[F01-PP] First Step Forward -- <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

Eh? ...Is this out of character? Ren had a look of confusion and embarrassment as Yukiro came to sit next to her.

"I'm sorry. You must be hurting. I'll listen, if you want me to."

C-closer than I had expected... "Y-yeah... Thank you, I really appreciate it." Ren fidgeted a little with her hands, removing them from the cup she had relied on.

"Um... Okay, so... we know there's the dangers of fighting outside the Town," she began, glancing back at Yukiro every so often to make eye contact. "I think, easily, hands down, that's terrifying to look your own mortality in the face every day."

"But," she paused, gathering her thoughts, "I... I don't think it occurs that often? F-for me at least; um..."

"How should I put this -- adventuring... is exciting? M-maybe a little bit? And..." Ren held her breath, feeling brave. "I-- I feel like I shouldn't take it that way?"

--Shoot this sounds like such an awkward thing to say at this point--

"S-so, when I do, it's... difficult to handle, for me... I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same, but remembering how everyone has had their experience of losing someone in here... I..." She felt the need to look away for a quick moment, losing her confidence to say it to Yukiro directly. "I don't feel like I'm allowed to... enjoy it... so to say..."

@Yukiro

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Um... Okay, so... we know there's the dangers of fighting outside the Town. I think, easily, hands down, that's terrifying to look your own mortality in the face every day." She was glancing at Yukiro every so often. "But... I... I don't think it occurs that often? F-for me at least; um... How should I put this -- adventuring... is exciting? M-maybe a little bit? And..." she paused, "I-- I feel like I shouldn't take it that way?"
"...Why's that?"
"S-so, when I do, it's... difficult to handle, for me... I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same, but remembering how everyone has had their experience of losing someone in here... I..." she looked away for a moment, "I don't feel like I'm allowed to... enjoy it... so to say..."
Yukiro took a deep breath. Her words made him feel... irritated? 
"... Night..."
He raised his hand and lightly chopped Night on the head.
"People die in car crashes. Should they not enjoy driving?" he said, clearing his throat and try to look directly into her eyes, "If my friend dies, and I enjoy fighting, am I a bad person?"
He sighed, letting the tension flow out of him. "If you won't do it for you, do it for me. Okay?"

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"... Night..."

-- BONK

"Oof!"

"People die in car crashes. Should they not enjoy driving?" Yukiro stated, looking at Ren in her eyes as she rubbed her head gently.

Ouch...

... Wait, people enjoy driving?

"If my friend dies, and I enjoy fighting, am I a bad person?" That gave her pause. It was a serious comment, coming from her friend, and she hadn't thought about it that way. "No," she breathed, as her vision turned to the floor, realizing that fact. "... No, definitely not."

Maybe... Maybe I should take it easier on myself...

Yukiro sighed, relaxing a little. "If you won't do it for you," he said, for reassurance, "Do it for me. Okay?"

Hearing that, Ren found herself smiling a little, raising her head. "Yeah," she replied, calmer this time. "I think I can do that. Thanks, Yukiro. I appreciate it."

As she mentioned it, the waiter came back again, placing down the plates of food on their table. "Ooh!" A small stack of fluffy pancakes, littered with berries and cream, waited before her, and she couldn't wait to dig in.

@Yukiro

"I think I can do that. Thanks, Yukiro. I appreciate it." Yukiro nodded and smiled. At least she seemed to feel better.
As they finished talking the waiter came back with their plates of food.
"Ooh!" Night exclaimed. A small stack of fluffy pancakes, topped with berries and cream, sat atop her plate. Yukiro's had a golden omelet adorned with caramelized onions and peppers.
"Thank you," Yukiro said politely. The waiter bowed and left them alone.
Alone...

At this point, Yukiro had a revelation. He was, in fact, alone with a girl. This simple fact had not crossed his mind in this way before, and why it did now, was completely unknown to him or anyone else. What is know, however, is that he suddenly realized something.
I've never been alone with a girl before! What sould I do!? How should I act!? Aaah, why am I so close!?
With all the speed of a trained soldier Yukiro flung his chair to where he wasn't quite next to Night, and with all the grace of a baby deer, tripped and fell face-first on the ground. 
Springing up from his fall he sat down, shifted his plate over to him, and proceeded to eat as though nothing had occurred; he made it a point to avoid looking at Night, as his face was a bright shade of red.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Pffft-- You okay over there?" Ren called out, as Yukiro fell to the floor and scurried away from her. W-wait, I didn't scare him off, did I? I hope I didn't do anything wrong...

N-no, I'm sure he means well... Y-yeah! Right?

Nervous, she pushed the thought aside as she cut open her pancakes, warm and soft. Pouring syrup over them, she took a bite; a piece of the pancake with cream, fruits and sugar together, and concluded that her meal was sublime.

"Yukiro, do you like sweet food?" Ren asked, gingerly hoping he would take some (if only to prove she hadn't done something wrong, she hoped). Slicing out another cut and eating it, she added, slightly muffled, "It's really good -- if you're up for it, you should give it a shot!"

In preparation, she cut out another wholesome bite, making sure that both strawberry and blue were had together for her friend.

@Yukiro

"Yukiro, do you like sweet food?" Night asked. Yukiro nearly flinched at her voice. He slowly looked up at her.
"It's really good -- if you're up for it, you should give it a shot!" She was a little muffled by said sweet food. 
The problem wasn't that he didn't like sweets; he actually had quite the sweet tooth. And the pancakes did look very good.
But... could he really eat them? It was Night's food... It was becoming difficult to think. Maybe he should just go for it.

And maybe...
Yukiro looked up, but straight ahead, not at Night. "Y-yes, I do, um, like sweets," he stammered out, "D-do you want to t-try some of my omelet?"
As he spoke he cut off a piece of the meal, trying to get all of the various flavors onto the bite.
Wait. No way. 
Are we going to use each other's forks!?! 
The thought was enough to make Yukiro turn a deep red again.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Y-yes, I do, um, like sweets... --D-do you want to t-try some of my omelette?"

"Eh? Oh, sure, I'll give it a shot!" Ren brought the piece of pancake over to his plate, setting it aside in a corner. Taking a moment to think, she concluded thus, "You should probably use my fork, I.. don't think it'd be nice to mix up the flavours of the pancake and omelette together."

Placing her fork at the edge of Yukiro's plate and bringing hers closer to receive his portion, she noticed that her friend's face was warming up.

...? He's not getting sick, is he?

--Wait, what if he already was sick? That-- that explains everything!!

"Uh," Ren started, anxious. "D-do you have a cold or something that you forgot about? Dizzy, light-headedness? I mean, I'm not a doctor, but I'm sure we can get something for it after this!"

Can people even get sick in this game? I haven't seen any pharmacies, should I just go to an alchemist?

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT

"Eh? Oh, sure, I'll give it a shot!" Night accepted, bringing the piece of pancake over to his plate. "You should probably use my fork, I.. don't think it'd be nice to mix up the flavors of the pancake and omelette together." 
Aaaaaaah!! I knew it!! Is this okay!? Morally!? Am I taking advantage of her somehow!? No, no, calm down! This is just friendliness. Between friends, yeah! So there's no reason to be so worked up.
"Uh," Night sounded anxious, "D-do you have a cold or something that you forgot about? Dizzy, light-headedness? I mean, I'm not a doctor, but I'm sure we can get something for it after this!"
Wait, this is... This is it! My chance to escape this situation! Not that there's any reason to escape, as this is just friendliness between friends, but This is my out! I have to take it!
"N-no, I'm okay! Sorry, I don't mean to worry you."
What... WHAT AM I DOING!?!

Yukiro scooped up the portion of the omelet on his fork and held it up for her to eat. "H-here."

"N-no, I'm okay! Sorry, I don't mean to worry you."

Ren's blank stare appeared like it could bore a hole through Yukiro's soul. She carefully watched his movements -- the jitter, the worry, but most importantly, his red face.

Being sick... isn't a joke.

"H-here," he offered, holding up the omelette on his fork.

... But one bite couldn't hurt. The meal looks good, after all.

"Haa--" Ren chomped on the offering, chewing it slowly. The onions and peppers weren't to her favour, sure, but the egg was fluffy and soft. If Yukiro was actually sick... she was split on whether or not his meal was worth the risk.

Best find out now.

Shockingly solemnly, she replied, having downed the food, "Look, if you're having a fever, it's best not to push yourself. Maybe you didn't earlier, but you seem to be heating up, so--"

Ren leaned over the table to feel Yukiro's forehead -- it was warm, sure, but it wasn't searing. Maybe he was alright after all...?

@Yukiro

Night stared at Yukiro with a cold, merciless gaze that made Yukiro wither a bit. But any feelings of despair were overrun only a moment later.
"Haa--"
Night ate the food off of his fork.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..!!
Had he just found that... cute? No. No way. That had never happened before, nor was it ever going to happen. Not a chance. 
Right?

Night's painfully solemn voice hit Yukiro "Look, if you're having a fever, it's best not to push yourself. Maybe you didn't earlier, but you seem to be heating up, so--" She leaned over the table and placed her hand on Yukiro's forehead.
If Yukiro had ever panicked at any time in his entire life, it had not even compared to this moment. His mind went blank, his heart skipped a beat, his entire body froze to a complete standstill. 

N-Night...
"I... You... Uh... S-sorry..." he stammered, trying desperately to get something out, anything to explain what was happening. Wait, what was happening!? Why was he reacting like this!? It couldn't be... no..!
His body went limp and everything went completely dark.
Yukiro had passed out.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

# thank you for attending our funeral for yukiro, who suspiciously passed away after eating an omelette

"I... You... Uh..."

"--maybe you should see someone anyway," Ren finished, withdrawing her hand. W-wait, did Yukiro always look this bad?! Had his condition worsened?!

"S-sorry..."

His body went limp.

... He's. Not Dead. Is he?!

Ren was sweating bullets. Was he in critical danger?! She checked his health bar -- no, still green. Would being sick even cause his health to deplete?! She'd never seen anyone fall sick before, much less pass out from it --

-- T-the Manticore?!

"..."

In a panic, she waved over to a waiter. "Um... can I take these to go?"

- - -

... This was bad.

She'd kept the food securely contained in her inventory, sure, but if Yukiro was dying, she had to save him. It'd only been the first day of adventure; things couldn't have gone south so quickly, could they?!

Was this the universe's way of telling me people would die if I went on adventures?!?!?!

Huffing, she had carried Yukiro's body all the way to Zackariah's stall. The chill of the night didn't help her constitution, but if her friend's life was in danger, she'd do all she could to save him.

"Excuse me! Zackariah?!" This was not the time to play social niceties. The old man was rudely awoken, scratching his head. "Who is it?! What'd'ya want?"

"I've got an unconscious body here and I need some help stat!"

Zackariah looked right at her, with wide open eyes, now awake. "Eh?"

- - -

It had been a few moments, but Zackariah was ready to get to work. "Look," he started, "this isn't exactly up to protocol..."

Ren looked at him in shock.

"...Okay, yes it is." She recovered. "But I'm going to need you to make us a health potion out of those flowers you brought me."

"Make some potions! Got it!" Ren hollered back, looking around the stall in a frenzy.

... Truth to be told, Ren didn't know how to make potions just yet, so whilst Zackariah was tending to Yukiro's condition... Ren was looking for an instructional manual.

@Yukiro

Yukiro was standing somewhere. Where was he? Everything was dark, so he couldn't tell. His body felt heavy. For some reason he felt compelled to look up. And above him he saw the outline of a person. 
And for reasons he didn't know, he didn't like that person.
He was very, very jealous. Why..? He surely had no reason to envy them...
A voice echoed through the darkness. 
"Make some potions! Got it!" 

Night...
He had to go to her. There was urgency in her voice. That compelled him even more than the urge to punch the figure above him did.
And everything faded away...

Yukiro's body took a moment to start up. First, his sense of touch came back. Then his smell. And then everything went into full gear.
He sat up suddenly, eyes whipping around to see where he was. His hand had automatically drawn his sword partway out when he realized he was in Zackariah's workshop. 
A moment later he noticed Night looking through things furiously. 
"O-Oi," he started, tapping her on the shoulder.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"O-Oi..."

"Gah!" Ren turned around to check, but it appeared it was her patient who woke up. Relieved, she sighed, relaxing her shoulders. "Oh, it's you. Thank goodness..."

"... Please don't scare me like that again." Ren curtly stated, slightly distraught. "Are you alright, though? No dizzy spells, nothing?" She placed the back of her hand against Yukiro's forehead again, just to make sure; and thankfully, it seemed that his temperature had gone down. "Phew," she breathed.

Ren took some time to slowly processing their current situation. Checking in with Zackariah, he'd confirmed that Yukiro appeared to be all fine, and further relief washed over Ren completely. Approaching her friend once more, she looked up to him with a sharp look. "If you ever feel giddy like that again, please let me know as soon as possible. I can't let you pass out like that in the middle of a field, so to say."

"If you two are feeling dandy enough," Zackariah bellowed, half-awake, "Then you two can try making me some potions." The man stretched, attempting to regain his focus, as Ren turned to Yukiro in realization. "Oh, uh, right. I brought you over here because -" she gestured to Zackariah "- is the only alchemist I know. But uh... D-do you know how to make potions...?"

@Yukiro

Spoiler

ID# 127633 | CD: 12

"... Please don't scare me like that again." Night said, a little distraught. "Are you alright, though? No dizzy spells, nothing?" 
This time, Yukiro was prepared. He calmly acted like nothing was wrong.

AS IF!!
His face went only a little red this time, and he whipped his head away, trying to avoid contact.
"L-look... It's not that I'm sick, I promise. I-it's just..."
He took another glance at Night's clueless face.
"... Oblivious..."

After Night checked in with Zackariah and confirmed that Yukiro was okay. She looked up at him with a sharp look that, if he was being honest, made him nervous. "If you ever feel giddy like that again, please let me know as soon as possible. I can't let you pass out like that in the middle of a field, so to say."
"Th-that was entirely your fault--!! I-i mean, it was kind of mine, but--"
"If you two are feeling dandy enough," Zackariah interrupted, half-awake, "Then you two can try making me some potions." The man stretched, attempting to regain his focus.
"Oh, uh, right. I brought you over here because -" she gestured to Zackariah "- is the only alchemist I know. But uh... D-do you know how to make potions...?"

Yukiro looked up at Zackariah. "Hey. It's been a while. Sorry for not dropping by more often."
Zackariah yawned, "You do it often enough."
"Mind if I go ahead?"
"Not at all."

With that, Yukiro got started. Being very weary of Night's location, he grabbed a couple of vials and a grinding bowl. With what looked like a practiced motion, he ground up the herbs and transferred the resulting past into a vial. He plugged the solution with his finger and shook it for a short bit before transferring it to an empty bottle.
"Roughly like that."

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

ID: 127634 | CD: 11 | Success!

"Th-that was entirely your fault--!! I-I mean, it was kind of mine, but--" Ren pondered on it for a moment, as Yukiro talked to the alchemist. H-her fault? ... So she did something wrong? What was it?

... Maybe the conversation was a bad idea after all...

The tinkering of glass brought her attention from moping to Yukiro, grabbing a few alchemical tools. Oh, right, my quest. A quick grinding of the flowers they'd brought, a few shakes, and the potion was complete.

"Roughly like that," Yukiro gestured over to his example.

"... I think I can replicate that..?"

With understanding and some fluency, Ren proceeded to pummel the herbs, venting out her doubts with the motions. She poured the sad-looking pulp into another vial, stirring it airlocked and watching the medication's results with a distant look. When she was done, she took a second to look into the vial, hesitant.

... Do I have to transfer it to a bottle..?

Despite her doubts, she shrugged, and poured it into the provided container without fanfare. As she did, Zackariah approached the two, picking up the filled potion bottles and examining them closely.

"... Yup, they look to be about right. That's it from me, really..." He placed them down back on the countertop. "Oh, but before you two go anywhere," the old man paused, looking around. He moved to the opposite side of the store and picked up a brown paper package. "Take this; it needs to be delivered to Lyle Tealeaf, and while I may not care when," he scratched his head, "Please try not to wake anyone up unnecessarily, okay?"

Whoops.

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT

Yukiro scratched the back of his head. 
"Sorry for bothering you so late. We'll let you sleep now," he said, tugging Night out of the small shop. He went a little red when he clutched her arm, but tried to prioritize leaving Zackariah alone. 
Once the pair were out o the shop Yukiro released Night. "S-sorry if I was too rough. It wasn't my intention."
He though for a moment. 
"Um, about what I said in there... It was wrong, nothing was your fault."
He started glancing away again. 
"It's just... I... er..."
What was he supposed to say now? He couldn't lie to her, but could he really tell the truth? 
Could he say anything? 
He wished she would just realize what was going on. Or maybe he didn't? 
Argh! This is why I don't interact with people!!
"Um... Well... It's just, I feel..."
No, he couldn't do it. 
He had to change the subject.
"Ah, haha, anyways, do you have anywhere to stay the night? If not, you can sleep in my shop. I won't be there, but it's got a little cot."
Yeah, let's be honest. He was gonna sleep on a bench anyways. 

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

As Ren wordlessly picked up the parcel from Zackariah, Yukiro replied, "Sorry for bothering you so late. We'll let you sleep now." Grabbing her arm, he proceeded to drag her out the shop, as Ren checked the package once over for details.

It was too generic.

When the two were a safe distance away from the shop, Ren was released from Yukiro's grip. "S-sorry if I was too rough," he mentioned, "It wasn't my intention."

Ren watched him cautiously, seemingly a little more stoic than before. "No, it's fine," she replied, watching the lights go off in Zackariah's shop. "He needed the break, anyway."

"Um," Yukiro paused, "About what I said in there... It was wrong, nothing was your fault."

... Huh?

"It's just... I... er..."

He's stammering now. Did... did I do something wrong, or not?

... Why's he so difficult to figure out?

"Um... Well.. It's just, I feel..."

Ren tilted her head, genuinely lost, and at this point annoyed, from the conversation, before Yukiro began laughing it off. He waved away his original remarks, "Haha, anyways, do you have anywhere to stay the night?"

Ren tensed from the thought alone. ... I don't want to go back there.

"If not, you can sleep in my shop," he offered, and to Ren he appeared a little sheepish. "I won't be there, but it's got a little cot."

She scratched her head, distracted. "I wouldn't mind. But to tell you the truth, I'm only awake now so I can avoid the crowd..." Ren continued, thinking deeply as she looked up at the sky, avoiding eye contact. "Besides, isn't it your cot? Why... don't you sleep in there instead?"

@Yukiro

Why wouldn't he be sleeping there? 
Well, there were two reasons. He had been in there enough lately, forging out so many pieces of equipment. He wanted a break.
But that was an excuse. The real reason was that she would be there. If he even considered sleeping in the same room as her... No, he didn't want to think about it. 
"I just... Wanted to avoid the place for a little bit. Besides, I have another place I can go to."
He glanced at the bench they had been at earlier. I wasn't a lie, technically, so he could say that.
"A-and, if you do want to stay there, I sure you wouldn't want me around."
Night looked a little annoyed. What could he do..?
Why did he never know what to do around her..?
Gah! Stop it, no more! No more feelings! Focus on helping her as a beginner!
Clearing his throat, he continued. "Of course, if you'd prefer one of the inns, I can help pay for that."

@NIGHT

"I just... Wanted to avoid the place for a little bit," Yukiro replied, turning to the bench subtly. "Besides, I have another place I can go to."

"A-and, if you do want to stay there, I sure you wouldn't want me around," he added, and Ren flinched, appearing disgruntled. How could he say that? Other than the accusation earlier... it's not like you've done anything wrong.

Her friend cleared his throat, continuing. "Of course, if you'd prefer one of the inns--"

"N-no. No inns," she shot back reflexively. "And what do you mean I don't want you around?" Ren folded her arms, defensive and worried. "I -I do? We've just became friends, I have no reason to take it back!"

"I... I actually thought you didn't," she added, beginning to look downcast. "That I did something wrong somewhere, earlier..." Ren brushed her eyes with her sleeve, attempting to hide her welling tears. After a moment's recovery, she balled up her hands into fists. Through gritted teeth, through her anger and sadness and confusion, she breathed, "I'm sorry, I don't know what I did, so please tell me. I didn't mean to upset you, I swear."

@Yukiro

"And what do you mean I don't want you around? I -I do? We've just became friends, I have no reason to take it back!"
Yukiro felt a little crestfallen and a little excited at the same time. 

"Y-you do?"
"I... I actually thought you didn't. That I did something wrong somewhere, earlier..."
"Wha-- Huh?" That, he had no seen coming. What had he done...
Ah. Right. He blamed his actions on her. 
Night brushed her eyes with her sleeve. Tears were forming on her face.
"Ack! N-no, I'm sorry!" he stammered out, a little panicked. 
Sh-shoot, no no no, what do I do what do I do?
Night clenched her fists. "I'm sorry, I don't know what I did, so please tell me. I didn't mean to upset you, I swear," she  barely breathed out.

Yukiro froze up. He had no idea what to do, not even the slightest clue. He couldn't lie to her. What...
He really didn't like the idea that came to mind. But it was all he had, short of fleeing the area.

"I-I... N-Night. You didn't do anything wrong. I promise. It's just that..."
Oh gosh I'm saying it!
"You just... Remind me of my friend, and, um... I think... I think I like you."
He got extremely quiet, so he wasn't sure if she heard or not. A part of him hoped she did. A part hoped she didn't. He just looked straight at his feet, eyes wide, slightly.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro