Hate Reduction Skills

In a raid, managing your aggro can be pretty tricky. Even with tank skills for threat gain and taunting, there's always those times when DPS can run away with itself and get a little too fast and hard for one guy to keep up with.

So, most MMO games allot for those players to have an "oh crap" option, just in case. 

These skills don't necessarily reduce hate to zero, but they deflate it by a significant enough degree that it becomes manageable. To achieve this, there is an added cost (it takes an action, and expends some form of energy or currency to perform). 

There are players who will utilize this as a strategy to go all out with damage and then reduce mid combat, and there are the more conservative types who use it for it's intended purpose. Either way, it has it's trade offs, and remains balanced. (There's also a cool down in place to ensure people aren't just spamming it.)

Just an idea, of course, but I thought you guys might enjoy tinkering with it.

I like it! I'm familiar with those types of skills in other games, and I can definitely see some options here.

The switch skill is in a uhh...weird place at the moment :P Just to share my personal thoughts, I think it should be adjusted as an open game mechanic rather than a skill, since that was basically how it functioned in canon. But besides making improvements to Switch, I've got two ideas off the top of my head for skills:

1. Use a post action to reduce your total Hate by half (rounded down).
2. Use a post action to transfer the Hate generated by your next 2 posts to a target party member.

My only concern for the second option is how that can create more opportunities for monster-PKing. While the PvP/PK system is getting some changes of its own, I don't want to accidentally make it easy for players to get shafted by others. Perhaps the target of the ability may cancel the effect as a free action, or something similar.

But now I'm just thinking out loud xD If anyone has any other ideas to throw out there, go for it! I'd appreciate an @ tag to make sure I catch it :3

• 2 weeks later...

@Teion

Building on the second idea

On 7/31/2017 at 4:59 PM, Teion said:

2. Use a post action to transfer the Hate generated by your next 2 posts to a target party member.

A potential caveat of it could be a cooldown of 3 - 4 rounds. and instead of 2 posts perhaps just the one?