Heavy Armour Enhancements

So, I'm about to submit my chesplate for re-approval and I've just got a bit of a nag on my mind.

In my eyes it seems light armor is really OP compared to heavy armor. While light armor has things like Regen, Evasion and Savvy - both amazing abilities, heavy armor has Mitigation.

But Ethereal! There's Thorns and Momentum and... oh wait they're for both armors.

So, light armor may have the exclusive Savvy and Regen abilities. Heavy armor gets the exclusive worse version of Evasion.

In that light I believe there should be some more heavy armor exclusive enhancements. An idea may be a hate generation or negative dice enhancement due to how menacing/solid the armour is/appears.

But Eth! What's your issue with not just changing to light armor? My character has historically been a dragon hunter (though it may not seem like it currently) and hence has always had dragon hide and bone armor. Cloth and leather don't exactly hold up against dragonfire quite like the skin of dragons. Therefore, I believe this imbalance is impacting on my ability to RP without being at a disadvantage to my fellow RPers and the very essence of how I RP my character.

The worst one is Regen, which doesn't make sense for light armour, whose entire purpose is to not get hit. If you're wearing light armour you shouldn't get rewarded for getting hit.

And evasion is just better in every regard compared to damage mitigation.

Things definitely need to be fixed because since enhancements are the only difference between armour types currently, there's really no reason to take anything besides light armour, even if youre tanking. I suggest enhancements to improve Hate generation, since currently the only method involves spending skill points. And possibly move Regen to heavy armor, since if youre wearing heavy armour you need to be able to sustain heavy hits.

Why not just allow greater damage mit in heavy-armor? +2 per slot instead of +1. It doesn't solve the not getting hit is better than getting hit issue, but on the higher levels increased damage mit will be more helpful. A hate mechanic is cool too, but there wouldn't be any reason to use heavy armor if you're going to have enemies coming after you and you can't handle the damage being thrown at you.

The two saving graces to keeping regan is that it is limited to a crafting die roll of 6. Not 6 or below, not 6 or above, just 6. That and the fact it takes all of an armors enhancement slot to employ. I don't know, keep it maybe because it helps provide some interesting build options, but I don't really know why someone would want it unless they were a combat build and didn't want bonuses skills in search, etc. It just seems so expensive, taking an entire piece of gear.

So here's the thing. Heavy Armor is for Tanks. You can get mitigation up to +8, instead of capping out at 5 through the skill with light armor. Also, shield skill Block does not stack with evasion. Evasion caps at 3 with the skill, but block goes up to 5, and the two don't stack

So a Tank could have 8 Mitigation and -5 to MD, which means they only get hit on a 9 or 10 (20% chance).

Light armor will still get hit on a 9 or 10 no matter how high your evasion, but if the boss has accuracy, that's gonna counter your evasion.

Also, if you're not tanking, you're not getting hit, so thorns, and savvy and regen are useless to you except in solo situations.

So it depends on how you build. Are you a solo player? Light Armor makes sense. Are you DPS? That's where the momentum skills come in, because they're not based on you getting hit or missed. Then it's pick your flavor, more damage, or more accuracy?

I wield a two-handed weapon as well because my character always has. I'm a team player but I'm more DPS than tank.

Actually, that's an underpowered weapon right there. Using both hands rather than one with no payoffs, and heavy armor users usually use two-handed weapons rather than a sword-and-board that people with leather armor go for historically. Perhaps the ability to block with a two handed weapon? But I guess that's off topic right now

I'll place some of these suggestions to staff once a few other issues have been fixed; perhaps a suggestion would be to make heavy momentum for heavy armor users only, I am not sure why it is available to both as it should only be there for the heavy users, but I will look into it

^Light Momentum(+1 Acc after you miss) is a Tailor only enhancement(leather/light armor) while Heavy Momentum(+1 Dmg after you miss) is a Blacksmith only enhancement(heavy armor). It has been so since the two were introduced.

Also Rapier users could use some perk instead of just being able to use a shield... like something that would give them more dmg...or some new stat.

We would love to have different builds etc, 
For instance, Ariel - we would not just limit that to rapier users; you are talking about one handed weapon users, and as someone who would never use a shield I would like more for single handed weapon users

But we also cannot forget the two handed weapon users.

-
Bear in mind that if we start giving individual weapons each their own stats it becomes far too hard to moderate; so staff probably would not go down that path, rather we would have X amount of enhancements solely for one handed users and X amount of enhancements solely for two handed users.

For instance, Ariel - we would not just limit that to rapier users; you are talking about one handed weapon users, and as someone who would never use a shield I would like more for single handed weapon users

-

Bear in mind that if we start giving individual weapons each their own stats it becomes far too hard to moderate; so staff probably would not go down that path, rather we would have X amount of enhancements solely for one handed users and X amount of enhancements solely for two handed users.

I think that would fine if there was an added distinction between one handed users with and without shields.

-

Oh! And don't forget martial arts users! Aka No handed weapon users!

Generally, we just need more diversity and some tolerance for those who stand outside of 'regular' builds. Differentiation and making sure builds can be better than other builds in their specialties but being balanced overall (which is sadly not the case at the moment)

I've got some generic builds here just for some idea of diversity:

- Sword and board (Sword and shield)

- Sword no board (Only a single sword)

- Cleaver (Two-handed and heavy armor)

- Tank (Hate and heavy armor)

- Glass cannon (Very light armor, high DPS)

- Martial (Light armor, no weapon)

Perhaps these too:

- Healer

- Combat Alchemist

- Beast Master

Hard to be a healer with no magic unless you are just going to throw crystals and potions to people. As for evasion vs Mitigation I would have to disagree with you on evasion being the better stat. Because of the dice system we utilize being able to mitigate all damage down to 1 I would say is better then decreasing your chances of getting hit. This came up in another thread when we discussed evasion tanking and the point was made that it isn't a reliable way to tank because there is nothing stopping you from getting crit'ed multiple times in a row. Look at it like this, if your only taking 1 damage a hit regardless of whether it is a critical or a normal attack it is going to take a long time to kill you. If you go evasion yes your going to dodge more attacks but critical's are going to hit you like a bus. I would say the two enhancements are balanced being assigned to their respective armor types.

As far as weapons go anyone not using a one-handed sword and shield is putting themselves at a disadvantage. I think an easy and simple way to fix this would be to give a small damage boost to two-handed weapons and a small accuracy boost when using only one, one-handed weapon. Upon equipping a shield you loose the bonus to accuracy.