PP-F4 'Performance Under the Stars' [COMPLETE]

L frowned at his remark, he should know him better than that "I care not who gets the last word but the importance of things needed to be said" He folded his arms and sighed closing his eyes still stressed about the whole thing, he just wanted to hear her sing and was completely annoyed by the way she talked about herself. "Yeah, i think it would be best to take my mind off this, lets get going?" He knew what he was referring to he also thought it would be best of him to leave the woman with her thoughts. She would be able to take care of herself just like he's sorted out his own problems, slowly but surely he was getting there. The voice in his head subsided slightly more everyday, it was like he was back to the way he was before he was locked inside that frozen crypt for months. He didn't really care what was inside the cave, he felt stronger than anything the 4th floor could throw at him despite him being trapped inside it in the past.

Mari watched the two converse, she couldn't hear what they were saying, but she did give a slight grin when she watched the taller man. Alkor, give life a hit to the head, good. The kid could probably use one of them. He seemed a tad melodramatic at times, and it bothered her. She wasn't sure what their intentions were, nor what they planned to do from there.

Neither one of them had questioned her musical interlude, and Life, he didn't mention nor ask why she had been crying earlier. Didn't he see? Or did he simply not care?

Mari gave another sigh,and continued to play the soft lilting tune of her violin.

"No, I get that," Alkor told Life when he spoke about wanting things to be out in the open, "and I respect it. What I'm saying is, sometimes it's better to leave things unsaid."

It was a harsh thing, dealing with other people. It was practical, in theory, to tell people about themselves when they got out of line. In reality, no one wanted to hear it. Alkor knew from brutal experience that the best way to deal with them was to let it go.

"There's an area near here that leads out to the dungeon," he elaborated, pointing in that direction, "even though it's cleared, the enemies still lurk around like nothing ever happened." He heard the sound of the violin pick back up, and Alkor shot a glance in the woman's direction.

"You ought to make sure she's alright before we leave," Alkor said, "so that you don't leave on bad terms or... whatever. I don't know. I'm not a psychiatrist." He shrugged. "Anyway, I'll give you a minute."

Turning away from Life, Alkor crossed his arms and took a deep breath. The problems of other people would always be beyond him. He stared intently into the distance, formulating a plan of attack. They'd need a good approach to the enemies in order to stay safe while they were grinding.

((Even though Alkor is older L is taller, L is 6'2 Alkor is 5'8 :P ))

He shook his head and bit his lip "I guess you're right.. but..." He rubbed the back of his head looking down and thought for a moment "I just wanted her to stop beating herself up so much.. she doesn't deserve to treat herself that way" He looked back at Alkor "Maybe i was just being inconsiderate.. no one is perfect, we just have to accept our imperfections and the imperfections of others and move on" you wouldn't have to put up with this if you where mine~ The voice teased, L gripped his head stay out of my head you wretch.. 

Alkor pointed over towards the area he wanted them to go, it seemed to be a farmable area. He gripped his head harder and was about the storm off towards it when he heard the soothing violin being played again, almost instantly stopping the pain. He looked back at the woman, he wanted to apologise and Alkor spoke again. "I guess you're right..again.. thanks..." He wasn't sure how to turn back at that point but he did so anyway. He got closer and started to slow his pace down as to not startle her as she played. He didn't want to interrupt her this time but he felt like he had to do it, letting out a small "Im sorry..." as he sat next to her. "I was probably being immature but.. i just.. really don't like seeing you cry and your voice was entrancing to me... i, i didn't want you to cry.. You don't have to tell me why if you don't feel comfortable talking to me about it.. i'll understand" He played with his fingers and leant back on the tree letting out a small breathe as he continued to think. 

Mari absently watched as the two darkly clad men talked; Life seemed to be more heated than Alkor - who was in her opinion, unusually calm. Perhaps his cold hatred toward her in the tavern was due to some sort of stress? Or perhaps she said the wrong thing. Life clutched his head, and almost stomped his feet; but then he seemed to second guess himself, and turned back toward her. 

He apologized and sat down, all the while Mari continued to play, however when he started to talk, she started to play more softly.  "Most people don't like seeing others cry. Blackbird, just means you're human."  Mari considered his words; wondering exactly how much she should share with him.

"The song just reminds me of my daughter, I was cheated out of her by a ruthless lawyer who was paid off by my now ex-husband, I got a tad emotional. End of story."

Mari, not wanting to have the subject linger on that any further changed the conversation; "So - you hit your head too hard when you fell outta that tree? Not a good bird if you can't at least land gracefully." Mari stopped playing just long enough to prod his forehead with the bowstring, before picking up the tune where she left off. 

As Life walked away, Alkor's gaze wandered off toward the sky and stars. The way the younger man spoke about how people shouldn't beat themselves up, or probably more specifically, how the woman ought not, made Alkor wonder about himself. If only they knew, he mused in silence.

It was normal for people to deal with things differently. There were constructive means of chastising oneself, and there were decisively destructive ones. Alkor compartmentalized his own issues so that he could deal with them later, when he was alone. It was a very rare and terrifying situation when he visibly lost his temper.

The best way he had found to relate to other players was through sharp, biting sarcasm and dry humor, and even that had been met with a measured amount of hostility. Things that seemed so serious to others were just part of the rules in his mind. Of course he didn't want to die, and yet, to move forward, it was a risk one could not avoid.

His eyes moved back toward the other two, focused hard on Life. Would he be able to help prepare this young man for the Front Lines he so desperately wanted to be a part of? Alkor couldn't be sure. Everyone was so different, some of them more willing or tenacious than others. Life seemed strong on the outside, but Alkor had seen him wavering with indecision only movements before. Players had to move past the pleasantries of social interaction and bypass the fear of hurting someone else's feelings in order to push them forward.

There were extremes in SAO Alkor was only beginning to understand. People who wanted to live their old lives, people who had grown complacent with their new ones, and people like him. Alkor had become borderline obsessive with getting stronger, and he knew it. Just how much more could happen before it would be just like Lessa said? What would take away the last of his humanity? Was there a breaking point at which that would happen?

"Too many questions," he muttered to himself.

L felt like a complete wuss, why did he care so much, he realised how exposed he was making himself and cleared his throat trying to control himself. She had reassured him, just human.. he smiled. When she continued his smile slowly faded, he knew of a brutal lawyer "A ruthless lawyer?.." He bit the bottom of his lip, yet another member of the Crimson Inquisition that has done her wrong. He felt himself about to melt down inside again but the pain his his head balanced it out. "That's so sad... how could anyone in their right mind do that to you..I think I might know something about a ruthless lawyer.." He shook his head, it wasn't appropriate to talk about it. Like Alkor said, the past was the past. "Im sorry about all this.. it was rude of me to eavesdrop." He got up again and sighed sorrowfully "If you want you can come with us.. I don't think Alkor would mind" He looked over at Alkor who seemed to be lost in thought. "He's not a bad person at all" He stretched and looked up at the frozen sky as a snowflake fell onto his nose. 

((Sorry for the late reply))

(( I think we can wrap it up when Mari decides to join them and they have a quick conversation about their next destination :D  )

Mari quirked her brow when Life repeated her question, as though he knew of one. "Yeh." She added suspiciously as she watched him bite his lower lip. He seemed nervous. She was about to ask if he knew something, but he answered for her stating that he may have known something about a ruthless lawyer. Mari felt her heart sink. She shook her head. "It makes me feel sick thinking about it. I'd rather not discuss it."

Life stood up and asked if she would like to join - Mari, standing too gave a shrug. "That depends." she said, poking him in the chest with her bowstring. "Are you still going to be all melonchony?"

He looked back and nodded thinking back again to what Alkor told him "I understand.. some things are better left unsaid" He frowned when she poked his chest and quipped "I might be, just to annoy you" He allowed faint smile spread as he turned back towards Alkor "I guess we should get going and see what Alkor has planned then" He stode over to him and patted him gently on the shoulder "It's alright if she comes along right?" He looked into his eyes, it was a looking saying 'it's not really a question', he couldn't turn her down at this point even if he only cared about getting stronger. "I think the three of us could tackle a real challenge don't you think?" He smiled hopefully, he knew they where in for a real treat

Alkor turned when he felt the hand on his shoulder and returned Life's intent gaze with a searching look for a moment. After he found whatever it was he had been looking for, he turned his gaze to Mari and considered her in silence.

The only way to measure someone was not through words, but action. Alkor knew full well the truth in that. Just because she had bleated out some heated words in a tavern, Alkor could not condemn her. He would give her the benefit of the doubt, and an opportunity to show what she was really made of.

Of course, she wouldn't need to know what he thought, or what was going through his mind. "Aye," he replied finally, eyes locked with Mari's. "She can come along." He would have added something vitriolic, like 'just don't slow us down,' but decided against it. That would only create a need for more discourse, and Alkor hated to waste time mincing words. "If she wants to."

Alkor turned and rested his hand on the pommel of his sword. He didn't have much else to say. He rarely left things open for discussion when it was possible not to. "Whenever you're ready."

Mari grinned, “See Blackbird; that’s better.” She added as she gave him another nudge with her elbow. Mari let Life wander ahead of her, so he could exchange words privately with Alkor. She figured it was the polite thing to do. Once she thought enough time had passed she  let her violin turn back into a small grey ball and put away her sphere of symphony. Mari dusted off her hands and approached the two, glancing at Alkor warily.

Alkor’s gaze met Mari’s and she simply stared back with a vibrant, resilient look. She could tell, that he seemed to be at an ends of what to say; was he going to tell her no? Or was he going to threaten her again? Finally, he seemed to settle on a sort of acceptance; not exactly saying yes; but more so saying if she wanted to.

Mari glanced over at Life; noticing he was out of sorts.

“I think I do; and I’m ready.”

He smirked when she nudged him. When she came up to meet Alkor he wasn't all to sure how she would react but he was surprised, she didn't really say anything at all except that she was ready. "Then i guess we should get this party started" He said in a enthusiastically sarcastic voice, in truth however he was actually excited and he had a fain smile on his face. "We better be fighting something strong, im in need of a good battle" you could always play me for keeps~ The voice in his head laughed, for keeps? She was starting to get a bit more bold with her words and the pain in his head seemed to get more intense each time. He looked over at Alkor with determination. 

Alkor gestured with his hand to dismiss the eyes from his person. He had always hated being the center of attention. "We'll make for the dungeon entrance, then," he murmured, quick to break away from the rest of the group. Lingering too long had made him antsy. He was the sort of person who would rather act than spend time debating and planning- though he saw the planning phase as a necessary evil of sorts, enough to warrant actual conversation.

He led them further into the snow drifts, away from the calm lake and into the howling darkness that comprised the evil heart of the fourth floor. Everything that surrounded it embodied the beauty of winter, but here on the cusp of the dungeon, it was rigid ice and cold hearts all around.

"This is where we'll meet," he told them, pointing at the massive, archaic door obscured by wintery wind. "Go make your preparations; the monsters beyond are a little bit different from anything you've probably faced so far."

It was true; dungeon level monsters were far and away stronger than the common, trash mobs on a given floor. They were considered the challenge that prevented weaker players from reaching bosses. There were even, in most cases, mini bosses that lurked in wait to kill players who made it too far on a second wind.

If they were intending to survive a boss battle, this would be a good start.

((I am ending this PP here; if we want to continue the trek into the cave elsewhere then excellent I am all down for that.))

Mari gave a small shrug, watching Alkor quickly dismissing her and heading toward their next destination. "Man of action eh?"  Mari followed behind Alkor. Keeping in line with Life; "yer head ok there Blackbird? Don't go crazy on me now." She mused, it was her way of admitting that she was still on friendly terms with him. 

The three travelled past the lake, and the starter town and tread deeper into the encroaching blackness that threatened to burst from the horizon. The air grew colder, and the frosty bite of the air tickled her skin. Mari shivered, but she liked the cold. She almost thrived in it. Alkor pointed to the entrance and asked them to prepare; warning of the dangers that they faced. "Dying there is better than dying at the hands of some rabid Crimson Inquisition member, right?" She said, nudging Life in hopes that the morbid joke would lighten his mood.

It'd be interesting going into this, especially with her present company. They seemed like adept fighters and Mari could sure learn a thing or two from them.

SUMMARY

Mari - 133 Col +1 SP
Life - 133 Col +1 SP
Alkor - 133 Col +1 SP

COMPLETE