Balancing out proffesions.

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should we balance out the proffesions more?

• Yes
    • No

Like many of you fully aware of the only profesions that are worth anything to the player who chooses to be them is blacksmith and tailor. If I had to place a ranking system on the actual net col gain by quick guess it would probably be

1. Tailor- most of the people in this game are light armor users it's just the primary source for easy stat changes.

2. Blacksmith- everyone needs a weapon, "one weapon" and of course heavy armor.

3. Merchant- useful for claim tickets and selling your useless stuff.

4. Cooking- all people want is more craft attempts.

5. Alchemist- people usually rely on thorns and paralysis from there weapons and buy hp pots from merchants.

6. Artisans- there is literally no need for reparing items and people just order perfect items straight from the blacksmiths and tailors.

7. Performing- for some wierd reason no one buys the monster grenades that are actually pretty useful and they've never once stated they have no affect on "bosses" we all just sorta assumed just let that sink in...

8. Fishing- I have no idea who is a fisherman and I'm pretty sure this one is getting reworked so I put it as last.

So basically the only way to earn any col using a profesion is to follow a usual "meta" of job selections. However I myself have a few ideas on how we can balance out these steep gaps and would love to hear what you all think below.

Now first the performer (yes because it's mine) people just don't see it as worth purchasing monster grenades when it's wierdly enough actually a pretty good item. Think about it the mob just sits there for its turns and takes damage. Maybe this item needs a buff of sorts to make it seem worth for other players. Like maybe an appeal to PvP use such as during PvP combat this grenade could function more as a concussion grenade and give the user time to run away or use the stealth mechanic of the game. (Like for PKers in OP since there allowed to just be out right attacked atleast they would have a chance of getting out of it.)

Then the chefs could be greatly improved if the whole idea behind "hunger" was actually enforced. Like for example aperently the reason behind bread and water being in your starter kit is for supposedly "hunger emergencies". However there are tons of new players who haven't even touched it yet even after going on a RP were they go grinding. The way I was explained the use of the bread and water is this "those are for hunger emergencies like it be wierd if you killed 5 boars and weren't hungry at all." So maybe implement a hunger system were players have to eat every so amount of posts or even after time jumps in RP's.

Alchemist could be improved by simply implementing more buffs only potions can have. Also maybe have new special potions that can directly buff a weapon or a piece of equipment for the length of a battle.

Now artisans would be top of the list of only there was actually a need to repair items. Like maybe an easy system of durability is due. Like not after every single hit but every battle? Sure. Now the amount of durability used from grinding boars compared to PvP combat and clashing swords would have to be difrent.

Merchants could maybe be improved by implementing a system were rather than them just selling basic gear they automatically have a higher chance of getting rare items out in the field to sell in there shop. Like not a buff to there LD but maybe a buff to the extant it pertaining to only mobs and field bosses. So that maybe instead of a new player having to request a sword from a blacksmith which they don't fully understand at the moment what they truly want. They can go buy a "good enough" sword from a merchant in the mean time.

I do think there could be some balancing to the profession, but I think you've completely missed the mark.

You did give me the idea that you could say, at the end of a thread, a player needs to subtract a food and water. I don't know why we would do this, since Alyss seems to be the most lucrative shop owner right now :P

The other reason that the Alchemists don't have more business is because they've had to work through some really bad rolls to build up stock, but they have the single most useful consumables in the game, so they don't really need any changes.

Honestly, I don't think there's much of a problem with crafting classes, it's more of a system wide thing (such as my comment about it being so easy to get Perfect items, and the fact that people only can have 3 items, means we have a very low demand for anything that isn't consumable. The only way you're gonna make consumables used more (Such as healing pots and crystals) is to make the game more dangerous. These are mostly "Oh $hit" moments when you're low level and could use a potion, but your survivability quickly outgrows the deadliness of mobs. Really, these should be stocked up on for boss fights, and really that seems to be the only place people use them.

Yeah I get those points.

But what about the proffesions that are basically useless compared to the others? According to the ideas of there only being 3 items and it being so easy to get perfect items made. The result in changing that wouldn't be a balance of the professions but furthering the gap between the professions that are at the top of the list and the ones at the bottom. If people had more need for blacksmiths and tailors that would only be making them even more col. now I really think the artisans need some actual help here because like you said it's really easy to make a perfect item right? Well artisans are suposed to make items better and repair them but, as I said before this site has no durability system therefore the artisan proffesion is useless given the current demographic.

Also assuming thats you who clicked the no. Why? The question wasn't do you think my ideas on how to balance the professions should be implemented. But that they should be balanced or should some balancing for the proffesions be implemented soon if you will.

Yeah I get those points.

But what about the proffesions that are basically useless compared to the others? According to the ideas of there only being 3 items and it being so easy to get perfect items made. The result in changing that wouldn't be a balance of the professions but furthering the gap between the professions that are at the top of the list and the ones at the bottom. If people had more need for blacksmiths and tailors that would only be making them even more col. now I really think the artisans need some actual help here because like you said it's really easy to make a perfect item right? Well artisans are suposed to make items better and repair them but, as I said before this site has no durability system therefore the artisan proffesion is useless given the current demographic.

Also assuming thats you who clicked the no. Why? The question wasn't do you think my ideas on how to balance the professions should be implemented. But that they should be balanced or should some balancing for the proffesions be implemented soon if you will.

I clicked no because I don't think its the professions that need to be balanced. The mods have said the main purpose of Artisan will come into play shortly when we get player housing. Also, there isn't really anything an Tailor can do that an artisan can't You can wear a ring of +3 Mitigation, and earrings of +3 accuracy or lifesteal or whatever you want. And I think that's part of the problem, but like I said, I don't think the balancing has to do with the professions, but rather with the system as a whole.

But with as you said the balancing has to do with the system as a whole it still can't be denied the proffesions (which all craft in some way shape or form ie use the CD dice) still need to be balanced. Because the purpose of and correct me if I'm wrong but the purpose of having a selection of difrent proffesions is that somehow eachone serves some sort of purpose. Or if you will supply a demand. Like the demand for weapons and armor is supplied by blacksmiths. But what I'm saying is that there are some proffesions that don't supply a demand as great as others. Therefore the proffesions are not equal meaning in balanced. Also with the top proffesions being the blacksmith and tailor it makes the system too easy to collapse. For example what if a new player comes along becomes a blacksmith or a tailor and sells his items at half the price that all the others do. Then by way of economics they also would have to lower there prices to have an equal flow of customers. And then what's to stop someone from lowering the prices even more to get even more customers. This process as the potential to lower the price of a perfect sword to 10 col making col pretty much worth nothing. Which also would make the merchant proffesion obsolete in the case of vouchers considering you actually have to use col in your crafting thus making the prises necesarry. However with balancing each proffesion people would have no need to lower prices or anything like that because it be more of a variety of proffesions to (smartly) choose.

But with as you said the balancing has to do with the system as a whole it still can't be denied the proffesions (which all craft in some way shape or form ie use the CD dice) still need to be balanced. Because the purpose of and correct me if I'm wrong but the purpose of having a selection of difrent proffesions is that somehow eachone serves some sort of purpose. Or if you will supply a demand. Like the demand for weapons and armor is supplied by blacksmiths. But what I'm saying is that there are some proffesions that don't supply a demand as great as others. Therefore the proffesions are not equal meaning in balanced. Also with the top proffesions being the blacksmith and tailor it makes the system too easy to collapse. For example what if a new player comes along becomes a blacksmith or a tailor and sells his items at half the price that all the others do. Then by way of economics they also would have to lower there prices to have an equal flow of customers. And then what's to stop someone from lowering the prices even more to get even more customers. This process as the potential to lower the price of a perfect sword to 10 col making col pretty much worth nothing. Which also would make the merchant proffesion obsolete in the case of vouchers considering you actually have to use col in your crafting thus making the prises necesarry. However with balancing each proffesion people would have no need to lower prices or anything like that because it be more of a variety of proffesions to (smartly) choose.

You're still not seeing what the problem is. Sure, the economy is an issue, but that's not the fault of the professions. Nothing you've described would help, nor would any change to the professions fix the problem you describe.

Let's say there are 10 active players on the forums (just for an easy number). That means only 30 perfect items need to be crafted. Once those 30 perfect items have been made, there is no need for a tailor or a blacksmith. Take a look in Tyger's shop, she has literally dozens of items that no one is buying. She's worked her booty off crafting, and only gotten a handful of sales. And again, once you hit that 30, no one will ever need any more items. A new player joins? only 3 more items, and then BAM, never needed again.

This isn't a problem with the Blacksmith profession, this is a problem with the game's mechanics as an entire system.

Does that make sense?

I have to agree with some of Baldur's points. Typing this from my phone, so I'll keep this short, but Alchemists have no problems whatsoever. In fact, we literally have the market cornered as far as economics go. The only reasons I haven't opened my shop are becsuse I know demand would outpace my supply by far, and also because I'm still awaiting some crafting items. Alchemists will basically be useful as long as boss fights keep happening, whereas tailors and blacksmiths have limited use, which was something I immediately recognized coming in.