[F01-PP] First Step Forward -- <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

Ren scratched her head as she approached the haggard alchemist.

<<Zackariah>>

"Can't believe it's taken me so long just to do this," she sighed, prompting the NPC for more information. "Here goes nothing..." Tutorial quests were always the easiest, but here, she had hesitated from starting on them for quite some time. Ren waved over and called out to the old man, "Hey, you need some help over there?"

"Help enough," Zackariah chuckled, waving around a flask in his hand. Ren watched, mesmerized by the bright green liquid in the glass. "And some experience for you, brave traveller!"

He turned around, examining his workshop. "Let's see... I'll need some materials to replace the potion that's to be made... Why don't you head out and fetch me five Tier 1 Materials?"

A grey box unfurled itself, and Ren poked at the circle at the bottom of the box. Clean UI, she mused. Always so clean. Zackariah beamed at her as the box closed in on itself. "Brilliant, your help will definitely be appreciated."

"If you say so."

Ren took a moment to reflect on the quest information as Zackariah returned to his work. 0/5, which meant the materials she had received as part of starting out wouldn't be sufficient; she'd need to retrieve them as quest items. But...

She glanced around, perplexed. Where should she begin her search?

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 1 | HP: 20 | EN: 2
DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 | ACC: - | EVA: -
SP: 5 | Col: 2,500

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 1/5
  2. - - -

[Equipment]

• [T1E0] Standard-Issue Greatsword
  • [T1E2] Standard-Issue Heavy Armor
    -- [ Mitigation I | + 9 MIT ]
    -- [ Thorns I | Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (9 per slot * Tier) unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks. ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
Edited by NIGHT
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yukiro wandered about the town. It looked different at night, in a good way. He actually preferred the aesthetics of this place when it got dark. The streetlamps cast just enough light to see by. But he wasn't simply out to enjoy a stroll. He was a man on a mission. 
Specifically, he was hungry, and didn't know of any NPC owned restaurants that stayed open this late. Sighing, he wandered down the street. 
I wonder if that cafe on the main road is open. 
As Yukiro wandered towards the main road he saw an odd player examining the area around a bench. She was clearly looking for something.
He'd never been a particularly outgoing person. But, as usual, a certain memory compelled him to go to her aid. 
Dinner would have to wait. 

"Excuse me, do you need help finding something?" he asked as he approached her. He knelt down beside her and briefly examined the ground.

It's got to be around here somewhere, right?

Ren shuffled around the streets of the town, uncertain. When she was out collecting recyclables in real life, they'd be scattered around the town. The extrapolation was a long stretch, but surely, her game senses were telling her, surely the first quest wouldn't send her straight right out of town.

She stopped by a bench, encircling it carefully. Wooden, metal, no boxes underneath, no litter around the floor. Was she not looking hard enough?! She squatted, squinting carefully at the floor... not noticing the stranger approaching her.

"Excuse me, do you need help finding something?"

"Um," Ren started, absentmindedly spilling her concerns. "Yeah, do you see any... Tier 1 Materials around here? I keep thinking they're around town --" Ren paused, rising from her squat. "-- but I haven't seen anything so far..."

Looking over to the voice, she noticed a man with a mess of brown hair, kneeling carefully. <<Yukiro>>, huh? Ren would appreciate the help, but hoped she wasn't bothering him too much.

Wait, was her scouting around out of place?

... No, can't be...

Ruffling her hair, she let a fruitless thought slip to her new companion, "The materials can't be out in the wild, could they?

Edited by NIGHT

"Yeah, do you see any Tier 1 Materials around here?"
Yukiro looked up at the now standing girl. 
<<NIGHT>>
Huh. Seemed oddly appropriate. Wait, she was looking for... what?
"The materials can't be out in the wild, could they?"
Yukiro didn't say anything for a while. What should someone say in this situation? He just stared at her with a concerned look on his face. Finally, realizing he was staring, he looked down and composed himself. 
"You mean you want materials?" he started as he stood up, "You won't find any form of materials here. You'll need to go out into the fields, though I can't say I recommend doing so now. Wolves prowl the plains at night." he stated simply. He looked her up and down, examining her gear, posture, and attitude. "You're... doing the first lesson, aren't you?"
Yukiro gave a soft sigh of pity. "... Do you need some help?" he offered. He wasn't sure what he was getting into, but he couldn't just leave her be.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"You won't find any form of materials here."

Eh? Really..?

"You'll need to go out into the fields, though I can't say I recommend doing so now. Wolves prowl the plains at night."

Ren let out a hopeless whine, hiding her vision from Yukiro. Looks like she was wrong after all...

"I was really hoping otherwise..." she droned softly. "They usually send adventurers around town to courier packages, don't they...?"

Maybe this game was just different...

"You're... doing the first lesson, aren't you?" As Yukiro sighed, Ren's skin bristled even more with embarrassment. She found herself nodding gently, still obscuring her vision. "... Do you need some help?"

"... At this point, I guess I do..."

Ren shifted around, rubbing her cheeks a little to recompose herself. It'd be best if they started out with a good first impression. Turning back to face Yukiro, she extended a hand to him. "I hope you don't mind that I'll be in your care then," she offered, with a wry smile. "I'm --"

-- wait wait wait this was a game --

"-- Night!" Ren grimaced, hoping she didn't come off as an oddball. "It's nice to meet you."

Edited by NIGHT

"... At this point I guess I do..."
Yukiro could relate to Night. He had struggled to even find the quest, let alone figure out how to complete it. At least she hadn't just run out into the field at this hour. Being eaten by wolves wasn't supposed to be a pleasant way to go out. 
I suppose it's a good thing I stopped by.
She started to shift about, rubbing her cheeks. What was she doing..? Was this how she composed herself? It was a little childish...
Curses. Now he felt an even greater need to help. 
Night smiled, "I hope that you don't mind that I'm in your care then. I'm--" she cut her self off abruptly before continuing, "--Night! It's nice to meet you," she introduced herself with a slight grimace. 
Ah, she almost used her real name, didn't she? I do that too...
"Yukiro. It's my pleasure," he greeted Night, nodding slightly, "I'll try to help show you the ropes." Yukiro offered, glancing at the sky. "I don't recommend that we go out of town tonight. Wolves aren't the most difficult opponents, but they may be a little much for you thus far. Do you have anywhere to stay the night?" he asked. 
It was after asking this that Yukiro realized that this, in fact, came across as creepy. It was generally not social conduct to ask someone you just met late at night where they live. 

"Of course, if you'd rather head out now, I can protect you with all that I have."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Wolves, huh..." Ren paused to imagine the difficulty of encountering them. It's two against what may be three or four, but she wasn't entirely comfortable with combat... at all. Perhaps she should wait out the night.

"Do you have anywhere to stay the night?"

Um...

Ren scratched her cheek, thinking. She'd been staying at local inns, dark and musty and worn from all the use from refugees these past few months. One might think she'd gotten used to them after boarding in them for so long, but her skin still crawled as she thought about using their rooms again. She'd even left so late just so she wouldn't get to experience the cramped spaces again. So crowded, so weathered...

No. Nope. No thank you.

As she balanced the two threats in her mind, she concluded with a firm grip around her greatsword's handle, bound to her at her back. "If you're sure you don't mind," she hesitated, before grimacing, stifling excitement from a sudden realization -- she hadn't tried out combat before, but if it came down to it, she'd be able to learn how to do so now. How would it feel? She couldn't wait to give it a try.

"Yeah... I think I'd like to try heading out at night! Thank you for your help in advance!" Ren bowed, deep with gratitude.

Edited by NIGHT

"Yeah... I think I'd like t try heading out at night!" Night resolved. "Thank you for your help in advance!" she added with a polite bow. Yukiro scratched the side of his head. It would be a bit of a pain to do this quest at night, but he supposed there was no real harm in it. Just so long as Night was kept safe everything would work out. He hoped. 
"You've got guts, I guess," he offered, "Follow me, I'll lead you to the fields."
Without waiting for much of a response Yukiro turned and started walking down the wide street. As he passed by the cafe he'd been aiming to visit he happily noted that it was open at night. He quickly turned his head away from the tantalizing aroma of food. He didn't want to give away that he hadn't eaten. Showing weakness was unacceptable. 
"Alright, some things you should know," Yukiro started, hoping to distract himself from his hunger, "Wolves are a bit tougher than your average boar. For that reason I'll lend you some equipment, if you don't mind. Just some simple armor to help you not perish on your first day-- er, night questing. Of course, if you don't mind my doing so," he began. Then he realized, they hadn't made a party. Whoops.
Yukiro came to a stop and cleared his throat. "A-also, when you work with another player, it's common practice to make a party." That said, he still didn't know how to actually form a party. 

So he just quietly waited for her to do so instead.

As wordlessly as Yukiro turned to trek towards the outskirts of town, so did Ren follow suit. The city was lit up well by the street lamps and midnight stores, which Ren did recall window-shopping at the latter. While she watched the storefronts go by as she moved past them, her companion began.

"Alright, some things you should know." Ren found herself stiffening, almost responding as though she were part of a drill.

"Wolves are tougher than your average boar." She'd try and remember that.

"For that reason, I'll lend you some equipment, if you don't mind." Eh? That was nice of them! She found herself smiling bright, surprised from the news.

"Just some simple armor to help you not perish on your first day-- er-"

Night?

"--night questing. Of course, if you don't mind my doing so..."

"No, it's no problem at all! Really," she beamed, running over her equipment stats in her mind. They weren't excellent, but as far as beginner equipment went, they were the most helpful pieces of clothing she'd ever encountered by her memory. To see how far the limits of the equipment could go in this game would be helpful for her to gauge her own potential. "Thank you very much!"

As she bowed her head, gentler this time, she raised it to see Yukiro halted, clearing his throat. "A-also, when you work with another player, it's common practice to make a party." Parties, she remembers those. "Got it!"

Gesturing with her ring finger, she pulled open a menu in front of Yukiro. It was almost like an old hat; she remembered constantly checking other players' profiles in an attempt to collect information about her surroundings. Through a rapid but intricate number of swipes, a gray box finally flashed in front of him, with the iconic accept and decline prompt.

Leaning over the side of her menus, Ren peered over to check in on her companion. "I hope that's the right option. Oh, before I forget--"

A few more swipes later and another box popped up behind the first. "--I'll add you to my buddy list too! Assuming that's alright with you," she paused, uncertain but content. "You've been so nice to me on our first meeting, I'd like to repay the favor some day."

Edited by NIGHT

"Got it!" Night said as she flicked open her menu. She made a couple of swipes, tapped a few buttons and icons. Within moments a small window appeared in front of Yukiro, inviting him to a party with Night.
She clearly knew games better than he did. She peeked over at the prompt in from of Yukiro. "I hope that's the right option. Oh, before I forget..." 
Night scrolled a little bit and tapped another button. A second box materialized behind the party invitation. Yukiro couldn't quite make it out behind the first box. Not that he needed to.
"...I'll add you to my buddy list too! Assuming that's alright with you," Night offered, "You've been so nice to me on our first meeting, I'd like to repay the favor some day."
Now this was a dilemma. He was certainly flattered, but he was still hesitant to make their connection any deeper than needs be. Yukiro tapped the accept icon on the party invite and watched a small health bar materialize in his vision. 
Friends... huh... I can't decline, but...
Yukiro tapped the accept icon on the friends offer. There was no real reason he had to deny the offer, but accepting a friend request didn't mean they would get close. Right?
It was a moment before Yukiro spoke again. "Now... here, take this. I'll be needing it back once we finish here, but use them while you can." Making a few swipes and taps of his own Yukiro send his Leggings of Shattered Torment to Night as a gift. 

As Ren retracted the open menus, Yukiro's health bar dropped down from under her's. His open profile window closed just in time for Ren to catch the friend request closing on Yukiro's side. With a thumb and ring finger expanding, she discreetly opened up another menu, selecting to preview her friend's list. Seeing her party member's information on it, Ren sighed, relieved, and a small smile crept on her face as her decision to repay the favor solidified. I'll do my best.

"Now... here." A quick swipe closed the window she had open as her attention returned to her team mate. "I'll be needing it back once we finish here, but use them while you can."

"Got it."

[Receiving Leggings of Shattered Torment from Yukiro]

Ren accepted it, quickly going through her menus again to don the armor. Blue light washed over the bottom of her armor, and dispersed just as quickly, updating their visuals to match the new equipment. After giving her new pants a quick lookover, she motioned excitedly, pumping her fist down. "Thank you very much! I think I'm ready to get going now."

@Yukiro # good morning!

Yukiro turned away after sending her the armor. He figured it probably wasn't polite to watch while she changed equipment, regardless of the reason. He waited until he heard the soft sound of the armor being equipped before turning back around. The armor had changed in appearance a bit. Probably just does that between genders, he supposed. No matter.
Night excitedly pumped her fist. "Thank you very much! I think I'm ready to get going now," she said. 
Let's get this done. I haven't eaten yet.
"Alright. This way," Yukiro commanded. He knew he was being a little rude by being so pushy, but to his credit, it was getting late and he hadn't eaten. 
Besides, all he had to do here was guide her to the right place, act out his worst nightmare (gathering) and keep her from dying. Easy. 
Yukiro walked at a brisk pace down the road, forgetting that his charge was about more than a foot shorter than him. As he walked he flicked open his menu and equipped his armor, the Nightmare Overcoat and Ravenfeather Treads. His sword was already equipped; he never unequipped it.

"Alright," Ren followed suit, attempting to keep up the pace. By the time they'd reached the outskirts of town, the girl had felt that she'd gotten a nice work out in her day, stretching her arms over her head. As her boots hit the dirt, she began wandering out onto the plains, scouting the area for any signs of danger. It'd probably be best to take enemies out now while I'm was still alert.

A few meters away, she spotted her hunt.

<<Wolf>>

"Hai!" Hailing her companion over, she drew her great sword. The sound of her call must've drawn the wolves' attention to her, as they turned to face her, ears batting. She counted them; one, two -- wait, three? A darker figure approached from the distance, curious to the source of the noise. Uh, whoops. Hope this doesn't go badly...

Ren shifted the handle in her hands uncomfortably, unused to its weight and grip. Holding this sword's outright like this... It's harder than it looked... With a blundering charge, she took a swing at the nearest wolf she saw, missing her mark entirely.

ID: 126740 | BD: 2 (Miss)

Wolf #1: 15/15HP | 5DMG
Wolf #2: 15/15HP | 5DMG
Wolf #3: 15/15HP | 5DMG

NIGHT: HP: 20 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 (+18) | ACC: - | EVA: - | EN: 2 (-1, +1)

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

Turn order:
1st, NIGHT > 2nd, Yukiro > 3rd, Wolf 1 > 4th, Wolf 2 > 5th, Wolf 3

ID# 126742 | BD: 8 (7+1) MD: 3 (6-3)
ID# 126743 | BD: 10 (9+1) MD: 3 (6-3)
ID# 126744 | BD: 9 (8+1) MD: 4 (7-3)
Yukiro: HP 120/120 | 6/12 EN (-6)
Wolf 1: 5/15 HP (-10) (1 hate again Yukiro)
Wolf 2: 4/15 HP (-11) (2 hate against Yukiro)
Wolf 3: 5/15 HP (-10)  (1 hate against Yukiro)
All wolves attack Yukiro. All wolves miss.

Yukiro took a deep breath as he entered the expansive fields. It looked so different out here at night, but the air was still refreshingly familiar. 
He watched Night wander out into the plains a little ways. He was planning to avoid combat entirely, if possible, and finish the gathering as quickly as possible.
Naturally, that was exactly what didn't happen.
"Hai!" Yukiro heard Night cry out. He didn't have to look to see what was going on. He heard the sound of her sword being drawn followed by the sound of Night's boots dashing away from him. These sounds were followed by the sound of wolves barking and growling. 
Wonderful. 

Yukiro drew his own sword and jogged down to where Night had run off to. He got close just in time to see her sword move swiftly across the path of the wolves, failing to strike anything. A part of him wanted to start instructing her on how to use her chosen blade. 
Not the time.
Yukiro raised his sword and waited for it to start glowing. Once he heard the ping! that signaled the activated sword art he stepped in front to Night and swept his blade down, striking all three of the wolves. Their HP bars all reduced past the halfway point.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

Ah? What just happened? One moment ago their enemies health was at full, the next they were halved. And that dazzling streak of light --

Ren turned to look at Yukiro, holding a combat stance. "Eh? Magic?" She blurted, but then recalled something. Dexterous finger work easily pulled open a menu for her to reference in the heat of battle. She'd heard of them, but their execution was far too abstract for her to make use of them before. But now...

"[Sword Arts]... Right, you were using [Sword Arts], weren't you?"

Then, the quickest one to activate would be...

Oh, how convenient. It'd close the gap, too. Then, I hope this works...

As one of the wolves started to recover from its pushback, Ren took an abled stance -- raising her sword by her belly and leaning back, one foot in front of the other. That's how you do it, right? So, when will I know--

Ping!

A flash of blinding light and a twitch of her sword was enough to send Ren flying through the grass, grazing her opponent. She felt her blade hit her opponent, almost as though cutting through butter, leaving a bright red scar with a grid overlay on the wolf. As it stumbled and yelped, it took Ren a quick moment to recover from her rush trick and surprise.

Looking back up, the wolf she was targeting had scattered into crystal ash.

<<Straight>> on Wolf #1.
ID: 126747 | BD: 9 (Crit)

Wolf #1: -4/15HP | 5DMG (-9)
Wolf #2: 4/15HP | 5DMG
Wolf #3: 5/15HP | 5DMG

NIGHT: HP: 20 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 (+18) | ACC: - | EVA: - | EN: 0 (-2)

ID: 126755 | Wolf #1: LD: 3 | CD: 12
Loot: 45col, Tier 1 Materials (2)

Edited by NIGHT
# loot!!!!!
Spoiler

Turn order:
1st, NIGHT > 2nd, Yukiro > 3rd, Wolf 2 > 4th, Wolf 3

ID# 126748 | BD: 4 (3+1) MD: 1 (3-3)
ID# 126749 | BD: 4 (3+1) MD: 1 (4-3)
Yukiro: HP 120/120 | 2/12 EN (-4)
Wolf 2: 4/15 HP (-11) (2 hate against Yukiro)
Wolf 3: 5/15 HP (-10)  (1 hate against Yukiro)
Both wolves attack Yukiro. Both miss.

Yukiro was slightly disappointed with the wolves. They were weaker than he'd expected. But it was his fault for not keeping track of his level. 
Oh well.
Yukiro readied a second sword skill. He was just going to try and end them all with one more swing. That would be pretty cool. His sword began to glow and--
There was a second ping! behind him. He whipped his head around to see Night had triggered a sword art. 
Hey, that one's the lunging one. Wait, she's behind me!
Yukiro had almost no time to dodge, only barely twisting away and leaning back as Night came hurtling past him. Her sword whipped down, cutting into one of the wolves. The wolf's HP dropped to zero and it shattered.
The reality that, had he reacted a moment later, he would have been the one that'd been slashed hit him like a slap in the face.
"O-Oi, um," he started shakily, "Careful where you swing that thing. It's... sharp."
As he spoke the wolves that had not been cleaved in two jumped at him. Yukiro shifted into a crouch and hopped towards Night, allowing the wolves to harmlessly pass by him.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"O-Oi! Um," Ren turned to look, still stunned from her previous Sword Art. "Careful where you swing that thing. It's... sharp."

... Oh! Right! In the moment, she'd forgotten to watch out for her team mate. Ren sheepishly ruffled her hair, responding with a "S-sorry!" before checking for her surroundings. Two left.

As Yukiro started to approach her, she stepped to the side, hoping to direct her movement away from her companion. With a large circling arc, she swung her sword, hitting the tail end of one of the wolves by luck, leaving a gash by its hind legs. The creature leaped aside at the attack, yipping in pain, before shattering into bits.

"One more!" Ren tracked, ready to close the gap between her and their remaining opponent.

Basic Attack on Wolf #2.
ID: 126752 | BD: 10 (Crit)

Wolf #2: -2/15HP | 5DMG (-6)
Wolf #3: 5/15HP | 5DMG

NIGHTHP: 20 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 (+18) | ACC: - | EVA: - | EN: 0 (-1, +1)

ID: 126756 | Wolf #2: LD: 7 | CD: 5
Loot: 60col, Tier 1 Materials (2), Rare Trinket (1)

Edited by NIGHT
# loot!!!!!
Spoiler

ID# 126753 | BD: 10 (10+1) MD: 3 (6-3)
Yukiro: HP 120/120 | 2/12 EN (+1-1) 
Wolf 3: 0/15 HP (-7)

"S-sorry!" Night apologized.
Yukiro couldn't really get mad at her. He'd been absolutely horrible at using sword arts at first too. Ah, who was he kidding. He was still only a novice when it came to the system-operated techniques. He was far better at actually using the sword in his own techniques anyway. 
Night stepped away from Yukiro and whirled her sword around, slicing the rear of a second wolf. The wolf shattered into hundreds of tiny polygons which faded from existence. "One more!" Night exclaimed. 
"No," Yukiro proclaimed quietly. Taking a step forward, Yukiro gripped his greatsword in one hand and made a quick, simple horizontal slice across the final wolf's flank. The wolf yowled as it keeled over, glowing then shattering.
A small window popped up for Night, displaying her earnings. Yukiro glanced at her before deciding that he should look around. It was only a moment before his eyes fell upon a large shadow approaching the pair from just outside his range of vision. 

Better try to avoid confronting it. I'll lead her to the flower fields are and try to get rid of this thing...

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

ID: 126757 | Wolf #3: LD: 7 | CD: 5
Loot: 60col, Tier 1 Materials (2), Rare Trinket (1)

A swing of his sword, and Yukiro took out the last wolf. "Nice one!" Ren huffed, taking in the reassurance that the fight was over. A window quickly expanded in front of her, totaling her new possessions. A handful of col -- a nice bit of security -- some materials and two rare trinkets.

"Oh? Rare items..."

She pulled open her inventory to examine them. Interesting... Ren knew that adventuring players had to bring some kind of equipment to a shop to get them appraised, but it felt... different, seeing them in her register first-hand. A smile came to her face as a wave of excitement washed over her. Hope these turn out to be useful.

-- The quest!

Ren hated to admit it, but she had entirely forgotten the reason they came out here to begin with. Scatterbrained, she closed her menus and squatted, petting and rifling through the grass with abandon. She wasn't certain what exactly she was looking for, but she'd be damned if she wasn't able to tell when she found it.

Scavenging:
ID: 126759 | LD: 8 (Fail)

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 126813 | LD: 15
1/5 T1 materials gained

Yukiro decided they should get moving as quickly as they could, hoping to avoid a confrontation with the mystery creature sneaking up on them.
Glancing at Night, who had dropped to the ground and was rifling through the grasses, he figured the best plan would be to move along the wall so they wouldn't lose their way in the dark. 
Wait, was she looking for the quest items? 
I suppose she doesn't know any better.
"What you need won't be here. You'll need to search for a certain kind of flower amongst the scattered flowerbeds. Come, there's one over this way," he said. He moved closer to the wall to put some distance between them and the unknown entity and walked a short distance to one of the flowerbeds he recalled. 
Kneeling down and riling through the various plants Yukiro picked a small budding yellow flower. 
"Look for something like this," he instructed her as he glanced around for their pursuing assailant. 
It wasn't in sight.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro