Encouragements and Discouragements Thread Suggestion

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

Hello there, SAO! Hope I've stepped into the right board to make a suggestion.

Um, well, the purpose of this is simple: I'd like to suggest an Encouragements & Discouragements thread in order to both provide ideas for future characters and to balance the character database. I've seen it in several forums and I think that perhaps it would be useful in this one, specially to provide some diversity and encouraging people to take paths which aren't that usual.  Whatever that is 'encouraged' or 'discouraged' could be based on what the Journal correctors think in general, since they're the ones who have more idea of which kind of characteristics are -too- common and which ones are rare or nearly forgotten.

Please, notice that I am talking about a Encouragements & Discouragements and not an Encouragements & Bans, since I think everyone is free to play whatever they like as long as it makes sense to the SAO/ALO/GGO universe. Thanks for passing by this thread!

I like that idea; I mean sometimes I feel I made Mari a tad too mainstream when I See other characters;

I notice that split personalities and 'inner madness'  or 'demons posessin people' is super common or used to be common.

I am working on a new character at the moment that has OCD where things need to be  done in groups of 3 XD

XD

Don't worry, Crozeph, everyone is free to RP whatever he/she/it feels like xD I am saying another thing.

For example, let's say that in a forum there are a lot of male characters and very few female characters, Even though there is nothing wrong with that, it means that the forum hasn't gender diversity. So, if we had a Encouragements and Discouragements thread encouraging Female, a new player who barely has an idea of what to RP would find it handy. 

In other words, we're talking about a thread which gives ideas to new players :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be fine and actually happy if I saw more of these creative characters being made. Currently I just have this "character" even though I'm kind of doing the self-insertion thing since I think SAO rp would one of the very few rp topics where that is acceptable(At least I hope it is or people are going to be very mad with me XD) But once I get the hang of this website and get myself up in levels I might make a character that is a girl who is either going to be extremely temperamental and have somewhat of an inferiority complex, like she has something to prove all the time. That or a girl that is literally terrified of almost everything.  Obviously the latter of these two is most likely to just be a profession rather than a fighter.

While it may not prevent freedom of play it insinuates that they should choose this over their own idea but what ever my opinion matters little to none since there appears to be a clear disdain for my opinions around here

I wouldn't say that so soon. Some people may just be adament in their ways or beliefs on sao. Disagreement =/= disdain. If people were outright saying your opinion is horrid and please quietly stfu and sit down then maybe. Could you please clarify over own idea over the other though?

On top of that Im pretty adamant about people rping their own sexes

I'm not so sure about that one...That's like telling a writer he can only write dialogue for men and can only make characters that are male. Sounds a bit odd, does it not? Do take that the wrong way but still, I think people should be able to make their character any personality and gender they so please in any medium such as writing, rping, etc. It annoys me however when people make absurdities I suppose. I.e. A girl makes a male character that is generally just absolutely chiseled, super strong and fast, smart too, or in a nutshell a gary-stu. Or when a man makes a female character that is essentially just a walking sex toy or perfect in every way in their eyes (perky/big breasts, impossibly beautiful figure, amazing personality. Essentially a goddess)

I see what you mean,I found it annoying when someone makes any kind of character just to romanticize it. But you have to understand that someone could be relatively put off if a guy is trying to rp a girl who is acting....flirty to say the least. Ignorance is bliss I suppose because I never see that problem if neither person knows the others gender in real life. It does limit rp in that means yes but I think unless your rp is about that stuff, that situations like that generally are far and in between.

That's true but that's really a problem with the people rping rather than the rps itself. One side note, as for characters, I'm beginning to see a lot of character biographies describing their characters(or themselves under a false name) as being rather withdrawn and aloof which is honestly surprising. I may just be just picking all these people by sheer luck and haven't seen the other characters in this rp site that aren't generally "The Loner" persona with always the intellect and strategies behind their silent visage.

That's fine and good as well (I'm honestly curious to see how many people actually are doing this self insertion thing) however you get what I mean, in the show at least, people were scrambling to find their friends and get in groups(safety in numbers) while Kirito decided to go off and be a solo player....like a good amount of people on this website....including myself as well. I don't mind that if a lot of people do it, but personally I'd like to see a bit more diversities in characters, however I started to get back into this site at a pretty bad time considering it's near Christmas and all so a good amount of people are probably not even as much they usually are.

Don't worry, Crozeph, everyone is free to RP whatever he/she/it feels like xD I am saying another thing.

For example, let's say that in a forum there are a lot of male characters and very few female characters, Even though there is nothing wrong with that, it means that the forum hasn't gender diversity. So, if we had a Encouragements and Discouragements thread encouraging Female, a new player who barely has an idea of what to RP would find it handy. 

In other words, we're talking about a thread which gives ideas to new players :)

I don't support this. No one should be directly influenced with what they want to rp as. Sure they can see others and maybe copy them however telling someone from the start "Oh it's bad/good to have multiple personalities" is just wrong. What if they take your word and end up hating it and don't come back to the site because they feel like they don't connect with their character? Or any reason they might have to be frank. Let the people be free to choose what they want and by free i mean free from the views of others unless asking for it.

I don't support this. No one should be directly influenced with what they want to rp as. Sure they can see others and maybe copy them however telling someone from the start "Oh it's bad/good to have multiple personalities" is just wrong. What if they take your word and end up hating it and don't come back to the site because they feel like they don't connect with their character? Or any reason they might have to be frank. Let the people be free to choose what they want and by free i mean free from the views of others unless asking for it.

The 'Good and Bad' terms is something you have put on the table, not me. If I did, the thread would've been called 'Encouragements & Bans', which I've aforementioned its not the case.

The Encouragements & Discouragements thread is about suggesting, not about imposing; a simple thread like this is no one to tell you what to do and what not to do. Players are still free to make their own decisions and to carry them on with the corresponding responsabilities, as any decision in life.

On the other hand, I agree with you and Jubei in the fact that they might get the end of the stick if this is presented as a fight of opposites (I can understand that either 'discouragements' or 'bans' can be seen as 'bad'). So, what about erasing all the 'discouragement' thing and just leave the “Encouragements†part? Its still be the same concept, but the presentation would be less ambiguous and threatening.

The 'Good and Bad' terms is something you have put on the table, not me. If I did, the thread would've been called 'Encouragements & Bans', which I've aforementioned its not the case.

The Encouragements & Discouragements thread is about suggesting, not about imposing; a simple thread like this is no one to tell you what to do and what not to do. Players are still free to make their own decisions and to carry them on with the corresponding responsabilities, as any decision in life.

On the other hand, I agree with you and Jubei in the fact that they might get the end of the stick if this is presented as a fight of opposites (I can understand that either 'discouragements' or 'bans' can be seen as 'bad'). So, what about erasing all the 'discouragement' thing and just leave the “Encouragements†part? Its still be the same concept, but the presentation would be less ambiguous and threatening.

No i don't think any of it is necessary. Creating a forum about a topic is about as direct you can get apart from messaging them. I never said it was imposing, an influence is an influence. Like i previously stated even if you where to encourage someone to make their character a certain way they could end up just killing off their character because they feel like they don't connect with it. Futhermore, i already know that it is encouragements and discouragements not bans. Which is also why i do not approve. No one should be discouraged to play the way they want to if it's abiding by the rules of the site. Obviously if it where a serious concern such as rping angels and demons then the staff will take care of it themselves. e.g anything that isn't cannon is punishable. 

I just do not see the need for these suggestions if they are to make their own decisions anyway. Especially when in a game as balanced ours the only suggestion worth noting is not being a douche and you won't have a bounty put on your head. Even then, having a wide variety of players is what makes rp so interesting. How boring would it be if everyone was the same and nice obedient little people? Once again im not saying that this thread would cause that im just saying that a thread of this kind really isn't needed. Everyones imagination and creativity to their own :)

That's more of the reason for I've just suggested to erase the 'Discouragements/Bans' thing, Jubei. Most of the reasons I've given against have problems with that aspect, and I agree with you that it implies the avaible/banned mentality. However, if just the Encouragement/Suggestion matter is left, then that feeling wouldn't be that harsh and pressured. I believe.

As for the matter that a player might not like what its suggested, I count that as one of the consequencies to deal with when carrying the decision. The same way that the player might dislike and quit, the player could also discover new things about itself and liking the character even more. That's of the individual's concern, none to us.

As for everything else (about if you think that someone should be or not influenced by the people and about the useful/non-useful nature of this thread), I will interfere the less because those are the strongest and the most respectable arguments. On my point of view, of course that the forum can live without this thread/measure, but I think it can be useful for whenever it wants to consider some character diversity. Furthermore, maybe a player shouldn't be influenced... But I can't come up with an idea which evades so.

P.S: Also, for the readers: please, remember that you can change your votes whenever you feel. You needn't to stick with an opinion if the discussion in this topic changes your mind.