A question of Time Saving or Wanting to Frontline

Boss Fight Questions  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Player Limiting (Maximum)

• I do not want a Limit of any kind
    • I want a 10 player Limit
    • I want a Limit somewhere under 10
    • I want a Limit above 10 (Specify below)
    • I am more than okay with someone soloing it or a Small group handling it
    • Other (Specify Below)

I am going to make this plain and simple: As things stand right now, we are far behind in Floors. And While for most of you, Roleplaying on the first 10 thus far hasn't been a problem and you might quite enjoy it. However, there are many of us who have been stuck on the First few floors for Over 6 months. I'd like to point out that can be handled if we decrease the influx of Frontliners. The solution to this is, I propose a Limit to our amounts. Now, I'd like to state that this is to be only a Temporary limit, and it may be lifted in the future, if even instated, as we catch back up to where we should be. That being said, If you do not want a limit, let us know. I have things to vote upon, This Poll will run until June 20th, and I will send the statistics to the GMs on that day.

This poll is in no way affiliated with, supported, maintained, or endorsed by the Sword Art Online RPG site or any of its staff. This is an independent poll to implore the subjectivity of the community. All information in this poll is subject to use or rejection by the staff. If you have any further question, please contact the creator of this thread (Zelruis) or leave a post below. Thank you.

POLL OFFICALLY ENDS: 12:01AM (00:01 for you technical folk)  EST JUNE 20th

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would honestly love to have Mari solo it; I'd even give up A Unique at the end of the battle to show that I don't care about claiming 2 uniques, I simply want to see if I can XD ahahaaa

But as GM I have the interest of the site in mind. And would personally doubt the limit would ever go below 10 that is simply limiting it too much for players.

I'm fine with a limit that caps at 10, That being said, with a limit, how do we justify who participates? How do we make it fair for those who want to front-line but can because the signup filled to quickly or some other random unfortunate reason? Will there be some type of qualifications aside from the standard ones? How do we keep a certain balance between the masses? Just some questions to get discussion started.

The limit Idea is good for the summer to crunch down on boss fights. However while we're doing this just in case we have a slew of like 20 volunteers why not run two boss fights at the same time. Either one boss is a floor ahead or it's the same floor and there just fighting it separately in two actual threads but in RP the story is they all fought together.

After taking a look at our current boss thread, I'm not sure putting a player cap would help move it along any faster. To me the problem seems to be that people who are participating are not staying active. Taking that into consideration I could see the following change maybe being effective.

Instead of the 24 hour skip rule we have now maybe we could implement a system where the next player could post before the 24 hours is up. For example after 8 hours the next person may post and the thread could continue on. The original poster would have until his turn came back around to then post otherwise his turn would be skipped and he would then have 8 hours to use his next turn. It might make it a little more difficult to keep the posting order straight but so long as there is no double posting it should be ok. I feel like this would give players some forgiveness if they can't get online but still keep the thread moving. In our current boss fight we have had days go by with no posting since multiple people in a row had to be skipped and the full 24 hours have to pass between each one.

That's why I added that they wouldn't actually get skipped until it came back around to their next turn. That being said I understand this plan has flaws, but as far as speeding up the threads go I don't think placing a cap would really have a lot of effect. I mean this fight only has four people, the only thing slowing it down is all the 24 hour turn skips that have been happening

Guest Meokka

Why not finish the arena. After beating bosses their data is then recorded and sent to the arena for safe arena battles. This way everyone can have a chance at trying to fight a boss. I"m not sure how you'd handle the item drop in this scenario though. That way people who want to try their hand at bosses can without feeling locked out. I also don't think GMs should really kill bosses. You guys aren't Kayaba after all, or ARE YOU?! Bum bum bum! JK. Either that or have the boss respawn on a monthly baises so even new players can eventually take it on. That's just my thoughts on the matter if you limit it. I can see why you'd limit it too because otherwise you'd wait forever for your turn.

Edit: (Ya all replied before I clicked send)

24 hours gives everyone in all time zones plenty of time to reply. My night time is everyone else's day time. I would never reduce the 24 hour period to an 8 hour one. There would be no 8 hour post then giving the other a chance to post thing. It needs to go in a order to help GM's running it and to help keep things uniform.

There are already rules in place where if you are skipped 3 times you void any Col/SP/loot rewards. There is also a system in place where if you are skipped you loose 5HP This helps reduce the chance of someone being skipped.

Meokka:
To state that a GM cannot fight/participate in/or kill a Floor boss is incredibly unfair on the GM. GM's go in with no extra bonuses or stats, I can say that all GM's except Zero don't even know what the next floor bosses will be. So we do not even have that advantage. That's like saying. "Hey, you are doing all this work for the site, but you can't participate in a core aspect of the site because you are doing all this work for it for free, so too bad you can't enjoy it."

Furthermore, Floor bosses would not be spawned in the arena; as they are just that, floor bosses. IF they were in the arena; they would not drop uniques. Or offer the SP and Col that they offer in the primary battle thread. We want to keep things close to Canon, those things are not canon. So would probably not be implemented on the site.

I like limits and I like first come first serve. If you happen to miss it, too darn bad, try again later. I’m for imposing more limits. I like that here’s time windows for player turn on bosses I also think they should affect whether or not you can be included in the next boss fight if you miss too many. I think if you miss more 2 or more turns in the boss fight, it should exclude you from joining the next. This gives other players a chance to rotate in as well as keeps things moving faster so that boss fights can happen more often.   It’s strict, but it keeps things moving and keeps people motivated to do the work or be excluded from play. 

Azazel: That is something I would like to implement in the next boss battle. 

Zephyr L: That is exactly why they aren't removed, and instead incur a 5 damage penalty; if you went inactive in a boss battle in SAO you'd probably die, same goes for this one. If i had it my way, and you were inactive for the whole fight, The person would be killed off, but that is too mean/extreme.

Azazel: That is something I would like to implement in the next boss battle. 

Zephyr L: That is exactly why they aren't removed, and instead incur a 5 damage penalty; if you went inactive in a boss battle in SAO you'd probably die, same goes for this one. If i had it my way, and you were inactive for the whole fight, The person would be killed off, but that is too mean/extreme.

Its hardly mean unless they have good reasons like someone in their family died,house burnt down, ETC and not something like them just not feeling like rping  then they should lose their char if they go poof during a boss fight

Guest Meokka

@ Mari

Well anime wise we don't really know everything that went on. Mostly do to skips. Though if we went with the games (Which I've never played) I'm sure all the levels are thought out with arenas ect. But I actually don't know. Either way there's a lot we don't know from the show or manga alone because it skips floors. So what's to say they didn't have that? (yes I know they don't respawn, monsters didn't either. Considering people complained about how there was nothing to kill because a guild took out the smaller mobs for exp, so that's an issue) I only say this so then people who come in lets say a year later when there are very few bosses left don't feel like they can't try their hand at it. 

I don't recall saying you got extra bonuses. So that's cool that you guys CAN die. Makes it more interesting. The trouble I have with GMs taking out bosses is that it overshadows players. Though I understand you're player moderators. Thus the title. You're kinda like that cool cat that knows everything and helps out the kiddies with their things but you're still the player. I've just been in a lot of table tops and forum rps where the GM plays a player and players use that as a crouch, or the GM becomes the focus and people lose interest. It's more a warning than anything. I'd hate for something like that to happen. 

Everyone is going to want to be at the front lines sooner or later. Again a few months from now newbies will join, and they might get discouraged they can't get leveled fast enough to do so. This is why I suggested placing them in the arena. This way everyone can have a chance of fighting the bosses.

I don't like the fact we can't ever face the boss again. EVER. One time only and it's done. You state you want to be close to the anime. Okay. Than there shouldn't be a limit because in the anime and manga they have armies take down bosses. Which would be bad for a forum rp because of posting, probably why we're having this poll. Ten and lower is more manageable with people missing turns. Instead of everyone on site trying to do it. This is why again I make the proposal of at LEAST placing the bosses inside the arena. This makes it a more fair environment for new comers later, and those who still wish to fight it. This is just my personal opinion. I'm not asking for a debate. Just that I'm heard.

@ Mari

Well anime wise we don't really know everything that went on. Mostly do to skips. Though if we went with the games (Which I've never played) I'm sure all the levels are thought out with arenas ect. But I actually don't know. Either way there's a lot we don't know from the show or manga alone because it skips floors. So what's to say they didn't have that? (yes I know they don't respawn, monsters didn't either. Considering people complained about how there was nothing to kill because a guild took out the smaller mobs for exp, so that's an issue) I only say this so then people who come in lets say a year later when there are very few bosses left don't feel like they can't try their hand at it. 

I don't recall saying you got extra bonuses. So that's cool that you guys CAN die. Makes it more interesting. The trouble I have with GMs taking out bosses is that it overshadows players. Though I understand you're player moderators. Thus the title. You're kinda like that cool cat that knows everything and helps out the kiddies with their things but you're still the player. I've just been in a lot of table tops and forum rps where the GM plays a player and players use that as a crouch, or the GM becomes the focus and people lose interest. It's more a warning than anything. I'd hate for something like that to happen. 

Everyone is going to want to be at the front lines sooner or later. Again a few months from now newbies will join, and they might get discouraged they can't get leveled fast enough to do so. This is why I suggested placing them in the arena. This way everyone can have a chance of fighting the bosses.

I don't like the fact we can't ever face the boss again. EVER. One time only and it's done. You state you want to be close to the anime. Okay. Than there shouldn't be a limit because in the anime and manga they have armies take down bosses. Which would be bad for a forum rp because of posting, probably why we're having this poll. Ten and lower is more manageable with people missing turns. Instead of everyone on site trying to do it. This is why again I make the proposal of at LEAST placing the bosses inside the arena. This makes it a more fair environment for new comers later, and those who still wish to fight it. This is just my personal opinion. I'm not asking for a debate. Just that I'm heard.Th

The light novel does not skip floors the anime did it to save time and space other wise aincrad alone would of been 26 episodes long

I  can assure you after a year there will still be over half the floors to go, no doubt. Ahaha

If it is a real concern for a number of players I can propose it to staff to have them maybe as randomly occuring event bosses within the arena. Or something similar. However again, the uniques would not be dropped for it.

GM's on site are not GM's in Character. :)

The trouble I have with GMs taking out bosses is that it overshadows players. Though I understand you're player moderators. Thus the title. You're kinda like that cool cat that knows everything and helps out the kiddies with their things but you're still the player. I've just been in a lot of table tops and forum rps where the GM plays a player and players use that as a crouch, or the GM becomes the focus and people lose interest. It's more a warning than anything. I'd hate for something like that to happen. 

I can see how that would be a bother, but it's also doubtful to happen here. Here it seems the more adept and known a player is, is the basis for that. Regardless of staff status. I would never, and have never used my GM status as a crouch, and if any staff member uses their status to help them out - please do not hesitate to PM one of us or an admin to let them know as that is totally not on. 

I know Mari is a heavy focus for some things, but that's more so to do with her character; not with myself being a GM. but I digress; getting a tad off topic here.

We have event bosses that come and go (Granted we have not had one in a while, as I am sorta the only site active GM whilst Oske is taking a leave and Zero works on other matters) and that is what we use in place of having monsters respawn. So events like the most recent one was Cupid. When this floor boss is done I will organize another event boss similar to that, one that anyone regardless of level can join.

Naturally we want to give new users somethign to do, its why I am also working hard on quests and 'mini bosses' in those quests for new users to do. For instance I have one that you can only challenge if you are below level 10 . :)  instead of putting a minimum level I am placing max level.

Guest Meokka

I LOVE that max level idea very much <3

Even if the completionest in me hates it, because I can't do it as I'm above that level XD Though I love it.

Respawning boss event sounds like a nifty idea. Event bosses are always good and have been in the show.

I really need to pick up the light novels and power through them. BAM (books a million) has it here in town

Back on topic

Yes it should have a limit of 10 IF there is a way they can be found by other groups who never got a chance to fight it. Because believe me. People will want to fight it.