Blacklisting Character/Guild Names

Guild Names?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Guild Names?

• Disallow all users and staff from starting a guild with a name used in the franchise?
    • Disallow all users except for staff?
    • Allow both users and staff to use SAO guild names for their guild?

A tidbit that came up, obviously we blacklisted the character names from being used on this site. To make things fair and equal to everybody. But what about guild names? Names of guilds that were used in the anime, guilds are perfectly acceptable to create right this second, but should the names of guilds from the anime not be allowed?

Disallow all users and staff from starting a guild with a name used in the franchise?

Disallow all users except for staff?

Allow both users and staff to use SAO guild names for their guild?

You be the judge!

Also for that matter, what about character names? Should they ever be allowed? Should they be reserved? Or should the blacklist be taken down?

I agree that we don't want anyone RPing Canon characters, since we're trying to create our own story here. >O Yui may be an A.I. present in the game's structure, but methinks if she gets involved it ought to be as an NPC, either mod-controlled or controlled by someone who is helping a mod with the plot n stuff.

However, if the same guild name is used, it won't mean we've got the same background/motivating/story elements at play. It's less original and fun than people making up their own guild names, too, so I don't think we need to worry about official guild names being used since it's likely everyone would prefer original ones anyways. Seems like something a rule isn't necessary for, but if someone had a reason to use a canon guild name I'm sure it wouldn't be bad either.

I vote we keep the blacklist on chara names without any reservations since character should be a pretty personal thing in this environment and a name could be symbolic to something or mean something personal to the player or who that character is. And I'ma agree with Mythee, guild names I'm not as picky on since it'd be in name only. I'd imagine most people would want to express their creativity and make up their own guild with its own theme for the most part, but if they copy a name then meh *shrug*

• 4 months later...

I know I may not have much say in this matter... But. I agree with the "not Sao original names of guilds" thing. It's not really fair. This game should be given the choice of free imagination to think of their own guild names. And I wouldn't think "Fairy Tail guild" or any from that series world be aloud either... Because its an actual series's and that would be stealing. Like I said...I may not have much say in this matter..but I just wanted to get that off my chest..thx for letting me say what I wanted and I hope this game can soon start having guild. =^.^=

My personal opinion relates with both the opposing and agreeing side. I think that other anime guild names like Cicila said (FairyTail) should not be allowed, however, I believe that you should have a contest. Like whoever does the best RP on that topic, then they get to choose a name like Kirito or Asuna. For the blacklisted guild, I think that staff and players should be able to be used like Moonlit Black Cats or Knights of the Blood. I hope you will agree.

-Snow

The contest could also create chaos so.....

Maybe just what I'm trying to say is that I agree with Mythee and I think it would make the game more interesting, I mean this is SAO role-play. For the matter of guilds, My opinion is that everyone should be able to use guild name from SAO. I mean how awesome would it be to be in the Knights of the Blood, now that would be awesome. *Basically what I'm getting at is* If its going to be an RPG than we shouldn't have any blacklisted names.

-Snow again

i guess im the only one who voted against being able to use guild names from the show but i also believe that, and this is just an idea, that you should get the permission of the Administrators in order to 1 start the guild in the first place, and 2 get the guild name approved by them, only to prevent things like "The Kick-ass Guild" or "Titans Gonna Die Guild" or any other name related to another anime, or faction like the "KKK" of "Neo-Nazi's". but those are just my thoughts