[F27 - PP] A Return to Ronbaru

“Yeah…I guess grinding is the way to go…” Her attention was drawn by the food, and her mouth fell open at the sight of it. She hadn’t expected quite this much food, and she suddenly realised she may have overdone it a little bit. Humming softly to herself in content, she picked up the chopsticks located to the side of the table, eyeing the selection before shrugging to herself and grabbing the closest piece that was available – she didn’t recognise it other than to confirm it was sashimi. Almost hesitantly she took a bite of the piece, testing it’s flavour before a soft moan escaped. “Holy shit where have you been all my life…”

She quickly finished off the piece, before making her way through the other dishes – taking small nibbles of each, but making sure to leave a few pieces in case NIGHT wanted to grab some of it. “Alright…so grinding…what are your suggestions and when can we get started”

She played with the chopsticks a bit, letting one roll over the other between her fingers as her mind considered the possibilities of grinding. She’d done her fair share – well, when it was required in a quest… But she knew NIGHT had far more experience than she did, in this specific regard. And she was willing to follow the lead – this time…

Spoiler

Word Count: 223

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"anywhere you want to go. any time."

night's comment was made in distraction, her knife working into the dessert as she ensured them divvied into equal portions. two pancakes, one stacked atop another, and the syrup added from the top only spilled in between her cuts as the stack started to dismantle itself. a bite out from the dish's top half, and she knew it was delectable.

memories came flooding back to her and she grew solemn, quiet.

a gathering of ice cream upon the second slice. and she bit into it, considering, before offering a third to nari from the tip of her fork. the ice cream hadn't threatened to melt yet, and so she wondered if this was the rumored booza that her doppel had spoke to her about one time.

"here. -- and be nice to the utensil. there's already a lot of food on the table, and i'm not about to spill any of it from some playfulness."

though her chiding was serious, so too was the look she passed to her companion, with a tilt of her head. "i told you i had stories, didn't i? if you're good, i'll go into them. this place was where i had my first meal right after completing the first lessons on my first ever visit out into the field of beginnings."

"oh, and as an added bonus, different and harsher monsters spawned at night."

The fork seemed to call to her as NIGHT held it out, and Nari had already leaned forward when she was given her warning about playfulness and losing food. Delicately – almost exaggerating the movement – she carefully took the proffered dessert, taking a moment to savour the taste before sitting back upright.

She folded her hands in her lap again, placing what she hoped was a “innocent good girl” expression on her face. “Aren’t I always good?”

She cocked her head, trying to mimic the cuteness she’d seen others do, wondering if it was coming out as ridiculous as it felt for her. She was interested in hearing the stories of times before, but she also couldn’t help messing with NIGHT a little bit – the difficult part was balancing the teasing with the proper behaviour, getting the two laid out appropriately was harder than she had imagined.

“How about a bit of story time, finish the food, then maybe head out for some grinding? I’ll admit…I’m not quite ready to finish the day quite yet. So long as you’re up to spending some more time together, that is…” She didn’t say it, but her face likely showed the hopefulness that she felt within her – she was hoping to spend a bit more time before heading home, especially with how well things seemed to be going this time around.

Spoiler

Word Count: 227

she'd snorted at the way her companion acted the part. the slightest hint of delight was apparent from her visage against the shadow of a backlit lantern. "smartass." and at nari's offer for time afterwards, night considered it carefully -- "i was going to show you around some place when it was daylight," she confessed. "but tonight's equally as fine too. sure."

her knife went back to work on her pancakes, as she contemplated on where to begin. between the sixth floor and the cafe, there was so much that the player had wanted to say, she realized, that she hadn't been able to. why was that? she'd never needed to tell the tale -- not even to those closest to her. in realizing its gravitas, it only gave weight to her understanding of her sentimentality for the past.

back then, she'd tossed aside the rules of society in an attempt to struggle through the door of her inn room. and back then, she recalled having taken a bite out of a companion's food, too. a gesture that friends do, because that was what she had been used to before aincrad.

night only chewed on her pancake and swallowed.

whatever happened to--

"so. i'd decided to take off into the fields when it was late. that's usually when everyone else happened to be asleep, after all, and i didn't want anyone else keeping watch on me. ...it was at the tutorial quests that i found my first friend after about a year of solitude."

further cuts into her meal. she took a glance to nari's platter, and decided the sweetness of her dish would only contrast the savoury taste of sushi.

"he became my mentor afterwards. a man with white hair and red eyes. yukiro was his handle, but we called him yuki on occasion." and she winced again at the recollection, for snow had its way of weaving itself into her life by one channel or another. "anyway, he guided me out to pick flowers in the middle of the night. hours right before the sun rose."

her gaze bounced to the distance. the ice cream from her newest cut was starting to drip onto the plate.

"the reason why no other players were present was because there had been manticores at that point known to come to life and ambush players." night closed her eyes. "if it hadn't been for his armor that day, i might've been left for dead. and the flowers..."

her voice trailed. she remembered the discussion she had with koga during their outing with nari and bismuth. night's gaze returned to her companion. "that's what we were discussing, by the way. koga and i, and the flowers i was looking to seek."

bells tinkled as the menus she'd commanded drifted into view. a press of a button, and the flower she'd retrieved the other day flashed to life. night set it to one side of the table, and made no further movements to shift it otherwise.

the expression on her face was stern.

"we got back once we'd collected the ingredients needed. ate at this cafe. he'd passed out right after, but that's a different story all together. my point is--" the player stopped herself, realizing she was coming up empty on that front. "-- well, i didn't really have a point about it, i suppose. but that's also how i managed to meet koga afterwards. he was part of yukiro's circle of friends."

finally, she gorged on the piece she'd been holding onto, realizing the oddity of unveiling a narrative without purpose. then once she'd downed it, she considered making one up in the moment.

"and if you're wondering -- no, we're not in contact with him any more. he was supposed to stay at koga's -- that was the agreement we had after he'd disappeared on us once. but he's off being quiet somewhere else again. we still think on him from time to time."

when night fell quiet, it was in realizing that her meal was getting cold.

Nari’s hands had frozen midair as NIGHT had begun retelling her story, not wanting to disrupt the occasion with any sort of movement that would break her focus – that would let this little insight slip away. Even as the words died off, her hands remained motionless for a moment, the piece of tamago shaking slightly as the time stretched on. Realising that the story was truly concluded, she popped the piece into her mouth, taking a few moments to finish it before daring to speak.

“A reminder of the things we’ve lost…” Her eyes were on the flower as she spoke, a thoughtful expression on her face as memories – ones that once would have reduced her to nothing more than tears – passed by her mind’s eye. She wondered if the losses had caused as much sorrow in the other player.

“I…don’t think I have anyone from my early days. Not anymore. You’re lucky to have Koga…I can see why you two are so…” The words dropped off as she wondered where she was going with her thoughts. She hadn’t meant to turn gloomy, and as she shook off the depression, she forced herself to smile again, placing on a mask hoping that it would become a reality.

“So…you mentioned wanting to show me around. I’m assuming this isn’t a tour of your house, so where did you have in mind?” The tone spoke of an attempt to tease, without the true emotions behind it – another façade that she was trying to engrain into reality. She only hoped that NIGHT wouldn’t see through it as easily as she herself was able to. “Although, if it is your house, I wouldn’t complain in the least. It’s always interesting to see where others live – it gives…well, it gives an insight into what’s important to them.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 302

Edited by Nari-Lanreth

despite all her talking from earlier, she'd finally found quiet in taking part of her meal. her eyes were set to the flower as she ate, wondering if the material had been more for herself or her friend at this point. a few buttons from thin air, and she retrieved of it from the table. hummed only as her friend was contemplating the tale, and took a drink whilst mulling over the past.

the topic change felt forced, at least. and night was facing inertia from that switch. her thoughts only lead her back to krycim, and that newly created pond not too far from the settlement.

when she last recalled it, the site of conflict had been in an abandoned building.

"floor six," she stated, brief. "mind you, given that it's literally a jungle on the city outskirts, i'd rather not go in the dark." and the player had half a mind to gather some glow stones at the very least before making the trip. night tilted her head at the notion of her home. "there's... nothing notable about it. really. even as furnished as it is, there's too much room in there to fit my tastes."

A quick nod at the notation of the floor, before the topic of the estate came up – a tone of indifference in the mention of it. And yet, Nari couldn’t help but feel as if it were an evasion of the topic at hand, as if it were something that was desired to be passed over – normally something she wouldn’t allow. But today was different, and so she let the topic drop, making a mental note that she’d come back to it later.

“Alright. Sixth floor.” She cocked her head suddenly, her mouth shifting into a sly grin as she suddenly realised something. “You know…it’s ironic that you’re afraid to be out at night. NIGHT.”

She giggled at her own joke, wondering if the other would catch the humour. Not that it really mattered, the irony wasn’t lost on her here. “So, shall we get going then?” She looked at her half-finished food, before turning her gaze back at NIGHT, sliding her plate slightly towards the centre of the table – grabbing another piece of tamago as she did so. ‘No way am I leaving this here…’

Spoiler

Word Count: 186

night reached out for her drink; the only menu item of the hour she'd be leaving empty. "oh, haha." it wasn't so much the dark, but she didn't want to have to justify her aggression for the outdoors right before the actual event. "and where else does the name 'nari' come from, pray tell?"

then came the topic of wanting to leave, and the player wondered why her companion seemed in a rush to get going. not that she had a problem with leaving the establishment early -- definitely not that. she waved down someone for aid of taking home the leftovers; she'd done the same once upon a time, and fidgeted when it came time for the bill.

no, she just didn't want to head out into the abyss of a wilderness.

"i'll foot it," night declared, once the transaction prompt came her way. "that dungeon col was enough to last us a while, anyway. you recall which route to take towards the teleporter, right?"

Nari fidgeted with her food for a moment, debating on whether to bother answering the jab or not. She knew it had been in jest, but something within her had taken it far more personally than anything else. Perhaps it was the history behind it, both hers and the name sakes. Whatever the reasoning, the reply came almost instinctually, the words sounding as if read from a book, or a deep memory.

“I’m named after my grandmother, who in turning was named after our people’s representation of foreshadowing death…more commonly known as the goddess Morrígan, to the common world. It…it’s usually given to an individual who is believe to have some sort of…well, insight into the future.” Her left hand began twirling her hair in a circle, a nervous twitch she’d picked up years ago. “Or…at least that’s what my parents and history books tell me. I guess it’s nothing more than folklore, though. Fantasy tales we tell each other. As names go though…Nari isn’t horrible. I guess.”

Once everything had been cleared away she stood up, moving towards the exit and passing a glance towards her companion. “It’s not getting too late for you or anything, is it? I mean…if you have somewhere else to be…I’d understand…” Although her words may have sounded sincere, she knew the expression on her face said otherwise – and yet she couldn’t do anything to clear it away.

Spoiler

Word Count: 235

well she hadn't expected the woman before her to have chosen a handle based off her real name, night would tell anyone that. and as if it was a trigger, she was starting to draw the connections where she wished she hadn't seen them. if she'd groaned, she kept her distress to herself, and turned away at the realization.

a part of her was annoyed at the patterns that kept repeating.

"so you're named after something akin to the grim reaper is what you're saying," the woman attempted to bring up in jest, though pivoted away from it almost immediately. "or... like a harbinger of destruction. and yet you turned to defending instead." as though puzzle pieces that they were given were slotted into the wrong holes. life was more perplexing the more they examined the details.

"As names go though…Nari isn’t horrible. I guess.”

she gave the comment some pause.

"i agree," night finally mentioned, stepping away from the entrance of the cafe. "it could roll off the tongue just nicely. not that i'd know anything about it."

“It’s not getting too late for you or anything, is it? I mean…if you have somewhere else to be…I’d understand…”

the player shook her head in earnest. "if i had to go, i wouldn't have offered to take you where we're headed." her back straightened to consider orona, however, and she followed up with her own query. "i'm assuming the same for you? we're not... heading out of obligation or whatever, right?"

“Harbinger of death? Grim Reaper…? I…guess that’s one aspect of Morrígan, but…no. To my people she’s a defender – the one who rallies others to ensure the safety of others…and, well…she’s also said to be the goddess of fate.” She followed NIGHT out the door, folding her hands in front of her as she began the walk back to the teleporter. “She’s actually seen as a good omen, a blessing, where my family comes from. Not the dark, murderous creature that the media portrays…being named after her earthen name is considered a blessing – a sign of someone who cares about others so much that they’ll defend even the helpless…”

Her energy seemed to return as they made their walk back, and as NIGHT mentioned the obvious question of the need to return home, Nari giggled. “I told you, I have no curfew. And…because you keep implying it, there’s nothing going on there. You don’t need to worry about competition.”

She winked at NIGHT, before a curious look came across her face. She seemed to consider something for a brief second, before her hands disappeared behind her back. She came to a stop, rising up slightly on her toes and giving NIGHT a quick peck on the cheek, before turning around quickly and continuing her walk towards the teleporter, hands still fidgeting behind her back, and a slight humming escaping the girl’s throat. “I hope that clears things up a bit.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 239

all of that value going into a name. night reflected on it as they strolled; the difference laid in how nari appreciated her own. the mention of her grandmother from before only allowed her to consider the closeness of family, and she wondered further about that.

if only her own had been benevolently so. instead, she nodded at the woman's explanation. "as long as those shoes you fill feel comfortable."

night wondered if she should look into it. the mythos part.

at the mention of competition, the player found herself going sheepish first, before stiffening. a twirl of one lock of her hair -- "that's not what i meant," grated in exasperation against her throat. and her friend's wink, as though to rub the notion in. night slunk back, fluster finally catching up to her. "i mean, i'm just saying. a-assuming you're already that close--"

she still had to clear things up with her housemate, didn't she?

but then the inevitable happened, where she should've caught sight of it. night didn't, unaware of her friend's movements as she struggled to pinpoint her rationale, and then suddenly things went dizzy, like the impact of two worlds colliding. and if the aftershock had ended there, the world going black on the curtain of her vision, perhaps night wouldn't have minded.

instead, time still continued trekking on, and all she could feel was the throbbing in her throat.

she found herself shaking, looking towards her friend(?), fingertips placed upon where she had been kissed. the few steps away, the soft melody -- nari passed it off like it hadn't happened.

“I hope that clears things up a bit.”

only to confirm it a second later.

night didn't know how to reply.

she was lucky they'd stepped away from the cafe. the streets of the town of beginnings were always brightly lit. and yet in the singular gap between the plaza and the other establishments down the main roads, the lighting there had been mostly natural, dark and cool.

the player was glowing red. and she hoped the world would continue to hide that fact.

"--..."

her quickened pace was to catch up with nari. uncertainty bogged her mind. and even more so was the importance for where they had to go. when she dropped her hand and reached the woman's side, it was to reach out for those fingers, finally, holding those hands in a lock.

let her be judged for this. let her be executed for it, then.

"we're going." her voice was just as broken, night unable to look at her companion as her eyes was set to the horizon, fixed to the teleporter. the tug of the other was light, yet almost forceful, because it had to be. for night's sake.

and she dragged nari to the pad, if she'd been willing. looked right at her friend with a hazy gaze as she fumbled with the skin on hers. "floor six," night commanded, the weight of her secret bearing down, tightening around her chest in that moment. "krycim."

before the light enveloped them, she added carefully in a whisper.

"i need to tell you about the gemini."

She felt the fingers grasp for her hand, intertwining with her own before pulling her forwards. The sudden touch, the warmth, the strength, all of it washed over Nari. She felt her heart beat quickly, before she was nearly swept off her feet – physically, as well as emotionally. 

Stumbling to keep up, she followed the girl down to the teleporter pad, letting herself be led up onto the platform and smiling at the girl every time her eyes shifted in Nari’s direction. She felt elation at her sudden success. Surprise, yet joy. ‘Perhaps…'

She cast the thought aside before it could take root, her eyes drawn again to NIGHT’s own, her ears tuning in just in time to hear their destination, as well as the whispered words that came after. ’Gemini? Is that a boss of some sort?’

She was just about to open her mouth and ask aloud, when the teleporter activated, her world turning into white light, before disappearing for a brief millisecond. As her vision came back, she found herself once more staring at NIGHT – this time with her mouth open.

“Oh, it’s so good to see you again, tenshi. What’s Gemini?” Her smile had spread across her face, and almost child like goofiness in her eyes as she stared up slightly at the girl. She wasn’t sure if she’d understand the nickname, but…she hoped it was a better choice. It certainly felt more fitting, to Nari at least.

Spoiler

Word Count: 236

she knew the weight of the matter had a divide between them. likewise, the question that came to her ears meant nari wasn't familiar with the quest. as she'd suspected -- calming the soul was only one part of the two pillars in night's experience as an adventurer.

she wondered what the result be of this one. if nari knew.

"tenshi?" the player tilted her head at the title, curious. "i could ask you the same thing about that." hands still locked, she guided her companion down the raised pad's steps, and strung her along with her fingers tapping on menus. she'd been saving her points for a better investment. it could be returned later.

night purchased vision in the darkness, before falling into pace with nari.

"the gemini," she began, "is a quest found on this floor. cardinal presents you with a doppelganger. you have to prove yourself worthy of living to it."

steps echoed in the spaces between her pause, coupled only with the shifting of broad leaves nearby.

"we mentioned accuracy earlier. the quest gives you a choice at the end -- to kill it, you gain disguise. it lets you take the form of what you wish to be true. the alternative is in allowing it to live."

the walk towards the ruins she'd wanted to show was lengthy. and night took the shortcuts she knew towards their destination. she hoped it would be enough.

stories were one thing. what made it real was in placing the pieces together.

night pulled open her skill menus, too. "you get concentration for your effort. it's less impactful than disguise, in my opinion. but this isn't just a warning about some quest you should or shouldn't do." she waved the interface away. "it's about what happened to me on my time away from yukiro and koga. before i met yuki. when i was most alone."

"i spared my gemini," she explained, looking to nari. "the evidence is easy to see. i wouldn't have it any other way, if you asked. but as enemies go, they're supposed to leave our reality once they've been exhausted from their use. when they've met their purpose." she blinked, trying to understand if she could phrase her issue better. "it's technological stuff. the system reclaims resources from what has been used when it's done."

her eyes drifted to the road ahead of her. "what differed for mine... was that it stayed."

‘Cycle and recycle.’ The term was something that others Nari had known would often use to describe what NIGHT had been explaining, the constant flow of ones and zeros. She had a familiarity with it, as much as someone who didn’t excel in coding could be familiar. She listened as NIGHT explained, and it took her a second to catch the oddity at the end.
“It…remained? How’s that possible…?” She considered the situation, both NIGHT’s revelations, as well as her own reactions to the thought of the quest. She had questions, and for a brief heartbeat wasn’t sure which to even ask. 

“You said that you have to choose to kill it or spare it…why did you? Spare it, I mean.” Her question caused her fingers to spasm slightly – gripping NIGHT’s hand a degree tighter for a millisecond below loosening again. Her left hand began to raise, before she realised it was being held. Letting it fall again, she lifted her right, twirling the hair on that side for a brief second before falling awkwardly again. “I don’t know the quest, but I guess it makes you go through something with this…doppelganger. Something…like the soul calming quest?”

She thought back to her time in waterfall, and everything that had occurred. Involuntarily, her hand squeezed NIGHT’s again, the memories bringing physical responses to pair alongside the psychological ones. Her heart was beating hard as she thought back to the third experience, where NIGHT herself had appeared. She’d overcome the apparition, but it hasn’t been easy. 

“This…wait, we’re not headed for it right now, right? You’re not dragging me to face myself?” Her normally high pitched voice had risen a level as her questions continued. “I…I'm not ready for that!”

Spoiler

Word Count: 288

"...i don't know."

there were many hidden variables that governed the way cardinal ran its systems. without looking into its workings deeply, at least the error in its outcome was obvious -- that it wasn't meant to happen in the first place. yet, despite the lack of rationale to consider it so, night couldn't help but continue thinking about it.

even until now. especially until now.

"i didn't... have a reason to spare it." her grasp on nari's hand loosened. "not necessarily. perhaps you have the will for a killing intent..." the woman pulled her hand away from her companion's, looking over her palm. "... but i don't."

she thought it needed to be elaborated. but an impact lodged in her throat and the memory of her fight with nari in the tournament proved her otherwise. "even held at knife point," was all she could find to clarify her position.

night's gaze lowered to turn to nari.

"it depends. i've been gathering data ever since i'd been curious. most players opt for the disguise route. when all you've got in your hands is a sword, every entity cardinal sets in your way looks like an obstacle. rarely do i hear news back from my informants about someone who's made the choice to let them go."

she swallowed. "i've never heard of anyone who's reported the same situation i'd gone through."

the two continued to wander. night thought about a redaction, but the words were stuck in her throat. a rabbit hole that went even deeper, further than she'd expect the trail to lead.

the player didn't want to acknowledge someone's life having wasted potential in her hands.

when nari piped up about their destination, night tore herself from her thoughts. "n-no, no!" she waved with two hands, with genuine concern in her tone. "i... wouldn't want to force that upon you. not without consent. ... not even if i'd wanted to with you."

she sighed, as they continued. "there's a new destination for it now. some pond, somewhere. i've only been to it once, but... no. it wasn't as precise in its execution before. i promise i wouldn't put you in danger. not on purpose."

The hand pulled away and Nari felt a moment of regret, her fingers reaching, searching for the comfort of connection that had been felt until now. Although the hand moved and reached, her ears continued to listen, taking in the information that the other was willingly giving. 

“I…don’t know what I would do. Not long ago I don’t know that I would have spared it - I had so much hatred for Cardinal…but now. Now I don’t know. Things are…different.” Nari gave a glance towards NIGHT, before continuing. “That hatred has…changed. I don’t know that it’s gone, but…it’s different.”

She looked around, taking in the sights. As NIGHT mentioned that she wouldn’t bring Nari to danger, and the woman felt herself smiling shyly, reaching for the hand again. “I know that. I just…those emotional quests are…they’re hard…”

Her eyes turned upwards as she thought back to the waterfall, the entire experience and how it had affected her. It wasn’t something she wanted to encounter again anytime soon, but she was glad she had completed it. 

“If I do face the Gemini one of these days…will you come with me? Even if it’s just for…you know, emotional support.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 197

night found herself nodding. was the gemini an emotional quest for most? she didn't know -- rather, she didn't think so, because the numbers had shown it otherwise. but it had mattered to her. it had mattered for her. and, in holding nari's hand again, the player found it enough.

her thumb brushed against the back of that held hand, a gentle and smooth rub. "it's a quest taken solo," she said, softly. "cardinal wouldn't let me have a choice." though, she gave it a squeeze back, akin to that grasp from earlier. "but if i did, know that i'd come running. since... since y'know-- you'd asked."

she'd felt terrible the moment they'd left her. still trembled at the thought of cradling nyanko in her hands. now there was new warmth there, even as she fidgeted and shook in their approach to the ruins. its crumbled walls were unmistakable as the trees revealed it, parting into an isolated grove.

it looked as though it hadn't aged a day.

"... we're here."

climbing ivys speckled the demolished building's sides. the leftovers of a grand hall, though night never got to know its purpose beyond it a battle ground for the two of them. her lock was tight upon nari's fingers, and she led her towards its interior, ceiling partially cracked open to expose moonlight upon the mossy concrete floor.

the space was familiar, a wide lane down the center with similar spots by the sides. between them were pillars; night counted them as she entered-- broken, but not purposeless. several of them still remained in tact. her eyes scanned the room, from one end to the other; broken windows half-patched up with wooden boards and framework. the faintest traces of broken glass that should've been lost to time, to the leaves that collected and swallowed the fragments into hiding. had night tried, she could've map out the corner at which she was forced into in a pinch, if she so wanted.

a shaky breath released. night did the same too with her companion's hand, starting down towards the right of the building. there, the wall had been broken, exposing a pond that acted like nature's reserve for the fallen ruins. once, sunlight had made the water glitter when she wasn't looking. now it was dull, almost murky in the dark, and though the pool was deep, it was no bigger than the fishing ponds some players kept in their back yard.

all the player had to do was reach in, soaking her arms to the sleeve. like she wasn't afraid any more, between the unknown and her past. between the pain in her windpipe and at her abdomen both. despite the familiar thumping in her chest screaming for danger, night knew she would be strong enough to accept what she'd lost that day.

in doing so, she scooped up the red dagger, blade shaped in a crescent, and pulled it to the surface. silt spilled from its flat surface, edge barely beveled, and for the second time in the derelict, she let out a sigh.

a ghost that haunted her memory. cardinal only needed to make a ceremonial recreation of it to instill fear into the back of her mind.

she rose, then. held it between two sets of fingers as she carried it back to nari. and the woman had little words to offer, examining it close, feeling the strike to her throat and the pierce of her belly once again through those darkened days. all she could do was stare at it, tracing the design of reaching curls embossed on the steel.

somewhere, in the back of night's mind, she knew she hadn't dropped the most important explanation just yet.

She felt comfort in the pressure on her hand, the constant circles bringing a euphoria of…calmness? She wasn’t sure what to call it, other than enjoyable. She felt the stress of the lack of contact release, the worry disappear. Nothing matter other than the feel of that hand, the thumb and fingers…the warmth that came with it. 

The area that NIGHT had led her to had an almost historic feeling to it, the very foundations having crumbled with what was likely supposed to be a time worn aesthetic. Her eyes glazed over the area, taking in the pillars, the worn away walls, the obvious signs of a once grand structure reduced to nothing more than a memory.

“Well, I will say it’s seen better days…” She continued to look around, her gaze constantly passing back towards NIGHT, as if to make sure she was still there. Her voice took on a distant tone as she continued to view the area. “I can just imagine what this place used to look like…”

She felt a pull at her hand as NIGHT pulled away, her heart skipping a beat for a second. She followed close behind as she moved towards a pool, bending down and sinking her arm in to collect something from beneath the surface. Nari slid closer, her hands folded in front of her finding purchase on NIGHT’s shoulder as she crowded the girl, the fingers grasping for any sort of contact.

As the dagger was pulled to the air, breaking the surface with a small ripple, Nari felt her questions rise – how had she known it was here? Why did she bring Nari here? What was the dagger? She knew the answers would come, if she was patient. Biting her tongue, she forced herself to wait, her impatience coming out only in the form of the fingers beginning to trace paths along the shoulder – unable to remain still.

Spoiler

Word Count: 319

she had two origins to begin from. night chose the fresh wound from the scar. her voice hoarse, she could barely find the words once she'd managed the confidence to say something.

"--this was her weapon. before she'd switched it for mine." discarded from use, her dopple had never once chose to bring it to light. water droplets fell onto the pond's shaken surface, agitating its reflections even more. "she promised me she'd ruin what i had dear once i was slain. --i let her go afterwards."

night wasn't quite sure what to do with the dagger afterwards. merely set it to one side, gaze hazy, before speaking again. "when i undertook calming the soul, she was my messenger. after that, a guiding star -- though not of our own wills. i'd figured she was only maintained and repurposed to deliver me succor by the waterfalls. then she stayed, to both of our concerns."

"now she's living with me."

if nari could read the expression on night's face, it was one of pain and tragedy. etched in the words that broke free from her lips were the cracks in her secret she'd so desperately wanted to hide.

"i'd named her on accident. only in due jest. and before we parted ways from the quest, she wanted to do me a favour. to let me see someone i hadn't spoken to in a long time, because i looked like i needed it. because the quest hadn't been enough as we both thought it might've. that it should've."

droplets continued to fall that pierced the water's surface. tears fell. night was on her knees, professing like it was confessional, and she found herself guilty. hoping for a prayer. a sign of forgiveness.

"a 'friend''. that dumb and stupid lesbian from ages past that chose a straight girl to favour. as though the jokes that've been made about this occurring haven't been enough of a warning, but they've never spoken how much about it that it would hurt."

her voice reached a screech, a drawn breath turned staggered -- "it sucks! --and i'd been trying to put it past my mind since forever-- and then we stay that way because it's comfortable; the status quo? because despite everything, i haven't been able to change. that i haven't been able to move on. at all."

"and i fall. over and over again." the edge of her palm wiped at the tears in her eyes. "i fall with her -- despite her -- after she moved in with me -- because i don't want to resist at the very core of my being. i don't," she choked, "no matter how many times i try to convince myself. no matter how many times i look at her, no matter how many times i distance myself away-- and-- and it's not like i didn't even try."

and all that was left of ren was a haggard soul, a worn and tired player. she whimpered, erasing the streaks from her cheeks until all that was left was swelling red skin and sticky stains.

"--and now you know." her tone was strained, paper thin, the shadow of their environment working to obscure her gaze from the image of nari in the faded reflection of the pond. "now you know why i can't give you an answer, despite the fact that i know your intentions are pure. despite the way you work through my boundaries. despite what you accuse me for -- jealousy, that malice."

"all i've got is malice for myself. and-- and i'm sorry."