[PP-F5] Blood In The Sand (Quest with Tristan Delaney)

I walked with Tristan alongside me outside the telporting gate. We were now on floor four, a whole new climate and not as many annoying people to ruin my day due to the harsh weather. This floor was a hot desert but not even close to Floor 9. Here was all desert while Floor 9 was more of a floor filled of scorched lands from the hot lava, quite a pitiful sight. 

We came from Floor 1 to accept the task of the Sand Shark from the Info Brokers. I didn't know much about, just the normal I guess. Apparently a small party reported there to be a shark swimming around in sand. This of course made me laugh until I heard my motivation from Tristan, the rewards. Three skill points and a special potion would be given if defeated. I of course jumped on this opportunity to rank up and become stronger. This was mostly because of Tristan claiming the need to protect me but otherwise I still wanted to get the rewards.

So where is this "Sand Shark?" I asked Tristan mockingly with my arms crossed over my chest. 

Tristan walked along as he fought the sand shark for what was probably either the second or third time already defeated. Well regardless, this wasn't a beast that Kiru had done yet though and he felt an almost need to prove how he could keep her basically never attacked the entire fight through the use of his hate generation. "Wherever it feels like its swimming through the sand. It's quite a slippery one one so is never that easy to hit."

Tristan remembered a funny moment when Alkor couldnt get a single hit due to the sand slipping or sticking him where he was.

I narrowed my eyes and looked out in the distance. There were dunes after dunes almost in a never ending cycle, I couldn't quite tell where I was. So basically you have no clue where it is? It could be right under us. Do you at least know the general area of where it could be? I asked, stepping carefully so I could feel if there were any sudden vibrations. So far I didn't notice anything strange with the sand. The only thing strange was me. The area around us was weird, just sand everywhere. I was sure I would fall in the sand when something came. It was becoming a habit after all. 

Tristan stopped walking in an instant, looking harder at the sand. He could see a single fin travelling across the sand. "There."

The sand shark swam around, travelling and seeking for prey that it could find. Apparently it thought these two players would make rather nice prey, as it jumped out the sand to greet them with a roar.

Tristan grinned and did the exact same thing back at them, using his <<Howl>> skill, which sounded like the roar of a giant beast. It drew attention to him, so Kiru did not need to worry about being attacked at all.

Tristan 41/41 Hate 3

Kiru 80/80

Sand Shark 50/50
Damage per Attack: 3

(I should probably change her actions and speech because this happened after the party XD)

I glanced at Tristan and my hands began to tremble again. The scene at the party for Celes player out in my head again, Tristan with someone else, me leaving embarrassed. Does he even remember? Maybe he wasn't thinking properly. I thought but finally snapped out of it when I heard Tristan howl. Startled, I looked at him with wide eyes but realized that the shark was coming. 

Tristan, don't take damage for me. I said then before he could reply I sprang forward and pushed through the sand. When I was about fifty feet away from it I grabbed my dagger and threw it while still running at it head on. Once the dagger hit I jumped straight up and over the Sand Shark perfectly. My landing was graceful as usual. Now, the shark was still going towards Tristan. It was almost as if it didn't care about me. 

ID 3904; BD 7+1 ACC= BD 8 (+1 Base Damage, +1 Athletics, +3 Dagger= +5 Damage)

Tristan 41/41 Hate 3

Kiru 80/80

Sand Shark 45/50

3910 BD 9 MD 1

Tristan thrust forward with his spear at the slippery beast. He struck it with a critical, the beast flopping from the force of it. So much apparently that it completely threw off their attack against him too which left him completely in the clear. It was a shame actually because he hoped the monster would hit his shield so that his fire thorns could harm it further. Well anyhow, he kept his hate at the highest so it aimed only for him. 

"I suppose lucky for you I didn't need to then." he jested with a grin.

Hit for 6+1 dmg

Tristan 40/41 Hate 5

Kiru 80/80 Hate 1

Sand Shark 38/50

Don't mess around, if you get hurt...I trailed off, confused on what I was going to say. I shook my head and started forward again towards the dumb creature. The shark was going way too fast for me so I ended up chasing it around for a minute before coming up with a plan. It had an attack pattern just like any other monster. It went around the targets twice then sprang inwards. I stopped myself in the sand and when the shark came back around I slashed it with the blade of my dagger as it went by. Once again, it disregarded me and went straight for Tristan. 

ID 3912; BD 7+1 ACC= BD 8 (+1 Base Damage, +1 Athletics, +3 Dagger= +5 Damage)

Tristan 40/41 Hate 5

Kiru 80/80 Hate 1

Sand Shark 33/50

3913 BD 9 MD 2

Tristan looked confused at Kiru. What was this concern she was showing to him? Well he put it aside, as there was a battle to fight.

Tristan thrusted forward with spear at the beast and obliterated them, sending them flying and once again the beast missing him. Tristan slightly turned to Kiru after his attack. "Hey, and...don't fight Zelrius. He'll kill you. I...don't want you dead."

Hit for 6+1 dmg

Tristan 40/41 Hate 5

Kiru 80/80 Hate 1

Sand Shark 26/50

I sprang forward right after Tristan's attack with his spear, ready to counter an attack from the shark. Instead of blocking it's attack though, I faced it head on and threw a dagger into it's side. I landed with a back flip right next to Tristan. What he said to me caught me off guard though. Zelrius? Were friends, he's not an issue. I said, completely confused by Tristan's words about not wanting me to die. He was accusing Zelrius, the boy I had been fighting field bosses with, of trying to kill me? Why...

ID 3919; BD 10 (+3 (BD 10) Base Damage, +1 Athletics, +3 Dagger= +7 Damage)

Tristan 40/41 Hate 5

Kiru 80/80 Hate 1

Sand Shark 19/50

3926 BD 3 MD 10

Tristan attacked the beast, but missed, distracted by his own thoughts. He had heard from Zelrius his loud boasts against Tempest Lost, usually claims of murder and death and other things that should not be spoken of in the public eye. "...It doesn't matter."

The beast jumped on him for a critical, but his damage mitigation annulled near all the damage that came at him and the Fire Thorns and burnt the beast for 2 damage plus 2 turns of burning damage for one damage. Well that was just how dangerous his Twinfire reflector sword was.

Enemy dmg 5-5=1

Tristan 40/41 Hate 5

Kiru 80/80 Hate 3

Sand Shark 17/50 2 turns burn for 1 dmg

​It does if you think it's ;life threatening...but oh well. I said calmly and looked at Tristan strangely, he was been totally weird. Not only that but he dismissed an issue; he never did that. And why would he say such a thing too? The sand shark practically repelled of Tristan and came my way. I felt the rumbling of the sand shark by me and jumped out of the way just in time, close enough call. I grabbed another dagger from my pouch and threw it as it slithered away from me and back to Tristan. 

ID 3941; BD 5+1 ACC= 6 (+1 Base Damage, +1 Athletics, +3 Dagger= +5 Damage)

Tristan 40/41 Hate 5

Kiru 80/80 Hate 3

Sand Shark 11/50 1 turn(s) burn for 1 dmg

3961 BD 8 MD 10

Tristans mind was in turmoil full of thoughts. Agh, why was his mind in such a mess?! He shook himself awake when the sand shark hit his shield again, absorbing near all of the damage, then attacking with his own spear and his life steal activating, healing him for 2 health. His mind was a mess and he didn't know why, it frustrated him. He sighed, hopefully is mind stopped going like a hurricane after this fight.

Damage 6. Enemy dmg 5-5=1 Lifesteal activated for 2 HP heal.

Tristan 41/41 Hate 6

Kiru 80/80 Hate 4

Sand Shark 3/50 2 turns burn for 1 dmg

The sound of the shark crashing into Tristan's shield was enough for me. I couldn't see that the shark was hurt by this of course which caused me to get angry. I ran towards the shark and climbed on using the tail. Once on the shark I stabbed deep into it with the dagger in my hand. I created a large gash and grinned at the HP bar. The made out a weird noise and it's HP dropped below the red zone. When it died it was like I wasn't even standing on anything real. With nothing to support me I fell from where the shark was before. I closed my eyes and waited to fell the sand absorb my fall. 

ID 4047; BD 5+1 ACC= 6 (+1 Base Damage, +1 Athletics, +3 Dagger= +5 Damage)

Tristan 41/41 Hate 6

Kiru 80/80 Hate 4

Sand Shark -3/50 1 turn(s) burn for 1 dmg DEAD (Idk if I got something from the drop, LD1, MD 8)

(we both got one material)

Tristan caught Kiru as she fell from where she was suspended when the Sand Shark fell into a million particles, scattering everywhere. It was quite the princess-like hold to catch someone in equivalent to how a movie would be. He smiled at Kiru saying "Well you killed it, I'm impressed."

This fight didn't take long at all, since they were seemingly lucky with their rolls. Well, suppose that's always a bonus, since it means they aren't running around trying to chase the darn thing.

"And as promised, you didn't get hit even once." he grinned saying to Kiru.

(yay)

Instead of feeling the ground I felt arms, probably Tristan's. To be more clear I fell into them. My legs hung over his right arm as my arms were clinging onto his neck. I opened one eye and released my arms from him, probably making me more heavy. The game made us lighter but I still had to weigh something...

You weren't supposed to take any of my damage for me, or get hurt yourself. And what was up with the whole thing about letting the shark hit you? I rolled my eyes at him with annoyance but also a small hint of a smile. Of course I killed it. Now let me down, I do not like to be paraded around with. I demanded with a nod.

• 2 weeks later...

I glared at Tristan as he lowered me to the ground. Actually this is the first video game I have ever played in my life. Of course I know what a tank is, they take all of the damage but I see no point. Taking everyone else's damage when you could kill the enemy in half the time? Sorry to offend you put I think tanks are a waste of time. I pushed my hair back behind my ear and shifted onto my right foot. I placed my dagger back away into it's holder and returned an icy stare. Tristan was acting really weird during this fight. He said he didn't want me to die, what am I supposed to think about that?! He also said that Zelrius was going to kill me, that I didn't believe. Yes I was cocky but I knew that if it ever came down to it then Zelrius would win a duel. Well, you seem to be out of it today, wanna tell me where you acquired such information about people that want me dead? I asked, crossing my arms.

• 2 weeks later...

Tristan could tell because this was her first game that this was then still something new for her to explain. "Well people who do more damage but have less health tend to be called glass cannons, because they are fragile and can be killed easily. Let's put it this way, say we fight a boss and it takes long to kill anyway because of a high HP pool. If that boss attacks say you, it'll put you in a possible death situation and objectively the more players dead, the worse it'll be. If it attacks me though, we all remain alive and we can keep up a high damage per second with people such as you outputting high damage, without dying due to poor defence."

He hoped he hadn't lost her entirely with that explanation and continued on with speaking.

"Well Zelrius isn't exactly the most covert of people and makes his intentions rather obvious, though you probably already know that. I'm just...worried for you I guess."

• 2 weeks later...

I placed my finger on my chin. So I would be considered a glass canon? That's pretty accurate I guess. I said and scoffed when Zelrius' name was mentioned. If Zelrius wanted to murder me then so be it. I couldn't really blame nor stop him anyways. Zelrius and I didn't have a certain state of relation, we were just around each other and insulted each other sometimes. You don't have to worry about me. It seems like you already have enough people to worry about anyways since you are a tank and all. Don't take it personally but I don't want to receive any more affection from you. You play your game and I'll play mine, just don't infuse the two and mess with me. I smirked, remembering the night of Celes' party. The way he swept that girl off of her feet was almost identical to the way he just caught me, it sickened me to think of it but I kept a smirking and icy front while speaking with Tristan. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tristan was by no means surprised by her declaration. He knew he had probably hurt her because of the incident, plus it being a really stupid thing to do. He scratched the back of his head, saying "Yeah, that was a rather stupid thing to do. Weird how the person I'm with didn't even attend that party...", Rin occupying his thoughts for a moment.

He smiled and said "Well as long as I can protect you as a tank, then I'm happy.", grinning stupidly.

(I think we can close up the thread now)