[PP-F03] The Quest of Bull Men (Search for the Hoya)

Xena had sighed, she supposed there was no avoiding it. She was in too deep now, and the euphoria being pet seemed to of given her clouded her judgement. "I go by a few... Tigress... some call me The Tiger Lady... but my name, the one my friend calls me, is Xena..." She didn't expect any of them to know the name at all. She was but a small info broker and performer. "And you... if from what I've heard and can deduce correctly is right... you're the Red Wanderer... aren't you?" She tilted her head looking up at him, a gaze much of innocence in her eyes, innocence and curiosity, for once dropping her guard, and trusting these strangers, she just had hoped it wouldn't turn out to bite her. She felt a small breeze blow through the corridors of this labyrinth, it was a somewhat reassuring feeling one of relaxation and safety. Her clawed gauntlets laid softly at her sides. "Its a shame that the first time I met you it was like this." She stated with a small smile, as if honored to meet him, but also untrustworthy regardless, after all. Even the best of the Frontline, had killed at least one player. Maybe more then one, it was likely why she was so afraid of people in the first place, they can kill her the slightest whim. "It would seem what rumors made it to the first floor though, were untrue, your a much kinder figure then they intale..." She had finished her rambling being redirected into lala land from the head rubs, she felt like she could stay like this for a long time, but she doubted there would be such time.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nari felt her gaze flick between Xena and the Gardener. She’d never heard the title the girl used, but somehow it seemed…important? As if it had meaning, perhaps a story behind it. It was something for another time, she assumed. Something about what the Gardener had said had caught her attention though, the words rebounding in her mind as she tried to figure them out.

‘We honest few…’ Suddenly Nari’s eyes squinted as she stared at the Gardener. It was there, she saw it. It made sense – the outcast, the one who wanders…everything suddenly clicked into place. She wasn’t sure quite what to make of it, but she knew now wasn’t the time to bring it up. Perhaps one day she would find herself wandering back to his small garden, but today was not that day.

“There is always more than meets the eye, especially when trusting a rumour – assuming that this, a rumour. I’ve not heard tale of this…Red Wanderer, but I assume it is something that has been passed from the tongues of others?” Nari glanced towards Astreya, seeing if the girl had anything to add, before continuing quickly. “I’m sure many a rumour about those on the front lines exist, but that is what the Gardener is warning against – do not trust those who would sow doubt and disconnect, instead allow us to work together to escape.”

Nari wondered if she had explained it even poorly, the words hadn’t felt right. There was so much more to it, but…sometimes it was best to keep it simple – or so she’d learnt. Not that the girl wasn’t smart – Nari assumed she wouldn’t have made it this far if she wasn’t – but still…

“I…assume that you have completed the other half of the quest? Should we…well, should we focus on completing it? I know that time is a luxury, but…we’ve spent much of it here – and though it would be enjoyable to remain forever, the sands never remain when the waves of the ocean…lap at the beaches?”

That wasn’t it…she felt herself curse inwardly as the saying was lost on the tip of her tongue. She had memorised it once, but something had driven it from her mind. Shrugging inwardly, she smiled at the group – trying to show that it was not impatience, but a desire to continue forwards that pushed her words.

Spoiler

Word Count: 393

"We honest few are so few and far between."

The words felt like a cold knife slipped between the young woman's ribs.  The words were directed at Nari, and that much was clear, but Astreya was already well aware of just how perceptive this man could be.  Of course, a difference lay in the fact that he did so without any guise or layers.  Certainly, speaking with a cryptic bend at times, but he never really seemed to shy away from the truth that he knew.  In fact, if anything, he was burdened with that truth, bearing down on the man's shoulders with the weight of the entire world.  

Or maybe he'd worn a mask like Astreya did, once, and it had just broken under the strain.

Maybe he still wore one now and it had become so well-worn that it was now his guise itself.

The words seemed out of place compared to the rest of his message that the young woman couldn't help but to feel it was directed to her...but maybe she was just being vain?  Surely she wouldn't be important enough for him to take any real notice of her.  She'd seen, and heard, the very subtle change in the way he regarded Nari.  The violet-haired woman was more kindred, more worthy of the man's notice- certainly she was just being foolish to think that he had indirectly addressed her- she'd just read into what wasn't there, out of fear of her own persecution and an inflated sense of self-worth.

Of course, all of this was hidden behind a sunny smile as she nodded along with Raidou's words. "Yeah!  That's, like, what we say in volleyball too!  Teamwork makes the dream work!" she cheered, the dancing smile on her featuers glancing over toward the cat-eared girl as she began to speak then.

Astreya's head tilted to the side slightly as she listened to the girl list off titles for a moment, before she eventually settled in on her name.  "It's, like totally nice to meet you, Xena!  I'm Astreya!" the dark-haired woman spoke warmly, beaming a smile at the girl.  But as she continued, speaking yet another title... this one aimed at Raidou, Astreya couldn't help but to blink slightly, the smile just frozen on her features for a moment.

The Red Wanderer?  Raidou?

She was suddenly aware of the fact that Nari was looking to her for an answer.  "Uh, yeah, kinda.  You're like, a little shy around others, so like, you might not've heard.  There's like this ghost story?  That's like, the best way that I can think to put it, but like... there's a lot of really bad rumors about the Red Wanderer," the woman spoke, frowning slightly.  "But I don't know if I can, like, believe that one," she spoke, the mask coming back together as easily as breathing as she made a gesture toward Raidou.  "Just because, like, he wears red...that's not enough to really, like go on, right?" she asked.

All the same, Astreya's gaze had been somewhat trained on the single male among them.  Based on what she'd known before- the tea-drinking fellow on the 19th floor...no, she'd not have thought it.  But hearing him now and the words he'd uttered in response to all things, she could see some of the pieces of the puzzle.  Each person was like that- each person had multiple pieces to their outer persona that they showed everyone, and then another set of the person within.  Sometimes those two fit together into a single picture, and Astreya was curious if what this girl said was the truth or not.

But as Nari continued, she nodded.  "Yeah!  Like, as long as we're all on the same side to like, get out of here?  Who cares, right?" she spoke, before tossing a wide grin at Nari.  "But yeah!  We like, totally took out the other minotaur guy already.  You guys, like, beat that one?" she asked, bouncing a little in what appeared to be excitement, but was nervous energy.  "We can, like, totally get out of here then."

She was chattering- she needed to get some time to compose herself, but she didn't want to lead anyone to thinking that anything was wrong.  Nothing could be wrong or someone would take notice.  She had to be strong at the expense of herself. 

For everyone else.

The epiphany had sunken in, and with Xena's acknowledgement he takes to a shuffle as if building distance. "I am." The simple answer so such a troubling question, he wasn't the type to deny it. It showed that even the darkest story had a victim, or even a hero could be a villain. As he'd make a somber jaunt to the entry, seeking passage out as the bitter sting was realized. "The stories are true. Take what you will from that. All I can offer is this."

A pause as he removes his glasses and works to clean them, a method to the madness.

"Each of you will continue to walk the paths you see before you, and at the end of that road I would hope that you will recognize who you've become." His attentions shift across the trio and the smile had faded. "I hope that I can watch all three of you grow, and find happiness. Without concern of who might be waiting to take it all away." After all, his joy was forfeited for that very same.

Time would betray all.

A tinge of red almost like smoke began to billow behind every footstep, like creeping miasma. "Nari." A locking of eyes and just the subtle hint of regret. "Teach me where that path might diverge." There was a bit of that same driven emotion, but it was carefully tucked away out of sight. "Xena, Don't be discouraged and don't let those fears control you. Despite there being quite the number of shadows out there to exploit you, there are an equal amount of people who would support you. I do not regret knowing who you are." A twist to stare into Astreya, as she seemed to see into a carefully manifested and produced mask, he knew why. But the reason would be hers to keep. "Astreya, I am proud of how much you've sprouted out. You are no longer the spunky girl I met in the middle of a field. You have ambitions that are about to become real, through hard work of your own two hands." A flash of red on his iris and on instinct he replaces his lenses. The wanderer turns, and that vapor leaves a trail behind it. Visible emotion, an anger, but toward what?

"I will be watching, and we are..."

The footfalls as he trails away and a lingering wake of red sheer, following him just like a red robe. A banner to those of ideals worth saving, and a consequence for those that were not.

"On the same side."

In the distance, one can hear the respawned Minos scream out in agony. Its life drained simply by an Ill Omen in Red passing by.

Quest Complete:
Kodo_1.jpg
12909/30=430*5=2150

Xena:
2150*1=2150+500 (Quest) = 2650 EXP
Hoya of Minos [Vanity] - Often used as a gift for weddings
267 Col (Thread Closure)

Raidou:
2150*13=27950 EXP
Hoya of Minos [Vanity] - Often used as a gift for weddings

Astreya:
2150*4=8600 EXP