[PP-F2] By the Horns (Kane, Haine and Miaki)CLOSED

<> was a relatively quiet town, at least compared to the hustle and bustle of Starting City. The sun always seemed to be perpetually setting here, right up until it surprised you by actually turning into night. The settlement was around 300 meters wide, carved right into the large mountain that housed the labyrinth leading back down to the first floor.

Kane let the golden sunlight wash over him, turning his normal dark green ensemble into a brighter affair. The light seemed to dance and wash over his enormous Two-Handed Sword, <>, the Mithral and Adamantine blending to lend the blade a luminescent, otherworldly gleam. It was strapped to his back, the flared point almost touching the ground, while its ornate handle was visible over his right shoulder. The man who was once John Riley was ambidextrous, but he didn't know if the game would recognize that, so he kept it on the default side.

His tattered green cloak's bonus to <> would be useless in this battle, but he kept its hood up and over his eyes to block out the gilded sunlight. His armor was much better now than the kit he had started with; he had won the <> in a gambling contest with a reckless player. It was a simple breastplate, but it didn't cover the joints in his shoulders, which allowed him to move his arms freely. The half-plate also came with a single, over-sized pauldron that adorned Kane's left shoulder, lending a bit more defense to his kit. Next time, I'll have to get armor that comes with bracers and greaves...

*edited for continuity

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miaki stood close beside Kane and Haine. When it was decided that Kane and Miaki would take on the floor boss on the second floor, they parted ways and Miaki met up with Haine. When she heard that the two boys were planning to take on the boss, she grew a little concerned for their safety and wanted to participate. And so here they were, on top of a hill looking down into the valley where the oversized Ox was located.

Miaki had his <> held in both his hands and stabbed into the earth. For this fight he wore a large brown trench coat and a <> underneath that. His strawberry blonde hair flowed in the wind and his sunglasses reflected off the sun's rays. "Between the three of us this boss will be a snap!" He looked over at Haine. "Thanks again for joining us Haine."

(OOC: As soon as everyone does an intro post we can start the boss fight.)

"No problem Miaki! Lets bring this baka down!" Haine nodded excitedly as she looked at both of them. She had ran just a tad late but she was still there soon! Yue had been somewhere else waiting for her owner as Haine instructed. Haine didn't want to put her familiar in risk, since she had such a low HP level. And it would be more than enough, Miaki, and Kane's HP combined with hers would be a HUGE amount. They would beat this boss down for sure! She was pumped up and ready to go!

OOC: Okay guys, here's how we're gonna fight the bull:

Dellis, the GM sent me an updated battle system for fighting bosses. I'm posting it here for reference:

Here it is.

"Okay, to put it simply, this is how combat works.

1) You describe what is the action you're trying to do in your first post.

That can be everything, using an item, dodging, or attacking, in theory, but strictly rule-wise speaking, the only rules which have been established by GMs are the ones to attack.

Until that changes combat is actually a series of posts, in which you attack, then the enemy attacks, then you attack, and so on. The description is there just for roleplay purposes.

At the end of this first post, in which you describe your action, DO NOT yet write if the attack's been succesful or not. Do not describe the enemy getting hurt either, or things like that. Just write "OOC ------ Will edit after Dice Roll".

2) Once you've done that, post another post, with just the words "Die Roll".

3)Now, look at the battle die roll of this second post. If it's 1-5, you've missed. If it's 6-8, you've hit, and you deduce 1 HP from the enemy's life. If it's 9-10, it's a critical. You deduct 2 HP from the enemy's total HP.

4) Now, go back to your first post, and edit it, describing if you've hit the enemy, where, and things like that.

5) Deduct the damage from the enemy's health.

That's all about how you attack monsters.

Now I'm gonna explain you how monsters attack you.

Field monsters actually hit you when you want, like normal. They do not roll dice, you decide if they've hit you or not, and how much damage you've suffered.

Boss monsters, instead, use dice rolls. They have to do posts, in which their attacks are described, and then the dice roll post. They use the same rules as you, basically.

You can do the Boss posts yourself, or you can get a friend to RP the boss for you. The latter's more fun, but you have to find a friend who's willing to do that, of course.

Now, I'm gonna give you a link to an example - look at the last posts - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1163&start=20

Aaaand i'm gonna do overtimes and do an example here too. I'll keep descriptions simple, so it's easier to understand.

Post 1: Dellis looked at the cobold in the eyes, readying his shield. He had to charge him, attack was the best defense in this case. He raised the shield to chest level, aiming to bash the cobold in the face.

-------------------------------OOC: Will edit after dice roll

Dellis: 9/9 HP

Cobold: 3/3 HP

Post 2: Dice Roll

Now check the battle dice on Post 2. For the sake of the argument, let's assume it's 5. 5 is a miss, according to the template.

You go back to the first post, and edit it. Remove the words "OOC: Will edit after dice roll" and describe the results of your actions.

now post 1 looks like this:

Post 1: Dellis looked at the cobold in the eyes, readying his shield. He had to charge him, attack was the best defense in this case. He raised the shield to chest level, aiming to bash the cobold in the face. Unfortunately, he tripped, and didn't hit the cobold.

Dellis: 9/9 HP

Cobold: 3/3 HP

Now it's the cobold's turn to counterattack. If it is a field monster, you just decide he's hit you or not, and describe it in your next attack post, deducting the damage from your max HP.

Let's assume, for the sake of the argument, that the cobold's quite a badass boss. Since he's a boss, he has to attack using dice rolls. So, you do exactly like you did for yourself, beginning by posting a description of the cobold's attack.

Post 3: The cobold roared, and decided to take advantage of Dellis' error. He raised his spear, and aimed for Dellis' head.

----OOC will edit after dice roll

Dellis 9/9

Cobold 3/3

Post 4

Cobold Dice Roll

You then check the battle die's result in this post. Let's assume it's 10. Lucky cobold.

You go back and edit post 3, like this.

Post 3: The cobold roared, and decided to take advantage of Dellis' error. He raised his spear, and aimed for Dellis' head.

It was a direct hit. the spear almost tore a eye off Dellis, which screamed in fear.

Dellis 7/9

Cobold 3/3"

Now, since the <> isn't a floor boss, but is instead a field boss, do you guys want to still use the die system, or RP it out to where it just hits us when we want it to?

OOC: It'd be like this:

Kane watched the creature charging towards him, and decided to sidestep, then take a swing at it.

-------- OOC: Will edit.

Then, I'd make another post that just reads: Dice roll.

Then, I'd look at that post's die roll. If it's 1-5, it's a miss. 6-8, it's a hit that deducts 1 HP. If it's a 9-10, it's a crit, and does 2 HP worth of damage.

Let's say I rolled a 7:

I'd go back to my original post and edit it:

Kane watched the creature charging towards him, and decided to sidestep, then take a swing at it.

The swing connected, drawing a thin, glowing red line on the beast's side.

Then it'd be your turn, then Miaki's, and so on. One of us would play the bull.

Kane looked at his comrades, evaluating their strengths. Miaki seemed to favor a curved blade, and Haine... well, Kane didn't know quite what to make of her, but she had a look in her eye that said not to mess with her. "I think we're gonna be just fine guys."

He looked out across the field, and spotted the field boss. A massive bull-like creature, it had four horns, a huge nose ring, and gigantic muscles. It was twelve feet tall, and pretty darn long too. Kane unhooked his great-sword, letting it catch the light. It would be the first time he'd use it in battle.

"Alright guys, the field boss is all the way over there. I did a little bit of research on our opponent: It's got a wicked charge attack, building up speed, and then ramming opponents with its four horns. Now, here's the trick: I'll get its attention and draw its aggression. Haine, Miaki, you both look like you're more mobile fighters than I. When it's got its hooves full with me, go ahead and attack it from either flank. I'll attempt to stop its charge by hobbling it as it charges at me, then you two strike while the iron is hot. Sound like a plan?"

"Yup! That sounds just fine with me!" she nodded before searching all over the place for the boss. The bluenette was known as unpredictable.. nobody knew what she really was. She would do things that does not even seem like her.. and she is somewhat split in nature also. She tends to play around a lot.. but when she fights, she's very serious and wont really be playing anymore.

The floor boss, <>, was roaming the field, no immediate threat to players but intimidating none the least. Miaki pulled his blade from the earth and twirled it around his body very quickly. After twirling in a rhythmic manner for a few seconds he brought his blade to rest on his right shoulder. "Kane playing interference while Haine and myself deal damage? Sounds like a plan." He held out his blade towards the field beneath them. "Let's do this!!"

Kane nodded. It looks like they were all on the same page. Throwing back his hood, he raised his immense blade and pointed it at the target. "Let's go carve us some roast beef!" It might not have been the most inspiring war cry of all time, but it worked.

Charging forward, Kane's mind was racing as his heavy boots carried him closer and closer to the target. This was the first really above-average foe that he had faced, and while he was certain that he'd do fine, it was still enough to set his heart racing. Coming up on the Bull, he decided to try and take the beast by surprise with a first strike. Holding his blade point forward, Kane charged up his <> Sword Skill.

(Die Result: 5 << +1 for equipped weapon >> = 6)

The large blade shone with a glowing blue light, and with immense speed Kane shot forward, lunging with the blade as the Skill made his movements faster than humanly possible.

SNICKT!

If the sword had been regular length, the bull would have turned in time to avoid it. But as it stands, the flared last third of the blade scored a shallow mark along his side. The skill didn't hit hard enough to chain into a combo, but the bull was sufficiently caught off guard long enough for Kane to assume defensive stance behind his blade, the width of which lent him an extra layer of protection from the bull's four horns.

Kane: 15/15 HP

Bull: 14/15 HP

--------------------------------------------

<>

The Bullbous Bow snorted, and stamped its hooves. Spotting the player that had been arrogant enough to sneak attack it, the field boss attempted to dash beside him, turning to slash at him with its horns.

(Die Result: 10-1 = 9) Critical Hit.

The gouging horn tore a long, deep line across Kane's unprotected arm, causing him to yell in anger and drop the point of his sword. Well, this is getting of to a fine start... He thought, re-raising the point of his blade. Hopefully Miaki and Haine would take advantage of the bull's distraction and strike while he had his back turned.

Haine narrowed her eyes as she stared at the boss closely and attempted to slash it from behind violently. She had hoped this hit would go through...

Die Result: 2 (Miss)

"Crap!" she cursed when the monster had pushed her back slightly and her attack was foiled. She ran back a little and waited for Miaki to strike.

(She would miss.. but you control the boar... I'm lost again, never been in a boss fight before)