[F27 – PP] Dinner in the Dark

A soft ring of laughter escaped Nari’s lips – even to her, it was obvious how uncomfortable the girl had become. Nari had to admit – she was somewhat enjoying this moment. Maybe not the expressions that had come before it, the emotional dump that had escaped. But this, right here…this she enjoyed.

“I just mean – well. A date. To get to know you more, and…well, maybe more, in time.” She bit her bottom lip, before adding. “I understand and respect if the answer is no but…I hope…well, I hope that maybe in time…”

Nari let the question hang in the air. It was all out there now, and she simply had to wait and see what came out it. Her heart had gone entirely calm – perhaps this was what Astreya had been trying to tell her? – as she waited, the normal turmoil seeming to have subsided as she waited. She knew that she was putting NIGHT on the spot – something she herself hated having done to her, but Nari also knew that it was better to clear the air before assumptions went wrong. Like they had clearly gone before the dinner had even started.

Spoiler

Word Count: 193

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same crossroads. The fear of not taking no for an answer. NIGHT usually hadn't a difficulty there -- she didn't once or twice over before. And yet, this time...

There was hesitation where there shouldn't be.

A thumping in her ears. It wasn't as though there was anything wrong with saying no, but it was almost like an affirmation was clearly not the best choice. Yet it hung over her head, like a Sword of Damocles.

“I understand and respect if the answer is no but…I hope…well, I hope that maybe in time…”

Nari may have understood, but NIGHT didn't. And not for not wanting to understand, either. But...

She closed her eyes, hand pulled away, fingers running through the back of her head. Tugging at her locks. Grazing her scalp. Any bit of grounding right now would've been welcome for the woman, and she knew it. Time taken -- she was owed it, this much was necessary after an invitation like that, but to know there was an expectation from the other...

"I... I can't give you an answer."

That was what NIGHT had decided, pained, as she dropped her hand and balled her hand into a fist. Both of them, now positioned now upon her knees, the woman was nearly flushed full in the face, eyes pointed downwards towards the table in agony.

"I can't give you an answer. Not for the long run."

A harsh breath taken, and the woman took a moment to calm down just the same.

"And this isn't on you, N-Nari. You're... p-perfectly fine. G-golden, e-even."

Her eyes raised from the wood, drifting to her companion's clothes. An idle stare. NIGHT wasn't sure where else to turn to.

"B-but... I-I can give you an answer for this one." Her hand, shaky, gestured towards the utensils on the table, stored in a tiny woven basket. "To get to know each other better... w-whether that be over multiple occasions or just this one. That's all I can afford for now."

She pressed her lips together, head bowed, waiting Nari's response.

"I'm sorry... if that's not what you wanted to hear."

And in the back of her head, she searched for an answer, to find reasoning in her hesitation, between this confession and the others.

What was it, that made all the difference?

Nari felt her face flush at the words. Golden. NIGHT had called her golden. But the girl’s hesitation had been real. Nari felt a pang in her heart – she understood more than this girl could know. It wasn’t what she had wanted to hear, but she’d…well, she knew too well.

“You don’t need to give me an answer now. It’s…a lot, and forward. And…sudden. I get that. I just…well, think on it, maybe? If in time…Well, I’ll be here. As long as I’m here.”

This was much harder than Nari had expected. She knew that the girl was doing the right thing – running into something wasn’t safe, it wasn’t smart. It was easy, sure. But…so was loss. And that hurt.

As the silence stretched between them, the food suddenly made its appearance, and Nari eyed the dish that NIGHT had ordered. Something in her changed, and she felt an almost…devilish?...behaviour come over her. Quickly grabbing a spoon, Nari dunked it into the bowl, swirling everything around before pulling the spoon back and tasting it.

“Oh – that is…that is good!” The spoon in her hand, hanging loosely in her fingers, a sly smile on her face, Nari will offer it to the girl. She was pushing boundaries and she knew it. “Want to taste?”

Staring at NIGHT, the smile on her lips still, Nari will wait for the girl’s response, wondering just what she’d do – and absolutely loving the colour that had already flushed her face.

Spoiler

Word Count: 245

In the quiet that followed, NIGHT considered her rationale: that hesitation. But her mind drifted, followed a train of thought that lead her to obstacles, if she were to consider Nari's offer seriously. Anyone's offer seriously, even. Because she wasn't just the only one with baggage in Aincrad, she knew that much. But for them to take a real form in this world was much, much worse a concept.

She thought back to the dream with Hidden, bouncing back to the discussion with Yuki. How she hadn't been ready to entertain such a thought in the first place -- finding romance? Especially in a death game. The thought was all but sensible. Her eyes softened while thinking, as the woman considered the differences once again. Was it getting to know Nari? Was it the like-minded damage?

Was it the similarity in their martyr/saviour-complex?

NIGHT couldn't decide.

When their food arrived, she also hadn't expected her companion to spark to life, grabbing the utensils faster than she could reach for them. And her meal--

"Hey, what're you--"

“Oh – that is…that is good!”

Never mind how the plating of the bowl was to be considered, how food was first eaten with one's eyes. Never mind how Nari had eaten some of her food. And never mind the fact that they'd been considering such heavy topics in the past.

Seeing the grin on Nari's face form, it took all of her effort not to leap out at the woman. A scowl, by nature now, would reform on her face. "What're you doing that for?" Manners were important -- she didn't think she'd have to explain it to anyone else, either.

So she brushed past the blush that was once on her cheeks, whipping the the spoon from her companion's hand. Forceful. NIGHT shot back a moderate look to the woman, salvaging what she could of her now-disrupted meal. Honestly. "You could've asked if you wanted some. What's gotten into you, there?"

Nari felt a moment of resistance in her as she wondered if she’d gone too far – should she apologise? Should she play it off? But…something in NIGHT’s posture, her eyes, even her face made Nari question. Deciding to give in to it, she shrugged, tossing the words out lightly.

“I couldn’t resist something so beautiful. And…well, it was to lighten the mood. Oh and I licked that spoon.Nari grinned at her companion, carefully picking up a fry and slowly biting down on it. She didn’t often get in this mood, but when she had…

Shaking her head, she spoke the next words before she even knew they were on her mind, a look of surprising crossing her face the moment they were all out. “We cannot give everything to the darkness that is this game – this world. These could be our last moments, and…well, it would be a shame if our final moments were only of the chances we didn’t take. The things we missed out on because…because were afraid. At least, that’s what I tell myself…”

The irony of it all hit her suddenly – how much of her own life had she gone avoiding things because she was afraid. Was that why she had rushed to virtual reality? Because she didn’t miss things? Or was there another reason, something deeper…

Shaking the thoughts away, she smiled at NIGHT, trying to break the girl’s less-than-happy reaction to the playfulness. Unconsciously, she reached up and fed a fry to Yuki, the action so natural that she didn’t even register it.

Spoiler

Word Count: 260

“I couldn’t resist something so beautiful."

"It was until you ruined it."

"And…well, it was to lighten the mood."

"Lighten the mood for whom?"

Each objection from the woman came on instinct, as though it was a banter by any other day. She stirred her meal with her spoon, disgruntled still. Until--

"Oh and I licked that spoon.”

NIGHT took a breath, noticing the woman emphasize it. "I got that," she hissed back. "And thankfully for you, not everyone is saliva conscious, especially in a setting like Aincrad."

She continued watching her bowl, seething somehow familiar. Too familiar. Except now she felt like she was in someone else's position this time. Part of her wanted to grab a fry too -- with permission, of course. She wasn't going to be as abrupt as her other.

As her companion spoke, she chewed on some of her ramen, chopsticks first rather than with the spoon. NIGHT trusted in the broth, from confirmation of Nari, and the conversation was more distracting than their disruption from earlier.

Not necessarily for long.

NIGHT raised a brow at Nari's advice. Sure, it was sound, but context still had to apply. "Within reason, I take it. But I can't help you mean to say that to toy with me." She closed her eyes, taking broth into her spoon. "If that's the case, then know that's not the way you should get into someone else's heart. Surely, if you were meaning to court someone, you should know that."

One of her eyes opened. NIGHT was still unamused. "And I don't know about you, but its not like I'm completely unready due to anxiety's sake. Thank you very much for the assumption."

Nari had definitely hit a cord there. She was sure of it. And NIGHT seemed somewhat annoyed at the entire situation – which, Nari felt bad about. But…it was too late. Sighing to herself in her mind, she held up a fry towards the girl – hoping it would make the start of a peace offering.

“I’m sorry. Sometimes I do things without thinking…Well, usually I do things without thinking. I think. Just…not always before. I’m sorry.” Nari bounced the fry in her fingers unconsciously, before realising what she was doing. Pulling it back and devouring it, she pushed her plate across the table a little bit, a repressed, apologetic look on her face – or an attempt of one, at least. “Can I share a bit as an apology?”

Nari knew she would have to do something else to smooth the entire situation – she would need to ease things over here. She also knew that wouldn’t be easy now. But there was no way she was leaving everything in a state of discontent.

“I get that – wait, did you say court? – I didn’t mean it to toy with you, I meant it earnestly. Our time in this world – the real world, the virtual – it’s all limited. We don’t know what tomorrow brings, and…well, it would be sad to look back and have regrets. I…just don’t want to have those regrets. And I’m sorry for messing with you a bit, but…well, I hoped it would help dissipate some of the less than…happy moments earlier.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 251

NIGHT looked to the fry offered just as she drank from her spoon. What was she; a pet? A dog? Even she knew rationale like a person more so than a beast directed by their stomach.

So the apology afterwards was welcome. She analyzed the other, still tentative, still eating her meal, awaiting for the end of her speak. And NIGHT nodded, cooing lowly, before going back to her food. "Well at least I know you've got half a brain in there..."

... No, that response wouldn't do. With a breath, her shoulders lowered, and her head dipped slightly. "Sorry, that was harsh. What I guess I'd meant to say was -- it's sound logic, but the execution could use some work." Her eyes went to the plate offered to her, before she rolled a lock of ramen onto the spoon, dipping the noodles in soup.

"Here. Fair's fair."

Carrying the spoon across the table was one thing, until she gave her companion's words some thought. Then, she moved the spoon closer to Nari's face -- not to close -- posing an offer. NIGHT tilted her head. "I don't suppose you'd prefer being fed like this, would you?"

Nari blinked for a moment, trying to figure out if the girl was toying with her now. The spoon seemed to hover in front of her face, beckoning to her. ‘What the hell.’

Lunging carefully forward she grabbed on to the spoon with her teeth, tipping her head back slightly to devour the food that had been on it. As she did so, she turned her head slightly to the right, winking at NIGHT with a devilish look on her face. ‘Don’t push it too far…’

On her shoulder Yuki have a small chitter of displeasure at the jostling, but Nari ignored it, keeping her teeth clamped down on the spoon. She tried to speak around the spoon, but the words came out slow and muffled.

“Mine… mnow…. Gomma haf t...erm it back…” Her teeth clamped down on the spoon again as she smiled wide at NIGHT, wondering how the girl would react. “Word… hard… tongue no move good…”

At least that last bit came through somewhat clearly? She hoped.

Spoiler

Word Count: 170

Her offer had been made in good faith. She didn't know where the idea came from, giving an inch, but perhaps Nari was more than ready to take the whole mile and run off with it. So as NIGHT held onto the spoon's handle, still perplexed as to who exactly she was dealing with, her other hand reached out to the utensils basket and pulled out another spoon.

It wasn't as though Nari had been using hers.

She let her grip go on the one her companion had latched onto, more weary than entertained. And she let the tip of her unused spoon sink into the broth of her bowl before pulling a couple of fries of Nari's plate. 

"You really don't think your plans through so well, huh?" It wasn't meant as a snide remark. But so much for the thought of blackmailing -- there were more variables on the field that perhaps her companion had even been aware of at the time. Or, supposedly not imagining so, that NIGHT would be involved in strange rough housing was...

"C'mon." The handle of her new spoon hit the edge of her bowl, clinking gently as the player picked it up. "It isn't right to play with your food."

Nari blinked, watching as NIGHT released the end of the spoon and picked up another one, before stealing some of the fries. Nari’s face shifted from her devilish smile, to a look of disappointment, the end of the spoon in her mouth dropping as the smile disappeared from her face.

Pulling it out of her mouth, she placed it on the plate beneath her, before speaking up, a tinge of what could only be considered childish despondency in her words. “I wasn’t playing… well, I was. But… not the point. You know, sometimes people do silly things to make you laugh – or… to enjoy the moment.”

She hadn’t meant it to sound so sour, but as she said it she winced, realising she probably sounded like she was pouting. ‘Well, you are pouting. Like a child.’

Focusing on her food for a while, she let the sourness slowly dissipate, hoping she could somehow rebound from the last couple of moments. Everything had been going alright, but… maybe she’d been too forward. Maybe she’d already ruined her chance. The thought sent her emotions spiraling down further, that dark pit in her stomach growing.

“Do… do you have anything else planned for the day?” The words came out with a sense of hesitancy to them, as if unsure whether she should remain silent, or try and prod the conversation along.

Spoiler

Word Count: 228

NIGHT considered her words for a moment, because sure, play was certainly a concept they had to grapple with time and time again -- they were players in Aincrad, after all. But all the thought and leniency involved for it at the dinner table left her questioning what its definition was. "I don't suppose it's normal for you to do the same around friends, is it?" And even if their eve was supposed to push those boundaries, she couldn't find a scenario where it'd be fun to fight for one's food.

A brief exhale. She could see the look of disappointment on Nari's face, though she wasn't quite sure what to do with herself nor the woman on this subject. Pulling her noodles around with her chopsticks, she gave her companion a glance. "There're other ways to 'enjoy the moment', too. Other activities that are certainly better designed for play." So why this one in particular? NIGHT couldn't pin point on why.

Before she took in another spoonful of her meal, she shook her head to Nari's question. "Why? Do you?"

Nari cocked her head to the left, staring at the girl with a goofy grin again. She wondered if the girl even knew what she had insinuated…

“Other ways to enjoy the moment? I… can think of a few.” The words almost poured out as a purr, an odd tone in her voice and a glint of absolute mischief in her eyes. “If you have nothing planned, did you want to come back to my place for a bit? It’s not too far from here… I can show you around.”

Nari suddenly realised what she had just insinuated herself – and for a moment, she wondered if she should clarify. She hadn’t meant for the mischievous tone to hang around for her follow up question, but something… something had come over her. She felt herself flush softly as she unconsciously waved a fry in the air before her mouth.

She waited, eyes locked on NIGHT, wondering what the girl would do in response. Prepared to back peddle if it became obvious that she had crossed a line. ‘I’m… what am I doing? I don’t normally behave like this. This… this was always Eve…’

Spoiler

Word Count: 192

"Mm?"

Queried. NIGHT thought about the proposal for a moment. It was a miracle how the player managed to afford the estate in the first place, after all, and though she wasn't familiar with gauging housing prices, she didn't think her estimate would be too far off from the actual numbers, since she too had bought one herself.

A chew, before swallowing. General neutrality read as disappointment once the woman closed her eyes. "Sure."

After all, what could go wrong with a house visi-

-wait.

Suddenly, the implications of Nari's unfettered grin and purr kicked in, and NIGHT's eyes opened wide. It was a mix of regret and fluster in an unhealthy stir, the expression on her face a painting of intricate horror.

All further conversation that the player was liken to make -- had liken to made, for better part of careful thinking -- fell to the wayside as silence set in. And with a turn of her head, NIGHT was the first to look away. This couldn't be happening right now.

If she didn't see it, it wouldn't exist, would it?

The look on the girls face was all Nari needed to see to know that the implications had sunk in. But, she’d already agreed, and Nari could tell there was no going back now for her. Content to let the silence stretch, Nari worked away at her food, a nervous tick catching her eventually and forcing her hand to reach up and play with a tuft of hanging hair. The violet colour stood out stark against her lighten skin colour, as her fingers twirled it around, before letting it flow free – and then twirling it again.

“I… think you’ll like the place. I hope you will.” Nari said after the silence had gone on for a while. “It’s not super fancy or stocked or anything, but… it has a wonderful greenhouse, a couple of nice bedrooms and some relaxation areas. Oh, and the forge… it’s where I spend a lot of my day…”

Her voice drifted off as the sound of the ringing hammer flowed through her mind, a calming feeling following it. Even now, she partly yearned to be back in the heat, enjoying the meticulous, calming work. The rhythm providing an ease like nothing else in this world.

After some time she glanced at NIGHT with a smile, before adding, “Oh, and a wonderful bathtub of course.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 219

“I… think you’ll like the place. I hope you will.”

In truth, NIGHT had imagined she rightfully would, with the caveat that it was designed by a complete novice at the game, and hence, some features of the home would be found missing. She didn't say it, however, still stirring with regret as her eyes turned back to Nari.

“It’s not super fancy or stocked or anything, but… it has a wonderful greenhouse, a couple of nice bedrooms and some relaxation areas."

A couple of bedrooms? Some relaxation areas -- NIGHT's mind was faster to pin down the numbers and room types for such a purchase, and was quickly reminded how much space she'd dedicated for the use of others'. Oh, makeshift workshop rentals sure cluttered a few of those rooms -- so perhaps Nari did have the full suite after all. But it was only under scrutiny that NIGHT would be able to be sure.

"Oh, and the forge… it’s where I spend a lot of my day…”

While her companion was lost in thought, NIGHT thought it best to quickly finish her meal and get the evening over with, already. Though she did want to take back her word -- still, her curiosity got the better of her there, and neither did she want to be pinned as a figure who wouldn't hold to their acknowledgement once they'd given it. Do or be damned --

“Oh, and a wonderful bathtub of course.”

--Scratch that, be damned after all, the horrible flush growing on the quiet woman's face, she was going to see the agreement through.

Even if she found herself in a more than awkward position. Somehow.

Almost as a distraction, she did shy away from broaching the topic of the wonderful bathtub. "If I may ask, how did you acquire the funds?"

Nari felt herself pulled from her thoughts as NIGHT asked a question she hadn’t had to answer before – where had the funds come from? Nari thought back to the weird individual whom had provided her the gift…she’d never actually gotten his name…

“Uhm…another player gifted the funs…said it was inspiration or something…? I never really thought about it until you asked…” Her features scrunched together as she realised the fool-hardiness of such actions. She should’ve asked more – what if there were strings attached that she hadn’t previously considered? ‘Oh well, we’ll sink that bridge when we come to it…’

“I hadn’t really considered it before, it was just…a nice gesture. I assumed, at least.” Her voice carried that tone of uncertainty, as her thoughts bled through to the actual spoken words. She noticed NIGHT had rushed to finish her food, and Nari stood up, standing by the table for a moment before motioning to the door.

“I’ll meet you outside once I’m done paying and then we can head over, yeah?” A sly smile had appeared on her face, as if she had something devious planned. Her head rolled sideways slightly, resting on the form of the fox curled on her shoulder, a soft chirp of disagreement erupting from it in protest.

Spoiler

Word Count: 212

What.

The closest incident of this occurring that NIGHT could remember was when she was sending funds to ChaseR. And a little before that, Oscar had foot the bill on her own home. Speaking of those transactions, she'd known all parties involved in the trade --

-- So what was with that reckless behaviour of spending someone else's money without knowing where it came from?

NIGHT watched as the woman rose from her seat, just as her familiar whimpered. And she nodded, taking the time away from the woman to consider exactly what she was getting into. Nari was a pain -- the same type of pain you'd find when getting yourself involved with a toddler -- never mind the woman seemed to be more experienced, even more adult than she was. If the player could put down a word for the entire interaction...

Perhaps frustration would be it.

Fingers played with the tip of her ear as she quietly considered the unwillingness to move. Run. Escape. It wasn't as though she was highly uninterested in the woman, but neither was that promise of affection something to give basis of pursuit. It irked her how strange the scenario was -- she hadn't been on proper dates with strangers, not really, not in truth -- or perhaps she didn't know enough strangers to really consider the oddity her situation.

But if she had to put it.

It was like going on an adventure, escaping from daily doldrums. And somehow, knowing herself wanting to leave, she examined the tools she had on hand to incite an order to bail.

Stealth was an option. It wasn't likely that Nari could've been faster than her, though the woman was definitely shorter, and that wouldn't mean great things for accuracy if they got into a fight. Then again, neither did NIGHT find herself in a position of wanting to harm another player, but...

"She didn’t accept no."

The player could only wonder how much of the past was being repeated, in the shadow of the other, that history couldn't really be escaped from. That Aincrad had a way of initiating violence, violence that beget violence, and that even emotionally, she should be aware of the same strings that once pulled at Nari's fate.

"..."

She gave the player her word. That was important -- important to NIGHT. And in silence, the player pulled herself up from her seat, pacing over to the exits of the restaurant, hands still fast in her pockets.

Maybe dealing with new people was a mistake, she recalled herself saying. Her position on the issue still hadn't seemed to change.

So she considered -- how many more mistakes would she end up making?

Nari wandered over to pay the bills – damned be what NIGHT thought. In the seclusion from the girl, she felt herself shudder – things had not been going well. Her…over enthusiasm was getting the best of her. She needed to find a way to balance herself, to act properly. ‘What would eve say? Centre yourself, find the momentum, and hum.’

Drumming her fingers on the counter – Nari wondered how she was going to just…end this. She’d promised to take NIGHT back to show her the estate – which had seemed innocent enough to begin with, but…well, now she was wondering. She’d been far too playful already, but maybe…

Sighing, and knowing that she couldn’t stand her all night – as much as she might want to – Nari pushed away from the counter and went outside to greet her companion. She tried to force the smile back on her face as she put the counter behind her, not sure if it had the appearance of true happiness that she wanted – this social thing was hard, and Nari was remembering why she avoided it so much.

“Hey, uhm…sorry for the wait. Took longer to get everything settled than I thought…Uhm, this way!” Nari proceeded to turn left, heading towards the western edges of the city. She glanced back just to make sure the girl was following, before focusing on the path ahead of her, lost in thought as she let her feet guide her home. The face flashed across her mind again, that look once more…

Spoiler

Word Count: 251

NIGHT hummed in response, once she noticed her companion step out of the diner. Her pace seemed to parallel her own demeanor, an upbeat, steady shuffling paired with an unmoving, neutral expression. She didn't pay Nari's words too much attention to begin with, until the walk to the estate seemed to leave her attention wanting for more. Sure, the city was beautiful, but it wasn't as though the first hadn't provided for it before.

With the number of 'uhms' her leader gave her, it seemed like a reasonable guess that she might've been... hesitant?

And after making an offer like that? NIGHT didn't want to count up how many sly looks had been shot her way, and neither did she want to think about them, but then the question became: why make those moves in the first place? The tip of her tongue sat firmly at the roof of her mouth, the woman contemplating, still quiet.

It must've been awkward, walking along in the silence.

Her rushed steps were in attempt to keep pace. Side-by-side with her companion, rather than behind. And as they fell through the districts, NIGHT was still searching for words to say. An offer to back out? Did Nari mean to mess up her leave, at the very end?

Almost hoping for a prayer, her eyes drifted to the accompanying. She never did get an introduction to the familiar. "Hey," the player started, nodding towards the tiny creature, "What's your friend's name? I've been seeing them all night, but I never did catch it."