Col: 19,500
T3 Materials: 79
T3 Rare Consumables: 12
T3 Perfect Consumables: 2
T3 Rare Weapons: 2
T3 Perfect Weapons: 1
T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: 2

Remaining Keys: 3

Shield spent another key from his ring, but unfortunately, he was met with a far less exciting yield. While the contents easily covered the cost of his key, it offered very little else of note. The materials helped, and consumables were worth at least something, but he had no shortage of either. He sighed, adding them to the collection none the less. "You can't win them all, I suppose."

He walked a little ways onward, finding a nice clear spot by a full column, satisfied with his newly found backrest. Plopping down, he shimmied back the last few inches until he made contact, leaning back into it and nodding a satisfied nod. "This will do." He took out his rod and set Lilith on the ground once again, allowing her free reign in her new location. However, she seemed to have tired of exploring and instead wound around Shield's ankle. "Well, I suppose that's allowed as well."

Edited by Shield
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing: [CD 1-4: Nothing] [CD 5-6: 1 Mat] [CD 7-8: 2 Mats] [CD 9-10: 3 Mats] [CD 11-12: 4 Mats] [CD 12 & LD 15+: Treasure Chest]

ID# 101660 results: Craft: 8 - 2 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 81

The new spot, while already more comfortable with a higher, more uniform backrest, proved to be a lucky spot not long after. As soon as his lure hit the water, there came a splash and then a tug. It was not a powerful tug, but it was not so pathetic as the single serving fishes. He pulled back, setting the hook and then winding steadily, no need to employ any special techniques this time to accomplish his goal.

The fish that he landed, while spiny and intimidating looking, was no bigger than his forearm, and upon falling still, it fell apart into two full portions for fresh fish. He shrugged. It was a respectable catch. Tapping the items, he stored them one by one before leaning back and casting once again. "A good start to a new spot, if I do say so myself." He smiled a little to himself, happy to be putting up numbers already.

Edited by Shield

Fishing: [CD 1-4: Nothing] [CD 5-6: 1 Mat] [CD 7-8: 2 Mats] [CD 9-10: 3 Mats] [CD 11-12: 4 Mats] [CD 12 & LD 15+: Treasure Chest]

ID# 101661 results: Craft: 7 - 2 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 83

Shield's second cast had the same results. A moment of waiting, but then another medium powered pull. His line sang happily for a moment before he cranked in another intimidating looking, but ultimately harmless fish. It fell into its two portions and he stored them away. "I need to remember this spot. I just got here and already I've gotten two decent catches. At this rate, I'll pretty much have to lower the price on tier three materials."

He chuckled to himself, throwing the line out once again. He took a moment to do a quick assessment of his unused skill points. He lifted his eyebrows. "I didn't know I had so many. Forty five!" He whistled. "That's practically enough to grand master first aid right here and now. By the time I'm done grinding this quest, I might have enough! From there... it's just the sharpen mod." He smirked.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101662 results: Craft: 4 - Nothing

Totals:

T3 Materials: 83

Shield did some rough calculations, using one hand to absentmindedly cast his lure into the shallows, more just as a formality as he focused on the numbers. "If I stick it out here a little longer... then go home and do a little extra grinding in the slime farm... that should be more than enough to max out the base skill. I need that fifth rank to actually qualify for the mod, but it should be well worth it." It was an odd investment, spending so much to only gain a handful of stat points to an ally's damage, and only with regular input, but in the end, in his mind, it made sense.

"That extra bit of point swing gives us a lot of control over the last few rounds, both between me only replenishing those I choose to replenish, and then boosting only those I choose to boost," he thought aloud. "Yeah... yeah, this is a good move. It'll hopefully make up for the lackluster results of our previous attempt to secure a Last Hit."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101663 results: Craft: 9 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 86

With that, Shield closed his menus, a new level of determination behind his actions. He cast out hard, sending his lure out into deeper waters. He gave the snake at his ankle an extra glance and a pat on her scaly head. "We're going places, Lilith. Slowly but surely!"

His extra force in the cast paid off. Not long after the lure landed, he got a bite, and not an insignificant one. He dug in sharply with his heels, pulling to set the hook and then hauling the line with the full force of his legs and arms. The fish came reluctantly, but it was fighting at a disadvantage. Shield had already landed a number of its friends. It had never faced a Shield before. In no time at all, it was flapping and gasping on the shore, and then a moment later, it was nothing but cuts of sashimi in Shield's inventory.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101664 results: Craft: 11 - 4 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 90

The last cast may have been a fluke, but Shield decided he may as well test the the possibility of a correlation. He stood this time, winding up and using the full range of motion of his shoulder to cast. The lure almost disappeared in the dim light of the cavern, sailing well beyond the last spot where he had landed it. The cavern was still enough that he could hear it touch down, and only then did he sit.

He grunted as he took his position, and then came the sound of his reel. It was not a wimpy or even a moderate whine. It was a cry. The line fed out with a speed that Shield had not seen in some time. It was not as bad as The Lurker had been, but it was something else. He dug in and hunkered down, stopping the reel mid-twirl. The force of the pull almost had him up on his feet, but he forced himself back to the ground and fought with all of his might. This fish, much bigger than the others he had been finding, yielded even a fourth cut of meat.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101666 results :Craft: 10 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 93

He had not lost his determination, however, the last fight had taken his casting arm down a few pegs. Despite his best efforts, he could not get it to fly as far as the last, or at least he estimated as such. He could actually see it land this time, and the sound seemed much more crisp. He sat back down, readying himself for what may come.

He was not disappointed. His hand already on the reel, all the fish managed was to bend the pole, which flexed and strained, but took the force in stride. He hauled and reeled back and forth once again, fighting the familiar pull of a very strong adversary all the way to the shore. With a loud slapping sound, it flipped out of the water and onto the land, sounding more like a load of wet laundry hitting the floor than a clean clap of a hand. It struggled and 'died,' giving way to its true form, which was the tasty looking meat Shield had been amassing.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101667 results: Craft: 9 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 96

It was starting to seem more likely that his suspicions held water. The further out he cast his line, the bigger and more successful his catch seemed. He stood once more pulling back and casting with his full strength. Still, his angle was a little shallow, so despite his extra 'oomph,' he did not have significant distance on his previous cast. Like clockwork, there came a bite, and the pull matched exactly where Shield expected it might based on his previous throws.

"We have a solid theory," he said through gritted teeth as he began to reel. Pull and reel, back and forth, he alternated actions, forcing the catch closer and closer. He was relieved that he need not worry about combat with such quests. Otherwise, he might be neck deep in boss monsters about now. Now, however, with his newest catch following in the footsteps - or perhaps finflaps - of those before it, he was instead neck deep in fish steaks.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101668 results: Craft: 9 - 3 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 99

Spurred on by the so far success of his hypothesis, he tried to adjust his angle. However, in doing so, he over compensated, throwing his line a little higher than necessary. It petered out shorter than he had hoped, dropping a little short of his last throw. He frowned, but none the less, he prepared himself for a similarly strong fish. Within a minute, there came a pull. He did not need to question it any longer. He knew what he had landed.

It was a rhythm now, like rowing a boat. Pull, wind, pull. Back and forth from one task to the next, even going so far as to let the initial shock of the fish pulling against a taut line and the bounce back from it to gain extra inches along the way. Once again, with minimal effort, he had landed another impressive specimen. It fell to pieces before him, and he stored each of them away with the others.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101669 results: Craft: 6 - 1 Material

Totals:

T3 Materials: 100

"Ninety nine crafting materials, huh?" he said, reading out the results of his last catch. "Well, let's make that one hundred then!" He cast as he spoke, but apparently that was one too many activities to handle at once. His finger held the line just a moment too long, and the line splashed down ten feet in front of him. Almost to mock him, a little fish leaped out of the water and swam down after it. "Well, I suppose I get to sleep in that bed now," he groaned.

The fight could not even be called as such. The fish he caught added no real weight to the line, either from its mass or from its strength. He packed it away with the others, rolling his eyes as the ninety nine rolled over to a clean one hundred. "Okay... note to self. Don't give the game opportunities to use words against you." He did not want to explain that further, just in case Cardinal decided to take those words and make him eat those as well.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101671 results: Craft: 7 - 2 Materials

Totals:

T3 Materials: 102

Shield took a deep breath. Although he was excited on some level that he had make new breakthroughs on discovering the method behind the skill, he had been doing his best and still falling short of his goal. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, trying to relax his mind and close out distractions. After he had taken his moment, he opened his eyes, stepped forward, wound up and let his reel fly.

And fly it did. It sailed at the perfect angle, arcing up and away better than any of his prior casts. However, before it went far, a bat swooped down unexpectedly and collided with it midair, flapping away and screeching. Two minutes later, Shield had two more fresh fish cuts sitting on the ground at his feet. He pursed his lips. "Well, since succeeding on purpose hasn't been working, let's try failing on purpose then!"

Edited by Shield

ID# 101672 results: Craft: 5 - 1 Material

Totals:

T3 Materials: 103

He pulled back and intentionally dumped his lure into the shallows. As he might have expected, it went right where he aimed. Once again, a little nothing of a fish happily leaped out of the water and chased the shiny lure. Shield sighed and waited a moment, watching the fish barely manage to budge the bobber before finally putting it out of its misery by pulling it up onto shore with little more than a crank to set the hook and a little flick of his wrist.

There seemed to be no real point behind trying too hard. Besides, it wasn't as though he had not amassed quite a stash. "Maybe it's time to pack up and call it good for the day," he said, giving his shoulders a halfhearted shrug. "I'll give it one more go, and we'll see where the chips fall." He gathered up Lilith, peeling her off of his leg and sliding her head into his sleeve. She took the hint and slithered the rest of the way inside, disappearing with a flick of her tail.

Edited by Shield

ID# 101673 results: Craft: 12, Loot: 7+12=19 - Chest Found!

Totals:

T3 Materials: 103

Shield paused, remembering a movie that he had watched with his daughters once upon a time. "Oh... what the hell. Loose... relaxed... feet apart..." He twitched back the rod. "Ten o'clock..." He twitched it to the side a little. "Two o'clock. Quarter to three." He then began to hop around on either foot and spun awkwardly. "Tour jeté, twist, pas de deux, I'm a little teapot, then the windup... and let 'er fly!"

He hurled the pole forward with the entire force of his body and the reel sung as it fed out. He lost sight of it, but the hang time was incredible before he heard a distant splash down. "...The perfect cast..." 

He began to reel in his line, but as soon as he did, it hit a snag. "No..." He pulled harder, and the unmistakable weight of a chest resisted. He reeled in feverishly until finally a chest sat beside him on the shore, dripping and soggy from the lake.

Edited by Shield

Using Gold Key

Opening Chest:

ID#: 101675, Loot: 11+7=18 - 3,900 Col, 8 T3 Materials, 1 Perfect T3 Armor/Shield, 2 Rare T3 Consumables

Totals:

Col: 23,400
T3 Materials: 111
T3 Rare Consumables: 14
T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: 3

Remaining Keys: 2

Fumbling with his keys in is excitement, he finally managed to separate one from the jumble of the others, holding it out before the lock. It vanished with a puff and a clink, and the lid popped open. Glancing at the display, Shield beamed. "More armor. Excellent!" He scrolled through the rest, which was respectable but far less interesting to him. He collected it all and watched as the chest burst and dissipated into nothing.

"Okay... so the perfect cast served me well once..." he chewed on his lip for a moment and looked both ways. "Couldn't hurt to keep trying. If it keeps working, I might need to actually trade out for more keys." He chuckled to himself, shaking his head at how ridiculous the whole thing had become, but as long as he was trying again, he might as well give it a shot. "Could be the programmers liked the same kinda kid's movies I do."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101678 results: Craft 12, Loot: 2+12=14 [Post-facto use of basement's Versatile bonus] 14+2=16 - Chest Found!

Totals:

Col: 23,400
T3 Materials: 111
T3 Rare Consumables: 14

Remaining Keys: 2

Shield took a moment and shook out, remembering the exact method of his last cast. As he walked through it, he recited the line. "You gotta stay loose, relaxed. Keep your feet apart. Now, ten o'clock, two o'clock, quarter to three, tour jeté, twist, pas de deux, I'm a little teapot, then the windup... and let 'er fly!"

Once again, with a majestic arc, the lure sped away, disappearing in the air of the semi light of the cavern. There came another clear sploosh from the other side of the lake, and once again, Shield began to reel in. It didn't take him long to find another snag, and as soon as he did, he picked up the pace of his reeling. With a little work and a little impatience to fuel it, he found himself hauling yet another chest up and out of the water. He could scarcely believe his luck.

Edited by Shield

Using Gold Key

Opening Chest:

ID#: 101679, Loot: 2+7=9 - 5,200 Col, 3 T3 Materials, 2 Rare T3 Consumable

Totals:

Col: 25,350
T3 Materials: 114
T3 Rare Consumables: 16

Remaining Keys: 1

Taking out the now nearly empty key ring, Shield held his second to last key to the lock and watched it vanish. The lid popped open, and he checked the readout. It was lackluster to say the least. Again, it easily covered the expense of the key, and it gave him a few lesser items to add to the mounting piles of treasure, but nothing that really made the contents stand out. He collected the items and watched as the chest vanished like all of the others before it.

"Well, we've found some interesting things today," he thought aloud. In his sleeve, he felt Lilith's tongue tickle his skin. "Oh, shut up. I wasn't asking for someone to judge my casting form, you know." Again, he felt the tongue on his arm. "Smart ass snake." Recovering his fishing pole from the ground, he reset himself, preparing for another cast. "Right."

Edited by Shield

ID# 101680 results: Craft: 12, Loot: 10+12=22 - Chest Found!

Totals:

Col: 25,350
T3 Materials: 114
T3 Rare Consumables: 16

Remaining Keys: 1

Shield relaxed himself, loosening his shoulders. He then took a deep breath. "Third time's a charm," he whispered to himself before positioning his pole. "Keep your feet apart... Now, ten o'clock, two o'clock, quarter to three, tour jeté, twist, pas de deux, I'm a little teapot, then the windup... and let 'er fly!" he shouted, his voice as well as the sound of his reel echoing off of the hard walls and carrying across the water. This time, his eyes did a slightly better job of following his lure, and he could tell that it was going to go plenty farther than any of his non-perfect casts.

There came a sploosh once again, and he set about reeling his line in once again. And once again, there came a snag. He smiled triumphantly and pulled to dislodge the chest from the floor of the pool and reeled as fast as he could, bringing it safely to shore.

Edited by Shield

Using Gold Key

Opening Chest:

ID#: 101682, Loot: 11+7=18 - 3,900 Col, 8 T3 Materials, 1 Perfect T3 Armor/Shield, 2 Rare T3 Consumables

Totals:

Col: 29,250
T3 Materials: 122
T3 Rare Consumables: 18
T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: 4

Remaining Keys: 0

Shield reached down and took out his ring. On it there rattled only one remaining key. He was definitely going to need to replenish his stock now, but that was hardly consequential. He held out the last of the keys and it too vanished, opening the lid of the chest. This one was much more rewarding than the one before. Although most of the contents were relatively the same, there was another piece of perfect armor there waiting for him.

"I can't even complain that I'm out of keys," he sighed contentedly, emptying the contents of the chest and thus spelling its demise. "I've made quite the killing on this venture. I'd say that it's time to call it a day." Navigating through his menus, he found his shop inventory and looked it over. "Yeah, I have plenty of keys waiting in my merchant stock. This should be no problem."

Edited by Shield

[Buying Gold Keys from Merchant Stock]

-10,000 Col (Will do so later. Cannot find option on mobile site to access economy dashboard)

+10 Gold Keys

Totals:

Remaining Keys: 10

With his menus open he sent a Col transfer to his shop account, waiting until it had finished before going ahead and withdrawing ten more keys and placing them in his active inventory. From there, it was simply a matter of attaching them to the key ring and attaching the ring to his belt once again. It was a nice feature, and an appropriate one for a unique hunter like himself.

"Alright, Lilith, time to make our way home," he said with a nod. She did not argue. He set forth towards the cavern exit, tracing their path back toward Tomoko. It was a winding way, and it led through a number of tunnels. However, at a certain point, it dawned on Shield that he had not been paying any attention to his earring. While he hardly needed more chests, they were always worth at least watching for. "Silly me."

Edited by Shield

Searching for Chest:

Totals:

D# 101683 results: Loot: 14+12=26 - Chest Found!

Totals:

Remaining Keys: 10

He held up his hand, watching it like a projector screen for any signs of light. Patches of pale blue or purple would slide across his palm as he walked by this fungus or that crystal. However, after a while of walking, a golden hue appeared in his hand. He walked further, and it continued to grow in intensity. Before long, his palm glowed with an intense light that was unmistakable. Lowering his hand, he found himself staring at a blank stretch of wall adorned only with a blue flamed torch in a black iron bracket. He smirked. "This trick again." He pulled down on the handle and watched as the wall revolved, producing a stone chest from behind the secret door. "At least the creators are consistent with this one. Or they seem to be, at least."

He knelt down beside it, taking out his fresh batch of keys and singling one out. "Here goes nothing."

Edited by Shield