• No
    • Iffy
    • Change......(Post the Change)
  2. 2. Familiar Stats

• Yes
    • No
    • Iffy
    • Change.....(Post)

Alrighty, I am Natsu, a roleplayer just as most of us are. So, I'm gonna think this through as I run through this quest idea!

Quest:

The Highlights of this Quest:

Player must have a fateful meeting with this creature that this person befriends. (This part is all up for debate)

Rewards:

Familiar

1 extra SP

Requirements:

This Quest may include a party or solo, while only 1 receives the familiar(Debating if this should be solo)

Must  be two-three pages long

No one liners

Familiar Info:

Skill Possibility's:

Familiars should have a start-up ability and depending on how powerful the ability is, it should determine the health in someway. The Familiars should somehow level up in a way, so for a second I was considering that we could just have an account for the familiar, sound alright?

Skill 1: Charge: Charge is a skill for familiars to start out with. Familiars will gain skill points just as the player does. The Familiar will start out with their natural damage, and maybe have their charge skill increase as a players would, in which you can find in the skill system guide.

Familiar Armor, Weapons and Trinkets:

I personally believe players should be able to craft weapons, armor, and trinkets for their in-game "pets", but these equipment must fall under what type of familiar the creature is. 

Familar Types:

Tank: Cover damage for the player.

Offensive:Meant for tankers, attack for the player, kinda the opposite of the one above

Neutral: Adds a permanent boost, or such as Pina(Silica's) has it's healing ability, and it also attacked once and defended Silica once.

Familar Species:

Wolf

Baby Dragon

(INCOMPLETE)

(GOT BUSY JUST NOW, I had a really great idea!)

(By the way I am just tossing ideas into the blue, Okay?)

EDITS:
Edit:Created post

Edit:Added Requirements

Edit:Added Poll

Edit:Tossed in some skill possibilities

Edit: Familiar Armor, Weapons, and Trinkets

Edit:Familiar Types and Species

Edited by Natsu

Dude I would be a beast tamer in a heartbeat. I am waiting anxiously, and can't wait for this to come into effect in SAO. If anything, just lemme have a pet! :D

Seriously though, watching this progress, Natsu. Let's see whatcha got. :)

I wasn't here when Familiars were active, so I don't know what their imbalance was in game. I'm sure someone might pop over and explain though. The quest might not be the issue, but maybe they'll adopt your suggestion when they bring it back?

Honestly, as a player that would have LOVED to start out as a Beast Master, i'd love some sort of mini-familiar of some sort, just for the company. I don't even care if it doesn't have any stats or has any sort of worth, just as a pet familiar.

Or maybe a mini-familiar breed that will give you +1 of something when utilized every 5 turns or so?

"Adorbs the Kitten assists with the attack! +1 Damage" Cooldown for 5 turns.

Or maybe even give something out like this as a prize? Just trying to think of something that would make up for the fact i'm a total tank and couldn't use a familiar anymore T.T

Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas Natsu! I definitely find familiars an interesting concept, haha. However, I'm not entirely sure if a separate account for them would be a practical idea. I believe familiars worked using SP at some point? Perhaps familiars could gain their own separate SP-type points which determine their level instead, similar to the profession system.

Here are my idears: 

Quest Requirements: Must be 1-2 pages long containing no one liners. Must have a detailed descriptive of the familiar such as color and height. (*side note: we need a height restriction so people don't have dragons roamin' around with them.) You must comfort the animal and coax it into becoming your familiar.

Additional Accounts: I say absolutely not! It would be confusing and too hard to maintain.  

So I don't think familiars should have seperate accounts. However I think if they had seperate skill points that would be a good idea. Like they could spend there own skill points on skills for search and detect, healing, or even damage and mitigation. So that any familiar could choose to main difrent roles in combat or even be balanced by choosing to spend the points evenly.

On the topic of the size allowence I think it pertains to what your familiar is able to do. Like I think if it can fly it should be no bigger than a hawk. And if it's canine or feline type animal it should be no bigger than like a wolf.

So I don't think familiars should have seperate accounts. However I think if they had seperate skill points that would be a good idea. Like they could spend there own skill points on skills for search and detect, healing, or even damage and mitigation. So that any familiar could choose to main difrent roles in combat or even be balanced by choosing to spend the points evenly.

On the topic of the size allowence I think it pertains to what your familiar is able to do. Like I think if it can fly it should be no bigger than a hawk. And if it's canine or feline type animal it should be no bigger than like a wolf.

Rather like the size of a young dire wolf 

That is true...but it would be a little unrealistic if a level 2 or 3 was able to tame a scorpion that was level 6 or 5 or something...you see? What I'm thinking is that obviously there must be some sort of difficulty for these kinds of things. Enough for a level 9+ or something, maybe even higher. Or...we can use dice. Get lower than 10, its dead. Higher than 10, its tamed. Something like that. Also, the familiar. Is it a dragon-like creature like Pina, or a small boar, or a scorpion, or a wolf? Shouldn't that also have some sort of effect on what you're taming and if it can even be tamed or not? 

honestly I think only 10 people on the site should be beast tamers as I said they're supposed to be like 1% Sao's population

The problem with this is there is already a population of players who have spent the time to gain a familiar. Back several months ago we did have familiars running, while no one seemed to be able to agree on what they could do RP or combat wise, they were still here. 

I think the general concern is not regarding the quest to gain one, nor is it in the population of beast tamers (Who has the right to tell all these player who already earned one that they cant have it anymore so that someone else can?). The concern that I think the staff are working on is what a familiar can and cannot do within the world of Aincrad. And they are working on it.

In my own opinion, I think a familiar should be counted as a weapon. In stead of a sword, target player uses a familiar. (They cannot carry a sword and attack with it as well as the familiar in the same turn, but rather must choose how they attack in each post) The player can level it up just like a sword, and just like a sword it has a starting damage of 1 before any points are invested. Like a sword a player can invest their skill points in the same fashion. 

Form Rank 0 – 1 = 2

From Rank 1 – 2 = 4

From Rank 2 – 3 = 6

From Rank 3 – 4 = 8

From Rank 4 – 5 = 10

It takes a player a total of 30 skill points to go from rank 0 (unskilled) to rank 5 (Grand master).

For each rank the player can do 1 additional damage(6 damage total at the grand mastery level) with the familiar, do to their strengthened bond or however anyone wants to write it.

A player can then have Items made for the familiar that imbue it with damage increasing traits, or add status effects to its attack, just like a sword. (cannot exceed the three items we are allowed to have)

Types of animals that can be made into familiars would include:

Small dragons (No bigger than a German Shepard, and with proper approval from the mods)

Dogs, and wolves (still no bigger than a Shepard)

Small Bears (See above)

Small Boars (again ^)

Small quadrupeds 

large bugs (Still no bigger than a dog.)

As for RP purposes. I think a player "SHOULD" be able to have, if they wish, A familiar with an ability that serves only RP purposes.(Please note that an RP familiar does differ from a normal familiar in that it cannot attack and only serves to provide creative writing options. Just as a combat familiar is not able to do anything else that a sword could not do.) I think it needs to be made very clear which familiar a person owns, RP or combat, and it must be approved by GM team. I believe they should also hold the right to revoke a familiar, RP or normal, If it appears to cause any sort of clash with the game mechanics as a whole.

The problem with this is there is already a population of players who have spent the time to gain a familiar. Back several months ago we did have familiars running, while no one seemed to be able to agree on what they could do RP or combat wise, they were still here. 

I think the general concern is not regarding the quest to gain one, nor is it in the population of beast tamers (Who has the right to tell all these player who already earned one that they cant have it anymore so that someone else can?). The concern that I think the staff are working on is what a familiar can and cannot do within the world of Aincrad. And they are working on it.

In my own opinion, I think a familiar should be counted as a weapon. In stead of a sword, target player uses a familiar. (They cannot carry a sword and attack with it as well as the familiar in the same turn, but rather must choose how they attack in each post) The player can level it up just like a sword, and just like a sword it has a starting damage of 1 before any points are invested. Like a sword a player can invest their skill points in the same fashion. 

Form Rank 0 – 1 = 2

From Rank 1 – 2 = 4

From Rank 2 – 3 = 6

From Rank 3 – 4 = 8

From Rank 4 – 5 = 10

It takes a player a total of 30 skill points to go from rank 0 (unskilled) to rank 5 (Grand master).

For each rank the player can do 1 additional damage(6 damage total at the grand mastery level) with the familiar, do to their strengthened bond or however anyone wants to write it.

A player can then have Items made for the familiar that imbue it with damage increasing traits, or add status effects to its attack, just like a sword. (cannot exceed the three items we are allowed to have)

Types of animals that can be made into familiars would include:

Small dragons (No bigger than a German Shepard, and with proper approval from the mods)

Dogs, and wolves (still no bigger than a Shepard)

Small Bears (See above)

Small Boars (again ^)

Small quadrupeds 

large bugs (Still no bigger than a dog.)

As for RP purposes. I think a player "SHOULD" be able to have, if they wish, A familiar with an ability that serves only RP purposes.(Please note that an RP familiar does differ from a normal familiar in that it cannot attack and only serves to provide creative writing options. Just as a combat familiar is not able to do anything else that a sword could not do.) I think it needs to be made very clear which familiar a person owns, RP or combat, and it must be approved by GM team. I believe they should also hold the right to revoke a familiar, RP or normal, If it appears to cause any sort of clash with the game mechanics as a whole.

See, what I would want as a familar would be close to Happy(a miniature cat from Fairy Tail) And not too attack, rather too add a boost like +1 loot.

No, I would LOVE if there was some kind of option for an RP familiar. Even if it's not a 'familiar' but a 'pet' of some sort for RP reasons. I would have made a Beast Tamer, but they were closed. It would give people that wanted one a chance, and others who would like that kind of thing (like a pet) to tag along with them. I couldn't have a familiar because i'm a tank. But this would cover the wound for sure.