[OP-F1] Out of the frying pan and into the fire

I stood at the arch that separates the main civilization from the wilderness on the first floor. Though the town was beautiful and the scenery amazing, I was terrified of the empty plains ahead. The words echoed through my head, telling me that I would be trapped here until the game was cleared.

A breeze flew through my hair like a gentle hand running through it, sending some of the red hair before my green eyes. I kept my breathing steady so I could remain calm, but even that proved to be a task for me at the moment.

Normally I wouldn't be afraid like this but I was still in shock from the news. Even the brave must have flinched our winced at the sound that they will not respawn, but that their lives will be deleted in the game and real life. The hub of town was too busy for me, which was why I was out on the outskirts like this.

A curved sword in my right hand was all I had besides some bread and water. How could such a tranquil environment look so... deadly simply by saying a couple words and coding in some effects in the game. She knew nobody because she never checked if any friends had the game, but she hoped now that nobody else did.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axios commonly traversed Floor 1, too scared to venture to the second one even though he was probably strong enough. He wanted to meet more people mainly, and then he saw a girl at the gate. Axios could care less, except that she was deep in thought. She kept glancing at her sword, but more importantly, looked out in the fields with fear in her eyes. Axios remembered when he was like that, and he wanted to return the favors from those acquaintances. What were their names again? Axios couldn't remember. His life has been a blur, only remembering a few events clearly. Axios shook it out of his head, he had to focus on the task at hand. Get the girl out there, of course only if she wanted to. Axios approached the girl and went to her side, looked out at the plains, and said, "Pretty beautiful huh? If you wanna go out there and possibly reach the frontlines, I can help you." Axios looked at the girl, only turning his head. "Or whatever you want? I'm fine anyway."

I glared into the field for a while apparently because next thing I knew, a voice asked if I wanted to go out into the fields. She turned her head with wide eyes. The gesture was kind as far as she could tell. The male didn't look too old or too young, which showed there were several younger players.

"I could never go out there." I said, even though that was a lie. I would eventually get out there, whenever I felt ready or became too stupid for my own good.

I then turned my body towards him and put away my weapon. Brushing away some of the hair that blew into my face, I had a generous smile. Reaching out my hand towards him I said, "The name is Alexis Hunter." I wasn't too sure on how things changed based on name sharing but I felt comfortable enough that I told him.

"Well, my name's Axios Deminence", he said while reaching out to shake hands with her. "You sure you could never go out there? I mean, it literally is a step away from this arch." Axios could understand her feelings. The feeling of being scared of the possibility of real death; not just the virtual kind. It's a frightening experience in itself. Axios always thought that the frontlines are always those who wanted out of the game, or those who just wanted the glory. However, Axios knew what he wanted to do. At the very least, help out. He got the feeling, the girl just didn't think she was ready, or that she just wanted to survive. "Like I said, anything is fine with me. So, want to talk about anything?", Axios asked the girl before sitting down and taking out bread and water. I'm going to have to gulp this thing down... Again? Axios embraced himself for the rough piece of bread as he chewed it, trying to swallow it even though it was so rough; in the end, washing it down with the water. "Ah...", Axios letting out his breath. Before getting embarassed and quickly said, "Sorry about that... It's just that the bread is really the only thing I've had, and plus it's rough."

I watched as the boy sat down and pulled out some bread and water. By the expression on his face it didn't seem like he enjoyed eating it. I sat down before him, as I just wanted some company at the moment and he was all that was too choose from, which didn't really matter to me.

I was going to get my food out, only to realize I don't have anything else either. "I want to go out, it's just the fact that I'm literally the lowest level one can be. It's a gamble either I die or I live and don't come close to death with anything but a boss."

The fact that this really was my reality was frightening, but the truth did put her mind at ease because at least she wouldn't be pondering it all day, which may or may not distract her.

"That's why you travel in groups. I've never ventured out far enough by myself, let alone go to floor 2 yet. I realize that I could go anytime-", Axios trailed off. A gamble of life or death. Isn't what everyone is also afraid of? Axios stared into the plains. It was just beautiful, only realizing that now. The beauty hid the danger, but the many probably haven't noticed the beauty from their fear. Axios chuckled to himself. "I won't be able to help you much, there's tons of people better suited to help you. Like I said, you'll know when you're ready. At the very least, eager- or courage-wise." I won't push her. I did come here just to do anything...

I turned my head to him as he seemed to realize the hidden beauty of the game. "Could you... help me train please?" I wanted to survive obviously but with a low level it made it extremely risky to go out there. At least if he came out there with me I would have a much higher chance of survival. Thoughts now flooded my mind. Were all people this kind or is he a rare type of player to encounter?

"I'd greatly appreciate it, even if it's no help, at least I will feel more comfortable leaving knowing someone is there to keep an eye over me until I became strong enough to last out there by myself" I said trying to make him feel like he really would help me, which in this case, he would. Plus he seemed like a decent guy.

After hours of walking around inside the town I thougth its time I head outside to explore whats behind the wall.

-Guess you cant experience this game to the fullest by just walking around on safe streets. When she headed to the gate she saw a red-haired girl and a boy talking. The girl looked a little anxious but it seems they gonna go outside. They was both higher levels then her, well almost everyone are at the moment. But now thats gonna change. She walked towards them. When she was just a few meters away she said.

-Excuse me, are you two heading out? I wonder if it would be okay if I join you?

"Hey calm down. No need to convince me. If you really think you can do this, then let's go", Axios told Hunter before a new girl arrived. "Of course you can head out with us, but here's a little thing I'd like to call a crash course. I don't know much, but might just be enough to help you two. Boars won't be able to kill you in one hit, but that means it's not a danger." Axios paused for a while. Looking back, remembering... Was one of them was named Zeri? Remembering his first adventure outside of the walls, Axios wondered if he looked like the two girls in front of them. No... Axios thought that couldn't be true. He was more like the newly-arrived girl. Raring to get at the action, sick of the inside of the walls. Hunter was worried about dying, most likely wanting to get stronger to just survive by herself. "You never introduced you to us... My name's Axios, and her name is Hunter. What's yours?"

Axios quickly brought up his menu and sent an invite to Hunter. Both to the party and friend list. "If you don't mind of course", Axios turned his head to Hunter trying to explain why he sent those requests.

-Sent friend request and party request to Hunter-

-Oh, so sorry. How rude of me. My name is Zandra Zvift. But you can call me just Zandra.

She said to Axios and smiled.

-Have been walking around the town for hours. It realy is amazing. I cant understand its just a game. Just oh my god. she said and watched on the terrain outside.

-Its so beutiful. she said to herself.

But then she looked at the couple she just met. Why was they so quick to accept her to join? Was they p-kers? The girl wasnt very high level but the boy more then twice as her. She didnt got the feeling they are, but you can never be to sure. Just have to watch my back she thougth.

Suddenly she realised she was staring at them. She shaked her head and replaced her expression to a relaxed smile.

-Thank you for letting me join.

"No problem", Axios responded. "It's the least I can do. I mean, I remember how I've felt before going out to adventure. Not too long ago..." Axios remembered about the few people that he had met. How they all compared to him in strength, wondering where they are. Axios was lost in thought. "Surprised you've noticed, I rarely do. Beautiful as it may be, most are focused on pure survival. Mostly for themselves. I want to help others rather than pursue my own selfish goals", Axios told Zandra. "Here, if you don't mind." Axios opened up his menu and sent both a friend and party request to her. "We'll be venturing out soon, unless something else happens."

-Sent friend and party request to Zandra-

((Sorry for the delay, I was hoping Hunter to post but it's all good. If someone wants to open up a PM or set-up a post order, feel free to tell.))

''Here, if you dont mind.'' Axios said as he opened up his menu. A screen poped up in front of Zandra with a friend request from Axios. She accepted and another screen with a party invite poped up, she accepted that one as well. ''We'll be venturing out soon, unless something else happens.'' Axios continued. ''So, where have you been during your first days in Aincrad?'' Zandra asked when first looking at Hunter and then Axios. ''Myself Ive just become an alchemist and opened up a shop at the market. So now it would be nice to head out and do something exciting outside the walls.'' she continued to not make the same mistake again to ask something and not telling something about her. ''Thou I only have this basic dagger and no armor, but soon when Ive gathered some Col Im gonna be better equiped for going outside alone. Thats why I was so glad when I saw others that also was heading out. Higher chance you survive that way.'' She hoped she didnt sounded like a coward, but well, she just said what was true. And start a friendly relationship with lies is not a good way to start.

"No, definitely true. I remember my first time heading out. Literally threw my knife up into the air and tried to make sure I just survived", Axios chuckled, revisiting old memories. Zeri... Szuriex... And Noctis? Axios had a puzzled look on his face. He was surprised that he could remember that little piece of information. Axios started trying to remember other things that had happened since then. Nothing else popped up. "Well... You see... I opened up my tailor shop, and mostly roam the first floor. That is... Until I know I'm strong enough to handle myself." Axios paused. Wondering if that day will ever happen. "Well, let's head off then. Where do you guys wanna go? There's many places on floor 1, it is the biggest floor." I can't let them die if I possibly can. "Also, what do you wanna do?"

I watched as the two players began to discuss before myself. I was hesitant to accept the request he had sent me, but eventually I accepted the party invite. "I'm sorry but I don't want someone on my friends list that I don't even really know. Perhaps in time I'll accept the second request" I said, feeling bad for turning the poor guy down.

I continued to listen in on the two talking but didn't really put much context and dialogue out myself. In fact I just wanted to get this training over with so that I can make my way through this game stronger and hopefully catch up to the front lines quickly.

Tapping my foot to the ground I waited. Time was passing and daylight was burning virtually in the blue sky with a fake sun.

Skylar watched the group of people talking carefully, from the tall patch of grass he was sitting in. The sun was shinning and it seemed like they were taking forever to make a decision on something. Rutta was getting restless and the snow leopard walked out and moved towards the group. Rutta was always too brave like that, just walking up to strangers in a calm manner, attacking dangerous beasts, and even listening when Skylar sings.

Moving to a crawl position, he peeked at his leopard rubbing against the leg of a girl who was tapping her leg, as if impatient. Then he waited for something to happen.

''Well, now when we have itroduce each other, lets head out and explore. Maybe killing mobs or find a low to middle lvl dungeon. I would like to add some kills on my list. Have only a few simple enemys at the moment.'' Zandra looke at Hunter when she stood there and tapping her foot on the ground. ''Are you in a hurry Hunter? Or just bored in just stand here and talking? Well, anyway lets go out, start with the fields outside the walls?'' She look at the two players in front of her and waited for them to a agree or disagree.

"Uh... Hunter, you already have a familiar?", Axios asked. He pointed at the leopard at her feet. This is weird... I doubt that this is Hunter's seeing as she's scared to go out of Starting City and I didn't see it earlier... Axios took a quick look around. Nothing unusual. The occasional wind blowing and making the grass twitch. He couldn't see anything out of normal. "Nevermind that, if it isn't yours, hopefully it isn't a PKer's. Let's start heading out, I don't want to stick around outside the walls after sundown if possible." Axios still had an uneasy feeling. He was almost certain that someone else was nearby. A player was watching them, for what reason, he didn't know. Axios took out his knife, even though no monsters were in sight, just in case there would be an attack. Can't let anyone PK these people, can I? If these people are here, I'll try to protect them.

Skylar sat and watched as Rutta weaved between the one called Hunter. It really did not seem as if she noticed the graceful little white beast. In fact the only who seemed to have noticed first pulled a knife.

"No that is weird" Skylar whispered to himself. Judging by the knife Skylar doubted he was a PK'er, a PK'er would have a better weapon. What was weird was the fact that he pulled it out after looking at Rutta. Very smart of him to recognize someone else's familiar. Not so wise as to figure out someone with a familiar would be harder to kill. Showing a lack of experience as far as Skylar could tell. Still he made no move to get out the grass and reveal his presence. Skylar was already prepped for a battle. Not that he would start a needless fight.

Zandra walked pass the other two and hopefully they would follow, otherwise she will just turn around and go back to them. Suddenly she herd someone draw a weapon. She turned around on the spot and saw Axios stood there with a dagger in his hand. ‘’What Axios, what is i…’’ Before she finished her sentence she saw the white beast on the ground. She followed Axios exampled and draw her dagger too.

"Is there anybody out there?", Axios called out. Whether or not there was someone, he had to know if this was someone's familiar. He didn't know much about familiars. Could it be a dead player's or abandoned? Axios scanned the horizon. "We mean no harm, but if you do, we have no choice." Axios kept on looking. Nervous tension started to increase. He didn't like the chances of fighting against a familiar. Axios bent down to it, and held out his hand. Try to show some sign of respect if he even could. Maybe even show the familiar's master that he could trust them. Knowing that this may be one of Axios' biggest mistakes ever, he continued with his palm upward and in front of the familiar. "My name's Axios, what's yours?", Axios talked with it. He didn't feel too weird for talking to a piece of code. Something with no heartbeat. He just wanted to find out what was going on at that moment.

((Sorry about not posting for a while. Finals are coming up and... Yeah... Have to study...))