The Hobby System, or Sub-Professions.

Semi Pro  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a Hobby System?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but lets add some of those professions you mention.
    • Maybe, Explain your answer

Alright, I know that last idear didn't go so well but, this one rocks. Recently, A friend of mine asked a question about having two jobs like many do IRL, and combine them to make some great. This got me thinking about the possibilities, and how to pull it off. You see Argumail is an alchemist or is aspiring one but, he is also a carpenter. Yes, that isn't even a profession ....yet! Alright get to the point now I think and, hopefully you will too, That we need to expand the cans and not the cannots. Why is that a Blacksmith can't poison his weapons? Or an Alchemist cooks his meals on a higher level? So this what proposes , A hobby system. Ex. Argumail is an alchemist but,  he is a talented at carpentry as well. This statement is saying that he is an Alchemist and Carpentry is just a hobby. 

So you might say, Arga, well what make that different then a career or profession? Well, that quite simple really, a hobby or sub profession isn't something you open a shop for but, you can sell. Ex. Asuna was 2nd in command of the Knights but, her hobby was cooking. Kirito told her, she should sell her sandwich. Pairing is easy really: 

1. Job

2. Hobby

3. What can be made from this conjunction?

So a cooking fisherman or Alchemy Merchant is anything wrong. Such is the way of life!

yeah i think this a pretty good idea. But hobbies should be something small, carpentry is like another profession that could be used to make housing items (useless for role-play sadly) Something like collecting precious stones or carving or something is a hobby. I guess you can use them to make your characters happiness go up and then get a stat bonus or something but idk it's not in the game. Normally you can just have a hobby without it being a system. I guess one could argue a profession is also a hobby considering fishing can be classified as more of a hobby but we have to follow the games rules. If you want to carve or collect stones or making furniture just do it, as long as it doesn't impact the game. 

Anyone can have a hobby and do stuff, but I think the profession system accounts the role as your 'paid job'. I think also the two jobs model falls through when you consider the second job being clearing the game or collecting mats, seeing as we do within a profession here more than one would usually, with the farming of mats and such.

However that isn't to say we can't forge poison weapons etc. maybe though having two people with those roles could make such special items together, seeing as those would be rather exquisite items.

At the moment, playing guitar is a hobby for Tristan. However when he becomes a performer, its his livelihood, farming enemy aside. Sake goes for other roles. Asuna may have been a good cook, but she wasn't a paid chef, mostly because she was frontlining and Kirito is greedy and wants her food for himself.