[PP-F1] «The Second Lesson, Is Also Free»

He sat up with a grunt and watched Enryu in battle, crossing his legs while sitting and crossing his arms across his chest. He analyzed how different Enryu's combat was compared to his. Taking in how their battle styles can complement each other in certain situations, mainly when groups of enemies arise. He watched closely, making sure Enryu wasn't in any danger, because if even the slightest thing starts to go wrong, he wanted to be ready to help. A good mentality to have, even though this was an easy task to fulfill compared to the grand scheme of things. Also, the two newbies had a veteran player in their party, thank god.

"Man.. I hope he doesn't have to scrounge around as much as I had to for that quest from Zackarias.. that took forever. *ahem* Keep it up, Enryu!! You've got it!!"

After speaking lightly to himself, he shouted words of confidence to Enryu. Hoping to give him a slight boost in his fighting spirit.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He seems to be in a world all of his own as he ducks and weaves past those first couple of boars that charge him. A swift pivot on the back of his foot twirls him just out of harms way, and in that moment, he feels on top of the world. A smile, but it's soon to fade as dip in the grass leaves his footing off balanced. He can feel his weight shifting, so he tries to catch himself, but -- BAM! A charging boar pup leaves him falling right on his rear. He winced, despite not actually feeling a thing. It was more instinctive than anything else.

"Gah .."

He rubs his head and watches as his HP bar begins to drop. It's just a sliver, but enough to strike fear in his heart. He starts to sweat, that feeling of fear is enough to push himself back up to his feet. As Freyd and Charrlarr watch from the sidelines, he knew exactly what needed to be done. He glances about, switching from target to target until one of them decides that they would wait no longer. A charging boar comes at him with the same ferocity as a raging bull, unknowing of what his fate would become.

His sword adopts a venomous glow, sucking in natural energy to appear just as green as the grass they stood upon.

He waits until it's an opportune moment for him to strike, and then he goes.. "Tch!"
but whether it be nerves, or those dexterous legs on a tiny creature, his blow would not connect. It passes right above the boar pup's head. The realization quickly sets in. "Shit.."

Spoiler

[0/0/0/0] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290  | EN:141/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64
[0/0/0/0] Charrlarr | HP:80/80 | EN:8/8 | DMG: 4 | MIT 9 | Thorns: 9
[1/1/0/0] Enryu | | HP:73/80 | EN:1/8 (-2) | DMG: 2 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1

ID #  171702 | BD: 2 +1 = 3 (MISS!)

Enryu activates «Snake Bite» and misses Boar Pup #1!

Boar Pup #1 | HP: 5/5 | DMG 3
Boar Pup #2 | HP: 1/5 | DMG 3
Boar Pup #3 | HP: 5/5 | DMG 3
Boar Pup #4 | HP: 5/5 | DMG 3

Edited by Enryu

Freyd continued to watch quietly.  Enryu's nerves were fraying, but it wasn't unusual for new combatants to experience such feelings.  It was important to feel vulnerable, and build the confidence to push beyond it.

"This fight can be a slog.  By taking on four enemies without an AoE attack, you've opened yourself to a pummeling.  Breathe.  Take your time and be patient.  And listen to me next time I tell you not to pick off more than you can chew."  He grinned a bit at that last part.  If Enryu needed to learn the hard way, he was more than ready to let him.  "Say the word and I'll think the herd back down to a more manageable number, but this is a good object lesson."

Leaning in towards Charrlarr, but keeping his gaze upon the melee, he asked: "What do you think he should do?  Fight on alone, or ask for help?"

Freyd switches Samael's Pride for Grave Injustice.

Spoiler

[0/0/0/0] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290  | EN:141/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64
[0/0/0/0] Charrlarr | HP:80/80 | EN:8/8 | DMG: 4 | MIT 9 | Thorns: 9
[1/1/0/0] Enryu | | HP:67/80 | EN:1/8 (-2) | DMG: 2 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1

ID #172028 | MD: 4 - 1 = 3 (miss).  Boar Pup #1 misses Enryu.
ID #172029 | MD: 2 - 1 = 1 (miss).  Boar Pup #2 misses Enryu.
ID #172030 | MD: 7 - 1 = 6 (hit).  Boar Pup #3 deals 3 damage to Enryu.
ID #172031 | MD: 7 - 1 = 6 (hit).  Boar Pup #4 deals 3 damage to Enryu.

Boar Pup #2 | HP: 1/5 | DMG 3

He watched Enryu in combat, silently cheering him on until Freyd leaned over to speak to him, he listened to his thought-provoking question and lifted his hand to his chin, sighing. He tried to think of the best course of action. Since this was truly just a learning experience, he took a couple of seconds to think, then turned to Freyd and spoke softly.

"I think that he should continue alone. F-For now, anyway. He and I both need to learn how to handle things on our own, or at least try. Because we might fall into situations where we're alone, and sometimes nothing can help that. We might not always be prepared for a situation. But we also need to gain the courage to give in and ask for help when we really need it, that's part of havin' a good head on your shoulders. At least I think so, personally. What do you think?"

He shifted his hand to his chest and crossed his arms, looking back and forth between Enryu and Freyd, but mostly watching Enryu. Listening to the boars whine loudly close in front of them as they confronted Enryu. 

Edited by Charrlarr

His eyes are moving at a million miles a minute, watching these boar pups surround him as if they were sharks, and he - a tuna, lost in the deep, dark sea, but he's ready to show his fangs. He's almost completely out of energy, but one of these boars are about to drop. He just needs one good hit, so he waits for an opening.

It was almost like they were toying with him, shuffling in place, snorting like they had no intentions to strike at all, but that theory is quickly put to rest as the first of them makes a move. It's tiny little legs carry that creature in a locomotive sprint for Enryu's blade, a defense he holds so that he can push back against that hairy beast, right up to the tusk, and knock it off course. "One," he whispers to himself, but before he could recover, the second is already on his way. He tilts his blade so that it can angle downwards, right into the spine of the beast, but the two of them collide! BAM! A forceful blow to the gut that knocks the young adventurer right on his rear! Thump!

"Gah-"

No time to rest.

He turns on his back, and presses a hand into the ground, quickly clambering back up to his feet as the final two make their advance. Luckily, he's agile enough to leap out of harms way.

Spoiler

[0/0/0] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290  | EN:141/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64
[0/0/0] Charrlarr | HP:80/80 | EN:8/8 | DMG: 4 | MIT 9 | Thorns: 9
[1/0/0] Enryu | | HP:67/80 | EN:1/8 | DMG: 2 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1

Rolls 172023, 172024, 172025 and 172026 void. Boars were supposed to act on Freyd's turn (post #23)

ID #  172022 | BD: 5 +1 = 6

Enryu strikes Boar Pup #2, dealing 2 DMG!

ID # 172027 | LD: 16 (Loot found! 1/3)

Boar Pup #2 | HP: 0/5 (-2) | DMG 3

Edited by Enryu

Freyd darted forward, slashing and stabbing at the poor and completely overwhelmed boars.  His gleaming black blade struck with unerring precision, decimating them in an instant.  The unfortunate critters literally exploded into tiny puffs of crystalline shards that sprayed in a burst around them, then vanished before they could hit the ground.  

"Take a break and recover your energy," he said to Enryu.  "This will take forever without a sword art behind your attacks.  It's time to even the odds a bit." Fishing into his inventory, once the mobs were all gone, he summoned a small vial containing what looked like liquid light and a small snack container that looked to contain a series of tasty cotton-candy like trears.  "Time for you both to learn the value of consumables."  Indicating a nearby rock, he waited for Enryu to catch his breath before offering him the food.  "It's not as easy as it seems, is it? Took me forever to find the damned tusks when I did it."

Spoiler

[0/0/0] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290  | EN:141/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:5 | Abs.Acc | KEEN:2 | LD:4 | BH:64
[0/0/0] Charrlarr | HP:80/80 | EN:8/8 | DMG: 4 | MIT 9 | Thorns: 9
[1/0/0] Enryu | | HP:67/80 (-4) | EN:1/8 | DMG: 2 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1

ID #172032 | BD: 7 +5=12 (hit).  Freyd deals 19 damage to Boar Pup #1.
ID #172033 | BD: 9 (crit +1).  Freyd deals 20 damage to Boar Pup #3.
ID #172034 | BD: 2 +5 = 7 (hit).  Freyd deals 19 damage to Boar Pup #4.

Boar Pup #1 | HP: 0/5 | DMG 3
Boar Pup #3 | HP: 0/5 | DMG 3
Boar Pup #4 | HP: 0/5 | DMG 3

A hand raises to shield himself from that explosive flash of speed, like a hero arriving to the scene of a small boy just before a monster devours him. Enryu, the small boy, stares up at Freyd as if this were the first time he had ever looked up at a starry night; a feeling of pure awe, and amazement. The way he had just appeared was like nothing he had ever seen before, and quite frankly, he was in shock, but through that feeling of fear, and awe, he finds the strength to smile.

The boars are all slain in a single blow, dematerialized into fragmented data.

He walks over to the rock, just as Freyd instructed, and takes a seat to catch his breath, all while keeping his eyes on that basket full of treats. "I don't understand," says the boy. "I'm honestly not that hungry, but I guess I wouldn't mind taking a break."

Edited by Enryu

Freyd hands the two items to Enryu.  "The vial will boost your damage for the rest of the quest, whereas the treats will improve your accuracy and help save you time.  We all still need to eat in sleep in the game, but you can basically stuff your face with as many consumables as you want and gain their benefits.  The only catch is that you can't stack effects.  Drinking two +1 damage potions won't give you a +2 bonus, etc.  It's part of the system balancing. Having enough Col to afford this stuff can be a bit tough when you're first starting out. I suggest that each of you learn a profession.  Doing so helps you produce your own goods, and gives you something to trade with other players."

"I'm a merchant, for example.  My store is up on floor 13, and sells a variety of goods, but the real benefit of merchants is in appraising the unidentified treasures that you will find throughout your adventures.  Only merchants can reveal the most potent and unique item properties, though the costs add up."

Freyd gives Enryu:

Liquor of Light (DMG 3) [168134-1]

Cotton Candy Puffs (ACC 2) [169223]

He takes the consumables, one after another. A bottle of liquor, and a few bite-sized cotton candy puffs that all fit into this hand-woven basket. The snacks are munched on while this wounded warrior rests upon this rock, getting his energy back. It's the perfect snack for this lecture. A few nods of the head confirms that he's retaining this information, just like a good little school boy, and before long, everything is gone. He's consumed it, and with that, he's grown stronger - noticeably so. He can't exactly feel it as first - "I don't feel any different," but not all changes are physical.

"But, I'll take your word for it. You seem like an honest guy," Enryu says, "I've been thinking of picking up a job myself, though, I'm not too sure what fits my style. You're a merchant - maybe you could give me some insight."

All the meanwhile, he's regaining a bit of health, and energy.

"I was thinking of becoming a blacksmith, in all honesty."

Liquor of Light consumed! (+3 DMG)

Cotton Candy Puffs consumed! (+2 ACC)

Enryu | HP:80/80 | EN:8/8 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1

Edited by Enryu

He watched the two from where he was sitting, seeing as Freyd had the situation handled, he stayed quiet for a while, just listening in on the wise words Freyd was giving to Enryu.
He admired the wisdom Freyd was always able to offer to himself and Enryu, and also Enryu's determination and skill in battle. While it wasn't perfect, he tried his best in combat and used a lot of skillful tactics, especially compared to Charles, who obviously had no clue what he was doing. But RNG's a strange mistress, and we all have to play her little game.
 He stood up and waved at the two from the small distance that separated them.

"Good job, Enryu! You looked so cool out there, man!!"

He jogged over with a smile, sheathing his axe over his shoulder. He stopped a few feet in front of them and crossed his arms, scoffing.

"Man, these fetch quests sure do stink. I mean, I got all the tusks I needed in one fell swoop, but you still need a couple more after all that! RNG sucks. I mean, you looked way more experienced out there than I did. That's crazy, honestly.."

"The RNG isn't year friend... ever, really... but especially early on," he replied to Charrlarr.  "Learn to stack the odds in your favour as best you can, obtaining gear, using consumables and finding people you trust to help you adventure."  He smiled wistfully as he spoke the words, remembering all the souls he had encountered on his own short journey.

"As far as becoming a blacksmith goes," he added, responding to Enryu's query, "I'm really not the best person to ask.  The merchant trade is rather different from most of the other professions.  But, I am a member of Firm Anima, a crafting guild.  Gaius is our resident blacksmith, though I have never met him personally.  He's said to be quite the craftsman, and a bit of an acquired taste.  Consider approaching him or other members of the guild for advice.  I'm sure that they would gladly assist you.  The guild includes many fledgling members, such as yourselves, and could offer many of the benefits I noted above.  There may well be others.  I've had limited interactions with the many varied groups and factions in the game."

Vanity Tag: @Gaius

Enryu nods his head, and readies himself. It seems he's fully recovered his energy from that momentary rest on a stone, now coming to a stand with a blade in hand. "I understand," says the young adventurer. "I'm sure I'll figure it out in time, though, for right now, I must set my focus on the task at hand."

A single step brings him that much closer with a wandering party of boars as they meander around without a care in the world. A slowly risen blade reflects this artificial sunlight, and casts it down upon those unsuspecting boars as a beacon of light; a simple gesture, but one that shows just who he had in mind. Without a second to waste, Enryu leaps down that hill he stood upon, descending with a battle cry that shook his bones. His sword adopts a vibrant crimson hue, and swings at the first boar -- MISS!

A quick recovery sends him on course with the second boar, effortlessly ending its life with a single swing. He continues this until only a single boar remains, whereas he now stands face to face with it, awaiting retaliation. "Tch."

Spoiler

[0/0/0] Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1290/1290  | EN:141/141 | DMG:19 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:4 | BH:64
[0/0/0] Enryu | HP:80/80 | EN:2/8 (-6) | DMG: 5 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1

ID # 173750 | BD: 2 +3 = 5 (MISS!)
ID # 173751 | BD: 7 +3 = 10
ID # 173752 | BD: 4 +3 = 7

Enryu activates «Rage Spike» and strikes Boar Pup #1, and misses!
Enryu keeps on going, dealing 10 DMG to Boar Pup #2!
Enryu keeps on going, dealing 10 DMG to Boar Pup #3!

Boar Pup #2 | HP: 5/5 | DMG 3

No loot found! ID # 173753 | LD: 7
No loot found! ID # 173754 | LD: 8

Edited by Enryu

He quietly listened to the two adventurers conversate with each other with a small smile. Something about these little moments together with others had a certain charm to it, a charm that slowly was lost to him in the real world before all this. Everything here was new to him, but even the small things like advice and small talk in this new world felt completely different and refreshing. He really enjoyed that. He plopped down on the ground once again, crossing his legs while pulling his axe out to play a soft tune with a small sigh escaping his lips. Watching Enryu from afar, he continued to view his fight with those boar pups attentively. After he saw Enryu take down two boar pups in one attack, he took one hand off of his instrument and shouted over.

"Aw hell yeah! Nice hit, Enryu!"

He laid back a bit and continued to play softly, enjoying the breeze and fresh smell in the air.

Spoiler

asonu_uke_18812-3.thumb.jpg.cf290f80170bee08998e77f8dc077c99.jpg

Edited by Charrlarr

"Keep it up, man.  Grinding is just part of the game.  You'll learn to love and hate it all at the same time."  Freyd's mind wandered to a recent escapade against a horde of angry doppelgangers, a hundred all told.  It had been one hell of a grind, and nearly shattered his sanity in the process.  He flashed Enryu a quick double thumb's up, knowing full well that the existential terror of the grind would not fully sink in until well after this thread.

"If it starts dragging on, we can get you an LD consumable to help improve your odds, but developing some patience with the RNG is an unavoidable part of the system.  Make friends.  Get gear.  Stack the odds in your favour with consumables.  When you both finish the Earning A Living quest, and pick up your professions, come see me at my shop.  I'll hook you both up with some mats to help you get started with your crafting careers.  That will go a long way to getting you what you'll need."

A bead of sweat, followed by a haunting sense of dread. The boar readied for it's assault, kicking up dirt as it progressively gained more and more traction. It charged, almost as if it were a locomotive, and Enryu - the unfortunate soul who stood in it's way, is barely able to duck, and roll to safety. "Hn!"

As he moves, so does his sword, catching the bare side of that boar as it whizzes past. His strike cuts deep, despite the speed. His accuracy was unmatched, and the finesse he held - it was all thanks to those consumables that Freyd spoke so highly about. He lands on his knees, but the boar falls nonetheless, granting Enryu the opportunity to roll for loot. It's an automatic system, and once that pop-up is prompted, a look of disappointment is soon to follow.

Nothing.

It wouldn't be long before he turns back to the two with defeat in his eyes, suggesting, "Maybe it would be better if I did this quest another time. I don't want to hold the two of you up any longer."

Spoiler

[0/0/0] Enryu | HP:80/80 | EN:2/8  | DMG: 5 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1

ID # 175228 | MD: 1 -1 = 0

Boar Pup #1 attempts to strike Enryu, but misses!

ID # 174193 | BD: 5 +3 = 8

Enryu strikes Boar Pup #1, dealing 5 DMG!

Boar Pup #1 | HP: 0/5 (-5) | DMG 3
Boar Pup #2 | HP: 0/5 | DMG 3
Boar Pup #3 | HP: 0/5 | DMG 3

No loot found! ID # 174194 | LD: 8

Edited by Enryu
  • 2 weeks later...

He looked up at Enryu from where he sat, lowering his instrument as he stopped playing it. He smiled and waved his hand dismissively, shaking his head. He didn't mind at all, he enjoyed just relaxing. Plus it was a good time to analyze how Enryu's class worked, since it was so different from his own.

"Hey, it's all good dude! We've got all the time in the world. Well, at least I do. You can do it, you're already doing a superb job. RNG's just not in your favor, annoyingly enough. It'll work out soon enough. If you're up to keep going, we can chill out and wait. I'm taking the time to relax and practice a bit.

He sighed and looked down at his instrument that doubled as an axe, a fun feature in this game, the vanity mechanics were super nice. It wasn't perfect to what he had back at home, but it was still a great reminder of the real world nonetheless.

"It's not much, but.. it reminds me of home. So any chance I get to relax and play, I do. Even though its like, the only thing I've done since this whole shitshow started.."

"We're already here,"  Freyd replied to Enryu, "and I just gave you two good consumables, so you're sticking around no matter what.  I'm sticking around to get a return on my investment!"  His voice was gruff, but clearly meant to be encouraging.  "Take your time with it.  Besides, we have Charrlarr here to entertain us with tunes until you get what you need.  These first few quests are just a pain to get through when the items don't proc right away."  He waved absently at some more boars who had foolishly wandered near in search of... whatever it was they were supposed to be looking for.  Truffles maybe?  It probably didn't matter.  They were purely newbie fodder and everyone eventually had a boar pup story to tell.  Enryu and Charrlarr would level up like everyone else and eventually have their own tales.

"What the heck is that thing, Charlie?  Some kind of wonky guitar?"

@Enryu

Enryu lets out a sigh, moreso of frustration starting to get to his head, but Freyd's soothing words put his mind at ease. Another group of boars approach, though, this time with a fire in their eyes. They saw Enryu as a threat - somebody killing off their kind, and one they ventured just a bit too close, the game's automatic aggro system was activated. Their eyes reveal a faint glint of red, and only a moment after, they begin their charge!..

But Enryu is the first to strike!

As the three of them close the gap, his sword swings for the hills, cleaving through air, but never once making contact. It passes right above the first boar's head, and the two of them refuse to clash. A duck and a roll brings his escape to safety, but he's not out of the clear yet. He can see it now - the three of them readying for retaliation. He braces for impact, holding a sword to about chest level; double-gripped, waiting for the worst. "Damn."

@Charrlarr

Spoiler

[0/0/0] Enryu | HP:80/80 | EN:2/8  | DMG: 5 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1

ID # 176726 | BD: 1 +3 = 4 (MISS!)

Enryu attempts to strike Boar Pup #1, but misses!

Boar Pup #1 | HP: 5/5 | DMG 3
Boar Pup #2 | HP: 5/5 | DMG 3

Edited by Enryu

He looked up at Freyd from where he was sitting in the soft, green grass, a twinkle in his eye. He was happy to even hear the question. Ukuleles were his pride and joy back home, for various reasons. He lifted it up and held it in front of himself, gazing at the craftsmanship the game so perfectly replicated. He sighed and began to explain what this strange instrument was.

"Well.. it's a ukulele! A bit bigger than this kind normally come.. since it had to fit the size of a two-handed axe. The game had an option for a detailed vanity skin with musical instrument mechanics, so I picked my favorite instrument out of all I own back home in real life. I have.. erm, a-a lot of them IRL, but that's a different story for a different time. Ya see, this here is the national instrument of the island Tahiti in French Polynesia. It's a variant of the ukulele that has a sound hole on the back, is made from multiple types of gorgeous and resonant wood, and, it's most unique feature, it has eight strings made from fishing line! The thin gauge of string allows for the strings to be tuned to an octave above a normal ukulele's tuning. So, if you look here you can see.."

He realized he was babbling on and on, so he cleared his throat and laughed a bit, setting the instrument on the grass softly, face up. He flapped his hand dismissively and looked to the side, shaking his head. He knew he got ahead of himself, but who can blame him. He loved everything about music and musical instruments, especially ukuleles.

"S-Sorry, I haven't had the chance to talk about this kinda stuff in a long, long time.." 

Freyd smiled as he listened to Charrlarr rambling about his instrument.  "That sort of passion is rare, and potent when harnessed and channeled properly.  Never be ashamed of it, and please, tell me more while you play something motivational for our friend here."  He gestured towards Enryu, sympathizing with the man.  The system could be cruel, especially at low levels.

"These early quests can be among the most frustrating you will ever do.  I speak from experience here.  Mathematically, the odds aren't really sympathetic.  Find consumables, buy them from shops, or learn to make them yourselves.  All are options.  I can promise you this: it get easier from here on."  He opened up his inventory but found nothing useful in the tier 1 range.  Much of that stuff was long gone by now.

He clapped his hands together to help get them back on track.  

"Have at them again, Enryu!  Show that bacon who's boss, and then we can go grab some lunch.  My treat."