[PP-F9] Napalm (Keith, Kiru)

Guest Keith

Keith sat outside of the town on Floor 9. The smoldering heat was unbearable, but Keith had other things to handle. The main town was suspended above an active volcano, and made entirely out of solid metal. Keith would have thought that was cool, if he could go on it. Sadly, he didn't feel like repeating past incidents. Really, word of a Maverick on this floor had reached him. And, naturally, he had to look into it. He slid open his menu, typing a PM to Kiru.

<Got a Maverick. Meet me on Floor 9, just outside of the town for more.>

Keith sent the message and looked back from the town. Out of the volcano, large structures dotted the land. Rivers of lava snaked across the brown, red, and black earth. Every video game just HAD to have a lava level.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks anyways. I grumbled and walked out of a shop on Floor 9. This floor had many problems. First of all, the most obvious one was the heat. It was scorching hot no matter what I wore! Even in the simple shirt, shorts, and tights I wore right now, I was still practically burning to death. Secondly, this floor was the highest open so far and everyone was somewhat afraid of it. Low leveled players rarely traveled up here so the only people I ran into were the arrogant level fourty's like myself. Lastly, since no one ever came up here, the business stank. Every shop I had been to so far was dreadfully bare and offered nothing I could use. It was all just pointless to come here in the first place, yet I still had hope that someone might have gotten something rare to sell. 

I shut the door and shuffled along the side of the road, heading towards the exit. I stayed under the "shade" that the crumbled building provided as I walked. Then, a message from Keith appeared. I stopped and opened it up, hoping it was nothing serious. It read: Got a Maverick. Meet me on Floor 9, just outside of the town for more. I blinked a few times and read it again. Is he stalking me? It seems like every time he wants to meet, were on the same floor. Also, something goes haywire...I breathed out with annoyance and picked up the pace towards the entrance. Standing there was none other than a certain blue boy.

Keith looked over his shoulder, seeing Kiru. He sat up and smiled, waving over to her. "Yo! Did you level up your sprint? Because that was pretty darn fast." He said, putting his hands on his hips and looking at Kiru. "Meh, oh well. My speed record insecurities aside, I just got word of a huge Maverick on this floor. And by huge, I'm talking like this guy is one of Vile's most trusted Mavericks." Keith said, opening up a profile and sending it to Kiru. He had most Mavericks bookmarked, and made it so that it was easy to access them at anytime. He actually planned on assembling a whole book on Mavericks someday.

https://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/91917507/disp/de23e48305584800432606f28fb26ff6.jpg

"Napalm. This guy... He's a psychopath." Keith said, frowning and crossing his arms as he filled her in. "This guy loves fire... A lot. He believes that those unworthy of being in this game must be killed... With fire. Reports tell me that when someone loses to him, he hacks both their legs off, and then dips them into the lava pools on this floor. Sometimes... It takes hours before the victim actually dies." He said, shuddering slightly at the idea. "I've heard of a burning pain... But this is ridiculous... You up for it?" He asked, looking up at Kiru and into her eyes.

Oi. I called as I got close enough to speak without yelling. Nope, but I did notice a trend of a certain someone always being on the same floor as me. That would be a young boy by the name of Yudai. I said, rolling my eyes and smiling. Keith then began to talk about a Maverick close to Vile. I knew that Vile was someone that Keith hated so going after this guy might help ease him a bit. I opened the file sent to me and stared at his picture for a bit. He looked like he had a lot of confidence to be striding around in such ludicrous clothes, especially on this floor. The armor was for defensive purposes but it restricted his movement. It was a win/lose situation but from what Keith was telling me, he was always "winning." 

I frowned at the killing reports, they sounded gruesome. I see so he's sadistic pyromaniac? Since you are so enthusiastic about it I don't see why I couldn't accompany you. I said and closed my eyes as I began to pull my hair back. I took the elastic band off of my wrist and pulled my hair into a ponytail. I hadn't worn one in a while so it felt a little weird, heavy even. My bang covered my eyes but I didn't even bother to move it. So, what's the game plan?

Keith shrugged, looking back out over the magma wastelands. "No clue. This guy is unpredictable... His actions are a lot like fire. He moves quickly, destroys anything in his way, and is something we can't really plan against." Keith looked back over, seeing Kiru had put her hair up in a ponytail. He blushed a little, since he thought she looked cute with it. But he knew he would be caught dead saying that. They had serious business going on. "A-Anyway... He just roams the wastelands. But, he is usually attracted to two things. Powerful players, and large groups. He can't resist a challenge. So the two of us should be able to draw him out." While Keith and Kiru were very strong, there were still some stronger than them. The old guy who runs Knights of the Blood Oath, Vile, and there was some guy who wears black that seemed to be around Keith's level. Though he really didn't appear often. 

"Anyway, if we go down to the wastelands, we can expect him to appear." Keith said, looking back to Kiru. 

I nodded, taking in the information he was giving me. Nice simile, I guess that's how some people relate me to ice- by the temperature. I chuckled just a little bit and folded my arms over my chest. Well, we're both considerably high levels so I can see why you invited me along. If we can draw him out by our level then we'll be just fine. We know each others' movements pretty well so we'll be able to communicate without really speaking much. I shifted to my right foot and wiped the sweat from my forehead. What are we waiting for? Let's go hunt a Maverick! I exclaimed with a smile, totally carefree at this point. There was no point in acting around Keith since we were closer than most people. Keith and I are totally opposites so that was probably why we attract each other so much. 

Keith nodded and looked down at the long way to the bottom. "Seems pretty risky just walking down... Gondola? Gondola." Keith said, motioning over to an iron cable car not too far off. It had steam hissing from a pump of sorts, showing it was primitive. But still enough to show it was the most technologically advanced thing in SAO"Normally, I don't trust these things... But we have limited options getting down." He said, walking over to the gondola and placing his hand on the handle. The screeching of metal sounded as he slid the door open, making the whole thing shudder slightly. 

Keith looked at it and raised an eyebrow. He had been on cable cars before. They had them taking people up hills in Sweden, mostly so they could sled or snowboard down again. Oh, how dearly Keith missed the snowy hills in Sweden right now. "Alright... All aboard, I guess..." He said, rolling up his sleeves to his elbows and wiping some sweat from his brow. Ruby scurried from out of nowhere, who had probably gotten distracted. The carbuncle yipped, tripped over himself, but yipped again and scrambled to his feet, bounding into the gondola.

Leaning forward and almost falling in the process I looked down at the bottom. It was a long way down from all the way up here. How did he even get down there? I muttered and furrowed my eyebrows. If that guy had walked down there he must have pulled a Kiru and fell the whole way down. I turned my head sideways to see what Keith was talking about. Gondola? What...Oh! So that's the proper name for those things. I said, taking a look at the cable car in front of Keith.

I walked over and stood to the side of him as he opened the door. It made a horrible screeching sound as the metal doors were forced open.  Well, if it crashes and burns then at least we'll be at the bottom of the path right? This thing is either a trap programmed or just a simple transport. Either way it's still unstable. Still, it's the only way down as you said. I mentioned while setting foot into the small space. From the outside it looked more spacious but now it was just tight. So, how do we start it? I asked impatiently. 

Keith looked around and saw a small control console on the side of it. He scooted over and placed his hand on a lever, giving it a firm yank. The whole thing shuddered, and gear began to whir. The sound of hissing steam sounded as the gondola lurched forward, creaking as it began to move down the side of the volcano. Keith staggered slightly at the sudden jolt, before regaining his stance with both feet on the ground. "Well, that answers that." He said, straightening up and looking to Kiru. "And at the rate we're moving, this may take a while." Keith said, sitting on a small metal bench that was hastily attached to the wall of the trolley.

Keith tugged on the neck of his shirt slightly, wanting to try and air out as they descended lower. Thankfully, it wasn't as hot now that they moved away from the volcano, but it was still at least a hundred degrees. As they still sat in the cart, Keith looked around, then poked his head out the window, before looking back at Kiru. "Have you come up with a good time we should have the wedding at?" 

As the doors closed quietly I looked out the back window. From inside, the volcano looked daunting and so big. It amazed me how just being in a cable car changed the size of the world around me. Suddenly, I jerked to the side and stumbled, hitting the wall slightly. Keith had pulled the trigger when I wasn't paying attention, figures. I shot a glare at Keith. Warn me next time will ya? I said and regained my balance and composure. Maybe jumping would have been a better idea then? Would have been faster. I mocked how slow this thing traveled.

I leaned against the wall and sighed. No. Unfortunately I hadn't really thought about it that much due to my responsibilities. I lied moving my eyes to the right. In fact, mostly all I had been thinking about was this wedding that was going to happen. I didn't know what he wanted from me, what he wanted me to say either. All I knew was that the guild was coming. I mean, I am always being asked to do things that I can't turn down or avoid. Such things like meetings and inquiries. I explained, hoping Keith knew what he was doing for the wedding, because I sure didn't. 

Keith nodded, knowing that she didn't really know a whole lot about this. Frankly, neither did he. "Yeah... The days are just packed. There's supposed to be another boss this month, just like every other month. And people keep looking to me for answers I don't have..." He said with a sigh, running a hand through his blue hair. Just because Keith was high level, and infamous among players, didn't mean he had a solution for everything. He was just a guy who happened to do the right things, at the right places, at the right times. With bosses, Mavericks, and his own wedding coming up, Keith had a huge weight of stress just building up on him over time.

"I'll figure something out... Don't worry about anything." Keith said, letting Ruby onto his lap. He pet his familiar, scratching him behind the ears and smiling. Pets always had a way of lightening up tension. He then jolted again as the gondola lurched to a halt, signaling they were at the bottom. Keith sat up, placing Ruby on his shoulder. He glanced over to Kiru and then to the door. "Wedding plans will have to wait. We got a Maverick out there." 

The only thing I could do was nod along. I'm taking part in that boss battle too, I hope we're in the same group. It would go a lot smoother if none of the lower players tried to be part of it. I may sound selfish but I want to be the one to kill it, not them. Last time in a boss battle...someone died because no one was quick enough to heal her. She was in my group...I.. I said, trying to hide how disappointed in myself I was. It pained me to be the only one with someone in there group to die. It showed I couldn't really lead a group very well. Mainly I was chosen because of my level but I wasn't the most qualified for the job.

Thank you. I said quietly, feeling a major weight lift from my shoulders, only to be replaced with another one. The new one created was Keith, he had a lot of things to bear. Some of them I couldn't share with him, some he held for me. Keith didn't want to disappoint anyone, which probably caused people to abused his kindness. I stood my ground this time when the cart ceased it's movement. Keith announced our arrival when it stopped. Yeah...right. I stated gloomily. I had a lot of things weighing on my mind right now but I couldn't seem to focus on the Maverick anymore. I sighed and opened the screeching doors. 

OOC- Items equipped:

â–ºShadow Gloves

Quality: Perfect
Description: It's a steel pair of gloves, made from light shiny steel with other materials , +2 Acc , +1 Dmg M

â–º Banshee Shiv (Rank 0, no extra damage from ranks)
Quality: Perfect
Shop: 
The Black Forge
Description: A perfect dagger, the blade is extremely well tempered and the edge is very fine and sharp. +3 Damage 

Keith walked over to the door and next to Kiru. He took a deep breath, and then exhaled. He placed a hand on Kiru's shoulder and leaned over, giving her a small kiss on the cheek. "Be safe." He whispered, before removing his hand and looking straight again. If Napalm was anywhere out there, he most likely would be nearby. Kill players as they exit, and hear them coming because of the gondolas noise. Keith took these facts into consideration, so he stepped out of the cart first, standing in the wasteland and looking around. 

"Be alert... There's no telling where he may be." Keith said, walking around a pool of magma and looking around him. Keith quickly opened his menu, checking his gear briefly before closing it again. 

OOC - Items Equipped

â–ºMach Bracer

Quality: Perfect
Description: A bracer made for Left-hand fighters. It's properties increase slashing speed by inhuman amounts. , +1 Acc , +2 Dmg M

â–º Astral Blade (Rank 4, 4 from ranks)
Description: A flawless sword crafted from Star Steel, a metal formed in a supernova. This blade hums with the energy of space. +3 Damage

â–º Vest of the Blue Blader
Description: The signature jacket of Keith. Despite looks, it's surprisingly useful. And comfy. . +2 Eva, +1 Acc

After the small gesture from him, I was starting to focus just a little bit more. I smiled at Keith as he exited the cart, replying to him as well. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I whispered, knowing he probably couldn't hear me. Instead of walking behind Keith, I now stood at his left side with a hand behind my back. From prior experience, I knew I had to be ready at all times to be struck with a weapon, especially when I was around Keith. 

My icy eyes full of determination scanned the area, no one was in sight just yet. He was hiding himself. I peeled my eyes off of the boiling magma and stared at the ground as I walked. No, he's probably watching us both as we speak. We just need to be wary of our surroundings at all times. I stated, thinking like a PK would. It was crucial to always know where your enemy was. If I were a Maverick, where would I hide? Behind the cart? No, there's windows that would reveal me. I would hide behind a large rock or something and do a surprise attack, maybe make a grand entrance of some sort?. I thought and looked up from the ground. In front of both of us, when the two sides of ground connected, was a hardened magma formation. Sitting upon it was what seemed to be player dressed in black. My head immediately turned to Keith with a slight smirk. 

As Keith stared closer at the figure, he saw it was just a rock formation. He took a few more steps and scanned again. "No sign anywhere... Maybe he's on his lunch break?" Keith said with a shrug, rolling his eyes before glancing at a pool of lava. Something stuck out of it. It seemed like a gauntlet of sorts, with clawed fingers and all sorts of engravings on it's black surface. Keith approached it slowly and looked at it. "What's this doing out here...? If I'm right, this is a piece of the Firebrand armor set. This is a unique item!" He said, getting on his knees and leaning in to get a closer look.

"And last I checked those items were owned by..." Keith's eyes widened and he gasped. "...Napalm!" The gauntlet lunged out, grabbing Keith's throat. Something was inside there the entire time. As it reached out, a whole arm was revealed. Keith choked and struggled to breath, while keeping himself from getting pulled in. The superheated metal burned his skin, as the claws dug into his neck, causing pain while getting a better grip. 

When I took a closer look I realized that it was just part of the rock. This guy Napalm was nowhere around us. To the right I saw Keith move towards a shiny object poking out of the pool of lava. It looked like a gauntlet to me but I wasn't sure. To get a better look, I trailed behind Keith and stood to his right as he got onto his knees to inspect it. I shook my head at him, this thing was practically screaming 'suspicious' yet he was still looking at it. Keith, where are we? I said rhetorically. We are at the bottom of the wasteland of floor nine with a Maverick running around. It would be best not to get distracted by shiny armor...I said and turned around to scan the area again. Keith said something but I kept looking around, he had to be hiding. 

Then suddenly I heard a splashing sound, like he had fallen in or something. I spun around and to my horror, a hand had taken a hold of Keith's neck. Keith! Don't fall in! I wasted no time gaping and ran forward with my dagger in my hand. I stood in front of the scene and sliced down onto the arm, hoping to free Keith. Then, something weird happened. 

The hand that was clenched around Keith's neck let go, before sinking back into the lava. Keith staggered back and held his throat, gasping for breath and coughing. He started to help himself up, and glanced back at the lava pit. "Kiru... It's... Him..." He said, his voice was hoarse and forced as he coughed and wheezed for air. From the lava pool, the Maverick emerged. Lava ran down his shoulder and spot of his armor glowed red with heat, before returning to their normal color. Napalm looked at the two players, rolling his shoulders as he scanned them.

"Weak..." He hissed, drawing a sword from his back. The blade was a bright yellow, immediately igniting upon him drawing it. Flames roared to life along his blade, and he pointed it at Keith and Kiru. "Enough games! You two appear to challenge me... And a challenge you two shall have!" Keith sat up and held his hand up. "Stop!" He said, his voice now clearer. "Isn't there enough death in this world? Why do we wage this war against each other? Imagine what we could accomplish if we all came together, and worked as one! Please... Enough of this war!" Napalm scoffed and gripped his blade tighter. "You two have such strength... Yet you use it for petty things as this! This whole game could be your's! Tell me, Yudai. What is conflict? What is war?" Keith stood up and rubbed his neck, drawing his katana. Ruby stood firm on his shoulder and glared at the Maverick. "War is a method of forcing one's beliefs upon another. It's a cowardly way to seize control of those with less strength." Napalm snarled and the flames on his blade grew. "Enough! The two of you shall fall to me this day!"

Keith: 107/107

Kiru: 87/87

Napalm: 150/150

The hand disappeared as soon as I hit it with my dagger and released Keith. He staggered backwards but I was still on the defensive side. I stared at the pool of magma for a few moments, almost as if I was just waiting for him to come forward again. This was until I heard Keith's voice telling me it was him- It was Napalm, the one we were after. Yeah, I guessed that when a random hand was stupid enough to grab a Player Killer...I said, tearing my eyes from the unmoving lava and to Keith. I placed a hesitant hand on his shoulder. Are you okay? Is there anything I can do? I mean, I have no potions but...I trailed off, hearing movement behind me. Emerging from the heated substance was the mirror image of the aforementioned profile Keith sent me. Napalm was here, and he looked serious. 

The daunting figure removed his sword from it's sheath and pointed it at Keith and I, clearly stating a challenge. Flames licked all edges of the yellow blade as it was directed our way. Just this once I decided to let Keith do all of the speaking. If I interjected then surely damage would have already been done by now. After a few back and fourth comebacks I had had enough. I stepped in front of Keith and glared at Napalm. Weak. How dare you use such a word to describe us. I may be called other names that will not be mentioned but, I am most definitely, not weak. Neither is he. But as always, I said as I wiped the sweat from my forehead and smirked. Actions speak louder than words. On my last word I lunged forward with my fingers laced around the handle of my dagger. I made a clean cut across his chest and did a defensive maneuver until I got back to a safe distance. 

ID: 7793; BD 7 (+1 Base Damage +1 ATH +3 Dagger= 5 Damage total)

Napalm: 145/150

Napalm staggered back and gripped his sword, loosening his shoulders as he laughed slightly. "Weak... Weak! If actions speak louder than words, then you must speak up! Are you even talking!?" Napalm laughed, he howled with laughter. He even began to wheeze for breath as in his fit. As he let up, he stopped and stared at the two for a moment. "Hmm... You seem quite defensive... Are you two..?" He didn't finish his sentence, and instead he just laughed again. "Oh, now this is golden! Hilarious! Two failure Hunters working as a team? It's no wonder why you're so pathetic!" He pointed his sword at Keith. "Since you're so protective, then it will be a thrill to see your face when I carve him wide open." Napalm then ran forward, raising his sword above his head and swinging at Keith.

Keith reacted quickly, swiftly stepping out of the way and getting behind Napalm. "Oh, get over yourself, hothead!" Keith said, swinging his sword downward and slicing Napalm behind the back. He then pivoted his waist and slashed two more times, getting deeper cuts along the back of Napalm. "You shoulda stayed in that lava pool, ya fruit loop." Keith said, kicking the Maverick in the end and making him stagger forward. "Quick! Kiru! Try hitting him again!"

ID: 7794; BD 6 (+1 Base Damage +1 ATH, +3 Katana, +4 Skill = 9 Damage)

ID: 7793; MB 2 (Miss)

Napalm: 136/150

I positioned myself right behind Keith and sprang forward when he attacked. I threw my dagger straight and hard, allowing it to stick into his back. While Napalm was still crouched over I ran to him, stepped on his back, and retrieving the dagger in a civil movement. Already a step ahead of you! I said, jumping into the air and away from Napalm. I could see Keith's attack coming from a mile away, it was just a simple defensive movement so why didn't this higher player see it? Maybe he was just tricking us into thinking he was weak or something? Hey Napalm, defense comes in handy sometimes don't you think? Failed hunters wouldn't describe us either, that's two words that you've said that are false. Also, I'd like to see you try to even get near him. I hissed, glaring as I clenched my dagger tighter in my grip. 

ID: 7795; BD 5+ 2 ACC= BD 7 (+1 Base Damage +1 ATH +3 Dagger= 5 Damage total)

Napalm: 131/150