[PP-F1] A Pact of Silence [COMPLETE]

DIRE WOLF

aLm5sBM.pngnCwtepJ.pngCS7Gc6h.png

It was a game of chance, and a game of speed- the wolves outnumbered little Mari; and that put them at a great advantage, with all three on the attack now. The wolf which Mari had just recently hit, attacked first, attempting to snap at her feet.

• Rolled a 5 on the d10 (mob) dice. FAIL

It failed, tripping on another wolves paw, gave a yelp and joined the pack, circling the girl. The other wolf snapped first at its comrade before charging toward Mari, snapping at her left leg.

• Rolled a 7 on the d10 (mob) dice. SUCCESS
    -1 DAMAGE

It successfully latched on, globs of dirtied drool dripping onto the girls shoe. It bit down hard till a sickening crunch was heard, at that it finally let go.

The third wolf, the one with full HP, and seemingly the larger of the three paused, howling loudly, the other two mimicked the howls, and their cries echoed around the field, it was slightly unnerving for Mari. The third one lunged at her neck, its hairy, greasy body pushing it's entire weight onto Mari who toppled to the floor, pinned under the creatures great weight.

• Rolled a 10 on the d10 (mob) dice. CRITICAL Damage +2
    -3 Damage

Dire Wolf A - 3/5
Dire Wolf B - 1/5
Dire Wolff C -5/5

Mari: 8/15 HP

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mari screamed, falling down onto one Knee she dropped her dagger, pressing her hands into the wolves skull in an attempt to pry it off her leg. Her fingers slipped into its maw and she finally tugged it off of her leg.  Before she could recover, or retrieve her weapon the third wolf attacked, knocking the breath out of her as it jumped straight on top of her, pinning her to the ground. 

It stared down at her, beady yellow eyes  glowing. Mari was literally staring down the face of death. It snorted, and Mari choked slightly on its hot breath, it smelt rancid, like decay and rotten flesh. A plump pink tongue wiped out, licking the girls cheek leaving a line of wet drool across her face before it bit down into her shoulder blade;

Mari gave a loud, shrill cry again, body arching in pain as tears brimmed in the corner of her eyes.

L was done at the inn, he had his fill and was well rested, he wanted to get back to floor 9 as soon as possible to continue his journey. He back at the woman who seemingly mocked him, no one had ever dared mock him before except Kazuya and even then Kazuya still knew not to pester his superiors. He couldn't really get mad at her but he couldn't help but curse her as he walked out of the city, he didn't even know her name. 

On his way through floor 2 his train of thought was interrupted when he heard a cry of pain, he made a run for the source and there she was, pinned to the floor by a hungry wolf. His eyes went wide and his heart sank "YOU STUPID FOOL!" He once again put his blade behind his back "Fell Crescent!" He travelled across the grassy plain faster than the human eye could see and without warning put an end to the wolfs miserable life. He stood with his back towards the woman as a mirage of gold polygons lifted into the air. He was breathing heavily and his shoulders were tense, it was surprising how quickly this woman could agitate him. He turned his head and glared down at her. He wanted to shout at her but he was overwhelmed by emotion, he opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

He gritted his teeth and faced the other two wolfs. They snarled at him but soon became wide eye'd and wary when they saw his coat made from the fur of a pitch black Alpha wolf. They didn't circle him because they feared getting too close but simply paced side to side unsure of their next move snapping their jaws trying to intimidate the flustered and furious warrior. 

~Attack success! 

~Wolf: 0/5 DEAD
~Wolf: 1/5
~Wolf: 5/5

~Life: 19/19
~Mari: 8/15

Mari took a deep breath, feeling the weight disappear off her chest - she gulped in breaths of air; scowling at Life, sure - he had just saved her life - but he wasn't very chivalrous about it. Not that she expected any sort of heroic chivalry, that'd probably frustrate her even more. Perhaps it was how easily he managed to take down the wolf, that was the thing that annoyed her. She struggled fighting off all three, and he sliced into one, wiping it out in a single blow.

Life continued to glower at her, he looked as though he was about to say something, but with a slight shake of his head - he turned his back on her to face the other wolves.

Oh no, oh no - he was not going to best her so easily. Despite the sheer amount of pain she was in, Mari pushed herself up off the ground - coughing as she did so. Her shaky hand found the dagger as she stood on quaky legs. Mari bit her lower lip as she gulped in another breath of air. Standing beside L now, she was clearly struggling from the aching wounds she had. "I still ha-have half my health yanno..." She muttered bitterly, before hissing a low, forced "Thanks."

Mari charged at the closer wolf, collapsing ontop of it as she drove the dagger into its muzzle, twisting it as she jutted it further down.

• Rolled a 9 on the d10 (battle) dice. CRITICAL SUCCESS +1 DAMAGE
    -3 Damage

The wolf gargled, before bursting into a fray of pixelated polygons, and Mari collapsed onto the floor - landing on her hands and knees. "Heh..."
Two down, one to go. Mari wondered if she could have actually taken them all on her own, 

Wolf 1 0/5 DEAD
Wolf 2 0/5 DEAD
Wolf 3 5/5

Mari: 8/15
Life: 19/19

He was clearly annoyed at her carelessness, he wasn't one to talk considering he had to face an alpha wolf and barely escaped with his life at her level but she wasn't the fighting type, or at least thats how he saw her.He took a step closer to the beast and it kept it's distance as it eyed hungrily at the weakened state of the woman as she killed its partner. "Don't push yourself, you don't have to prove anything" When she thanked him a small but noticeable smile edged its way on his face, he felt satisfied with it, he could tell it took some effort. He eye'd the last wolf with a smirk and stutter stepped in place confusing the beast for a split second allowing him to duck out from the beasts field of view. He dashed forward and appeared next to the beast, blade in hand as its head turned slowly and uncertain. He flung his arm out leaving a large gash across the wolfs sides as his blade travelled across its slender body. It yelped and stumbled to find it's feet now starting at the man with hatred and anger.

~Attack success! 

~Wolf: 0/5 DEAD
~Wolf: 2/5

• Rolled a 7 on the d10 (battle) dice.

Wolf

aLm5sBM.png

The last wolf looked in disbelief as it watched it's pack get slaughtered, the man turning the tide of battle. It snarled at him, it was almost like a consuming rage. He wanted this man dead more than anything. It walked back a bit unsure of what to do but soon rage would take over. The boy stepped forward and it nearly panicked. It had a trophy of the pack leader covering it's body, like it was some kind of sick and twisted joke. It ran forward jumping at him with its jaws wide open. A kind of leap of faith in hopes to land its mark. The boy didn't falter as he simply stuck out its blade taking the hit but dealing damage back to it. It's eyes were wide with disbelief as it slipped away from its virtual consciousness.

~Attack Parried! 0 damage dealt (1damage -1 damage mitigation) 2 damage taken!

~Wolf: 0/5 DEAD

• Rolled a 8 on the d10 (battle) dice.
  • Rolled a 6 on the d10 (mob) dice.

Mari pushed herself back on her feet, frustrated. "D-Damn right I don't have to prove anything, especially to you, black bird." She muttered. She wasn't doing this to prove anything to him. She was doing this because she wanted to, she wanted to fight. Despite not being a big fighter she wanted to manifest her own strength, to be able to show herself she could go out on her own without having to bother with the pleasantries that came with dealing with other people. 

Mari waited for the wolf to attack, now it was confused. Disorientated. And its defences open. Mari gripped her little dagger tightly in her little fist, ready to charge at it, to give it the finishing blow; but again, Life beat her to it. He parried the wolfs attack. 
The canine burst in a flurry of blue and gold before her, and at that Mari gave a sigh. Wiping her brow. "That..w-was unexpect-urgghh." Now the adreneline of battle was over, the pain and nausea of the fight had caught up to her. Mari clutched at her shoulder, which didn't show any physical signs of damage - but still hurt.  Mari glared at Life, then to the ground, angry that she had let herself get hurt so easily.

"I Suppose you want pick of the loo-ugh..loot then? Since you slaughtered most of them." She grumbled. Mari was in no condition to argue with the man.

He ignored her comment about not having to prove anything and turned around decorously and shrugged "If you say so" He kind of liked that name black bird, it was growing on him. When she continued he sighed, he had obviously damaged her pride. She also seemed confused at his strength, there was a reason he had his position after all. He examined her carefully. "You ok?" When she gripped her shoulder he frowned, he didn't like seeing her in pain at all despite his disdainful tone. She seemed concerned about the loot, it was her battle even though he did kill them all, he really didn't care much for low level drops or Col. He only ever kept loot when fighting bosses or sub-bosses to obtain uncommon items as well as rare materials though his inventory was already maxed with them. "Not at all, i've got enough of my own. Feel free to help yourself as much as you'd like" He rubbed the back of his head tilting it slightly "You really should get those tended to, you never know when a PK'er will come or other forms of unsuspecting trouble" He looked up at the sky and pointed to a few large bird like creatures flying off in the distance. 

Mari rubbed her shoulder, it ached, her torso ached - and although she was standing it was clear that putting weight on her leg was hurting her. Despite all that Mari groaned, stating that she was fine. "I'm f-fine. Health heals after battle right?" She asked. "B-besides, gotta get used to this, now is as good of a time as any." Mari had lost the bite to her tongue, her mind more focused on dealing with the physical pain she was experiencing. 

When Life told her she could loot the wolves she began to do so; the first one;

• Rolled a 18 on the d20 (loot) dice. 

It was a wolf pelt, it didn't seem to have any effect except for an aesthetic appeal. Similar to what Life wore. She held it up, giving a distasteful tut. "Wonder if I could dye it a pastel colour..."

• Rolled a 5 on the d20 (loot) dice.
  • Rolled a 8 on the d20 (loot) dice.

"The amount of times I get nothing..." Mari muttered to herself, as she found that the last of the loot dropped yielded nothing. "It's freakin bull. We're fighting for our lives here, the least I could get is some damn meat or something..."

Sitting back on the ground Mari groaned, rubbing her leg. "Tended to...bah...." She didn't bother to follow Lifes gaze or to where he was pointing, instead she just shot him a dark look. "Why should the little black bird care?" She gave a snide lop sided smile, "I'm not strong, nor do I belong in your stupid guild." Mari grimaced again. "F-for a guild whose ideals state they are not to show disrespect, ya'll sure don't follow them. Argumail's probably the worst of the lot, and whe's what - your Leader ?" 

He wasn't sure how to answer her, he knew she meant but he wasn't sure how to deal with it. "I do care.. as strange as that sounds. I think it doesn't matter who, everyone has a purpose. I don't know what Argumail said but strength comes with time.. It's never too late to improve yourself. My guild's just full of egotistical self centred boys. Everyone matures eventually Im sure they will too but as long as I can lead them to safety and victory then i can assure that one day they'll turn into fine men" He paused for a moment not sure how to continue, he rubbed the back of his head and looked at her carefully. "Argumail is Argumail.. he kind of just does what he want and as long as you leave him alone to do it he's happy.. Promise me you'll take care of yourself ok..?" He couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth, this was not the cold vanguard people usually saw and respected.

Mari quirked a brow, "That does sound strange, coming from your mouth...or from anyone in the Crimson Inquisition." Mari muttered bitterly. She had her fair share of run ins with other players, and thus far, the so called righteous guild had mad a not so righteous name for itself. Mari sighed, the pain was beginning to subside, she threw herself back into the grass, shifting side to side to make herself comfortable. "Tis not exactly what he said, insults aside. It's his attitude." Mari mused, "I'm not a nice person, but I'm not some bloodthirsty beast either. I don't see the point in threatening violence, death. What the hell is that going to achieve? Arrogance pisses me off to no end." 

Mari closed her eyes, wincing as she shifted her weight again, she had planned to use her arms as a pillow, but they still throbbed with a numbing pain. "Last I heard, Argumail was their leader - might want to give you guild mates a heads up, I'm sure you'd hate it if word got out that two of its most prominent members were self confessed bloodthirsty killers. I have half the mind to spread that around."

Mari's eyes shot open when Life, seemingly awkward had mumbled words to her, asking her to take care of herself, Mari didn't exactly mean for it to come out as bluntly as it did, but the question caught her off guard? "Uh- Excuse me?"

He closed his eyes and smiled "Never mind, just thinking out loud" He sat down next to her and looked up at the sky, knowing what the inquisition had planned there was a lot of work for them to get done. A guild simply doesn't become the largest and strongest and does nothing with their power, that's how many great civilisations fell in history. Once you get going you can't stop, there's no chance turning back. "Don't worry too much about the threats of others, the world is clear and beautiful if you can just wipe away the stains from your view of it" He closed his eyes and laid on the grass, his plans could wait for now. "Even if they knew we were killers.. would it change anything? Who's going to stop us? We don't plan on actually killing anyone either way, I wouldn't have joined otherwise.. yes I know it's a bit hypocritical considering I just said I joined them for their strength but Im strong enough to take care of myself. I want to wipe away the stains of this Earth and realise its beauty.. i know it's there, i can feel it" He sighed faintly, his eyes still closed.

Mari scoffed, "Trust me black bird, they don't scare me in the slightest. They just irk me. " Mari shook her head, feeling the blades of grass tickle her cheek. "Pret-ty sure the world stopped being clear around the time of the renaissance." The pink haired girl crinkled her nose in distaste as she caught Life sitting next to her out her peripheral vision. Mari shuffled, choosing to sit up to be on the same level as Life.

"Guess one of you are lyin' then. Both Argumail and Kazuya have boasted about how many lives they've taken. Somethin' don't add up and the entire guild stinks of something fishy." Her icy orbs challenged him, unwavering, unafraid. "Present company included." 

Mari glanced down at Life as he decided to lay down in the grass too. Just as she had done. "You're beginning to sound awfully cocky there, blackbird." Mari chided. "It took one man to fall an empire, the Crimson Inquisition is only as strong as it's weakest link." Mari glanced away, adding in an annoyed tone. "Honesty..." Mari pulled up a handful of grass, turning to Life and putting them on his face.  " Maybe I should make it a goal, personal vendetta if you will, to watch your entire band of pompous misfits fall." Her word were callous, but her tone of voice tired, strained. 

He spat the blades of grass out and wiped them off him "Thanks"  He wasn't sure how to respond. He cracked his knuckles and his neck, it was a bad habit he seemed to pick up while working with his father and bit the bottom of his lip  "There's a difference between cockiness and a strong confidence in the truth.. uhh... I didn't get your name..." He stared at her awkwardly, he wasn't sure what she thought of him but in truth no one really knows when they'd see each-other again, maybe never? In this death game it was survival of the fittest, if you weren't fit to fight you're not fit to survive. She might believe in the downfall of the Inquisition but he only believed in a steam roll, there wasn't much of anything anyone could do to stop them, that was the cold facts. There was no police, there was no army, there's just players, there's just them and that was the truth, the strongest guild held authority and power to do what they wished. Who was going to stop them? Kayaba himself?

Mari gave a wry grin, leaning forward to hug her knees. "You're welcome black bird." She paused when he asked for her name, she didn't know his full name, hence why she had started calling him black bird, Mari, being the gal she is answered his question with one of her own. "That depends," She began in a sly tone. "Is your name really just L? Or is it some sort of nickname?" She asked. Mari twirled her hair around her finger, something she did often. "Isn't it the gentleman's code to introduce himself before asking a lady of her name?" 

Mari gave a soft laugh, "I suppose; you aren't the worst person in that trainwreck of a guild, but I may just have to follow through on my threat, get a few members. Perhaps forge ties with other guilds. I don't want the strongest guild - just something to put a little...." She paused, flicking a pebble up onto Life's chest. "A spanner in the works."

He snorted in disbelief and caught the pebble "We also have our own alliances, such as with the guardians of aincrad, they're new but they have some strong players. Feel free to follow up as much as you'd like" He was hesitant for a moment to answer her question, he wasn't sure if she meant his real name or his username. "L is just an acronym for my username, Life. Short and sweet, a name that holds much meaning and non at all" He smiled awkwardly forgetting about the chivalry part. He bowed over with a hand to his chest "M'lady" He smirked and examined the pebble and thew it gently passed her head, his smirk turning into a grin. "You know, i bet deep down under that rough exterior, you've got a big heart" L wasn't the type to say things he didn't mean, he was honest and spoke with his heart it was just that most of the times his heart was cold. 

The girl shrugged, "Snort all you want." Mari leant over so her form was looming over Life, shadowing his upper half from the light. "I'll follow up, and through - I may fall and burn, but that's half the fun, no?" She remarked cooly. "Life huh? Mine's Mari." She shifted, sitting back down in the grass. Mari quirked her chin upward as Life tossed the pebble past her face. She cleared her throat, imitating Kazuya's voice, mockingly.

"Do that again and you will invoke the wrath of Hellfyre, pathetic peon."

When she leant over him he looked to the side slightly embarrassed, she seemed to not understand the consequences of failure, but what was she going to do to stop them? He looked back when she sat back onto the grass. Ah, Mari.. so that was her name, it had a nice ring to it. "What a refined name.." He wasn't sure if it held any extra meaning but he didn't want to press real life details at the moment. When she intimidated Kazuya he almost died of laughter grabbing his sides. He calmed himself down and gave it a turn "Do you dare summon the Demon King from it's slumber!.. You're lucky he's holding me back!" He smiled like he never smiled before, this was the most fun he'd ever had since coming into SAO and all coming from this seemingly deceptive young woman. He came to a pause and stared thinking for a moment then shook his head faintly "Is there somewhere you wanted to go Mari? I think it's starting to get late" He didn't want to sound rude, he was just simply checking to see if she was busy or if he was holding her up from anything. The sun seemed to set off in the horizon giving of a golden shine onto the grassy plains they sat on. A peaceful breeze rolled over the two. Her presence was an unexpected and exquisite delight.

((Yay 400th post!))

((Yay irrelevant numbered post! Also congrats))

Mari stifled a laugh as he continued her twisted joke, demeaning his underling so easily. Her words and tone seemed to amuse him greatly. The youth had doubled over in laughter, gripping at his sides. "Careful, not sure if dying of laughter is a thing here." Mari mused, glancing down and noticing that her nails were again, dirty- frowning she started to pick at them. "Keep talking like that and I may just have to add you to the list of people I avoid." She mused to herself, preoccupied with her nails.

"Nowhere in particular, I wanted to vent my frustrations; and I've done that. It seems I've gained a level since adventuring today; I might see what is on the 3rd floor, I am not sure though."

He smirked at her boldness she was such a tease. "Im always on peoples list on people to avoid, it wouldn't make much of a difference if you did either way. Apparently I'm cold, ruthless and insane when the truth just may be I'm the most sane person on this damned floating castle" He stood up looking at her with a sheepish grin as he mentioned being the only sane person in the game. He dusted himself off and thought for a moment, it was getting late and he had places to be early in the morning, his plans for floor 9 would have to wait for another day. It's not like he regretted it though, for the time he spent and what it was worth.. he enjoyed himself quite well despite their scornful attitudes towards each other.

He stretched looking out at the sunset whilst yawning, his back turned on her. He looked back down at the girl, his amber eyes blending in with the sunsets radiating light. "Well Mari.. this was an interesting encounter, I'll definitely remember you for when you finally throw your wrench into our so called works.. or should i say pebble?" He let out a soft huff. The whole time he was with her he didn't have a single vision of blood or death, something very rare indeed. He felt the need to compliment her but he decided to keep to their contemptuous friendship. "Should i see you again, i'd suggest a paper bag for that blinding pink hair of yours" He smirked again playfully and rubbed his chin. He ignored her next comment and made up an excuse of some sort. "I should probably be going now, wouldn't want to keep my pet rock waiting now would I. Chiao Mari~" He turned away quickly and began to amble away waving his hand behind him, the suns golden light falling behind him.