[F21] Helpful Advice <<Nature's Treasure>> w/Shield

Log Entry Fifteen

I look to Shield for advice and answers. So he takes me along for a fishing trip. Who knew fishing could be so easy? 

-----------------------------------

Cosi sat on the simple armchair in his log cabin of a merchant shop on the fourth floor. The fire crackled, the place smelled of spruce and pine, and the house was cozily warm. But Cosi didn't feel tired at all. He was thinking of the quest that he had down with the front liner called Shield. That man new so much and seemed so experienced. He was also practically the same build as Cosi. Shield just dropped offense entirely for total defense. I wonder if there's anymore advice he would be willing to give me? If I want to gain levels quickly I'll need all the help I can get. Cosi sat up and leaned forward, his brow furrowed in thought. I wonder if he'd mentor me? Cosi threw his doubts to the wind and decided to message the high leveled player.

Hello Shield. This is Cosi. I have some questions on my mind that I think you would be the best one to answer. Is there a place and time we can meet up?

@Shield

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consuming:

Good Luck Chuck - Applying +1 Kitchen Bonus [+4 LD]
Filthy Rich Chocolate [+1 Prosperity]

Equipped:

Seeking Aura [+3 LD]
Raw Passion [+3 Prosperity]

Skills:

Search & Detect [+5 LD]
Picking [+3 LD - Chest opening only]
-Dismantling [+2 LD - Chest opening only]

Totals:

+12 LD
+4 Prosperity
+5 LD [Chest opening only]

Shield was just finishing adding seasoning to a steak in his kitchen when he heard the soft chime of his inbox notification. Opening his mail, he saw a name he had not expected to see again so soon. "Cosi... Looking for some answers to questions? Well..." he glanced over at the lunch he was preparing along with the side of chocolate he would be consuming for extra Col boosts. "I suppose having company for the trip couldn't hurt." He turned off his stove and stored away his food items, making for the door. His fingers flew through his menus, bringing up a blank correspondence window to reply.

'Cosi,

I'm going fishing up on the twenty first floor. I know of a few paths that will be safe to take to a secluded little fishing spot. If you'd like to, you can tag along. It likely won't be action packed like the warg fight, but it should get you some valuable information and loot. Meet me at the north edge of the safe zone of Tomoika.

-Shield'

He set out at once, making his way to Taft and then on to the teleportation plaza up to Tomokia on floor twenty one, eating his steak and chocolate along the way. With his consumables consumed and his best seeking gear equipped, he stood by the edge of the rope bridge out to the mines.

Cosi sat in his living room, the roaring fire the only noise, as he waited in anticipation. As soon as the blonde haired tank heard a ding he scrambled to open his menu. The notification was a message from Shield. Shield said he could tag along with Shield on a fishing trip. All he had to do was head up to the twenty first floor. Even with going up to such a high floor Cosi pumped his fist and quickly gathered his gear. Cosi ran to the teleporter in Snowfrost and headed for the settlement of Tomoika on the twenty first floor. When Cosi reached the specified floor it was like nothing he had ever seen before. There was no sun. The floor was one massive cavern lit by strange plant life and glowing fungi. Cosi stared  at the massive stalactites and stalagmites in awe when he remembered he was here with a purpose. Cosi ran off to go find Shield.   

@Shield

Fishing: ID# 105584 results: Craft: 6 - 1 Material

- Loot Finding -

Searching:  LD rolls of 11-14 give 1 material.  LD rolls of 15+ give 2 materials.  Gatherer skill is added to this roll as well.

Fishing CD Results: [1-4: Nothing] [5-6: 1 Material] [7-8: 2 Materials] [9-10: 3 Materials] [11: 4 Materials] [12 + LD 1-14 - 4 Materials] [12 + LD 15+ - Treasure Chest]

Treasure Chests:  LD of 1-3 does not result in a mimic, but drops (Floor * 25) col and one material.

Looting Mobs:  Loot required mobs always drop (HP * 4) col and 1 material as default drops.

As Cosi caught up with him, Shield gave an incline of his head in stoic greeting. "Good to see you again," he said cordially, turning towards the edge of the safe zone. "The floor has some strong mobs, but as long as you follow closely, they shouldn't get near us." He motioned for Cosi to follow and began across the rope bridge and then trekking down the nearest tunnel into the mines. After some winding passages and some turns in the very dimly lit cavern passages, eventually they came to a stretch of wall where Shield paused. He held his gauntleted hand up and pressed it to the stone, running along the surface slowly until his hand sank into the wall. The illusory barrier was imperceptible to the naked eye, hovering over the gap silently as though it were just more wall. Shield stepped through and into an expansive cavern covered roof and floor with jagged stalagmites and stalactites.

Shield took a seat on a nearby ridge overlooking the pointed floor, taking out his fishing tackle. Pulling back his pole arm, he cast down into the pit of stalagmites. However, once he did, the stone structures wavered and rippled, revealing that they were not a floor at all, but rather a surface of an underground lake that had been so still that it was practically just a mirror of the spiked ceiling above. He glanced back at Cosi. "You're welcome to come and fish. What did you wish to discuss?" As he asked, his reel whined, and he lazily began to reel in what revealed itself to be a small fish. As soon as he had pulled it up onto shore, it fell apart, leaving behind only a single clean cut of fish which Shield collected.

Edited by Shield

Cosi nodded his head in greeting, "Good ot see you as well Shield." Cosi followed the tank closely, definitely not wanting to even catch a glimpse of a monster from this floor. Cosi didn't know exactly how high level Shield once but if floor Five was a challenge for Cosi full of massive sand worms Cosi could bet that any mob here would kill him. The platinum blonde followed Shield, who wasn't wearing his armor but instead normal tan and beige almost hiking clothes- the only new additions were a necklace with a large rough hewn gem and a silver earring, through the illusionary wall and into the breath taking area behind. Cosi was lloking up at the ceiling of spikes and strange flora, and probably would've have walked into the underground lake had Shield not sat down at the edge of it. At the tank's invitation Cosi sat down beside him and pulled out his own rod, pulled back his arm and with a whip like motion sent his line far out into the lake. "Well, first question: I was planning on taking your advice and going out to get my familiar and I was just wondering what preparation I should take beforehand if any?"

Fishing: ID# 105585- results: Craft: 11- 4 Mats

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105587 results: Craft: 3 - Nothing

Fishing CD Results: [1-4: Nothing] [5-6: 1 Material] [7-8: 2 Materials] [9-10: 3 Materials] [11: 4 Materials] [12 + LD 1-14 - 4 Materials] [12 + LD 15+ - Treasure Chest]

Treasure Chests:  LD of 1-3 does not result in a mimic, but drops (Floor * 25) col and one material.

Shield sat thoughtfully as he weighed the question. "Well, there's a lot to keep in mind with that question. First and foremost, you have to decide what you want to go for in a familiar. You can train most familiars to handle most tasks, but there are certain aesthetic choices to make. That part is up to you," he said, turning the handle of his rod over in his hands as his line lay slack in the water. "You'll want to train it to compliment your build though. For tanking, you'll either want it to defend you or heal you. For me, healing made more sense, since one of the items in my build adds to defense, I'd be wasting slots by doubling up. So healing was the most logical option. For you, the odds of being able to upgrade a Manticore Mask shield like mine are rare, so you'll likely want to have your defense sorted and free up your armor slots for other things."

The actual question had yet to be addressed, but Shield figured they had plenty of time. After all, he had taken plenty of time to optimize his build. The least he could do was share his experience top to bottom. "Once you decide on all that, it'll give you an idea of what floor you want to search for your chosen familiar."

Edited by Shield

Cosi nods, listening to ever word Shield says then he feels a tug on his line. Cosi reels in the the line and sees quite a big fish on the end. Cosi's eyes go wide then the fish disappears and turns into four slices of fish meat. Cosi collects the fish, casts out his line, and then turns back to Shield. "What about damage? I saw a player with a familiar that augmented his damage. Would that be a viable strategy? Get a familiar to do damage to free up armor and weapon slots for other enhancements?" Cosi waits for the front liner's answer and turns his attention back to fishing. In a couple seconds he gets another bite and reels in a second- albeit smaller- fish which turns into a single slice of meat. Cosi pockets it and casts again. Just sitting, talking, and fishing is so soothing. Its almost meditative, seeming to clear Cosi's mind and sharpen his focus.

Fishing: ID# 105588- CD: 6- result: 1

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105591 results: Craft: 12, Loot: 3+12=15 - Chest Found!

"You almost always want to use your familiar for things you know you will always need," he said, giving a slight shake to his head. "Damage might be nice, but there are other ways to achieve it. On the other hand, as a tank, you will always need defense. The only real reason you'd take a damage familiar is if you're a DPS who's going glass canon and dedicating a full slot to damage, a full slot to accuracy, and a full slot to tertiary damage boosters like bleed, or a unique enhancement or two if you're lucky."

Shield swiped through the air and brought up a document that was clearly hand written, and very extensive. "This is a breakdown of returns on investments with different familiar builds. There are really only a few overall options that make sense, no matter what your build is. For example, you would think that loot drops would be good for scouts, since it enhances their role's man stat, but even scouts use their combat skills more than their searching skills, and any bonus a familiar would give to scouting could easily be replaced by a swappable item. Accuracy likewise is not ideal, even though it's a very important enhancement for DPS, because that forces them to then put damage onto their weapon and then means they can't add extra effects like bleed or even a unique like Holy or Phase. If something can be put onto a trinket or an extra piece of armor, then it's not suited for use on a familiar in the end."

"Now," Shield went on, swiping that document away and bringing up another, "While damage might be handy, it can be put onto a weapon for you, and since you only have so many useable slots, you're not probably going to be using more than one offensive item at a time, and if you are, it'll be for damage and accuracy, meaning you still need mitigation and probably thorns on your remaining two slots. No matter what though, you will almost always need mitigation, so placing it on your familiar frees up extra slots to make you a more versatile, powerful character."

Shield realized that his line was left unattended and made to reel it back in. However, as he did so, his line fought against him. Tugging hard, he dislodged something from the dark lake bottom and with a little more pulling managed to haul a waterlogged chest onto shore. "Leave that to me," he said, standing and crossing over to it. His hand went to his belt where hung his ring of golden keys. "I've got this."

Edited by Shield

Cosi listened intently to Shield's extensive knowledge and experience. A lot of it made sense especially coming from the wise and high leveled player. Cosi nodded as he listened. It all made sense. He could get damage or accuracy from enhancements while something like healing couldn't be gotten through enhancement slots. Then Cosi had an idea, "So would you think mitigation would be worth while? Does its give the same bonus as a slot of mit on an armor?" Cosi hardly even noticed when Shield fished up the treasure chest. He was too fixated on Shield's extensive wisdom and the coming answer. Cosi hardly noticed when his line when taut. Cosi quickly pulled in the line, and netted himself three more materials. After pulling out the large fish, Cosi cast out his line again and waited for Shield's answer. This conversation was getting Cosi pumped up. He was excited to get a familiar. 

Fishing: ID# 105593- CD: 10 Result: 3 

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Using Golden Key [8 remaining]

Opening Chest:

ID# 105597 LD:12+7=19 CD:11 3,750 Col, 8 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Rare Consumables, 1 T3 Perfect Armor/Shield

Shield took one of the keys and held it up to the lock. Before it could touch, it vanished in a puff of gold dust and a tinkling of metal. The lid popped open and a window appeared with a readout of the contents. He gave a smile and a nod and selected the option to collect all contents. With the item empty, its stamina immediately dropped to zero and it burst into shards. Shield stood up and dusted himself off.

"That's precisely it," he said, pointing to Cosi. "If you ever find a must have piece of equipment that provides partial mitigation, you could find another piece to fill in the gaps in your defense and switch to a healing familiar like me, but tanks will almost always want mitigation always on hand." With that, he took up his pole again and cast out into the water, slowly reeling it back in again.

Loot Totals:

Col: 3,750

T3 Materials: 17

T3 Rare Consumables: [105597a] [105597b]

T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: [105597c]

Edited by Shield

"Okay, okay." Cosi kicks his feet a little as they hang over the edge, excited at this prospect. Excited at the idea of improvement. Cosi smiled and went back to fishing as Shield went to go open the chest. Cosi heard the treasure chest click open and the screen of rewards pop open. Cosi grinned, "What'd you get? Anything good?" As he asked Cosi suddenly felt an enormous weight on his line. Cosi tugged, then pulled, and then heaved on his line trying to bring up whatever he had caught. As he reeled in the line Cosi saw that he had also fished up a chest. This one was a heavy wood chest reinforced by iron. Cosi pulled it out of the water and set it on the shore. "Hey Shield. You want to open another one?" Cosi said gesturing to the chest. It seemed this was their lucky day. Or at least Cosi's. He usually had terrible luck at finding things. 

Fishing: ID# 105605- CD: 12 LD: 15 result- Chest! 

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Using Golden Key [7 remaining]

Opening Chest:

ID# 105606 LD:9+7=16 CD:3 3,750 Col, 8 T3 Materials, 2 T3 Rare Consumables, 1 T3 Perfect Armor/Shield

Shield was already at Cosi's shoulder, eager to put his skills and abilities to use. "Chests always have crafting materials and a decent chunk of Col, but that one also had some consumables and an armor. Let's see what we have in this one." With that, he knelt down and pulled out his ring of keys, holding one of them up to the lock. Just like before, it disintegrated with the sound of lightly jangling metal and the lid popped open of its own accord. The display at first seemed to be a mistake, or at least Shield thought he was imagining it, but as he looked over it again, he nodded. "This one much have been the exact same value on the loot tables, because the contents are identical!"

Again, he collected the contents and the chest shattered upon being emptied. He straightened up and returned to his tackle, sitting down on the shore. "Well, if our luck holds up, he should walk away from this with quite a considerable return! You can't make much use of the tier 3 equipment, and likely you won't have use for the mats either, but you're welcome to all of the money we find. I can even trade you some of the gold for materials that will be usable at your level, just straight from my merchant stock."

Loot Totals:

Col: 7,500

T3 Materials: 25

T3 Rare Consumables: [105597a] [105597b] [105606a] [105606b]

T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: [105597c] [105606c]

Edited by Shield

"Nice!" Cosi said as he got up and looked over Shield's shoulder at the chest loot. Afteer Shield collects it all Cosi moves back to his seat, sits back down, and casts his line again. "This place just seems to be full of loot and items. I'm guessing that's why you come here. It is probably the best for material gathering." Cosi feels a sharp tug on his line and quickly begins to reel it in. At the end is another large fish which turns into particles and becomes four more materials which Cosi hands over to Shield, as it seems they are condensing the loot and materials found."That sounds good. I will need some T1 mats because it seems most profession prefer to be paid in mats and not Col." Cosi turns to Shield, "So if I'm going for a familiar that gives me mit, Where do you think I would find one? Or can you find any type of familiar on practically any floor?"

Fishing: ID# 105608- CD: 11- result: 4

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105609 results: Craft: 4 - Nothing

Shield cast his line out again and began slowly reeling it towards shore. "That's entirely up to you," Shield said, shrugging slightly. "Like I said, any familiar can in theory learn any familiar skill. I personally like picking things that somehow fit thematically. My first familiar was a mitigation familiar. That was Norbert, my snapping turtle. An obvious choice for obvious reasons. In the end though, once I found the Manticore Mask, that already had a slot of mitigation on it, so lugging around a big bulky turtle was no longer ideal. He's in a tank off of my shop now."

His line came back empty. Shield shrugged and tossed it back out again, contenting himself to continue discussing the prospect of familiar hunting. "If you want something that'll fit the theme of armor, you would pick something with a tough exoskeleton like a crab or a centipede, or you could go with something more overt like an armadillo, since their name literally means 'little armored one' in Spanish. In any case, the real matter at hand is how to prepare for the trip, because finding a familiar is arduous."

Shield's own familiar, Lilith the vibrantly colored bush viper, slid out of his sleeve and rolled across the back of his hand. "Because of how the Performer's 'Familiar Sight' song is worded in the menus, players figured out that it's a mechanic based off of your loot finding ability. Most anything that boosts loot finding will also help find a familiar. What bonuses do you currently get?"

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 29

Edited by Shield

Cosi nods his head as he casts out his line again. Cosi is hardly paying attention to the fishing- though he still seems to be doing well- and is mostly listening to Shield. "Okay, so I'll be able to teach the familiar the chosen skill or what ever you'd call it." Cosi reels in his pole adding one more material to their ever growing pile. He nods at Shield's statement that finding a familiar is arduous. Cosi expected as much when it was a quest that practically gave you another piece of equipment. "I've ordered a perfect LD consumable from Neo and I've sunk some sp into the searching skill. That feels like too little though. Anything else I can do to give me a bonus? I noticed you have on different equipment for this quest. Would it be prudent for me to get a sort of 'searching gear'?" Cosi waits for Shield's answer. 

Fishing: ID# 105611- CD: 6- result: 1

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105612 results: Craft: 5 - +1 Material

Shield gave a steady nod, keeping his eyes out on the lake, watching as his line made its way back to shore. "There are going to be times when you need to boost your abilities artificially like that. The perfect consumable is a good start. There's also that performer enhancement I mentioned. That'll net you a little extra help on the consumable side. If you can find an artisan that will take orders, I'd get yourself a perfect loot finding trinket as well, like this one here." He flicked the earring that adorned his right lobe. "Between all of those bonuses, all working together, it great enhances your odds of finding a familiar the first time you try as opposed to having to exhaust an entire floor like Beat had to do when we were trying to find him a falcon."

As his line came near the shallows, his pole bowed slightly under the pull of a small fish. It was no big ordeal pulling it free from the water, and as soon as it did, it fell apart into a fresh cut of raw fish steak just like the ones before it.

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 31

Edited by Shield

Cosi pulled on his taunt line and brought in another smaller fish. He added the single cut of meat to the pile and then turned to Shield, "Alright, I'll make sure to order those both soon- probably right after this- so that'll get all of these buffs around the same time. Do you have a preferred artisan? I know Macradon is a master blacksmith but I haven't heard of any artisans with his level of skill in their craft." Cosi cast out his line, his wrist flicking in a small full circle to send it flying far into the underground lake. Cosi winced at Shield's comment about searching an entire floor and wondered how long that must have been. Cosi didn't want to know. "Shield? Would you be willing to accompany me on my search for my familiar? I understand if you don't or can't. It would just be nice...reassuring.." Cosi couldn't think of the right word but he went on, "It would be good to have you there."

Fishing: ID# 105613- CD: 6- result: 1

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105614 results: Craft: 9 - +3 Materials

"I typically go to Domarus," he answered. "He runs the Painted Stones. He does good work, and he seems nice enough, though he isn't max rank that I'm aware of. Only a handful of players have maxed out their craft, only two of which I know of are currently in business, myself and Macradon who you've met. I've done business with Domarus for a while. Still, he may not be as active as he once was. You may have to poke around to find someone else if you can't get a hold of him."

As soon as Shield cast his line, his reel whined and his pole arced forward towards the water. Giving a quick tug to set the hook, Shield fought a decent sized fish to the shore, finally pulling it up out of the water at its edge. It fell into three cuts of sashimi, which he collected. With that, he turned to address the question that had been asked him. "I'm not opposed to helping, though I will say I've got a lot of work to put towards some projects on the front lines. So if you're prepared and can boost your odds as much as possible, then I'm more than happy to accompany you. I just can't scour an entire floor again at the moment."

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 35

Edited by Shield

fishing: ID# 105615- CD: 12 LD: 5+1= 6- result: 4 

"Thanks, I'll have to look him up." Cosi began to reel in his line, "And that seems fair enough. I don't want to have to look all over an entire floor so I'll make sure to be adequately, maybe even over, prepared." Cosi felt a hard tug on his rod and as Cosi tried to pull it up he thought it might be another treasure chest lodged at the bottom of the lake. But as Cosi pulled and heaved and finally got whatever it was on the end of his hook out of the water he saw that it was a large fish, several feet in length. Cosi took the fish and was rewarded with four pieces of raw fish meat. He added them to the pile and cast out his line again, thoroughly enjoying himself. "So moving past finding a familiar, What do you think my next step in my sword and shield, brawler build should be?" 

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Searching for Chest: ID# 105616 results: Loot: 19+12=31 - Chest Found!

Shield set down his fishing rod and stood up, stretching himself out a little as he thought over the question. "Well, you'll want to hit the highlight of both tank and DPS with both equipment and skills," he said, glancing around the cavern. He knew from experience that there were more chests to be found than just what was in the water, so he figured he might as well look around and see what he could find. "The first question is which types of items you want to build towards. You're already playing sword and board, but there are also plenty of players who go two handed weapon. If you want to stick with the shield, I'd recommend putting thorns on one and using the last slot for something specific to you. Taunt is good for a tank, especially if you want to spend more turns attacking and fewer turns howling. Recovery is my go to, but I also play support and need to be able to keep funneling energy and buffs to players." 

He wandered down the stony shore, looking back and forth for anything unusual. As he passed by a bit of stony reef by the edge of the water,  his earring lit up like a torch, casting a steady golden glow on his shoulder. Looking again at the water's edge, he saw what it was his earring had detected. A wooden rounded lid stood partially out of the water. Wading in after it, Shield hauled the heavy container up onto the shore. With a sigh, he turned back to Cosi. "As far as offense, going damage on a weapon and accuracy on a trinket is the most surefire way to get it."

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 39

Edited by Shield