[F21 - PP] Breaking out the Tackle - Nature's Treasure

Using Gold Key

Opening Chest:

ID# 101639 LD:5+7=12 CD:8 2,600 Col, 5 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Rare Consumables, 1 T3 Rare Weapon

Totals:

Col: 7,150
T3 Materials: 29
T3 Rare Consumables: 8
T3 Rare Weapons: 2

Remaining Keys: 6

The ring of keys was steadily becoming lighter, which was his goal to begin with. The lighter the ring became, the heavier his coin purse became. He smiled with a calm satisfaction as the key between his fingers vanished, opening the lock in the process. The haul this time around was very similar to the first, yielding yet another rare weapon and a similar load of materials and money. His finger tapped the option to 'Add All' to his inventory, depleting the chest of its contents and durability.

He straightened up and dusted off, hooking the ring of keys onto his belt. It felt like a good place for it to sit. If nothing else, it was a nice piece to show his dedication to treasure hunting. It was a hobby that dovetailed well with his business, so he saw no reason to hide his enthusiasm. After all, it was his last such mission that had given him the necessary resource to dedicate a full day to identifying loot and finding his first real unique addition to his build.

Edited by Shield
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing: [CD 1-4: Nothing] [CD 5-6: 1 Mat] [CD 7-8: 2 Mats] [CD 9-10: 3 Mats] [CD 11-12: 4 Mats] [CD 12 & LD 15+: Treasure Chest]

ID# 101640 results: Craft: 10 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 32

With the chest sorted, this seemed like as good of a spot as any to set up for fishing once again. He stretched his legs and settled down onto the hard ground. His fingers dutifully followed their familiar paths through his menus, summoning out his fishing rod. With a slow pull back and a swift swipe forward, he sent his lure flying out over the lake. It landed with a soft 'ploop' in the water.

There was a calm period where Shield got to enjoy a moment to himself, even finding a spot for Lilith to coil around a nearby stalagmite. However, as soon as she had wrapped her coils around its base, the pole in Shield's other hand jerked, and he felt before he fully formed the thought that this wasn't a small fish. His now free hand whipped across his body and grabbed the pole, which he used to fight his catch. It was the same moderately sized fish as before, the ones that separated into three cuts when captured, and this one was no exception.

Edited by Shield

Fishing: [CD 1-4: Nothing] [CD 5-6: 1 Mat] [CD 7-8: 2 Mats] [CD 9-10: 3 Mats] [CD 11-12: 4 Mats] [CD 12 & LD 15+: Treasure Chest]

ID# 101641 results: Craft: 3 - Nothing

Totals:

His item and Col counts were beginning to mount now. It was a good feeling. For so much of his time working up to the front lines and even spending time on them, he had struggled to acquire all but the barest of minimums from his ventures. Now, however, he had turned the tides, sharpening his chest hunting skills and maximizing the output from such finds. Sure, it meant on occasion fishing through some dry spells, but it was something he was prepared for.

That was fortunate, it turns out, because a dry spell was exactly what followed. He almost opened his document to write more goodbyes just out of a need for something to occupy him, but he decided against it, at least for now. Instead, he set about organizing his shop inventory. If his luck continued, he was going to need to borrow a few more keys against himself. It was fine. He had already fixed his Col accounts, meaning that all he needed to do was move the equivalent amount of Col out of his inventory and into his shop coffers when the time came.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101642 results: Craft: 1 - Nothing

Totals:

With his shop in order, now was a good time to plan out his skill point investment. As things currently sat, he had one open skill slot to make use of. Since the beginning, the plan had always been to use that slot for a weapon if and when it seemed appropriate. However, looking at the current state of the front lines, and more to the point, the way that battles were beginning to shape up, he would need to focus as much of his build as possible on maintaining his own health and energy stores. As it was, his familiar was his best way to heal for the moment. However, there was another option available to him, though it may dramatically shift his build and the course of his career path on the front lines.

"I could go into first aid," he thought aloud, looking at that empty skill slot. "It's a matter of whether I want to build for dungeon bosses or floor bosses."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101643 results: Craft: 11 - 4 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 36

The line yanked hard against his relaxed grip, so much so that he almost lost his grip. With one last desperate grab, he secured his hold on the pole and he squared up, feeling already that this was not going to be an easy fight. However, his skills as an angler seemed to be improving. Where once he would have needed to use stones or trees as a redirect, this time he was able to slowly fight the monster of a fish to the shore.

With a loud slap, it fell onto the smooth cavern floor and flapped loudly about, playing out the last of its catch animation before falling apart into four neat cuts of fish steak. Shield gave them a look and a nod before storing them away. He took his place back where he had sat a minute ago, settling back into his thoughts.

"Where was I?"

Edited by Shield

ID# 101644 results: Craft: 6 - 1 Material

Totals:

T3 Materials: 37

Shield returned to his contemplation, during which he caught and stored a small fish the likes of which barely even required his attention. "On the one hand, dungeon raids are essentially limitless. For all we know, Cardinal spawns them as quickly as they are completed, so they are a never ending source of loot. On the other hand, the boss raids are more pivotal to our escape."

He continued to chase rabbit holes, comparing one aspect of his build or another to each option. "It also bears mentioning that the quality of loot gained from boss raids is almost guaranteed better quality than anything else we'd see just from a little dungeon. There are chances at unique items there, but never demonic. And never intentionally designed for specific use. It's all up to chance there..." It was a thought he did not much like. It was true that he was a statistician, but he also knew that any gamble would be a loss at least some of the time. Taking sure things was often the wiser choice.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101645 results: Craft: 11 - 4 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 41

"Then again," he went on, continuing to chase a different thought train. "It won't be terribly long until I can do both. However, that will lock me in on my last possible skill. I'll hit current level max befo-"

His hands lurched forward, and he had to tighten his grip to keep from losing it entirely. The force of the fish's fins on the other end lifted him onto his feet almost on their own. He merely kept is balance. He imagined it was not entirely unlike starting off at water skiing. This was definitely another one of the difficult battles, but with the same strength and determination he had shown before, he managed to land his catch, pulling it out of the shallows to drag its muscular body onto the shore. It fell into cuts, and Shield once again packed up his prizes with the touch of a button.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101646 results: Craft: 12, Loot: 18+12=30 - Chest Found!

Totals:

T3 Materials: 41

He was glad this was not the real world and that he was using his digital arms rather than his physical ones. In the real world, he could not have possibly withstood the abuse and hard use of his arms that pulling in such powerful fish would require. Then again, after a year of atrophying, he was sure that his actual arms were weaker now than they had ever been. He pushed this thought aside. It was something to worry about another day.

He cast out again and went to reel in, but his hook snagged below the surface. He leaned forward, reeling harder, his eyes forward and intent. The thing dragged with the pull of his reeling, and as the line drew nearer to the shore, yet another chest lid surfaced. In his head, he wondered to himself if this was how gamblers felt when they were on a winning streak.

Edited by Shield

Using Gold Key

Opening Chest:

ID# 101647 LD:13+7=20 CD:10 3,900 Col, 8 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Rare Consumables, 1 T3 Perfect Armor/Shield

Totals:

Col: 11,050
T3 Materials: 49
T3 Rare Consumables: 10
T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: 1

Remaining Keys: 5

Reaching to his side, he removed the key ring from his belt and held out the next toward the lock. Like clockwork, the key vanished and the chest popped open a fraction of an inch. As the contents displayed on the midair window, Shield's mouth twitched a little in triumph. This was a little closer to what he was looking for. Although it was true that rare armors no longer seemed to drop from chests, a perfect would do for now. The odds of random enhancements taking valuable slots from a very meticulous build were higher with more slots, but it was after all how he got his Stinging Nettle armor.

He tapped the option to clean out the chest, adding its contents to his inventory. With a nod, he returned to his spot on the shore and sat, reclining against a stone and settling in for what could be yet another long wait.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101648 results: Craft: 12, Loot: 2+12=14 [Post-facto applying basement's Versatile bonus] 14+2=16 - Chest Found!

Totals:

Col: 11,050
T3 Materials: 49
T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: 1

Remaining Keys: 5

Even as Shield went to reel in his tackle, his pole bowed once again, though it was not from something pulling. He had hit another snag. At first he was doubtful. There was no way he could have snagged another chest so soon. Still, as he pulled, the mystery object moved with the same sluggish weight as the previous chests had. He pulled and wound, and then pulled once again, using his shoulders rather than the reel to pull in the hopeful chest.

Hope turned into reality very quickly as yet another chest crested the surface. He gave a punch of victory into the air before continuing his progress of pulling in his newly gotten treasure. Even without looking, he could tell the key ring at his hip had lost a considerable amount of weight, meaning he may need to restock on keys a lot sooner than intended. "It's a good thing my shop is in order, because I may need to transfer money out of my emergency key fund into my shop!"

Edited by Shield

Using Gold Key

Opening Chest:

ID# 101649 LD:19+7=26 CD:9 6,500 Col, 12 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Perfect Consumables, 1 T3 Perfect Weapon, 1 T3 Perfect Armor/Shield

Totals:

Col: 17,550
T3 Materials: 61
T3 Perfect Consumables: 2
T3 Perfect Weapons: 1
T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: 2

Remaining Keys: 4

Another key gone and another display menu of chest contents. This time, Shield really had nothing to complain about. While he much preferred rares to perfects, two pieces of equipment was always a good find. On top of that, two perfect consumables made this chest alone well worth the trip up to the twenty first floor. He greedily collected the contents, not even looking as the chest burst into shards and vanished, rather looking over the list of loot from this venture. He was already in the tens of thousands of Col, and his materials were slowly mounting to impressive heights as well. Comparing those to the actual combat-usable items, he was more than pleased.

"So much for the days of struggling to find equipment," he said with a whistle. "It requires grinding, but there is loot to be found if one is willing to put in the time and the skill points necessary to maximize returns."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101650 results: Craft: 6 - 1 Material

Totals:

T3 Materials: 62

He cast once again, remaining standing at first, just in case of another jackpot. However, after reeling in a single measly fish, it was clear that, at least for the moment, his hot streak was over. This returned him once again to his contemplation over his build going forward. He took his seat once again.

"One thought worth exploring is that the point of loot drops is most effectively accomplished by maximizing damage..." he mused, leaning back against his stony backrest. "Putting points into an actual weapon would only add to my odds of hitting that last hit." He played with this thought for a while, running scenarios in his head on how that might play out. Perhaps a bruiser build, not unlike Morgenstern's. It was an attractive idea. Trying to have the best of both worlds offered significant appeal. Not to mention a last hit bonus was always a nice bragging point. Shield was hardly egotistical, but that was not to say that he was the humblest of players.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101651 results: Craft: 10 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 65

There came another hard tug, pulling him out of his little daydream of being the ubermensch. He sat upright, digging in his heels as quickly as he could and using the added stability to lean back, this time putting his weight against the pull of the line rather than just against a rock. This vantage point offered him more than enough of a foundation to fight against the fish.

Alternating between hauling and rapidly reeling in the slack, he drew in his prey, little by little. Finally, with a sizable catch sitting on the shore, falling still and separating into three cuts of fresh sashimi, Shield was able to relax. He was a little surprised how closely the actual physicality of fishing in the game mirrored the actual motions of fishing. It could also have just been that in the course of satisfying the application of the skill, he just so happened to be going through the motions he remembered from real life fishing. It was a little difficult to tell.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101652 results: Craft: 5 - 1 Material

Totals:

T3 Materials: 66

Shield collected the materials and leaned back once again. From his strong seated position, he was easily able to land the next little nibble as well. The latter fish was simple enough of a catch that he was able to slip back into his inner thoughts. As he did so, something twinged in his stomach. It was hard to put his finger on, but the further he delved back into his little fantasy of landing final hits, the more guilty he felt.

"At that point, I might as well switch out of tanking," he sighed. "If I'm going to do something, I need to do it as well as I can. It's true that my thorns haven't been pulling their weight, but I can't let that get to me. I've built myself around action economy, and doing as much damage as possible passively and using my actions on support and to build up the DPS makes far more sense."

He sighed. That realization more or less made up his mind for him.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101653 results: Craft: 10 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 69

"So, that puts me back on track to tank and thorn as well as I can passively and use my actions to keep up our damage output," he observed. "That means maximizing the skills I already have, probably eventually putting in some points on the Block mods, perhaps even giving myself an offensive option in Shield Bash should I want it."

The next bite came and once again, the fish responsible had a lot of power to its swimming muscles, but his new strategy of using his seated position seemed to be paying off, and he landed this one with little to no difficulty. It was beginning to feel routine. Even the difficult catches were becoming simpler. Then again, this fish and the last one like it were not the strongest of fish to be found in this pond. He stored the meat, chuckling to himself a little at his total of materials. "I've spent too much time in the online gaming community. Not that I have a choice at the moment."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101654 results: Craft: 9 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 72

He began to wrap up his musings about skills, forced now to the conclusion of how best to support the damage dealers in a party. "I suppose the last thing to add there would be the Sharpen mod. So far, although energizing has its place with high energy builds on the field, it's impossible to know the exact energy demands in the first few rounds. Some players miss turns, some take other actions... however, adding damage to those who deal the damage is always fruitful."

He nodded more firmly now, resigned to what was undoubtedly to be his build going forward. "First Aid it is."

As if in response to his conclusion, or perhaps as a sort of punctuation, Shield's line gave a high whine as yet another beefy critter took hold of his bait. He dug in and hauled, setting the hook before proceeding to his process of pulling and reeling that had proved so effective so far, at least against fish of this caliber or less. Once again, he brought it to shore with little to no hassle. "That settles it. We have a method."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101655 results: Craft: 5 - 1 Material

Totals:

T3 Materials: 73

As if in response to his triumphant settling of his 'how to land strong fish' method, the game seemed to find some humor in throwing him exactly the opposite. As his reel clicked lazily, a tiny guppy of a fish leaped out of the water and spished back down. Shield rolled his eyes and wound it in, barely feeling any resistance as he did so. It flipped up out of the water onto land, bouncing like popcorn before falling still and being reduced to its material form.

Shield collected the leftovers, adding them to his stash of loot which was only mounting more and more as the fishing trip dragged on. "Let it never be said that there's no value to grinding in this game." He chuckled to himself, knowing how much his grinding would be looked down on by casual players in other games. After all, one had to have essentially no life to dedicate this much time and effort to a game. However, seeing as this game was now his entire life, whether he wished it or not, he might as well be efficient. "The more effectively I spend my time, the sooner I get out. I hope."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101656 results: Craft: 3 - Nothing

Totals:

T3 Materials: 73

Since he had nothing better to do, and since the little fish seemed to give way to - for the moment - no fish, he began going through a mental check list of what other things he had been putting off making decisions on. There was the matter of the guild as a whole, but until either Beat or Baldur were present, little actual planning could come of his musings. Still, as he thought about those he would be working alongside, another name came to mind.

"Zandra," he said into the aether, leaning forward and resting his cheek on his hand. "I know that I have yet to see her do anything dastardly on her own. Still... to be so close to Ariel, she can't have been in the dark, at least not about her nature. Perhaps the specific details of her doings with Lowenthal are unknown... but still... Still..."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101657 results: Craft: 10 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 76

"There's no such thing as sheer 'guilt by association.' Not on its own at least," he insisted aloud. "Still, where there's smoke there's fire, and most people don't play with fire unless it's something they're very comfortable with." He screwed up his face and rested his forehead against his knee. "I don't know how to feel. Not yet at least. She seems steady enough. I've never seen her attack another player or even pick fights. But she's a power house. No doubt about that. The fact that there are questions on the table is exacerbated by that strength. If she wanted to kill a player, there are very few who could avoid it with any amount of certainty."

His line twitched and then reeled with considerable speed. He gripped his pole firmly, pulling himself out of his thoughts long enough to go through the motions. Pull, reel. Pull, reel. Each time drawing the fish ever closer with methodical determination. He felt like he had shaved a few seconds off of his last time, collecting the meat from the fish in what seemed like next to no time.

Edited by Shield

Searching for Chest

ID# 101658 results: Loot: 10+12=22 - Chest Found!

Totals:

T3 Materials: 76

Shield's thoughts were not doing him any favors. This was a messy subject, and there were no easy answers. He decided to call this spot finished for now and move on down the shore a ways. He reached up, checking his earring before holding out his hand to watch for its glow. It took next to no time this time around. He had barely walked ten paces before it lit up like a light bulb, casting a steady glow on his hand. Looking around, Shield could see very little nearby that could house a hidden chest. He was not immediately next to the water's edge, and there were no broken columns.

His eyes roved to the left, and they settled on a patch of what looked to be gravel. "Could it be?" he thought to himself. Kneeling down, he started to push aside handfuls of gravel. Soon, it became apparent that the patch was more like a pit. Deeper and deeper he dug until finally, he pulled a handful away to reveal a riveted  iron band, clearly the corner of a chest's lid.

Edited by Shield