Combat Gear Enhancement changes

EDIT: I have edited the list to reflect new information

Weapon Enhancements: (Blacksmith Only)

Damage

Paralyze

Bleed

Accuracy

Armor Enhancements:

Damage Mitigation (Blacksmith and Tailor)

Thorns (Blacksmith and Tailor)

Shield Enhancements: (Blacksmith Only)

Damage Mitigation

Evasion

Thorns

Other Combat Related Enhancements: 

Over-Health (Artisan)

Skill Rank (Artisan)

Accuracy (Artisan)

Evasion (Artisan)

Note:

Damage, Paralyze, Bleed, can ONLY be applied to weapons

Accuracy can ONLY be applied to weapons or Trinkets

Your only option for armor enhancements are Mitigations or Thorns (and thorns caps at 2 slots)

Evasion (shield and trinket only) does not stack with block (shield skill)

This means that if you want a full perfect set of combat armor, other than your weapon, your only options for items are as follows.

Armor: (these are your only options unless you want something like +LD)

Full Mitigation Armor:

Perfect Quality

Enhancement: +3 Mitigation

Thorn Armor:

Perfect Quality

Enhancement: 1 Thorn (activates on 9-10), 2 Mitigation

Double Thorn Armor:

Perfect Quality

Enhancement: 2 Thorn (activates on 8-10), 1 Mitigation

Combat Trinkets:

Note: Accuracy and Evasion have been added

You know have several options for trinkets. +Skill, +HP, +Accuracy (up to +2), and + Evasion (up to +2)

Note that +Skill takes the entire item

Note that +HP takes up 2/3s of an item

I'll admit, I'm a little perplexed about the whole change to the evasion enhancement in particular. Having it limited to shields makes it somewhat redundant because of the the point Baldur already alluded to. I can see the sentiment behind the change, but it's basically reduced evasion into block altogether. Is it really still evading if you're just hiding behind your shield?

If I have any single suggestion to make, it would be to allow for evasion on armor- at least under Tailors. It's debatable for light metal armor from blacksmiths, but that would pretty much make heavy armor outclassed, unless we were to start fiddling with mitigation caps as well.

It would at least allow for a slightly more diverse (and by diverse, I mean closer to what we currently have, which is relatively standardized) combination set. Although I'll mourn making the decision between damage and accuracy, I think that does at least force more variation in its own way.

It would at least allow for a slightly more diverse (and by diverse, I mean closer to what we currently have, which is relatively standardized) combination set. Although I'll mourn making the decision between damage and accuracy, I think that does at least force more variation in its own way.

True, it's been an easy choice so far, since the weapon was the only place you could put a + DMG enhancement, that's where you put it and put your others elsewhere... Now you really have a tough choice on your hands.

At the same time, however, even that particular change doesn't seem as future-proof as it could be. Forcing players to make the choice between damage and accuracy (among other enhancements) only compounds with the problem that's becoming more prevalent as we move through the floors and grow in level.

Yes, I agree that a similar choice has to be made somewhere along the way, just to avoid having an obviously optimal stock build (+3 DMG on your weapon). But even with the old system, players like Keith and Kiru had to fight mobs with upwards of 40+ HP doing a maximum of 10 damage each turn in order to collect materials. Although the mats problem has been somewhat remedied by the revision to EaL (removing the requirement of using all of your materials first), making the choice between damage and accuracy under the currently revised system will only slow down the pace of battles as we go further and further.

Under the current system, Keith could hypothetically kill a 50 HP mob in 5 hits at roughly a 33% chance (10 DMG per hit, +3 ACC), not counting the chance of crits and such. Under the new system, Keith could still kill this mob in 5 hits (10 DMG per hit, +1 ACC), but he would have roughly an 8% chance. It's slightly better than if he had no accuracy at all (since Precision is still a skill), which would give him a 5% or so chance. He has roughly a 12% chance of killing the mob in 6 hits (9 DMG per hit, +2 ACC).

I think it might be worthwhile to consider a system in the spirit of the one suggested by Zelrius, which would allow for scalability. It would also force the choice between damage and accuracy, while at the same time doing it without the expense of reasonable pace, and allowing said system to stay in place as the community progresses.

Actually, I did! It seems very reasonable, and I'd actually come here thinking that the enhancements would work similarly to how you suggested.

I think having items be separated from their enhancements gives us a lot more room to play with (in spite of the inevitable frustration that'll come from rolling all 1's, because that's definitely going to happen). It makes the economy more dynamic, rather than static, and helps mitigate item deflation. It also gives significantly more meaning to weapons dropped from bosses and such, seeing as how they'd be able to come pre-enhanced and such, with the difference being that enhancements be more difficult to attain. (I.E., there'd be more value in getting a boss weapon with 4 enhancements than owning a weapon with 4 potential enhancements possible.) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and what not.

I was playing around some with Baldur's original post of how the split between Blacksmith and Tailor works out, here is just some fiddling I came up with.

I want to say, I really think a major problem is the lack of differentiation between light-armor and heavy-armor. Right now they are essentially equal. I also think more weapon tiers and level or level and skill requirements for weapons and armor would be very useful long-term.

This is far from perfect but maybe someone can find some ideas they like in it, and make modifications. A big problem I found, was with us being able to mix and match armor pieces, it kind of makes it hard to have a player as a heavy-armor user or a light-armor user if they could have a heavy-armor chest piece and a leather helmet (light-armor). I like that players can use whatever weapon they desire, but maybe armor should be restricted to starter clothing, and then you HAVE to put points into either light-armor or heavy-armor skills and then use equipment only from that category, with the exception of wearing clothing. So light-armor with a hat or cape (clothing) is acceptable, light-armor with a heavy-armor helmet is not. And if you have a Light-Armor or Heavy-Armor Torso piece, you can't get benefits from an enchanted shirt.

Again, with both clothing and heavy/light armor sets, their would be different tiers of these. So those who want to play a martial arts wielding monk wouldn't be restricted to JUST starter clothing. They would have their own path of increasing equipment similar to Light Armor and Heavy-Armor users. (Though I think that the martial arts skill should be required to wear the more advanced clothing).

Changes:
Examples of each category:
Clothing : Torso (Tunic & Pants and/or Robes) / Capes / Gloves / Boots / Hats
Light-Armor : Torso / Legs / Gauntlets / Helmet
Heavy-Armor : Torso / Legs / Gauntlets / Helmet

Clothing : None (no bonus given and no skill points required, points could be placed into the Martial Arts Skill for 'Martial Arts Robes' path)
Light-Armor Skill : + 1 Damage Mit
Heavy-Armor Skill : + 2 Damage Mit, +1 Hate per 2 attacks (or -1 inventory slot permanently, or some other drawback of using heavy-armor)

Blacksmiths modify weapons(minus handwraps) + heavy-armor + shields
Tailors modify weapons(including handwraps) + light-armor + clothing

Weapon Enhancements: (Blacksmith Only)
Damage
Paralyze
Bleed

Weapon Enhancements: (Tailor Only) 
Accuracy

Handwrap Enhancements: (Tailor Only)
Damage
Paralyze
Bleed
Accuracy

Heavy-Armor Enhancements: (Blacksmith Only)
Damage Mitigation
Thorns 

Light-Armor Enhancements: (Tailor Only)
Damage Mitigation
Thorns 

Shield Enhancements: (Blacksmith Only)
Damage Mitigation
Evasion
Thorns

Clothing Enhancements: (Tailor Only)
Evasion
Damage Mitigation
Damaging Chakra Aura (Like Thorns but for Martial Artists only, must be using hand-wraps as their weapon for effect)

Other Combat Related Enhancements: (Artisan Only) (Trinkets & Clothes) 
Over-Health 
Skill Rank