ten stops throughout the day." Shield made a great show of having three passengers get on and two get of, or one gets on and three get on, and so on. Finally, he drew to his conclusion. The sphynxes kept pace, smirking as they seemed to be having an easy time keeping up with the numbers. "So. What color are the driver's eyes?"

The jaws of the sphynxes dropped.

"What? What kind of question is that! You're trying to trick us! There is no answer! We don't even know who-"

"Yes, you do," Shield interrupted. "I told you at the beginning. I'M driving a cart." He then pointed to his dark eyes. "Mine are brown. You lose again."

Hissing and spluttering with anger, the sphynxes once again retaliated in humiliation, still only managing to scratch him while taking the aftermath in thorns damage.

Edited by Shield

ID: 83952
Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +3) = 12 (+1 Damage)
Sword Art <<Shadow Explosion>> Activated (18 Energy Used / 1 Recovered / 71 Remaining)

"Darn it Shield! You're making it really hard to focus...but keep it up!"

The rapid fire conversation between Shield and sphinxes was charged with a lot of what one would expect from a situational comedy. If one were in the situation, the vibe would be very different compared to someone outside looking in. The Ultramarine Knight was lucky enough to be in the latter position.

Nonetheless, he managed to keep his composure, readying <<Shadow Explosion>>. This time he didn't lose focus as he rushed forward, rapidly slicing through the creatures with ease. With each strike he breathed a small sigh of relief, recognizing the red numbers of a critical hit with each one. Bringing his Sword Art to completion the bluenette looked back to see that all four were well below the minimum damage that his previous attack deals, "One more should finish this!"

However, at the same time he saw two look over at him, "Well...guess I might have caught up in Hate. Guess I should start thinking of some riddles?"

[H:6] Calrex: 803/1615 | EN: 71/160 (10 Battle Healing)
[H:6] @Shield: 580/880 | EN: 88/88 (4 * (240 DMG+2 DMG - 178 MIT) = 256 DMG)

Sphynx 1: HP: 26/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1+1 DMG * 9 Art = 135 Remaining)
Sphynx 2: HP: 38/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1+1 DMG * 9 Art = 135 Remaining)
Sphynx 3: HP: 47/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1+1 DMG * 9 Art = 135 Remaining)
Sphynx 4: HP: 47/800 | DMG: 240 | ACC: 4 (13+1+1 DMG * 9 Art = 135 Remaining)