[F21] Helpful Advice <<Nature's Treasure>> w/Shield

Cosi stood up when Shield did but once he saw the tank was just stretching he went back to fishing casting his line far out into the center of the lake. He thought about what Shield said jsut then. Cosi still needed to do research about what all the enhancements did. He only knew so many. So realizing it was better to ask and seem unenlightened rather then act like he knew and be the fool later Cosi voices this. "I can't say I know exactly what taut does, could you elaborate? Also what are your feelings on or experience with heavy momentum? I ask mainly because I've got a piece of plate armor that I identified back at my shop with a slot of that on it." Cosi cast out his line as he waited for Shield to answer. Cosi had reeled in another fish, added two more fish steaks to the pile, adn cast out his line again before he realized that Shield had moved off and had found a third treasure chest in the shallows of the lake.

Fishing: ID# 105617- CD: 7- result: 2

@Shield

Edited by Cosi
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Golden Key [6 Remaining]

Opening Chest:

ID# 105618 LD:16+7=23 CD:9 5,000 Col, 10 T3 Materials, 1 T3 Perfect Consumable, 2 T3 Perfect Weapon

With key in hand, Shield opened the newfound chest. Although the Col and material drops were both good, and this was clearly designed to be a superior chest haul, the two weapons inside were far less interesting to him than the potential for armor. He collected them all none the less though and went on to return to the spot where he had been fishing with Cosi.

"Taunt is an enhancement that only goes on weapons and shields," he said, explaining as best he could. "It increases the hate you generate from both howling and successfully attacking. Heavy momentum is... I suppose fine if you're going for glass-canon and are fighting something with very high evasion, but the DPS output from that is so low. If you're planning your build around missing, then you're missing out on damage each time you fail to hit." He plopped himself down on the stone and recovered his rod, lining up his next cast.

Loot Totals:

Col: 12,500

T3 Materials: 51

T3 Rare Consumables: [105597a] [105597b] [105606a] [105606b]

T3 Perfect Consumables: [105618a]

T3 Perfect Weapons: [105618b] [105618c]

T3 Perfect Armor/Shield: [105597c] [105606c]

Edited by Shield

Cosi nodded his head. That all made sense. Taunt seemed very good and heavy momentum while alright did seem bad for his build. As Shield had said every time Cosi missed activated heavy momentum but every time Cosi missed he wasn't dealing damage which was not good. Cosi needed to split his focus between defense and damage. As Shield came back and began fishing again Cosi turned to him, "That makes sense. So what are some other enhancements that would help my build? Besides the normal staple ones of course. Also since I'm a merchant and that makes it that much- which isn't much- easier to get uniques What are some unique enhancements that could help my build?" Cosi reeled in his line as he felt several sharp tugs on it. He had caught himself a large fish, not the largest he had caught while out here, but large enough to give Cosi three more materials to add to the ever growing pile. 

Fishing: ID# 105620- CD: 9- result: 3

Fishing CD Results: [1-4: Nothing] [5-6: 1 Material] [7-8: 2 Materials] [9-10: 3 Materials] [11: 4 Materials] [12 + LD 1-14 - 4 Materials] [12 + LD 15+ - Treasure Chest]

Treasure Chests:  LD of 1-3 does not result in a mimic, but drops (Floor * 25) col and one material.

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105621 results: Craft: 1 - Nothing

Fishing CD Results: [1-4: Nothing] [5-6: 1 Material] [7-8: 2 Materials] [9-10: 3 Materials] [11: 4 Materials] [12 + LD 1-14 - 4 Materials] [12 + LD 15+ - Treasure Chest]

Treasure Chests:  LD of 1-3 does not result in a mimic, but drops (Floor * 25) col and one material.

Shield weighed the question. There was a lot to analyze. "Your biggest challenge is probably going to be keeping a build within the allowed number of skill slots. In which case, any enhancement that partially supplements what a skill might do for you could be useful. If you're not able to invest in Battle Healing just yet, Regen will do in a pinch, though Battle Healing continues to improve as you level up. I consider it indispensable, but it could be replaced if need be."

Shield's bobber was once again sitting on the surface undisturbed, no sign of any kind of bite in sight. He turned his attention to his thoughts and the conversation at hand. "One other thing to consider is to eschew the shield altogether and actually go two-handed. If you consider that option, that opens up the possibility of dodge-tanking, or focusing on evasion rather than blocking to survive hits. Usually the limitation of dodge tanking is that it's best suited for light armor, which can't hold as much mitigation, but if you're getting your mitigation from a familiar, that would allow you to go full evasion and also have really high defense for when you do need to soak the occasional hit." He raised his hand to his mouth, lightly stroking his facial hair. "In which case, you can piggy-back your offense off of your defense. In that build, I'd go with damage on a weapon, accuracy on a trinket, and evasion on a set of armor."

Shield had completely abandoned the topic of unique enhancements for now. That was an entire other matter that would need to be addressed later. "In all honesty, when you're trying to split yourself between offense and defense, your best bets aren't going to be rare enhancements. You need to fully cover your basics. The rare or unusual enhancements tend to be additive to the basics, but in and of themselves not as effective."

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 54

Edited by Shield

Cosi’s eyes widened as he realized the simple strength of the build that Shield was discribing. With his familiar providing mitigation and armor Cosi could drop the shield which would allow him to focus accuracy and damage as well as add evasion to his build. And he would be able to use a two handed sword which would increase his damage output. Cosi grinned. Cosi always enjoyed the simple sword and shield build when he played video games. But this build intrigued him. “So would this build work with heavy armor or does it have to be light? Because I’ve already put two tanks into heavy. But this build does interest me. It really does. I guess just tell me more is what I’m saying.” Cosi paused to reel in the fish that was thrashing on his line. He pulled in the fish, set aside the two more materials it gave him, and then turned back Shield ready for more. This would require Cosi to change much about which skills he had invested in but Cosi was willing to do it. 

Spoiler

Fishing:  ID# 105625- CD: 7- result: 2

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105631 results:  Craft: 6 - +1 Material

Shield ran through the numbers again in his head, and he almost didn't hear Cosi's question at first, but with a slight start he came out of his thoughts. "Hmmm..." he pondered. "While you could choose to build yourself that way, there are two immediate disadvantages I can think of. For one, the skill mods for the different types of armor would be working against you. Acrobatics adds to your evasion while Stonewall removes it. If you're aiming for thorns, then that's one matter, since heavy armor has better thorns, but evasion builds don't lend themselves to thorns since the aim is not to be hit. But if you're in the right situation, there's another enhancement that you should focus on." He pulled up another drafted document and pointed to a little area with a question mark. "Savvy. It's an interesting enhancement, but until now it's been entirely unused. It stacks on extra accuracy on your next attack when an opponent misses. In most cases, it's not useful, because if an opponent is particularly hard to miss, it's usually also fairly accurate. Speed builds tend to be like that. Since the point is to stack with your accuracy, as it's not as good as raw accuracy on its own, you would be likely ditching your evasion to use it. That means you're less likely to even get the bonus from Savvy because you're now less evasive, right?"

The concept seemed counter-intuitive. Shield said as much that the effects didn't work together. He opened his mouth to continue, but a tug from his fishing rod distracted him. He reeled it in, pulling up the single serving fish before casting out again and continuing. "That is all true of a one on one fight. However, what are the most important situations to keep up your attack?" He pointed to another section of the document with a completely different breakdown of numbers. "Boss fights! So many bosses have added minions, and if you're pulling hate from all of them, then you'll have multiple attacks coming your way, sometimes up to four attacks total. Savvy only requires a miss. Any miss. That means even with an evasion of only one, you're still very unlikely to be hit by them all, and you'll have healers present to help minimize the effects of taking those extra hits. End game, with the right mods, you're turning four evasion and four accuracy into essentially one evasion and six accuracy. That means even with slight evasion on the boss, you'd still hit almost every time."

Shield had to force himself to stop and take a breath. His inner statistician was beginning to show even more than usual. He paused and went on. "Your attacks won't be nearly as devastating as a pure DPS, but you're going to be putting good, consistent damage out there. Especially if you someday switch to a power weapon like two-handed axe. You'll be making fewer attacks than other players since you have to howl to stay on top of hate, which means you won't feel the effects of the high energy cost as much as others of your level would, but you're still going to be making a lot of powerful attacks with really good odds of hitting. At higher levels, that's a fierce build."

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 57

Edited by Shield

Cosi nodded understanding that heavy armor and it’s mods would be working against the dodge part of the dodge tank build. However ever as Shield went on the information that the man had became a little overwhelming. There was so much experience and wisdom that Shield had to mete our and the dark haired man even had diagrams and documents detailing all of this information out. Cosi’s eyes widened. there was so much to know and learn. Cosi didn’t know if he could keep up. Cosi raised one of his hands. “Sorry time out Shield. Just slow down a li-“ suddenly his pole jerked in his hand and Cosi tettered on the edge of the pond. He reached back to stabilize himself then once steady he reeled in the pole which had another fish a good two feet in length. Cosi added four more slices of fish to the pile and then turned back to Shield, “sorry I just need it a little more condensed or slow. I’m not that good with stats”

Spoiler

Fishing: ID# 105640- CD: 12 LD: 5- result: 4

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105642 results: Craft: 9 - +3 Materials

Shield heard Cosi's protest and nodded. There was a lot of new information out on the table now. Shield walked his explanation back. "Right. The point is, it's a unique build that not many players have attempted before, but I think it will have a lot of potential. For now, I'd use some of the Col we're finding out here to start reworking your build a little and reinvest those points. While we're off finding your familiar you'll want to put in fresh orders for a set of evasion armor, an accuracy trinket, and a damage two-handed weapon. It might be a little bit before everything is done. Tailors can be hard to come by, as can artisans these days, but that will be your next step towards realizing your build."

As he finished his thought, Shield's pole bent as well, and he had to pull against it as he reeled his line. The fish that he pulled out of the water was considerably larger than most of what he had caught, and once on the shore, its form gave out to reveal three fresh new cuts of fish.

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 64

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Fishing: D# 105645- CD: 5- result: 1

Cosi nodded. He’d use the Col and Mats he got from this fishing trip with Shield to not only prepare for getting his familiar but to also reinvest in a two handed weapon skill, the light armor skill, and the new set of equipment he would need. This was so exciting. He had found a niche to be in. He had found a mentor or advisor in Shield and he had been slowly climbing the ranks. Gaining levels and finding a build that seemed very interesting. Cosi grinned his signature lopsided grin. Then quickly reeled in another small fish and added another single slice of sashimi to the ever growing pile. “That I will do. Thank you for the advice, and for the new direction you have turned me to. Now I guess the next question is merchant related. How did you gain experience and rank up? Did you simply identify any items you fought on your travels? Or did you mostly sell items from general stock?” Cosi cast out his line again hoping this time to possibly hook another treasure chest and he waited to hear Shield’s answer. 

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105647 results: Craft: 8 - +2 Materials

Shield's line snagged and there was a firm pull against him. Reeling back against the pull, he drew his newest catch slowly back towards shore. He pondered exactly how to answer. "That... is a matter that I will keep to myself," Shield said with a knowing smile. "Having more tanks is always useful. However, having more experienced merchants around is bad for business. I have my plans, and they need backing. I didn't get to be number one by helping my competition." He was not hostile, nor did he sound threatened. This was the polite demeanor of a man who knew his trade and had no shame in securing his success. "I hope that doesn't sour things at all, but if you have any matters regarding tanking, I'm still glad to help you out." There was a cool calculation behind the glance that he gave Cosi. He couldn't just hand over the keys to the kingdom.

'There are enough merchants out there trying to achieve what I have. If I'm going to corner the market on uniques, then this is the way it's going to be.'

He turned back to his tackle and cast out his line again.

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 67

Edited by Shield

"Fair enough" Cosi didn't seem disappointed or put out. Shield was a max rank merchant. He would want to keep the market that way so he could get all the patrons and not worry too much about competition. The thing was Cosi didn't really care too much about profit or competition. The originally reason he become a merchant was so that whenever he found unidentified items on his travels he would be able to identify them himself and not worry about more expenses. Cosi decided to ask again but to add this information to the question. "I wouldn't say I would be competition. I'm mainly a merchant for personal reasons i.e. so I can identify my own items and gear without having to go to others and pay more costs." After having said that Cosi shrugged his shoulders and went back to fishing. Alas it seemed like the fish were finally getting smart and were leaving the hooks alone because Cosi wasn't getting any bites. 

Fishing: ID# 105660- CD: 3- result: nothing

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105661 results: Craft: 9 - +3 Materials

Shield understood the sentiment. It made sense. Not every person with a trade marketed their skills for others. Still, all it would take was a change of heart down the road and his position would be in danger. He let his silence serve as his answer. Throwing out his line once again, he began the process of reeling and casting, trying different spots on the lake to find his next catch. Although he was hoping for the snag of a chest, he soon felt the pull of an animated catch. He reeled in, fighting against the actually considerable strength of the virtual fish.

Once again, pulling his catch onto land, it flapped around helplessly for a minute before seizing up and falling still, melting away into three clean cuts of fish. He tapped them to summon the item menu and selected the option to collect them into his inventory with the rest of their loot.

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 70

Edited by Shield

Fishing: ID# 105662- CD: 6- result: 1

When Shield remained silent Cosi took that as him just keeping his hand close to his chest which was fine by Cosi. Cosi simply reeled in his line and cast it again, hoping for a bite this time. Thankfully he did but it was a very small fish and only added one slice of fish meat to the massive pile. Cosi cast his line out again and then began to wait. There was a fairly long pause where no one said anything. Shield and Cosi just sat there and fished. It wasn't an awkward silence but as it continued then it started to become so. So Cosi decided to break the silence, "So just as a recap for everything we've discussed: I need to order a trinket for LD, and the song for finding my familiar. Then once I do that I'm going to have to refund my skills for a two handed and light armor, and go buy a new set of equipment for my dodge- tank build." 

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing:  ID# 105667 results: Craft: 4 - Nothing

Shield gave a slow nod to the question. He wasn't bothered by the silence. In the real world, actual fishing trips required a certain degree of silence to not scare away the fish. In Aincrad, however, this did not seem to be an issue. "Yes," he said, trying to trace the conversation in his mind. "And there's also the matter of the Expertise trinket to give yourself an extra little boost to your searching skill. Actually..." Shield opened his inventory and searched through his old equipment, locating a particular item. "I have one here. And I don't have a problem with lending it out for the quest. As long as I get it back, it'll be one less thing you have to search for."

His line was left untouched by the inhabitants of the pond, which was fine. The cuts of fish were nice and could be resold to players at a decent price even if he didn't have immediate use for them. Still, the longer they stayed, the more chests they would find, which meant all the more equipment. That was his real concern.

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 71

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

Fishing: ID# 105696- CD: 12, LD: 7- result: 4 

"Thanks Shield!" Cosi catches the small trinket with one hand and stows it in his inventory, "I'll make sure to get it back to you once I get my familiar. Which actually shouldn't be too hard since you'll be accompanying me on the quest." Cosi thinks of any other questions he can ask Shield, especially one's not related to merchants, but the blonde has run out of specific questions he needs answered. Cosi finally thinks of one. “Hey Shield, Are there any jungle floors in Aincrad?” Cosi goes back to fishing as he waits for the tank’s answer. Cosi suddenly feels several sharp tugs on his line and Cosi pulls back in his rod to keep it from jumping out of his grasp. Cosi reels in the line and sees a very large fish hooked on the end. A very large fish that adds four more materials to Shield and Cosi’s ever expanding pile. 

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105789 results: Craft: 3 - Nothing

Shield rolled his eyes to the cavernous ceiling as he tried to recall specifics of Aincrad. "While many floors contain forests, the only one that is strictly jungle from my memory is floor six. There are a number of very valuable quests that you can come across there as well. Just... don't trust anyone you meet there if they don't show their face," he added, remembering when he was ambushed by his own doppelganger on that very floor. He continued to throw his line out into the water, but it yielded no results for the moment. "Why do you ask? That seems like an odd sort of thing to look for. Trying to find a place for a shop or a home?"

Everyone had their own environment preferences. He just wouldn't have picked out 'jungle' for the easiest place to make a home or a business. Then again, a lack of ease of access may be part of the point.

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 75

Edited by Shield

Fishing: ID# 105883- CD: 9- Result: 3 

"Floor Six? Thanks. And I'm not looking for a home. I already have a nice one on the fourth floor. I love the snow. No, I think I've got a good idea for waht I want my familiar to be and it will most likely be in a jungle environment." Cosi cast out his fishing line and sat back, relaxed and calm. This trip had been extremely helpful and peaceful. Cosi was looking forward to when Shield and he could head out to go find his familiar. And then Cosi could shift his build. He would need a lot of materials and Col for that but with this fishing trip Cosi should be good. Cosi grinned, then scrambled to reel in his line as something started thrashing about in the water and pulling on it. Cosi reeled it in and found quite a large fish on the hook which promptly turned into a three slices of fish meat.  

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Fishing: ID# 105892 results: Craft: 8 - +2 Materials

Shield gave a pause and then a brief nod of understanding. He hadn't expected that his advice to pursue a jungle on floor six to be advice that would impact himself. There were some memories that he was not particularly eager to revisit on that floor, but as long as they were properly geared, hopefully it would not be a long visit. Though he had once calmed his soul there, or so the name of the quest would claim at least, it required walking through some rather tumultuous memories.

His thoughts were interrupted by a tug at his pole. By now, the feeling was so familiar from his many hours spent in this very spot that he did not even need to think to react. His arms instinctively took strong positions an his hand put tension on the reel, making sure to properly set the hook with a swift tug before properly reeling in. As the fish fought to one side, he would tug the other way, not giving it a chance to create distance. Soon, a fresh fish flopped its way onto the shore and thrashed about helplessly before falling still and relinquishing its cooking materials which Shield then gathered.

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 79

Edited by Shield
  • 2 weeks later...

Fishing: ID# 106348-  CD: 9- result: 3

Cosi was jostled awake from his nap by a tug on his fishing pole. The blonde blinked the sleep from his eyes as he tugged on the pole, and began to reel in his catch. The aspiring tank reeled in a good sized fish. He pulled the fish in and it dissolved into materials. Three to be exact, which Cosi tossed into the honestly fairly massive pile of materials Shield and Cosi had accumulated between the two of them. Cosi cast out his rod again and then turned to his companion, "Sorry I must have dozed off. Sorry about that, Shield." Cosi looked back to the underground lake then back to Shield, "Not wanting to rush, but how much longer do you think we'll stay here? I love the fishing and the advice has been extremely helpful. Like very helpful, but I feel like we've done all we can. Now I just need to go buy my trinkets and whatnot to prepare for finding my familiar." 

@Shield

Edited by Cosi

Searching for Chest: ID# 106449 results: Loot: 5+12=17 - Chest Found!

Shield shrugged, taking a cursory glance around the cavern. "I don't have anything particularly pressing that I needed to do," he answered, pulling in his line and packing up both his pole and tackle, tapping them and summoning the item menus to store them away in his inventory. He pushed himself up to his feet and gave his arms and shoulders a solid stretch before motioning towards the entrance with his head.

He turned and made for the passage that had led them into the cavern in the first place, but as he did so, his earring burst into dim light. He took a step forward and it grew even brighter. He followed the light like a game of hot and cold, eventually ending up by the entrance itself. He stood in front of a blank wall, debris and gravel littering the floor. He tested the wall a few times until finally he was forced to conclude that it was solid. "Maybe it's on the other side of this wall, only accessible from the outside or..." He glanced down. Whatever gravel he stood on covered the whole of the floor. He knelt down and began scooping big handfuls of the stuff away, then more and more, never quite hitting bottom. That is until he scraped away another layer to reveal a dusty plank. "Cossi! Give me a hand! There's a chest buried here!"

Loot Totals:

T3 Materials: 82

Edited by Shield