[OP-F1] Where absolutely nobody knows your name (Complete)

Asagi wandered around the streets of this starting city, his major objectives were a quick list in his head.

1. Find out information about the surrounding areas and mobs that are best to grind.
  2. Learn of any special requirements or hidden quests he can utilize to increase survivability.
  3. Gain some comrades worth his time to insure success in previously established endeavors.

Stopping to think for a moment Asagi remembered he had not messaged the one person he would be able to rely on in this game.  Waving his hand he brought up his menu screen and selected the message center.  Creating a new message he typed out...........

"What was Alyssa's freakin username again?  Hmmmmmm ah yes Lessa."

Typing his new message to Lessa he was hoping that his IRL friend would be of help in this dire situation

-Alyssa this is Asagi, with all of the mess happening at the moment I hope you notice and receive this message in good health.  I am currently in the floor one City of Beginnings and will find a meeting place suitable to rest and formulate a plan.  Please tell me you are ok and I hope we will be able to reunite for a meeting soon.

As he exited out of the message center he added a friend request towards Lessa as well before closing his screens.  Searching around it was not long till he came upon a quaint little tavern that seemed populated by other less panicky members of the SAO populace.  It was decided this would be his first location of true player interaction.

Mari yawned, she was sitting in the tavern, in a corner flooded with sunlight: Her pink bob bouncing slightly as she rocked back and forth on the chair legs. A bored expession on her face. The girl was still learning the ropes of the game; and it seemed everywhere she went, members of the Guild of Inquisition were not far behind. She disliked the guild, she disliked most of the members of the guild.

Her lightly glossed lips fell into a pout; as her sapphire eyes lowered to her table, she was tracing the outline of an empty plate with her finger. 

A stranger had come up to her, Mari batted her eyes sweetly, and they exchanged a short conversation; the man had left, and mari had what looked to be a few rolls of steaming bread, oozing with golden butter. Smiling now, Mari leaned back on the chair, eyes following the man till he left the tavern.

"Sucker..." 

She muttered

Yuji just got back from F2. His throat is dry now thanks to the hot weather there. On top of that,there's no tavern on F2.

"Ughhh,I have to go far just to drink...."

He enter the tavern and quickly grab the nearest chair.

"Give me the usual orange juice please!"

He look around and see the pink girl. Remembering the incident he witness that involve her fighting with some guild members,he decided to avoid making eye contact with her.

"Uh oh..Better stay low for now."

His drink finally arrive. He drink quietly while watching the surrounding.

Entering the establishment it seemed rather lively considering the situation at hand.  Since he had yet to do much other than get a lay of the land Asagi's money reserves were less than ideal, even so he had received that beginner's starter pack which supplied him with the essentials.  As he walked along he noticed a few people eating on some delicious looking buttered bread.  He wondered if these extraneous items such as cream were quest related, merchant sold, or a craftable from the cooking profession.  Either way he realized that some of these people had been progressing faster than he had anticipated.  Suddenly a vision caught his eyes among the rauckous rabble of other players.  A pink haired beauty who seemed to be eerily calm, that only made her more intrigueing.  It seemed she had of these buttered (or whatever the hell item it was) rolls in front of her.  Perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone in his opinion.  Walking up to the table non-chalantly he decided to venture into the breach.

"Excuse me my dear beauty, I couldn't help but notice the vibrant pink of your hair that could make pale the most aestheticly pleasing of sakura.  I am a bit new here and wanted to start a bit of a tater-tate with you.  I saw these buttered rolls among some of the rabble here and Im wondering if I could partake in one since I have yet to encounter them myself.  Surely a ravishing beauty like you wouldn't mind some good conversation and sharing in your obviously splendid taste in delicacies?"

Asagi may have been laying it on a bit thick but he couldn't really help himself now could he?  A pretty girl and a delicious meal were relying on his linquistic ability right this moment.

Mari glanced up as someone approached the table, a smiling man – who looked to be in his early twenties smiled down at her from behind dishevelled ebony bangs. He started talking, laying on the pleasantries extremely thick – it took all of the girls willpower not to fall out of her chair laughing. She wasn’t sure if he was being sincere, or simply wanted to join her for lunch. Either case he had laid it on thick. He spoke with a slight accent, his word taking on a honeyed tone. The girl raised a brow. His words seemed so articulated they seemed rehearsed, as though they were muttered countless times, to countless women before her.

Mari slowly picked up one of the two remaining rolls, breaking a part off and chewing it pensively in front of him. How should she play this? Should she put on the sweet and innocent ploy? Or be her usual crude self? He didn’t seem like the person to bother with trivial facades, and if he was laying it on this thick – she could only imagine how the tides would turn if she had batted her eyelashes sweetly and spoken meekly toward the confident man.

“Oh MY” Mari gasped as she placed the back of her hand over her head, pretending to swoon. “Such words do make my heart flutter, ah, why does thou make my heart skip beats with a mere breath?” She spoke in a sarcastic tone, finishing with a slight snort.

Gesturing to one of the three empty chairs around her Mari added, “Just sit. Cut the philanthropy and I may be so obliged to give you one, sweetheart.” Mari shrugged. “After all, I did just talk my way into a gentleman such as yourself giving them to me.”

Peering over the man's shoulder she noticed another youth sitting at a bar giving her an odd look, she held up the roll to him , as though she was making a toast, giving him a smirk before taking another bite from her meal.

As he look around,he see a man entering the tavern. He look around before he notice the pink girl and approach her. He say something at her,but Yuji can't hear it. From the looks of it,the man is flirting around. The pink girl didn't seem to be amuse. She then look at Yuji's direction and held up the roll.

"Looks like she notice me..."

Feeling that avoiding her attention will be useless and rude,he stand up and approach the man and the pink girl. He talk to the pink girl first,apologizing for his rude manner.

"Uh....sorry if I look like a rude guy to you.... I was watching you yesterday and when I see you hear,I want to avoid trouble.Guess that didn't work.."

He then proceed to introduce himself to both of them.

"My name is Yuji. Nice to meet you two."

(OOC: Sorry for the late reply. I was crushing players in BGO)

As the girl responded in a sarcastic tone Asagi smirked, it seemed she wasn't devoid of humor atleast.  The words rolled off her tongue almost a fluently as they did from his own mouth.  Indeed he was correct that this woman was something to be interested in, and not just for her beauty either.  As she offered a seat Asagi sat himself down on the digital furniture, even here they knew how to make a bar chair as uncomfortable as the genuine article.

"Well my dear it seems with your demeanor and knack for the spoken word we may make a thespian of you yet.  I also appreciate the kind offer to share your bounty with one such as myself."

Looking over his shoulder he could no longer see the man that had scampered away previous to Asagi's approach.  It seemed that these sad men simply felt the need to give token favors to a woman and believed that would imprint themselves upon their good graces.

"As for you saying you got them from a gentleman like me, I believe you are overestimating my level of gullibility.  More than that I imagine you would have difficulty managing something out of a man who does not have more than a beginners pack to his name."

Asagi chuckled at his own sense of wit, or atleast what passed for a good joke from him.  Suddenly it would seem that another member of the barfly community was ready to engage the ravishing beauty before him.  This was not apparently a chance encounter judging by the words spoken by this man.  As he was seeking information and a network of connection Asagi decided that the interruption was if not invited, decidedly useful.

"Well then my good man, if the lady does not object I say pull up a seat and don't be so hesitant with your words.  I myself couldn't refrain from engaging in conversation with this dear girl either so I can hardly deny the same courtesy."

Looking back to the table Asagi realized that indeed those rolls did look quite good, and not just that, it smelled delicious as well.  The game apparently had the olfactory input doubt to a fine science as well.

“A knack you say~” Mari sang, “My, oh my – I know people who would sorely disagree with you. Don’t mistake my offering with kindness, I may just ask for you to return the favour.” She added with a wink. Mari pushed the buttered roll toward the man before her. “Is that a challenge I hear? Maybe I should try to charm my way into your beginners pack.” The girl leaned forward over the table, gathering his tousled hair in her fingers and slowly combing it back out of his face, words falling her lips in a sly whisper. “Lucky for you, there’s nothing there I want.”

Sitting back down Mari watched as the other boy approached the group, he seemed timid; shy, and commented on her behaviour the other day around the Crimson Inquisition. She took another bite into the bread roll, free hand twirling peach tendrils around her perfectly manicured finger. “Oh sweetie – you’re not rude – awkward, bashful – but not rude.”  Mari placed the half eaten roll on the plate and pulled her chair up closer to the table. “Feel free to sit down, flightless birdy.” She added, giving Yuji a nickname. “So you think I’m trouble?” Mari purred, “despite that you’ve come and joined me, look at you being all strong and independent.” She teased. “You’re the first man to properly introduce himself to me, kudos to you, little Yuji.”

Mari lightly chewed her lower lip, looking at the two before her, this would be a good chance to start swaying people toward her, and away from the self proclaimed most powerful guild in SAO. “So, Cassanova, flightless birdy…how do the two of you feel about a little proposition?”

Yuji seems lost as the girl call him flightless birdy. He don't know why she would call her that. Both of them offer him to sit down.

"Uhh.. thanks for the offer."

He pull a chair and sit across the girl and the...Casanova. He think that the Casanova fits him for his flirty attitude. Getting sidetrack by his own thought,he shake his head and try to get back into the conversation.

"Bartender,another juice please!"
"A little proposition.....? Well I'll let the Casa..I mean the guy speak his mind first. I'm not good in conversations you see....."
"What should I call you both anyway?"

Yuji then look at the Casanova and the girl,waiting for them to speak.

L was walking along the top of the staircase to the taverns spare bedrooms, and leant over the edge of the wooden railing to overhear an interesting conversation, he had heard the word proposition, it was obviously his que to make his entrance on this little gathering. There were two men, one he had never seen or heard of and one he had seen but never talked to, the woman was Mari, the deceptive yet charming in more ways than one lady he had met on two occasions strangely befriending her. The man which had not spoken to nor seen before made him cringe, his words where cliché, someone like that wouldn't go very far in a world like this, especially when the Crimson Inquisition had eyes and ears everywhere.

He jumped down from the railing dropping down next to Mari. "What do we have hear, forgive me for my intrusion Mari but i couldn't help but overhear a proposition being made and i felt the need to include myself" He was talking to the two boys more than he was at Mari, he looked over at the two other boys, one was full of himself the other without enough. "My name or status isn't important at this current moment but you all may call me L" He crossed his arms and looked down at the rolls, they looked delectable but he wasn't here for pleasantries, if there was any form of business being made he was sure to get a cut of it.

She was on the fourth floor when she read his message.

Lounging in the inn that her guild called home, Lessa had dedicated the entire morning to relaxing. The level grinding that had been occupying much of her time had worn her out, and she was looking forward to having a blank to-do list. The message that she received, however, changed her plans in an instant.

"Asagi?" She screamed, her blue eyes widening. The blonde leapt to her feet, spilling the contents of her lap onto the floor. Her notebook clattered to the floor with a soft thud, and her pen rolled across the stone floor. "No no no no no," she muttered, abandoning her warm, cheerful room. Without a moment's hesitation, she bolted through the inn, and out the door. Bursting into the bright sunlight, the cold did not slow her at all. She could not stop. She had to check on him.

She and Asagi were not best friends. They had gone to school together, and she knew of him, but she would not consider him part of her "inner circle." None of that mattered. He was someone from the real world, a familiar face, in a cruel, foreign world. The thought of meeting someone from home both delighted and terrified her. Delighted, because she wanted even a sliver of familiarity. Terrified, because she was terrified for him. Lessa had naively believed that SAO was a burden she would shoulder alone. She had never dreamed that someone from home would join her.

Long strides carried her to the first floor. She had not even taken the time to write a reply, so it took a while for her to find him. But when she did, she recognized him immediately.

"Asagi!" She cried out, slowing to a halt beside him. Her face was flushed from exertion, but the concern in her eyes was painfully clear. "What are you doing here?"

The conversation had turned a bit more casual and Asagi got the feeling it would not be such a challenge to make connections with these two.  He was not quite sure about this Yuji fellow as of yet but the girl was a spectacle to behold.  Asagi believed that it could be a fortuitous comradery with her if he could properly broker it.  As she pushed over one of the rolls he was pleased to see the act of generosity, even if said item was not obtained by her personally and therefore had little great value to her personage.  It seemed she wanted to play the seduction game which he must admit was not an unwelcome sight.  Either way he had to remember to remain careful among these people, there was only one individual he was sure of in this game and he had yet to hear from her.  This proposition that she spoke of did intrigue him though and he wanted to learn more about her intentions.

"A proposition you say?  Well that all depends on what your aiming at darling.  Thank you kindly for the food as well.  My name is Lotharian, you must think me awefully rude for foregoing the introduction until now, with the situation at hand it must have slipped my mind.  Now on to this proposition of yours, I might be interested, but I don't just blindly agree to things without a few details.  I hope you don't take it personally sweetheart."

Taking a moment he bit into the roll and was very pleasantly surprised.  They had spared no detail on even the simplest of items it seemed in this game.  The flavor was phenomenal and the spread was indeed a very welcome addition to the experience.  After chewing he looked up with a smile.

"Why isn't this just delicious, any chance that you know where to obtained more of this spread?  I assumed three possibilities about this item, either it was quest related, NPC sold, or a combination craft through cooking, being at a disadvantage information-wise I would be greatly appreciative if you could shine some light on the matter."

As he finished his sentence it seemed another had chosen to make an abrupt entrance into the conversation.  A strange man with an air to him that didn't fully sit well with Asagi entered into the frey.  He addressed the young lady as Mari and himself as L.  Seems someone was a fan of the classics of manga, L had been a pivotal character from a series in start of the century.  Still his sudden intrusion and interest in the proposition made it all too obvious he had been easedropping with no little bit of interest in the gathered group.  Asagi would need to remember this man.

"There is no need for blatant falsities L, if you had not MEANT to overhear than you would not have heard this conversation in a crowded tavern.  Furthermore instead of awkwardly standing there may I suggest sitting down and speaking your peace and current intentions towards the beauty over here."

It was then that a familiar voice finally wrung in his ears.  Calling out his name the voice came from across the room, as he spun his head around a welcome site greeted him, his old classmate and the one real world tie he knew of in here.  Alyssa had obviously gotten his message after all.  The girl rushed over to the table and stopped next to him with heavy breathes, it was obviously she had ran much of the way here.

"Im so glad you okay darling, I hadn't heard from you so I was getting concerned given the situation."

She caught her breath and simply exclaimed about what he was doing here.  That was one thing he always was fairly thankful for, Alyssa had always been one to get past the pleasantries and to the point.  Sometimes bluntness could be a virtue even though others would not consider it so.

"Well you did get me interested in this game if you don't remember.  Even so I have been attempting to gain my bearings and consider a best course of action when I came upon these individuals you see with me now.  I am absolutely ecstatic that you got my message, I wanted to reunite with you in game as soon as possible with this situation at hand.  It would seem our table is filling up though, there is always a seat on my lap for you as always though sweetheart."

Asagi just smirked and let out a small chuckle, it seemed that the day was out to be one of some interest after all.

L smirked at the boy, he was an interesting character indeed. He lent down closer so his face was inches away from the boys â€‹"Whether it's my business or not is non of yours, it'll do you good to remember in the near future" He ginned devilishly revealing his fang like canines, something most people overlooked because he never smiled. He normally was one to keep to himself however this gathering intrigued him greatly. Since coming to SAO he had all but changed in persona, he was no longer polite or curtious and he no longer had any regard for the weak. He knew what Mari was thinking about him but frankly she never really paid much respect for his or anyone's power to begin with and it didn't make the slightest of a difference to him. Whether someone believed him or whether someone liked him didn't matter at all, he didn't have to prove anything to anyone, his status was a testament and it was one to be recognised.

He relaxed slightly and sat down in between the man and Mari  when he heard Lessa make her entrance. His eyes went wide "L-e-s-s-a?" he hadn't seen Lessa for awhile, the last time they had seen each other was when he was a sniveling newbie that didn't know his way around anything. He had much respect for her and recognised her titles. The head of the guardians of Aincrad, she was someone he had to forge quick ties with if the Crimson Inquisition was to grow larger and continue with its plans although he wasn't sure if Lessa was willing to contribute with them. He cleared his throat and was about to speak when the Cassanova started to speak again with complete and utter disregard for Lessas person seemingly baffled. He wanted to draw his sword on this fool but he decided to just let Lessa handle it herself, she could live up to her own image but he couldn't help but let his words slip "You'd  do well to hold that snake tongue of yours you coy odoriferous bat-fowling wagtail"

With a soft sigh, Alkor slapped his palm against his forehead and shut his eyes. "The people trapped in this game just want to be stuck forever," he muttered in discontent. The situation between several players here appeared to be flirtatious and silly. He had come to the Town of Beginnings for a quick restocking of potions and various other items. He'd noticed Lessa's location was somewhere nearby, and he ended up following, but what he found had fouled his mood.

It was the purpose of their guild to help new players get stronger and make their way to the front lines. That was fine with Alkor. His own desire was to protect every player on Aincrad, whether directly or indirectly. He had no interest in the smaller problems.

"Life," Alkor said after a moment, regarding the other player. He remembered the man, and their handshake, and they words they'd shared- and after that, a boss battle that Alkor had partaken of. The other youth growled his disdain toward the low level player. "You've come a long way."

There was no point in getting drawn into a muck on the first floor, especially not between players. Alkor had been devising a plan to assault the boss battle on the ninth floor for several weeks, now. While he had largely kept it quiet, there had been several hints dropped that he was planning something huge.

"Look at them," he said with a hint of sadness in his voice. "Scared, confused, lost... like a herd of sheep without a shepherd." The better word might have been cattle, but Alkor didn't want to seem insensitive. At least, not here. "Make em, don't break em," the golden eyed swordsman said with a wink, patting L on the shoulder.

Life's response to Asagi's comment, paired with Alkor's appearance, was enough to bring a small smile to the young woman's face. Despite the troubling situation that she was in, their presence brought her strength and comfort. Lessa had always been one to draw on the energy of her friends, and this moment was no different.

"Thank you, L," Lessa replied softly, laying a gentle hand on the man's arm. She appreciated his chivalrous reply, and she wanted him to know that. Then, she moved her gaze to Alkor. Though she would never have spoken those words, she had an idea what he was trying to accomplish with them. So instead of scolding him for being rude, she simply let him be. The woman gave him a small nod, then turned back to Asagi.

Ignoring the other individuals, as she had no idea who they were, Lessa continued.

"I seem to remember mentioning that I was going to buy a copy of the game, but I had no idea that you would do the same. Honestly, it is a shame to see you stuck in here as well, considering the circumstances." Did he even understand that he was trapped? She found herself asking. He was taking everything so well, and even resorting back to his old, flirty self. It was a bit disrespectful, and her time in the game had made her less forgiving of such behavior. So, as if as an afterthought, she added, "and I prefer to stand."

L felt a small tap on his shoulder and turned to see the golden eye'd swordsman, he'd forgotten such people were still around. Lessa and Alkor.. two of the most respected players turning up at a small tavern on floor one, such a beautiful coincidence. After L's experience with avalanche and the icy crypt he stumbled across his eyes had become a deep red, it was a good time after his battle with the Goblin King, and a good while after meeting Mari for the first time. He opened his mouth but he had no idea what to say. "It's been too long.. you're right. It seems in these times iv'e taken a turn for the worst" He seemed ashamed of himself for losing himself so easily.

When Lessa spoke his jaw dropped "You know this boy?" He leant back on his chair shaking his head, he stood up overwhelmed by all of it. "We should catch up some time.. there's much to discuss" He had all but forgotten about the proposition about to be made. He wasn't sure where he was going but he was obviously not fit for this group anymore. "I think i should go, Im sure you're all busy right now" 

The boy trying to pass off the dark and mysterious look was seriously giving Asagi bad vibes, that aside everyone was seeming so lively.  It was almost a relief, finding this many people still living and thriving in this world was comforting.  This meant that they had people ready to step up and take on the challenges ahead even though many were too afraid to do so.  After yet another interesting member of the community joined up to calm our black clad vampire wannabe down things got sobering again.  Alyssa turned back to Asagi and started up the conversation again.  Did she forget the conversation about how excited she was over the new game?  Most likely it seemed less advertisement more casual remarks to her when they had it.

"Well you were mentioning how great the game was going to be and if I remember correctly, something about how I had to try it and see for myself.  You made a fairly compelling argument, atleast to me.  As for the situation we are in it is quite a predicament but you know me, I understand full well that panicking about it will not bring it to a swift resolution.  If we are to make any progress we must think of it as another challenge to overcome.  Oh and for this game I chose the moniquer Lotharian dear, I suppose I overestimated the number of people in here who would get the reference."

Even though his demeanor was as calm as always Asagi was indeed very happy to see the familiar face of Alyssa before him.  It made the game seem a little less lonely in the midst of all these strangers.  Upon hearing our conversation though the uppity fellow was at it again acting surprised at our association.  It seemed his mood totally changed as he almost stuttered when speaking directly to Alyssa's avatar.

"Yes indeed we do know eachother.....Life was it?  We actually live in the same small area out in the real world.  Now barring the insults I don't overly mind if you stay, but I do wonder about the legitimacy of the verbal attacks from a man who was rude enough to be eavesdropping and then completely barge into other people's personal conversations without so much as a polite interjection"

Asagi then realized that in all the fuss he had forgotten about the roll he had been eating.  Taking another bite of the delicacy he then broke off a piece from the other end and extended out to Alyssa with a smile.

L looked back at the snake, he wasn't getting the message through his head "The fact someone would eves drop and disregard formalities should only serve to support them. You have yet to come to grips with the meaning of my words, believe me when i tell you there are simply people in this messed up world you don't want to run into when you're alone. Oh and no, you have never met me and that's all the more reason you should watch the way you speak to me" The red his his eyes grew deeper as his words of malice seethed from behind his teeth. "I apologise for my intrusion but i no longer have any interest in your tea party, i have businesses to attend to" He nudged Alkor looking him in the eyes, he was still calm and collected but itching to get continue with his plans "I assume since Lessa is busy we should talk instead, our guilds have yet to form an official alliance" With that he walked out the door giving the boy one last glance to make sure he would remember him for future reference. 

Alkor watched the two speak passively, not showing anything of his own thoughts on the situation. When Life nudged him, Alkor's eyes flicked over to the other youth, and he nodded. "I'll leave the droll stuff to our fearless leader," he said offering Lessa a smile and a wink. "And we can talk over drinks."

The next instant, Alkor was headed out the door with L.

"Asagi!" Lessa said sharply, her gaze narrowing as she turned to face the young man. "Enough. There is no need to be so childish. We are all adults here, so please, let us act the part." The pink swordswoman sighed, rubbing her temple with her middle and pointer fingers on one hand. This was a gesture that she had made often before entering SAO. Generally, it was when she was working with students, and they were putting her in the uncomfortable "mediator" position. Though diplomacy was her expertise, being caught between two whiny children can put anyone on edge. This was no different.

"No, thank you," she told Asagi finally, declining his roll with a flick of her wrist. As Life announced his decision to leave, Lessa winced. She grew even more upset when Alkor chose to follow, but she did her best to hide the impact it had on her. She gave a sarcastic "hrmph" when Alkor made the jab about her being the fearless leader, but the truth was, she preferred to be around her guild mates. Much to her surprise, they had become her family. She had hoped being near Asagi would make her feel more at home, but in reality, it simply made her uncomfortable.

Still, he was a part of the old world. She could not say the same about a single other thing in the game. For that reason, she felt drawn to him, and she could not help but speak again. "I am glad to see that you're taking this as well as you are," she told him, crossing her arms tightly against her chest. Then, "and that you've made some friends too."