[F22-OP] Down The Rabbit Hole

Companionship? In such chaos? NIGHT could hardly believe it. She matched Alkor's speed as they honed in towards the edge of the falls; her eyes scanned the vicinity, trying to remember which route they'd taken to reach their destination.

"Hard to say," the player admitted. After all, they'd technically been acquaintances for over a year by now; if only Koga hadn't gone missing for at least three quarters of it. "In the Town of Beginnings, I guess. When I was first starting out. One could say we go way back." But NIGHT shook her head at the thought. "He vanished after a bit. Same thing happened with a group of adventurers we'd become familiar with at the time. Didn't see much of anyone afterwards."

"He's lucky to still be alive after all this time."

(So that was why she needed to be there, at the bottom of the pit if he'd tossed himself in.)

Down a tunnel with a lowered ceiling, almost as though someone had forcefully dug an entrance through one of the cavern walls towards a location that shouldn't have been accessible at all. What was once imagined to be an empty and rock-filled clearing was now littered with dimmed crystals, rubble, broken shards, equipment and some puddles of water. The light from above illuminated the circle, water from above pouring down endlessly only to dissipate partway through its fall -- though, the sight was miraculous and definitely impossible in reality. A shower of droplets still managed to find its way to grace their skin, however, greeting the hurried players with a spray of sparkles and sunlight.

By the floor of the forgotten wasteland, there were the fading remnants of the shield that Koga had dropped. A slow trickle, nothing fast; NIGHT signaled over to Alkor to follow as she rushed over, catching the last bits of the item in its examination.

Its durability had dropped to zero. The item then burst into fragments before she could retrieve it for further repairs. She winced at its sudden surprise, retrieving her index from the window that Cardinal so abruptly snatched away.

"--Yikes."

The player sucked in a breath as she rose, looking towards her companion. "Looks like the answer is no. They'd better not..."

As her voice trailed off, she sent the sailing duo a quick reply.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Huh...actually, hadn't thought of that," Koga replied as Starla brought up the possibility that equipment wasn't effected by featherfall. If that were the case, that posed quite a few problems when it came to his completely 100% scientific experiment. Namely the fact he may turn into a Koga shaped pancake. Yeah, that would really ruin his hypothesis.

Koga peered over the edge of the boat, down into the abyss. You know what they say about staring into abysses? Stare into one and it'll stare back? That's a lot like what it felt like for Koga in this moment. As he stared into the gaping maw that reached all the way down to the 21st Floor. His mind latched onto that sensation one had when they were falling. Their stomach leaping into their throat, and their heart to their stomach. And then what it might feel like to splatter across the ground. Koga wagered it didn't feel like much. In fact, nothing at all. A death like that was far too swift.

Ding!

"Ah!" The sound of a message notification startled Koga and he suddenly became unbalanced. The boat began to rock back and forth wildly, and the man tried to steady it, but only succeeded in making it worse.

And then Koga went over the edge, and down into the Everfall.

"Oh shiiiiiit!"

Starla looked over the edge as she saw the shield fall out of her view. She hoped it would be safe, but the shield was falling very fast. She doubted that the shield would make it and she remained convinced that the featherfall effect was probably only for people and not objects. Little did she know... Her hypothesis was about to be tested. Koga got a message and she assumed they had said that the shield broke, but before Koga could tell her anything, he started losing his balance.

Starla clutched the side of the boat as if her life depended on it. The boat shook and shook and shook and she closed her eyes so tight. Are you serious?! I'm going to die on a f****** boat?! NOT EVEN TO A BOSS?! Starla felt the rocking sensation lull after a moment and she opened her eyes and looked up, expecting to see Koga. However... He was nowhere to be seen. She leaned over the edge of the boat and saw him falling!! Starla started losing it. She screamed out for him. "KOGAAAAAA!" She hoped maybe NIGHT and Alkor might hear her as he leapt over the edge. It would be... Highly unfortunate for her to lose a comrade after this short time. She felt as though she might've been a bad luck charm in these kinds of situations, but she hoped that her feeling was wrong.

And... Before Starla knew it, the edge which she was leaning over was gone. A single rock of the boat and she was free flying. Starla screamed as she fell down, dearly hoping that featherfalling would affect her. "KOGA I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!!!" Starla focused on the fact that Alkor and NIGHT would save her. Surely, they would. They wouldn't let her die, right? RIGHT?!

Edited by Starla

"Jesus CHRIST." Alkor generally did his best not to spout pointless curse words because there really was never a reason, but when he heard the voices of the other two Players amplified by their fall, his head swiveled and his mouth shot off on instinct. There was nothing that could really be said except for how bad of an idea this was, and he'd already said it. Now, Starla and Koga were freefalling through the floor above and there was preciously little time to act. If they didn't get there in time...

Alkor didn't even think about it. He shot forward as fast as he could move, pushing the limitations of his character avatar to their very limits. There was no pain, but he felt the exhaustion that such actions would normally inflict. He disregarded those as he flung himself forward. If he could save either one of them, it would be something. He had hope that NIGHT would pick up on the unspoken obvious, but he couldn't think about that now. He couldn't even call back over his shoulder. He was already halfway to where he wanted to be.

They were there, moving fast like two meteorites that had broken atmosphere. All it took was the impact, and they would scatter in an instant. That couldn't happen. He wouldn't allow it to happen.

No more people were going to die in front of him. 

Alkor pumped his legs to the breaking point as he raced to the drop zone, arms outstretched. Koga was there first, almost out of reach. He was about to smack the ground. He was about to-

With a heave of effort and a loud grunt, Alkor sailed off his feet and sprang through the air. He tackled Koga only a meter off the ground, abating his downward momentum. There was a crunch and a loud pop, but no pain as Alkor and Koga rolled to the ground, both men falling apart once the movement died. Alkor pulled himself up to his knees, breathing heavily as he gasped to fill his lungs again. He couldn't believe that he'd forced himself to do that, or that his body had cooperated. The only thing that he could think was

"What the FUCK, dude?"

NIGHT didn't even have time to remain vigil over her inbox. Once her comrade muttered something under his breath, the woman whipped around, before realizing that he was moving, faster than she could catch up. In her glance of his passing, the man had been staring up at the sky.

When she searched for falling meteors, her worst fears had come true about their clumsy associates. Against the rush of water, there came a flash of black and white.

Alkor had been faster on the draw -- his dive was towards the screaming swordsman. Which means in the split second she'd taken to realize it, her feet took off running towards the newbie instead.

Hadn't she told Koga to have watched out for her?

Clenched teeth. Blistering heat. Her heart was thundering in her throat, and the sting of sharp, cool wind ate against what was exposed of her skin. Starla had a pair of lungs on her, the woman observed, from the curses for the other sailor's timely death. NIGHT wished she'd practiced for this before; the leaps and bounds of extreme distance and height. But she adapted, putting faith into Cardinal's systems. With precision and focus, her body twisted, reaching out to grab the shooting star, two arms carefully wrapped under her body.

(It was exactly the way that her doppel had done it for her. On instinct, she cradled the other figure close.)

Now she was safe. Now the knight had little to fear. Only in the moment of relief was the woman capable of glancing back to the fresh face, eyes betraying her heart full of concern. Her tone was grating, flickering lightly with anger. "Didn't I tell you to be careful?"

A beat later, her stern gaze darted to the arena floor. In a whisper, she could only add the following, breath shaky with her mind in a panic:

"--Don't ever do that again."

NIGHT would remember little after that.

She landed like a cat, two feet set on the ground in a kneel. Fall damage was controlled if her leaps had been intentional, and with the player's rate of recovery, she was certain she wouldn't have sustained enough hurt to have worried over, let alone killed. It was then that she noticed how tight her hold had been on the newbie.

With a scowl, and only the tips of her ears catching fire, the woman finally let the star go, setting the adventurer upon two feet once again.

Koga died.

Just kidding.

As soon as Koga had gotten over the fact that he was falling into the hole that he had been staring at, he turned his body and spread his arms and legs out, abating as much of the speed as he could. He didn't know if Starla had fallen in after him, but he hoped if she had, she could at least see him and get the idea.

Now, Koga had never gone skydiving before, as much as he found the idea exhilarating. Despite that fact, he still had the sensation that he was falling a bit slower than he was supposed to. Had the featherfall effect remained? Or was it just slowly dissipating over time. That was something that the man could ponder later, if he even got the chance, because at the speed he was going, he was certain he would still splatter across the ground like water balloon thrown at wall.

As the man descended, he could slowly make out two figures sprinting at high speeds towards their landing zone. That must've been Alkor and NIGHT. A silent prayer to God that they made it in time.

A few more moments of heart racing freefall. The ground was rushing up towards him far too quickly. Were the other two players going to make it? 20 meters. 10 meters. Alkor, please.

The other man suddenly launched himself off the ground, and just as Koga thought he was done for he felt the impact of Alkor colliding with him.

Perhaps the impact hadn't hurt Alkor, but Koga got the distinct sensation that he would have a very, very large black and yellow bruise in his side as he rolled to a stop, flat on his back. "Ow..." the man muttered as Alkor got to his knees, before he berated him.

"That was not the plan..." was Koga's first words as he sat up, rubbing his side. 'I'm guessing from the way you two were hoofing it, the shield didn't make it?"

Starla could feel the air rushing all over her body as she descended rapidly toward the floor below. She spread herself out and closed her eyes tightly. If she was going to hit the ground, she did not want to know when she was going to die. She held her breath as the air rushed and rushed, drowning out her hearing. Her mind went blank as it focused on the rushing. I don't want to die. Starla opened her eyes to see the ground not much further from her. "I DON'T WANT TO D-OOGH!" Starla felt her breath leave her as she was essentially plucked out of the air by NIGHT.

Starla felt herself cough a bit as NIGHT held her close. Starla looked up at the girl who had eyes that bore down on her. As she was about to call back out to her about being careful, NIGHT's breathing wavered. As much as Starla wanted to be angry at NIGHT for blaming her for this incident, Starla kept her mouth shut and looked away from NIGHT. Her face felt a little hot thinking about how much the cold girl had worried about her. She wondered what NIGHT might look like when her cold eyes turned warmer. As a scowl came across NIGHT's face, Starla felt her face turn tomato red and she stood on her own. "Sorry. I'll make sure not to do that again." Starla's expression turned cold as she looked to Koga. "And by that, I mean trusting Koga." Starla crossed her arms and looked away from him, pouting. "Hmph." Starla looked at NIGHT. "Doesn't even have the decency to ask me how I am after the fall he caused." She paused. "Thanks for catching me. I was... Really worried there for a minute." Starla felt her legs shake so much that she fell to the ground. Maybe this was affecting her more than she thought. She felt that if her senses weren't so dulled by the game, she probably would have passed out from adrenaline.

"Do you see a shield?" Alkor asked, his tone scathing. He made a sweeping gesture across the area to indicate any number of places where the item could have been but was not. What he did not do was give Koga a chance to answer the rhetorical question. He managed to catch his breath after nearly thirty seconds of hyperventilation, and pulled himself up on two feet. "It's one thing to endanger yourself, but it's completely reckless and irresponsible to bring a fresh Player into harm's way with you. You see that?" He thrust a thumb accusingly at Starla, still shivering as NIGHT dressed her down verbally. "Come on man, we've been out here putting in work for years, it's up to us to set the example for people who get the courage to step up and join us."

The entire debacle was enough to make his head spin, and in truth it did. Alkor was so outside of his element getting angry or concerned with someone that the words just flooded out like vomit. He knew that Koga hadn't intended to put them in this situation, but the fact remained that intentional or not, he had done it. Now Starla was shaken and unless NIGHT worked some kind of sorcery, she was unlikely to feel enthusiastic about the world outside of the Town of Beginnings. Situations like these created a negative association. He didn't want to watch anyone shut down. Not after everything he had been through.

"Apologize to Starla," he said, spinning around to bow low to the new girl. "I shouldn't have just let you follow him, I'm sorry," he said.

Still bowing, he shot a sideways glance toward Koga. "And after this, you're going to apologize to every single name written on that damn monument," he muttered. "All those people who died and couldn't have stopped it if they tried, and you drop through a fucking hole in the ground that's been fenced off." He huffed and squeezed both eyes shut, fighting back the rage that threatened to overtake him. This wasn't a safe zone, and he wasn't about to turn his cursor orange to pummel Koga for being an idiot.

Starla's gaze travelled across the clearing, and NIGHT followed it to watch Koga stuck in the middle of a solid reprimanding from Alkor. "Probably for the best," she huffed -- her friend could be one hell of a handful sometimes, but at least she knew the guy, unlike the fresh meat that had just fallen into the adventuring lifestyle herself. The player had to wonder how much experience the newbie had for herself -- a week? Perhaps somewhere less than a month. A miracle would've told her two days, akin to Chase's progress, but even he wouldn't have been keen on leaping into a death trap himself.

That would mean Koga's potential death rate in his stupid ideas were almost on par with boars, by NIGHT's estimate. By now, he'd owed the cosmos more apologies than there were lights in the sky, she knew that.

When Starla sank to the floor, it only highlighted to the player the extent of exhaustion she was probably under from the scare of the fall. It took NIGHT by surprise -- mostly because the woman had seemed fine but a moment ago. "H-Hey. Don't push yourself." It would suck if something happened to their companion after she just got rescued from a near impossibility. The best course of action from here would've been to mitigate as much risk as possible. "Just take it easy. Rest up if you need to."

Had the guys stepped to their side, the player would've shot Koga a glare, visibly irritated. There was no way the fault could've been in the star -- especially when the man had fallen first, subject to a myriad of objections from nearly everyone involved in the situation. "So I trust you not to do it again," she remarked, turning away from his gaze to better examine Starla's state, "Or anything like that, ever, for that matter."

Koga actually flinched at Alkor's reprimanding. His first instinct was to shout back that it had been an accident but the man kept his mouth shut. Even if it was an accident, he knew full well he'd probably frightened everyone, Starla not being the least of all. As if he didn't feel bad enough, but the glares he was getting from NIGHT was enough to make his blood run cold.

The man did manage to take a sidelong glance at the white-haired girl though, just as she collapsed to the ground. Koga almost immediately scrambled on his hands and knees over to her. "H-hey, are you okay?" he asked placing a hand on her shoulder. He couldn't check her health bar since they weren't in a party, but he hadn't taken any fall damage, so he reasoned she didn't either, but still, he worried. The others could continue shouting at him later.

Starla looked at the man watching over her, as well as NIGHT who was supporting her. She took a few deep breaths as she felt herself break into a bit of a cold sweat. "It's alright. I just..." She took a deep breath. "I just need to calm myself down. That fall was a lot." Starla looked at the three who were basically panicking at her dropping to the ground. Starla stood up and swiped the dirt off of her clothes. "I won't be taking a tumble like that for quite a while, I hope."

Starla bowed to all three of them. "I'm sorry. That was a poor decision on my part. I got a bit too brave and ended up endangering myself." Starla felt her eyes lay on Koga for a moment before she turned around and stood back up. "I get the blame isn't entirely mine though. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the situation in the future so I don't end up making that kind of mistake again. And Koga..." Starla stiffened for a moment, wanting to lash out. She gripped her fists as tightly as she felt she could. She swore that she would've inflicted damage to herself if she was wanting to take the risk of potentially scarring her hands, but she wasn't. "Please don't let me join you on ventures like these until I'm a much higher level. If I had really fell..." Starla shook her head and tried to fight back tears. "I'd be dead." Starla frowned as she resisted the urge to cover her face as tears started to flow. She couldn't let them see her like this. She wasn't this weak. She couldn't lose it over one risk. The front liners risked their lives all the time, that's what Yuki taught her. She needed to toughen up. But...

Starla let out a sniffle as the tears poured. I'm scared. Why did I do this? I could've died. What was I thinking? How could I be so careless? That was so stupid. She wanted to punch herself. Something to help her wake up. Stop it. You're being pathetic. You can't let NIGHT see you like this. What would she think of you after this? She seems to care about you, but she'll stop caring if she sees you being like this. Like a baby. Starla tried to steel herself, but the tears had already started and they would not be stopped so easily. Starla gripped her fists and stiffened, really hoping someone would come and give her a hug. She wanted to see her mom. She wanted to be home.

He took an extremely deep breath before he raised his head.

There was rage burning deep in the pit if his stomach, but more, he felt relieved. They made it in time to stop the very worst from happening. No one was dead. He wanted to make sure nothing like this happened again, but the bad part was over. There was no more need to yell, even if it felt satisfying to do so.

Koga checked up on the girl, and really, that was the most Alkor could have asked for. She seemed more deeply shaken than he'd been when the Phoenix on floor nine nearly carved through all of his health in a single blow, or when the Hydra swallowed him up. Brushes with death were commonplace in this world, but for someone to experience one so early on their journey to the Frontlines could be extremely jarring.

His expression softened. "All's well that ends well, I guess," he sighed quietly as he turned to look at NIGHT. She was more worried than she'd initially let on, almost like a stern mother who was actually quite frightened for her child. She'd displayed this kind of instinct before, when Alkor thought about it. Deeply protective, nuturing. How very tsundere. 

With a glance toward Koga, he crossed his arms. "You gonna be alright?" he asked the man. Everyone was concerned about Starla, but despite the fact that he was a higher level, he'd still brushed pretty close with death himself. Alkor wanted to be sure that things would only get better from here. 

Starla was crying. That was something Alkor just wasn't equipped to deal with. His proclivity for bluntness and being an all around airhead was too high- he'd say the wrong thing and exacerbate the situation. His gilded gaze twitched toward his guild mate, and he jerked his head quickly in the direction of the other woman. 

His expression said everything.

You handle this.

Me?!

Okay, sure. Alkor's recent growth had turned him into a different person entirely, most likely for the better. The fact that he even had the self-awareness to notice when things were better suited for someone else to handle was already a strong indicator that he was improving himself. And despite all the wrath thrown Koga's way, he too wasn't in a right position to deal with the crying woman himself.

--Even so.

Her?

(It was because she was female, too, wasn't she? Because it only seemed right for friends of the same gender to comfort each other with ease. That there would be no underlying symptoms of manipulation between signs of care between two women who'd barely known each other, not in the same way that society might've carefully watched people of the opposite sexes sharing an intimate moment for even the quarter of a second.)

NIGHT felt her teeth set together, realizing the dynamic of the situation -- she'd always been so careful to avoid entering scenarios such as these, if only so she wouldn't be seen as predatory, not to the outside world.

--But she couldn't help herself from examining her position that way, anyway, as though society's eyes were still upon her in that moment. And she didn't want to see herself as a tiger savouring what could've been considered a meek kill.

To add further complexities to the matter, NIGHT definitely didn't know how to comfort someone else either, especially when they were upset. She barely even knew how to take care of herself. The player could only look on silently for a few beats, watching the tears roll down Starla's cheeks. It only made sense to cry after an ordeal as before, the heart-gripping fear of facing death but a mere few seconds away from one's body meeting the floor. But how could she even take charge? How...

--In that moment, her mind settled on a memory.

Her sharp eyes first settled on Koga, then Alkor. In the same way her guildmate had left the novice up to her stead, so too would she direct her two companions to leave -- it wouldn't behoove them to watch a delicate lady in a desolate state, after all. When they'd left, NIGHT finally took the newbie's hand in her own, facing her so that their fronts were finally parallel. Her thumb circled the inside of the star's palm, first awkwardly before it settled into a familiar, regular pace. With her other empty hand, she tried to wipe the tears away from Starla's face; they were warm on her fingertips, but were nothing compared to the sear on her joints from the stranger's cheeks, having sobbed so fiercely to begin with.

NIGHT fought the urge to say something, anything, when she wasn't sure how to respond in the first place. Her recollection brought up phrases that weren't suitable for Aincrad, for an almost suicidal leap. She struggled to change them, finally forcing her mouth open once she'd guessed on a good few words. "It was scary, wasn't it? The fall..."

Her damp fingers traced upwards, their wet surfaces brushing against dry cloth when she curled them into her fingerless gloves. Her palm rested on the top of Starla's head, before NIGHT brought it downwards, stroking through the woman's hair in her pets.

"You were brave, taking the leap after Koga. You made it to the ground and you're safe now, in one piece. And you were holding it together for so long, too. I'm proud of you for doing what you had to."

Her narrowed eyes loosened their ferocity at their edges, the woman watching the light as she flickered in dissonance, missing the radiance that she had from before. NIGHT could only hope that what she was doing was working.

"Everything's gonna be okay now," she continued, gently sifting through Starla's locks. "We'll make sure something like that never happens to you again, alright? If you need to cry, then do it. There's no shame in that, I promise."

NIGHT wrapped her fingers around the back of Starla's. She curled them inwards, giving the woman's hand a soft squeeze. A vague promise of comfort, if nothing else.

"I'm right here. I'm here for you."

Something shifted in the shadows nearby, padding with near non-existent softness of the supplest leather pressing against hard stone, gritting together the tiniest sampling of sand as it twisted its stance.  It was enough to give away its position, but not from the expected direction.  A second shadow, of the same size and build and with identical silhouette, silently fell upon it from behind.  The two figures struggled at the edge of dim light cast by the drained blood crystals, laced into and still clinging to the cavern walls, or else refracting tiny glimmers penetrating from the oculus carved through the shattered lake bed high above.

The edges of humanoid limbs emerged then withdrew into darkness as the two figures traded blows, seemingly matching blows and counterblows with near-perfect timing. Choreographed dancers would have struggled to match each other so equally and perfectly in their timing and predictions.  Two heads, obscured by fine charcoal-colored wool cowls, dipped briefly into the light, their openings and concealed gazes locked on to each other in the midst of a lethal struggle.  

One figure notices the two women on the nearby ledge, deciding its fate.  A fraction of a second’s distraction was enough for the other to deliver a solid blow that deprived it of breath as it stumbled one step sideways into the light.  The man was clad in black leather armor, fit tight to minimize his profile and ease movement, worn in the ways that scout’s might be.  No time was offered to ascertain more before the other followed into the light, throwing a downward blow with its fist that elongated into a blade as black as the nothingness of the void as it plunged through the first’s form, shattering it into a thousand motes of broken, shimmering glass that soon dissipated into vanishing pixels.

The newcomer looked identical in all respects save one: the appearance of a slow turning green icon over his head, confirming his identity as a player.  The void blade hummed, in a manner eerily reminiscent of a purring, satisfied cat, even as the assailant slowly stood to full height to survey the unexpected scene.  Freyd’s cowl tilted to the side.

“Wha… who?  Oh.”  Recognition and realization dawned simultaneously.  

“NIGHT?!”  Red eyes that were barely visible beneath his cowl narrowed with confusion and skepticism.  One could not let their guard down while hunting wayward Gemini.

Spoiler

Freyd
Level: 88
HP: 1790/1790
EN: 191/191

Stats:
Damage: 20
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:89
VAMP OFF:179
HLY:6
FLN:6
LD:5

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R3 [Obtained]
Hiding [Rank 5]
Martial Arts [Rank 5]
Quick Change [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Active Mods:
Precision - 2HSS
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity - 2HSS
LA Sprint and Acrobatics
Vengeful Riposte
Night Vision
Tracking

Inactive Mods:
Vanish
Surprise Attack (Assassin)
Untraceable

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Flash of Rejuvenation (Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Grave Injustice (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, Keen 1, Abs. ACC)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring:

Right. This was wholly his fault. Starla could have died because of Koga's stupid decision if not for Alkor and NIGHT. He'd let them all down the moment he made his stupid suggestion. As Starla stood, Koga did too, and he felt his rising shame burn through his chest. He knew she was crying, but all he could do was watch until NIGHT guided the girl away, and Koga and Alkor stepped to the side to let them talk things through.

"I'll be fine," Koga said to Alkor. His voice was distant though, the walls quickly rising as the rest of him began to shut down. Just a drone in the shape of Koga. It was one thing to help each other in fight, and cover the others mistakes. It was another to put himself and another in a dangerous situation for the sake of a thrill. He was not the kind of person people like them needed around them.

A familiar voice pierced the air, and Koga stole a glance, knowing exactly who he'd see. A man who was all too similar to himself, and yet better in seemingly everyway. Koga turned his back to the man, and pulled up his hood, hoping he could escape notice from the man's sharp gaze. He didn't want him to know he'd disappointed the two people he not only saw as friends, but people to look up to, to emulate.

Starla saw the blurry visage of NIGHT come into her teary view. She closed her eyes tightly to try and stop the tears, but the situation was a bit overwhelming. What she was saying was getting drowned out by the voice in her head, but there weren't very many words being exchanged. She told her to cry as much as she needed to, but she wished she hadn't said that. Crying was something that she shouldn't do in front of others. Being scared wasn't something she should do in front of others. She should be strong just like NIGHT was being now. As NIGHT's hand touched hers, she felt the stream of tears slow. She took a deep breath as she blinked a few times. She had managed to stay the tears for now. But the one thing NIGHT misunderstood was that she leapt in after Koga.

Before she could get a word in, a new person appeared before her and NIGHT. Starla immediately wiped the tears from her face. If this person knew NIGHT and was on this floor, they were likely another strong person. She couldn't go giving the impression that she was as weak as she was. Unconsciously, she was still holding onto NIGHT's hand, but she didn't let go. This was the one thing holding her together. It was grounding her, even if it was just a hand. Her hand felt a little cold to the touch, but it was better than curling her hands together by herself. She didn't move, expecting NIGHT to help mend this situation. She wasn't really in a position to talk with this person. She hoped that he wouldn't get the wrong kind of idea, although... She didn't hate the idea of that.

Starla was dearly trying to put herself together, but it was not working out. Starla looked at NIGHT with a look that said it all, tears still wanting to press through.

I don't want you to go. Please.

The way Koga answered was short, but flat. Curt, even- the man was browbeaten for the chastisement he received, understandably. There was a visible degree of standoffishness in the way he avoided further conflict, but that was the best way for a person to prevent people from approaching them unwanted. 

Another person entered the fray at this point, but Alkor kept his attention focused on Koga. The man pulled up his hood, a defensive gesture, and pointedly kept his back toward the newcomer. Someone he knew, perhaps? Or someone who he didn't want to deal with given the circumstances?

It was difficult to tell one way or the other. 

NIGHT and Starla had a moment right up until the new arrival made his way over and spoke to them, but Alkor couldn't make out what they were saying from the distance he and Koga had traveled. The intention had been to give Starla more space, but that was already foiled.

Alkor glanced over to see NIGHT hand in hand with the lower leveled woman, and he took that to mean some of the stress was alleviated. That much at least was good.

He wasn't about to hold Koga's hand, though.

"If you're feeling up to it, we can grab some drinks," Alkor offered. "No reason to stick around now, I reckon."

Question.

What should NIGHT be feeling, right now?

She knew she could read the moment. The tension, the worry and concern she poured onto the other. That she carved out a spot in the cavern, intentionally so that her companion could take a breather, away from prying eyes. Private, their moment; no, NIGHT wasn't about to take advantage of it, and it sickened her to her core that she even held the privilege of comforting a sweet nother just because she happened to be the most appropriate player in the vicinity to have done so within their group.

There was guilt, hesitance, and a great load of responsibility on her shoulders. And then someone else had to intrude upon their scene.

It just so happened to be Freyd.

To tell the truth, she couldn't have cared less about who it was -- her brows only furrowed when they trailed off from Starla, fingers running down the tips of her strands as she pulled away from the woman to turn around. The grip on her hand still remained. NIGHT fought back a complaint to have it otherwise; Starla still needed it, most likely. It was only a few seconds after registering their interloper that she stepped in front of the novice with more than just the fear of having their time out be ruined.

NIGHT remembered how much of a threat Freyd was rumored to be. And rumors be damned -- but she wasn't about to take any chances whilst she was guarding someone who'd just gone through hell and back.

She kept a steady composure, however, none of those complexities were bound to show through on her form. All it took was a shift of her state of mind; she'd already been in control of her internals when she had to look after her stead. "Freyd," NIGHT greeted the other front liner, a slight bow of her head in accordance. "Uh--"

Her glance towards Starla was only to ensure she wasn't freaked out about the appearance of someone else. Another firm squeeze of her hand, before she looked back towards their new entrant. "--What brings you here?"

Two figures in the distance, forty yards to the left and moving away.  One looks substantially familiar, but both have green icons.  Not gemini.

Thank you, Montjoy.  Keep me apprised.  There may be more.

Freyd took in the sight with scarlet, skeptical eyes.  A second figure crouched beyond the familiar one, white hair acting like an inverted shadow to NIGHT's dark - how appropriate.  The balance was striking.  Right hand still out of sight, and perhaps holding a weapon?  When was she not, though perhaps it was more that she came equipped with snarky barbs than a blade at every moment.  She had brought him to that gooey, chocolate-infested hell, once, though.  Pictures of a titanic peep flooded a fleeting memory, then vanished as irrelevant to the moment.  What were these two doing down here?  His gaze remained locked on the nearer one, both spinning emerald crystals barring him from acting with any aggression.  They were players, after all, and courtesies had to be obeyed.  Elora would have offered and spilled tea on them in the time it took him to complete his assessment.  He was stalling, of course.  

On the far side of the wide ledge, where a series of stalagmites cradled the ruined remains of what had once been a boat, slunk a lithe and slender figure in the shape of a mongoose.  Black as inky night in the dark of shattered caverns, she moved unseen to gaze upon the hidden prize.  Who was NIGHT sheltering in the dark?  It seemed a worthy question.  Curiosity had been the start of the bond between them.  The hair was reminiscent of Nisahime, but the build and figure were wrong.  Finding her vantage, Persi snuck a peek from behind twin stacks of muddy mineral deposits, chancing a peek with dual, azure slotted eyes.  

"A nest of Gemini was found in the Forest of Mysteries, above,"  Freyd muttered, flatly.  His dislike for the creatures had become well-known.  "The shapeshifters can form claws to help them with the descent.  Some fled here after being routed from the wood.  Mac and I happened to be clearing the lake bed of another troubling sort when I saw them pass."  A jutting nose and chin pointed to the clusters of blackened blood crystals still clinging to the cavern walls, their power spent to fuel Skalaugh's wrath and downfall.  The dragon had over-reached and paid the price, here, on these very stones.  Freyd's boot twisted, grinding the remnants of the mob he'd just slain, for no better reason than to gauge a reaction.

Persi's form changed subtly as she neared Starla from the other side, looking at first like a miniature black panther on the prowl; black on black.  A moment later, that darkness sparkled with the revelation of stars upon the slick coat that should be her fur, but wasn't.  A rich night's sky to mimic the one once reflected by the missing lake above now shone as she stretched out her neck and sniffed silently at the clenched hands she'd found binding the two smaller lummoxes - her favoured term for the oafish companion she chose to tolerate during her travels.  Not that she could ever give voice to it.  Wiggly things were her favourite.  NIGHT and Starla felt something simultaneously slick and sand-papery lick their intertwined fingers, just as Freyd's cowl tilted to the left.

"Have we interrupted something?"

As Starla kept her hand clasped, she was a bit confused as to what was going on. NIGHT also seemed very confused why this person was here. At the very least, he seemed like he was not an enemy. NIGHT might have tensed up a little bit at the sight of them, but she didn't immediately go to shield her. That was enough to make Starla feel a bit more comfortable with the situation. As she let her guard down, her grip on NIGHT relaxed a bit as this stranger explained why they were there. It was a bit odd. Yes, he was after some monsters that had escaped, but... Starla felt her brain twist trying to understand why he approached the two of them. Was he trying to be polite and greet a friend? But... His greeting and tone certainly did not match up as someone who was just trying to be friendly. As she though about this for a moment, she felt slightly wet sandpaper brush across her skin.

"AH!" Starla pulled her hand back in surprise, seeing the panther now standing next to her and NIGHT. As she did so, she fell onto the ground. She was afraid at first, but realized if it wanted to attack her, it probably would've done so at first. Starla looked over the panther taking in all of its sleek beauty. After a moment, she felt herself smile a little bit and go a bit closer to it. Since it didn't attack her, was it friendly? Starla turned to the general direction of NIGHT and Freyd, unsure of which one to address. "May I pet them?"