[F01-PP] First Step Forward -- <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

"Yumi..?" Ren mumbled, eyes focused on Yukiro. It wasn't like him, to her knowledge, but it's not like she really knew him too personally; this had been their first meeting, after all.

She balled a fist up, worried, but putting the pieces together. So the person he lost must've been Yumi, she figured. If their names started with the same suffix, they could've been really close. I really hope he's doing okay over there...

Paused in thought, she snapped back to reality as he called back to her, "Come on, we still have some flowers to pick!"

Oh right, my quest.

"Ah, wait up!" Ren followed behind him, making sure he stayed steady. At the very least, if Yukiro had defended her from the creatures of the dark lurking around, she could very well offer him some emotional support. He looked like he really needed it.

And a nagging feeling in her stomach told her there were many more like him in the cruel world they were trapped in.

At some point, she'd stopped, spying a flower patch she could gather in. Squatting, she started sifting through them, checking if she could spot anything shiny. She did, and picked it up with a grin, holding it up to Yukiro. "Does this make you feel better?"

ID: 126960 | Material Search | LD: 15

2/5 Materials retrieved.

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT
# anyone: have you read the rules | me: yes | also me, 1 minute later: they have been forgotten
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

ID# 127115 | LD: 13
4/5 T1 materials found

Yukiro felt like his center had been torn out. His hollow soul had no bearing on reality anymore. He was just wandering, guiding Night... Where was he going? 
Focus, you cannot afford to show weakness. Don't disgrace yourself any further. 
Night's footsteps stoped. Yukiro spun around, the fear of the worst piercing his mind. 
Night had stopped by a bed of flowers. Yukiro carefully went to her side. After a moment, Night held up a small blue flower, a big grin on her face.
"Does this make you feel better?"
Yukiro was at a loss for words. Was she trying to comfort him? 
"I... Yes. It does. Thank you, Night."
Yukiro crouched down next to Night. He passed his hand through the colorful flowerbed until he saw a small, budding yellow flower. 
"Just one more."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

That's a relief, he seems to be feeling better. Ren smiled gently, hoping it would stave away his troubles.

As much as it would please her for quest systems to work similar to other games, her task nagged at her incompletion, much to her chagrin. She bit her tongue as she continued sorting through the flora, picking up another blue flower from the masses.

"Maybe it was scaring them away," she mumbled, surprised at her turn of luck. Ren turned to face Yukiro, tilting her head. "Yukiro," she began, appearing rather solemn, "If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know, okay?"

"I can't claim to know what you've been through," she continued, twirling the flower in between her fingers. "But whatever it must be, I can guess that it was difficult. You're strong to have lived with it," Ren finished, holding up the picked flower. "Just like this guy from all the others."

Stashing it, she concluded, "If you need someone to talk to, or bend a listening ear, I've got your back." Almost as if on cue, Ren gave her friend a thumbs up, clashing with her straight expression, intended to break the tension in the air.

ID: 127131 | Material Search | LD: 16

3/5 Materials retrieved.

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 127197 | LD: 3

Yukiro watched Night pick another flower. Yukiro picked one almost at the same time. But this time it was Yukiro's find that shattered.
"Oi. Give me back my luck." he joked.
Night turned to face Yukiro, her head tilted slightly. "Yukiro," she began solemnly, "If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know, okay?"
Yukiro stopped what he was doing and listened, keeping his eyes glued to the flowers in front of him.
"I can't claim to know what you've been through," she said gently, "But whatever it must be, I can guess that it was difficult. You're strong to have lived with it," she said, holding up the blue flower. "Just like this guy from all the others."

Yukiro gave a slight nod. He disagreed. It wasn't strength that let him live. It was weakness. He'd lived in fear of letting others in. He was too afraid to sacrifice himself to save another.
"If you need someone to talk to, or bend a listening ear, I've got your back." Night said, giving Yukiro a thumbs up that clashed with her straight expression.
Yukiro smiled and looked up. 
"Night. I... Yes. I'll take you up on that offer someday. But for right now," 
he said, quickly grabbing a fistful of flowers, "Just keep being my friend."
He playfully threw the flowers at Night, releasing them just as they shattered. Small lights floated around and in front of her face. 

Edited by Yukiro

"I'll take you up on that offer someday," Yukiro confided, his hands continuing to grab at the foliage around him. "But for right now, just keep being my friend."

"Mm," Ren smiled, in the comfort of friendship. "That I can do."

That was also the most she could say, before being dazzled by shards of light from the destroyed flowers collect. "Hey!" The sudden pelt stunned her, and Ren felt herself fall back gently on the flower patch, sitting upright. She couldn't help but laugh for a moment.

"Actually, I wonder if it's possible to do that then." Grabbing a fistful of flowers in return, she had them open on her palm, blowing at the petals towards Yukiro. As they twitched, they broke their form, dissipating into crystal ash. The particles scattered around the air, massing about Yukiro's vision.

Ren grinned, proud of her handiwork. She still felt something heavy resting on her palm. It appeared to be a lone blue flower. She smirked, holding in another laughter and stashing it in her inventory. "I'm only borrowing your luck for a bit. I'll return it, I promise!"

ID# 127227 | LD: 20
4/5 Materials retrieved.

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

ID# 127274 | LD: 13
5/5 T1 Materials found

"Actually, I wonder if it's possible to do that then," Night said as she grabbed a fistful of flowers and held them open on her palm. She blew at the flower's petals at Yukiro. Yukiro had to fight the urge to bat at them as they flew towards him. The flowers glowed and shattered as they scattered into the air around Yukiro. Night grinned at him and showed off a lone blue flower. She held it up and laughed.
"I'm only borrowing your luck for a bit. I'll return it, I promise!" 

Yukiro turned back to the flowers and scanned them briefly. Luckily, his eyes found what they were looking for.
"About that," he said, sticking his tongue out a bit, "I might have already taken it back."
He put the item in his inventory and leaned back on his palms. "Looks like we'll be ready to head back pretty soon. Are you feeling up to some crafting?"
Yukiro's hand slipped. 
He fell backward with a slight yelp, crashing into the ground.

Edited by Yukiro

"Eh? You have?" Ren turned around to look in alarm, rifling through the foliage again, only to turn up nothing as Yukiro put the final flower collected in his inventory. She pouted for a quick moment.

"Looks like we'll be ready to head back pretty soon," her companion commented, leaning back. "Are you feeling up to some crafting?"

"Crafting, huh? I've only heard stories myself, I hadn't even considered-"

CRASH

"Eh? ...Yukiro, you alright there?" Ren stopped her search, turning to look over at him, sprawled out, fallen in the grass.

"Kffh-" Now she couldn't help but laugh. "W-what- what was that about? How'd you end up like that?"

Reaching out to him, she offered him a hand for support, still giggling. "I'd ask you to be more careful," she said, smirking, "but I think I have the habit of being clumsy myself as it is."

"As for the flowers... If you don't mind lending me that luck for a little more, I could get this quest done over quick," she added, wearing a goofy grin.

ID: 127356 | LD: 4

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT

"Eh? ...Yukiro, you alright there?" Night asked, turning to look at Yukiro. He  was laying sprawled out, in the grass with a surprised look on his face.
"... Yes."

"Kffh-" Night started to laugh at him, "W-what- what was that about? How'd you end up like that?"
Yukiro covered his face with his hand. "... I slipped."
Night offered him her hand for support, still giggling. "I'd ask you to be more careful," she said, with a smirk, "but I think I have the habit of being clumsy myself as it is."

Yukiro took her hand and sat up, looking down in embarrassment. "Th-thanks. Sorry," he added, a little red.
"As for the flowers... If you don't mind lending me that luck for a little more, I could get this quest done over quick," she added, a grin adorning her face.
Yukiro narrowed his eyes at her. "Hmmm... Maybe..." he said, pretending to ponder the subject. He looked up and away. "Maybe not. Who knows?" he said with a grin.

"Hmm, maybe..."

Ren beamed at him, watching him pace. "Thank you~"

"Maybe not. Who knows?"

"--Eh?! Rescinding it back now, that's mean!" Ren humoured, playfully. Her attention focused back onto the grass, searching with the highest of hopes (and, she believed, Yukiro's luck) for the last flower. Ah, she thought, focusing in on a sparkle, there it is.

Picking it up, she held it high for both of them to see. "I've retrieved it!" Ren announced, facing Yukiro with a wholehearted smile. "Thank you so much for your help!"

Ren stashed away the flower and rose from her position. "I'll just be returning your luck now," she mentioned, with a pat on Yukiro's shoulder. "Oh," she recalled, pulling open a trade window and depositing the Leggings of Shattered Torment into it. "Can't forget to give them back. Thanks for letting me loan it, too." A wry look slipped on her face all too easily. "If it weren't for them, I don't think I'd be in as fine condition as I am now."

ID: 127459 | LD: 17

5/5 Materials retrieved!

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT

"--Eh?! Rescinding it back now, that's mean!" Night teased Yukiro. She sifted through the flowers until she found what she was looking for and pulled it out of the ground. She held it high enough for both of them to see. "I've retrieved it!" she announced, facing Yukiro with a big smile. 
"Ah! Good job!"
"Thank you so much for your help!"
"Anytime. But it's not quite over yet," he warned her. They still had to actually make the potions.
Night stood up. "I'll just be returning your luck now," she said, tapping Yukiro's shoulder.
Yukiro smiled and stood up. "Well, I appreciate that."
"Oh." Night exclaimed as she sent Yukiro the Leggings of Shattered Torment. "Can't forget to give them back. Thanks for letting me loan it, too," she said with a wry look on her face, "If it weren't for them, I don't think I'd be in as fine condition as I am now."
 A somewhat more melancholic look crept onto Yukiro's face, but it disappeared fairly quickly. "It's nothing. Don't worry about it. Make sure you get better prepared for the wilds next time, okay?"

Not over yet? Ren's expression fell, worried. She had been so focused on the flowers, she wouldn't want to hit another road block so soon.

"I... I hope the rest of the quest would go okay," she mumbled, under her breath. "I mean, it... can't possibly be as difficult as finding a handful of flowers, could it?"

Catching a hint of distraught pass Yukiro's face, she assured him, resolute in her words."Got it. I'll do my best." Ren knew it might take time to gather the appropriate equipment, but she knew to be wary of potential dangers now. She'd seen them herself first-hand.

Having returned the leggings, she began strolling towards town, inviting Yukiro to follow along. The darkness of the fields faded away behind them, as the street lights welcomed the duo back to town. The light was a sight for sore eyes.

Ren began to head over to Zackariah's shop, eager to proceed to the next stage of their quest, but found herself eyeing the cafe they had passed by earlier. Pointing at it, she questioned her friend, "You ever get hungry after going out for adventures?"

@Yukiro

Once Night had finished gathering the materials she needed she stood up and began strolling towards town. Yukiro also got up and followed along. As they entered the town bright lights began to sweep away the darkness of the fields behind them. As much as he enjoyed Night's company, Yukiro was glad to finally be back in town.
Night was making her way directly to Zackariah's small brewery, as Yukiro had expected. As they walked, she suddenly pointed out the cafe he had been craving. 
"You ever get hungry after going out for adventures?"

Yukiro's mouth watered a bit. 
"Er, occasionally. I don't need it right now though, we can finish the quest."
His words felt like lead in his stomach as he stared at the cafe."
"Well... perhaps I am just a little hungry..." he commented. 
No! Wait! It would be rude to ask that we stop for a meal! 
"B-but we don't have to stop! Not if you don't want to!" He tried to make himself seem less hungry. 

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Well... perhaps I am just a little hungry... --B-but we don't have to stop! Not if you don't want to!" Ren chuckled, a hand to her mouth, watching Yukiro's active response. "It's alright, really! I didn't want to drag you away from any business you had after this," she replied, looking through the cafe's windows. "But if we're both hungry, it'd be cool if we sit down and eat, right?

"Best to keep ourselves satiated," Ren mused, thoughtfully, approaching the cafe's entrance. "Plus, we've earned it after the manticore fight, I think. That... was probably not an every day occurrence."

Ren waved over to a waiter, who appeared rather awake given the time of night. The two were ushered over to a picnic table outdoors, given menus in hand. Ren took a seat while looking over the handout, her attention pulled over to the attractive images on the brunch and dessert sections.

Handing back the menu, she ordered, "I'll have the souffle pancakes with a cup of coffee, please."

@Yukiro

"But if we're both hungry, it'd be cool if we sit down and eat, right?"
"Yeah... I suppose you're right."
"Best to keep ourselves satiated," Night mused as the pair approached the cafe's entrance. "Plus, we've earned it after the manticore fight, I think. That... was probably not an every day occurrence."
Yukiro nodded. "Yeah, I've never heard of such a thing. It's probably supposed to be guarding something... Maybe only accessible at night..." He trailed off as he thought. 
Night waved over a waiter. The pair was ushered over to a small table outside and given menus. Yukiro sat down, shaking off his internal focus. Glancing over the menu, he selected a food option.
Night h
anded back the menu before Yukiro. "I'll have the souffle pancakes with a cup of coffee, please."
"The omelet. Largest size, if I may."
The waited gave a slight bow, taking their menus and walking away. 

@NIGHT

"Guarding something, huh...? Out in the open fields like that?" Ren rested her chin on her palm, thinking. "It's definitely possible, probably unlikely..."

Watching the peaceful empty streets, Ren felt a little nostalgic for her time in the real world. Given, the architecture was nothing like the Town of Beginning's, but the lit up windows, street lamps and potted shrubbery in the middle of the night made her feel a little homesick for her life outside the game.

As her eyes trailed over to her friend, a thought occurred to her. "Hey, Yukiro," she started, "what do you think you'll do once you're out of the game?"

Realizing how sensitive the subject could be, she hastily added, "I-I mean, I don't know if you ever think about it, but that was what I was mulling over for the longest time when I was hesitating, wasting around the Town of Beginnings."

A clatter took her attention over to the waiter, who'd just placed down her cup of coffee. Thanking them, she brought it up to her mouth. "I-If you're uncomfortable about the topic, you're welcome to change it, really," she concluded, taking a sip of the fresh brew.

@Yukiro

Yukiro was thinking of what to say when Night asked an unexpected question.
"Hey, Yukiro," Night started, "what do you think you'll do once you're out of the game?"
"Huh?" Yukiro sounded in surprise. He wasn't a gamer, but he had figured that the topic of the real world was taboo.
"I-I mean, I don't know if you ever think about it, but that was what I was mulling over for the longest time when I was hesitating, wasting around the Town of Beginnings," she added hastily.
An awkward silence ensued. After a while the waiter brought Night's cup of coffee. "I-If you're uncomfortable about the topic, you're welcome to change it, really." 
Yukiro looked out at the street. Was this really something to be discussed..?
"I guess... I've never really thought about it. I'll have to finish school. Then find someway to make a living..." he said, avoiding eye contact. 
He glanced at Night's face, then away again.
"What about you? If I may ask."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"I mean, I have to finish school too," Ren replied, anxious. "It's just that... I'll probably have to restart what I've learned from scratch at this point. These things happen to be a taboo where I'm from..." She took another sip of her coffee, setting it down on a saucer when she was done. "It's... kind of demotivating, I suppose. On top of that, we also have to claw our way through survival in here, and probably when we get back. Not to mention the general disconnect from reality, especially if we start getting acclimated to the game itself after so long..."

Ren fidgeted with her hands, lost in the silence. Finally, she spoke, after being hesitant for a while. "Sorry, it's a really dark topic, I think..." It tended to be one of the only topics players safe in the Town of Beginnings often discussed at length; a discussion she wanted -- no, needed a new perspective on. "But if I could be a little selfish, is there anything that drives you to play this game?"

-- Like adventure, or exploration? The thrill of combat?

"-- I'd just... like to review notes, is all." Ren concluded, with finality, a forlorn look on her face, and fingers fidgeting the cup's handle for another sip of coffee.

@Yukiro

Night was fidgeting, sitting in utter silence. Yukiro watched his lap quite intently. He had no idea what to say to her. Partially because he had no clue how to talk to people, but also because he'd always been disconnected from reality. It was never something he'd bothered considering. 
"Sorry, it's a really dark topic, I think... But if I could be a little selfish, is there anything that drives you to play this game?"
Now there was something he could answer.
But once he actually started thinking about what to say... he felt a crushing weight on his shoulders.
"-- I'd just... like to review notes, is all." Night concluded with a forlorn look on her face and her fingers fidgeting at the cup's handle for another sip of coffee.
Yukiro considered the question for a while. If he was being honest, his motivation was really just one thing.
Sure, he loved the fight. He enjoyed the thrill of adventure. But what had really motivated him, what made him desire strength so badly... 
"I..." his voice cracked a bit, "... I had a friend... we got separated when everyone was summoned to the announcement. I..."
His voice got very small.
"Never saw her again..."
With that, he just looked at the ground in silence. 

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"-- Oh..."

After all that's been said, Ren figured the air would be heavy. "... I'm... really sorry to hear that..."

... What should I do in a situation like this... change the topic...?

A moment to think, and Ren was off speaking again. "Um..." she scratched her cheek, looking idly by at the empty streets. "I-It's okay if you don't want to talk about it, really... I-I know it's tough to think about it, and you've already been through a rough patch earlier. Not going to lie though; I... was kind of curious..."

Switching to rest her cheek on her hand, she continued. "But if you don't mind hearing me out, I'm... I've been trying to understand what took me so long to step out of the Town of Beginnings, really."

Ren took a sip of her coffee, which was almost half empty at this point. "I guess... that's my struggle... um... It's probably a fear of dying," she mused, staring at her cup, "Sure, but... it sort of has a tinge of guilt in there, for getting involved with the game directly."

She fumbled with the cup's handle again. "Sorry if I'm rambling," she added, attempting to give a wry smile. "We can drop it, really."

@Yukiro

Yukiro hung his head in silence.
"... I'm... really sorry to hear that..."
Taking a deep breath, Yukiro tried to shake off the melancholy. He would have plenty of time to be depressed later. "It... It's okay." he managed to get out.
"Um... I-It's okay if you don't want to talk about it, really... I-I know it's tough to think about it, and you've already been through a rough patch earlier. Not going to lie though; I... was kind of curious..."
"It's fine. I... you saw me... anyway, you deserve to know," he said. He was trying to put on a brave face, but he was really hurting inside.
Night began to rest her cheek on her hand. "But if you don't mind hearing me out, I'm... I've been trying to understand what took me so long to step out of the Town of Beginnings, really."
Yukiro nodded and looked up. It would be best if he could try to maintain eye contact with her. Night took a sip of her coffee. "I guess... that's my struggle... um... It's probably a fear of dying. Sure, but... it sort of has a tinge of guilt in there, for getting involved with the game directly."
Yukiro nodded sadly. She must be really upset at herself for starting to play.
"Sorry if I'm rambling. We can drop it, really," she said, attempting a smile. 
Yukiro stood up and picked up his chair, moving around the table to sit next to Night. 
"I'm sorry. You must be hurting. I'll listen, if you want me to."
Huh?
This was really out of character for him. Why was he getting so sentimental? 
Despite his confusion, his thoughts focused into a single desire.
Let me save you.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro