[PP-F1-10] Confronting the Darkness, A Friendly Adventure (Takao, Mari)

Lowenthal was trolling the plains of the first floor, enjoying the weather no this floor the most. It was always nice on the First Floor, the sun was always shining and it was never too hot. Lowenthal hid a smile under his face mask as he walked along. Ninken, his ever faithful pug familier followed behind him, his ninja headband shining in the sun's light. Lowenthel took the note of a single, lone tree. "How about a small break?" Lowenthal asked his ninja pug companion. Ninken yipped, as always. Lowenthal wondered what his dog was saying half the time. Lowenthal thought about it, and took a small break under the shade of the tree. He didn't fall asleep, he just relaxed.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A troubled expression had set onto Takao's face some time ago. He strolled along a beaten path with a menu in his face, pressing a button or sifting through a list every so often. Eventually he swiped the menu away and rubbed his face vigorously before shifting his attention to the scenery. Wandering from one town to the next was mostly boring affair despite the potential threat of death looming overhead, even with his low level. He huffed out a breath and yawned, his arms stretching upward as he walked. "I could grind some, maybe... or I could look for another quest. I wanna be at least level ten before I head off to the next floor." His mind was so clouded with thoughts that the unusual figure he'd spotted from the corner of his eye had almost gone unnoticed.

He stopped in his tracks and turned, blinking a few times. He hadn't seem many people with interesting gear, much less one with a familiar as well. His curiousity finally got the better of him and he quickly made his way over to the resting player without much regard for hiding his approach.

"Hey!" He greeted in a cheerful tone accompanied by a wave. "That's a really cool familiar!"

Lowenthal's quiet was interrupted by a greeting. He looked up, and saw a teenager. "Oh? Ninken?" Lowenthal said, noting that the dog had fallen asleep on his lap. "Yeah he's a real catch." Lowenthal pulled his face mask down, and showed off his smile. "I'm Lowenthal. And you would be?" Lowenthal asked, not wanting to converse with a complete stranger. Lowenthal did have a knack for attracting male players, and he wondered why that happened. He shrugged off the thoughts, and put his mind back in the conversation with the young man.

The large, warm smile that Takao wore seemed completely natural, almost as if it hadn't occurred to him that he may have been disrupting somebody's peace and quiet. His gaze set on the dog for a moment before returning to Lowenthal. "Oh, right! I forgot my manners." His expression grew apologetic as he rubbed the back of his head. "I'm Takao." His hand dropped down to his neck and he scratched the underside of his chin. "So uh... I was wondering. You seem like you know what you're doin', so... Do you have any advice for somebody that's just starting out?"

Lowenthal looked at Takao. "Takao, huh? Not a bad name." Lowenthal complimented. Lowenthal thought about his question. "Well, I suppose we could start with potions. I actually needed to get a few potions myself." Lowenthal said, standing. Ninken rolled off his lap, and landed on his feet. The small dog yipped, and exactly ran around Takao. Lowenthal chuckled. "Yeah, he's a friendly Ninken." Lowenthal said, starting to walk back to town. "So, Takao. First question is, what weapon do you main?" Lowenthal asked.

Takao grinned and chuckled lightly at the compliment. “Aha, thanks. I didn't think that people would be using aliases so I thought my real name would be alright. Guess it doesn't matter too much either way.†He watched Lowenthal stand, and soon his attention was on the dog that circled him, to which he smiled fondly at. Takao nodded along with the suggestion to acquire potions and followed alongside Lowenthal as he began making his way toward the town. When the topic of his weapon arose, a wide grin appeared on his face.

He gripped the sword's handle and pulled it from the scabbard on his side, then thrust it into the air in front of him while they walked. “Behold! The one handed straight starter sword!†He pulled his arm back and idly rubbed the vaguely reflective surface. “Truly a formidable and deeply revered weapon.†He snickered and slid the sword back into the scabbard. “I've been workin' on a quest to get a better one. Probably gonna get some light armour to go along with it too.â€

Lowenthal walked and flinched as Takao drew his weapon. As Takao joke, Lowenthal chuckled with him. "Nice. May I make a slight suggestion though. I would learn how to use a shield with that blade." Lowenthal said, thinking of Oikawa, a man he had fought 3 time, and lost against 3 times. "You can get a pretty nasty build with a shield. And as for light armor, I'm your guy." Lowenthal said jamming a thumb at his chest. Before he knew it, they had arrived at the teleportation pad. "Alright, the floor we're going to is completely dark. I find it best to close my eyes when I teleport, as to not be sunblind when we get there." Lowenthal stepped onto the tele pad. "Alright, Floor 10!" Lowenthal said, before being whisked away. When he opened his eyes he was inside the damp and dark cave that was floor 10. He awaited for Takao to appear and when he did Lowenthal spoke. "Hey, I'm over here. Try to stay close okay?" Lowenthal said, making his way to the all too familiar tent that was 'Alchemic Contagion.' "Alright, here's the spot." Lowenthal said, walking in. "Hello, Mari? You in?" Lowenthal said, in an hushed tone.

Takao's eyes watched Lowenthal as he flinched. He glanced down at the blade on his side and pursed his lips. It was easy for him to forget that this wasn't just a game anymore, no matter how much it felt like it. He'd have to remember to reel in how liberal he was with waving his weapons around. “A shield, huh?†He exhaled a breath from his nose and nodded. It was a fair and logical suggestion, there wasn't much reason not to use a shield, especially if he was planning on sacrificing damage mitigation for mobility. Takao's attention was grabbed at the mention of light armour.

“Oh, really? You're a tailor then! I'll have to buy some equipment off you sometime then.†The teleportation pad was within sight. He had seen others use it, but had never done so himself. He watched Lowenthal closely and nodded along to the advice. “Eyes closed, right.†Lowenthal disappeared in a fantastic display of lights, and after speaking the same floor number, Takao appeared in the dark cave.

He crept alongside Lowenthal and glanced around constantly. To say the least, it was unsettling. It gave him that feeling in his chest that acted as a precursor to misfortune. “Yeah... don't gotta tell me that twice. This place gives me the creeps already.†A tent laid before them and he entered after his guide of sorts, opting to stay quiet and observe.

Mari had her beaker and small, table cauldron sitting in front of her, and a small, stained off white cloth. She had finished cleaning the beaker and was now working on the cauldron. "Eh?" Her eyes rose to meet Lowenthal. She didn't exactly know the man too well, except that he had been a part of Absolute Pile o' Crud - and was a frequent buyer of her 'Calming Honey'

"Well Hello there..." Mari purred as she watched the man enter, if he were to look at her eyes. He'd note that they were bloodshot, tired, puffy. She had been teary with her encounter with Arc, and the recent upheaval of pained memories, but she would never admit that. "Come here for more Honey?" She tilted her head, peering behind him.

"You brought a friend mmm?"

Lowenthal smiled at Mari. "Well hello there again. I took your advice and left Absolute Pin." Lowenthal said, looking around for health potions, and the like. He wrinkled his nose at not finding anything. "Not today I'm afraid. I still have a few." Lowenthal said, answering her question about the honey. He looked at Mari, and couldn't see much  other than her pink hair and green eyes, signaling her night vision. "This is Takao, he's sort of new to the whole 'adventuring' thing. So I'm kinda of showing him the ropes." Lowenthal stepped aside, and introduced Takao. "Takao, this is Mari. Probably the best Alchemist in all of Aincrad." Lowenthal said, stating his opinion. 

Takao glanced past Lowenthal while examining the interior of the tent. He listened to them as they spoke, but his interests were firmly set on looking around. The location was peculiar, he thought. She could surely have more customers if she were located in a town somewhere, couldn't she? It wasn't until his name was spoken and Lowenthal moved that he shifted his attention to the two – or what he could see of the two, at least. “The best in Aincrad, huh? That's awesome!†A small half smile of amazement appeared on his face as he turned to the focus of the conversation.

He offered up a wide smile and raised his hand up for a leisurely wave. “Nice t'meetcha', Mari!â€

Mari gave Lowenthal a wry grin as he stated he left Absolute Pin. "And here I thought you were just a bumbling idiot." She mused, as she stood up and moved out from behind her low standing counter - only to sit on it, with her legs crossed. "I can't help but notice a different guild icon by your name - one I don't recognize. Did you join another so  hastily?" She inquired. She wanted to keep tabs on guilds. It seemed that Absolute Pin would soon be no more. 

Her blue eyes shifted to Takao as Lowenthal stated he was new to adventuring, "Oh, is he now?" Mari asked, "And you bought him to me?"

The youths eyes were set on taking in every little detail of her tent, "I cannot claim to be the best." Mari stated, "But from word of mouth, I can assume I am one o' the best. Now..." She stood up, approaching Takao, draping an arm around his shoulder. "I can't help but notice your eyes wandering around my store, see anything you like? mmm?"

Lowenthal chuckled, at Mari's satisfaction. "Well, glad to disprove you then." Lowenthal said chuckling. "And actually, that symbol is for the guild I made." Lowenthal explained. He watched as she drifted over to Takao. "Well, he needs to get started somehwere. Figured the items that would keep him from dieing would be the best bet." Lowenthal said, explaining his reasoning to Mari. Lowenthal then quietly went back to perusing Mari's wares, as she and Takao talked.

Takao turned his attention to Lowenthal at the mention of a guild icon. He had noticed it before, but didn't pay much attention to it. Now that he was aware of its purpose, it had caught his attention. He pulled his attention away from the icon and glanced over at Mari. He noticed she sported a similar icon of a different design, denoting her affiliation with a different guild. She spoke with Lowenthal for a moment, presenting him with some time to resume looking around the shop. Once he was returned to the subject of the conversation, he flicked his attention back their way.

“Ayep, I'm pretty green. But I've done a quest or two by myself, some grinding too, just nothin' serious. Not yet, anyway.†Takao said as he watched her walk over to him. He didn't move or flinch when her arm fell over his shoulders, instead offering a small smile.

“It's kinda hard not to look around when there's a bunch of neat stuff everywhere.†He gave her question a thought and gave the tent another quick look around. “Hm... To be honest, I don't really know what any of this stuff does.â€

"Mmm, battle wise I sell crystals - faar better than potions. As their effect is instantaneous. Of course, I have a stranglehold on the market so my prices could be steep, but I like to think that they are very reasonable..." Mari began, pressing Takao tighter to her body. "That's the boring stuff, the interesting stuff are the vials..." Mari continued, urging Takao to follow her to the left hand side of the tent, where the table with all the labelled vials sat. There were not that many available, and Mari sighed at the less than impressive amount. "I am low on stock, of course, that just suggests I have popular items, no?"

She let go of Takao, guiding him to look at the wares, turning to Lowenthal. "Your own guild mm?" She tapped her lip in mock thought, "Ahh...competition...is it wise to tell a guild leader of your guild. I hear there is a lot of tension going around with those sort of things, I'd be careful if I were you. Still.." Mari gave him a hard flick in the forehead. "Congratulations on leaving that dud of a group."

Lowenthal turned around at the mention of crystals. He had hoped that they were talking about healing crystals, but they were just talking about crystals in general. Lowenthal sighed, not able to find any healing crystals. He guessed Mari really did have the best potions and crystals, seeing as she was all but sold out. Lowenthal peered away from the small bottle of labeled water, wondering why it was on sale when Mari went back to talking to him. "Well, yes. My own guild. I know you happen to be the leader of the Cerulean Silence. So as a formalit-" Lowenthal stopped short as she flicked him on the forehead. "Hey, what was that for?" Lowenthal asked, rubbing his forehead. He hadn't noticed it before, but Mari had to get right up on him to hit his head. He knew he was a little over six foot, but she was no taller than what, five and a half? However she manage to get his forhead, Lowenthal noticed a strange scent. It was strange, due to it being out of place. "Mari? Forgive me for being so forward, but you smell nice. Not like the rest of this musty and dank floor." Lowenthal said, trying to compliment the pink haired PK'er.

“A stranglehold, huh?†He chuckled lightly as he was pressed tighter, his thumbs hooking over the belt loops of his pants. “You must be makin' profits like mad if you have a monopoly on healing items.†He made a mental note to remember her trade, as well as the usefulness of crystals over potions. Having not encountered either on his journey thus far, the information was greatly appreciated. She mentioned her low stock and he shrugged slightly, a smile still present on his face as he was lead to one side of the alchemist's boutique.

“You sell items that can heal people instantaneously. I think calling them popular would be a bit of an understatement.†He cast her a sidelong glance as her attention shifted over to Lowenthal, then looked toward Lowenthal over his shoulder, and finally turned his head forward to browse the wares. Everything seemed to catch his attention, so he found an item at random to examine, opting to read its description to learn of its effects.

Mari shrugged as Lowenthal asked her what her action was for, why on earth she would flick him in the head, "Who knows. I ain't a nice person, so maybe I just did it to get a reaction outta ya." She crossed her arms, and shifted her weight to one side, ensuring that both of the youths were in her line of sight. "You were speaking of formalities?"

Her blue eyes wandered to Takao, as he gave a light hearted laugh, mentioning profits. "I suppose so - I honestly got so much Col I don't know what to do with it. I've just hit around the 50k mark. There have been whispers of housing being released soon - but I have no need to buy a house, not to mention - even with the Col I have amassed, I doubt I would be able to afford it."

It was then, that Lowenthal commented that she smelt nice. "Oh?" Mari asked, "I suppose it's from working within my tent, many of my potions have a pleasant smell...speaking of which..." Mari began, flitting back toward Takao.

"I can't help but notice you're looking at the Starry Eyed Illusion..." She said as her hand clasped around Takao's, urging him to hold it up to the light. 
"Pretty, no?"

Name: Starry Eyed Illusion
Effect: Whoever drinks this will find themselves staring at their hearts desire, is it a person? A food? Or do you hear a song? The effects are vast; but are fleeting. You can tell if someone is under the influence of this potion as it appears that there are stars in their eyes. This lasts 10 posts.
Description: The liquid itself looks like a galaxy, if you shake the liquid it looks like a galaxy is forming. You almost do not want to drink it, but you do - and you feel as though you just jumped into a cool, pure spring. Your eyes cloud and you find yourself before what you desire most; forgetting for the briefest of moments that it is all just an illusion.

Lowenthal chuckled. "If you didn't have that orange arrow above your head, I wouldn't believe for a moment that you're a bad person." Lowenthal said, laughing to himself. "Still having a hard time about that as well." he said to himself, crossing his arms. He walked over to see what the commotion was about. And what he saw was extraordinary. "Is that even a potion? It looks like a galaxy in that bottle." He stared at the potion, dumbfounded. "It's almost as pretty as Mari." Lowenthal said, trying to crack a small joke. And wanted to see how far he could go.

Takao was careful about everything he touched when he'd found something that interested him. He'd usually only hold it for a few fleeting seconds before setting it down. He really didn't want to go breaking something, or worse, accidentally using them. Causing trouble wasn't something that he usually did, but with how clumsy he'd been lately while fighting, he wasn't exactly going to take any chances. His ears twitched slightly as he listened to the conversation behind him, not paying much mind to what was said beyond acknowledging the fact that the two were speaking.

He picked up a peculiar looking item and examined it, though he couldn't see well in the slight darkness. When he heard a set of footsteps approach, he cocked his head to the side, noticing Mari once she urged his hands toward the light. “Huh?†His momentary confusion faded quickly, and he obliged her motion, raising the object to the light. “Whoa, check that out!†His emerald eyes looked in awe at the item, a broad smile forming on his face.

“This is awesome! What's it do?†He asked, his words lined with a curious tone as he looked aside to Mari.