[PP-F21] <<Trouble in the Mines>> Blueberries and Oranges

Quest

Mari was back here, on the 21st Floor - where they had fought that mighty crystal dragon -Skalaugh. The battle felt longer than it ever needed to be. It was a catalyst, in a way. Or maybe it was meeting Freyd that had been. She was making her way back down from the 23rd floor and chose to linger here for a few reasons. Mari needed a break. It'd take some time to make her way back down to the 4th floor, and as a marked PKer it made travel using the ports...difficult. Avoiding guards in town just seemed like a...hassle. Once, Mari would have cared about the people, hell - even the NPCs. She'd not want to set foot into a town because she didn't want to incite fear, worry, or concern.

But did any of that really matter anymore?

No matter what she did, no matter how she acted - how many smiles she gave, how many puns she said. She was still met with scorn. She still felt incredibly hollow. Mari was just...going through the movements of living. A part of her was worried that if she didn't pay enough attention she may just wander right off the edge of the floor, and would that really be so bad? 

The tired woman sighed, a long and low exhale as she knelt down to start going through the dirt - this was near the battle. Did any of those crystal shards remain? Any of those strange Tokens Freyd had? If she found nothing Mari would simply move on. This was just busy work whilst she rested.

@ChaseR

Spoiler

General
Level: 79 | HP: 1610  |Energy: 158

BATTLE COPY
Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1610/1610  | EN: 158/158 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage
Extended Mod Limit Rank 3 (+3 Mods)
First Aid: Cost 5% in EN Heal 4% per rank of a target party member’s maximum HP (rounded down). Cannot target the user.
Field Medic Mod: 12 En + 3 En per player:  heal for 20% of each party members maximum HP

EQUIPPED
Name:
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Edited by Mari
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bluehead's reason for being here was different, a bit more normal. His house was over by the Hot Springs, and he'd taken a walk to the settlement to check in on some NPCs for the usual vanity crystals he kept his inventory so bogged up with. After what would have been an unsuccessful haul, he decided to return home only to see someone further outside of the safezone. He moved closer and then he saw it- an orange cursor. She looked to be brooding, searching for something, but looks didn't deceive him much.

She'd killed a player, so who knew she wouldn't attack him either. He knew he was fast enough though. If she tried to pull any tricks on him, he'd slide his weapon out and fight back in an instant. With a hand raised over to just above his head behind him, where the hilt of his sword was, he gripped it tightly and held it firmly, approaching her to ask. "... What is it?". His voice was cold and rather emotionless, but it sounded almost condescending. He never held respect for the so called PKs he'd never seen before, but... Maybe it was his naivety that made him be kinder to her. Maybe it was a good hunch. Hell if he knew.

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 52
HP: 1070/1070
EN: 104/104

Stats:
Damage: 18
Mitigation: 43
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 3
BH:32
VAMP DEF:53
FRZ:24
BLD:24
HLY BLS:16
LD:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Zero Degree Icicle>> (T2/Perfect/2HSS): ACC I, FRZ I, BLD I
Armor: <<Azure Overcoat>> (T2/Perfect/Light Armor): V.DEF I, HBS I, MIT I
Misc: <<Chained Bracelet>> (T2/Perfect/Trinket): EVA II, ACC I

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Battle Healing [Rank 3]
Searching [Rank 1]
Fighting Spirit [Obtained]
Howl [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter
Survival
Disguise

Mods:
2HSS Finesse [R3]
Precision
Athletics
Sprint & Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(heal 50HP)*3
Insta-Life ++ (T2/Perfect/HP REC III)*1
Woodland Armor (T2/Perfect) MIT III (1/3)*1
Teleport Crystal [F21]*1
Imugi's Inspiration (Mass HP Recovery)*3
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Mari looked up to see a young kid - judging by his soft facial features she had to guess that he was on the cusp of adulthood - if not already there. It was a little hard to tell - and if her run in with Freyd told her anything, it was not to misjudge someone's age. Was he...really asking her that? "What's what?" Mari asked in response as she wiped her hands off on her scarf before pushing herself to her feet. He stood taller than her - but hey so did everyone. Blazing sapphire eyes stared first at her crystal then at her.

"I'm just passing by." Mari said quietly. Here is where she'd usually offer him a grin, her name, and a pun or two - but Mari just wasn't feeling that these days. She was too tired to wear that mask of constant smiles. She'd torn off herself, piece by piece to try and please everyone - and now there was little of her left. 

"My presence clearly bothers you, Blueberry." Mari turned her back on him, waving him off with a dismissive wave behind her back. "So don't mind me, I get it. Big scary PKer. I'm not going to do anything." 

@ChaseR

This was quite the situation- no smile, no pep other than the name she came up with for him. She wasn't trying to mask anything and was fully conscious she was a PK. If she were this high up and comfortable out of the safezone, let alone a PKer at that, there was no way that she was weak. Maybe she was one of the top frontliners that Freyd had warned him about. "... I saw you here before.", he grumbled in response, thinking back to the invasion of the Sundered Spire in his home floor- the one that each tier took care of individually, but it was ultimately due to their teamwork that they'd all succeeded.

"You helped protect my house. Why? If you're a PK, you should have attacked me. You haven't yet. So why'd you do it?", he continued with a confused expression on his face, huffing and furrowing his eyebrows as he lowered his hand from his weapon to stuff them both in his pockets. Where he was once tense, he seemed much calmer and even nonchalant about her being there by now. She didn't appear to be in a mood for combat, either way. At least with players- he knew whenever Shay was down, she could always use a bout or two to vent.

"Wh-" Where were these bold accusations coming from. "I-" It was...actually it was oddly refreshing to see. Someone guarded and demanding. Someone who treated her how she expected to be treated. Deserved to be treated. Even if it was terribly naive. "Where do I even begin..." Mari said with a small sigh as she turned on her booted heel so she could face the youth again. Mari ran a hand through her hair. Normally....normally she'd lecture him on how he was being unsafe - just demanding such things from a PKer? Did he want to get himself stabbed? But Mari left those words unsaid. He wouldn't care to hear them and Mari no longer had the energy to entertain them. It'd just make him dislike her more.

"Protect your house?" Mari asked as she  glance around. "Do you...live in the dirt?" It was an honest question. She had been for quite some time, and many other players were simple vegabonds. Camping wherever they saw fit.  "You don't even know my name and yet somehow my reputation precedes me...I'm Mari." Not that he'd care. "I don't want anyone else to die. Me saving your-" She paused, glancing around. "Erm. house." She finished skeptically. "Was just coincidence."

Why did she do it...

Mari turned her gaze to the sky, or - what would have been the sky if the entire floor were not underground. Why? Why did she keep bothering to fight - was her answer real? Did she really not want anyone else to die? Mari tried to find the truth in her own words. If someone were to drop dead in front of her now - Mari wasn't sure how she'd react. Maybe her gemini was right - maybe she didn't really care at all. 

"Or maybe..." Mari added quietly. "I'm just going through the motions of caring. As for why I haven't attacked you- I really see no reason to. I don't want to. Do you think everyone who has an orange cursor enjoys it?"

@ChaseR

This was a rather grueling conversation, for the boy. On one hand, she was onto something. On the other... "Going through the motions of caring? Enjoying it? Are you fucking stupid or just pretending to be an idiot?", he asked her with an intense glare, his brows furrowed and his face filled with anger. "You've killed a man. Maybe even many for all I know. You're still wearing that badge. You either want to be treated like trash or enjoy it. Cut the crap.", he lashed out at her with calm anger, yet cruelly honest words. He put everything as is.

Speech was never his mastered skill, neither was it sugarcoating himself. "I have a normal house further out from here. That's all I'm telling you. But snap the fuck out of it, if you're trying to convince me you're a PK, you're doing a pathetic job. You either killed someone by accident or in self defense.", he continued on a wild guess. "There's no way somebody as weak willed as you are would kill someone with malice.", he went on, crossing his arms.

Even now, he didn't feel the need to arm himself as he continued to glare her down, letting out a deep exhale. "So why did you do it?". He hadn't been asking about her protecting his house all along, but why she became a PK. Now it was more obvious than before. As stubborn of him as it was, a teleport crystal in hand and the safezone just a few steps away, he was in no trouble whatsoever. The perfect moment to seize to question a PKer on their ways.

Edited by ChaseR

"Death is light as a feather - duty, heavy as a mountain." Mari began. "What use is it to clear the cursors colour? It wouldn't clear my past. I could take Redemption - but, unless I felt deserving of it, unless I earned it, it'd be hollow. Besides..." Mari turned her side-ward gaze to the blue haired youth. Her eyes steel cold. Sure, her words were wispy, washed out ramblings. But her demeanor? Mari straightened her back. Her face showing narry a flicker of emotion. She didn't mean to look down on him in that moment, but - it was painfully clear how experienced she was. "Do you really want someone like me walking freely?" Mari stepped toward him now, slow calculated and deliberate steps - her feet barely making a sound against the dirtied ground. "Do you really want a murdurer walking around town? Your words clearly show your inexperience."

He misconstrued her words, assuming she was enjoying the act of taking a life - Mari did not correct him. He could think whatever he wanted about her, one more person hating her, that was but a drop in the ocean. "You have made it painfully clear you don't know me." Mari said, still calm amidst his outburst. "I'm not trying to convince you of anything." Mari shrugged as she came to a standstill in front of him. "You're the one throwing accusations."

Mari was sick of people telling her how she should feel, and what she should do - as if they knew what was best for her. Even this kid, couldn't mind his own business. Mari reached out and placed a palm on the flat of his chest. She pressed hard, pushing him out the way so she could pass him. "There are too many names for me to list them to you, I don't need to answer your open ended question." She began as she passed him. He was being a right sh*t - and everything he said was wrong. "No matter what I say, you're going to throw it into my face, so I'd rather not say anything."

Although he was right about one thing. "I never did kill out of malice, no." Mari said to him. pausing in her trek away fro him. 

@ChaseR

Edited by Mari

Every step was another bead of sweat that formed on his forehead. He was starting to get anxious, nervous, but he tried to tough it out. There was no use picking up his weapon now, with a hand slowly sliding to his jacket's pocket to take hold of the teleport crystal and gripping it tightly. His eyes were shaking if anything the closer she got, until she pressed him back and just pushed him. It was enough to throw him off balance and flat on his rear onto the ground. Silence from his side while she continued to talk, not stopping in her stride to... to do what?

He couldn't see eye to her. She was right. He'd shun her for every single one of the deaths and in no way did he think that she deserved any better. But everybody, even those that took lives, deserved a chance. Maybe this was him being too naive, or maybe he was right. "Y-You...", he growled under his breath, his bangs covering his eyes by now as he stayed on the ground, using his left hand to keep himself from laying flat on it. It took him a moment of struggling or two, but he managed to go up against his instinct and get back up to turn to her again. He was scared.

The way she talked, the way she looked at him and moved, they were clearly nothing like he'd seen before- a true person's who had to take somebody's life in the past. "You killed... And you still don't get it.", he clenched his jaw shut and glared her even sharper than before, livid. "If you were a murderer, you would have killed me on sight. And you're telling me you've killed so many, yet you just... You just keep blaming yourself and doing nothing about it... They wanted to get home and you took it from them. So what are you doing in response? NOTHING! How can you bear that?!", he lashed out at her, tears having formed on the corners of his eyes. His fists were clenched, and he was on the verge of lunging at her given his anger. "Don't you want to make up for it at all?! You're fine with letting their deaths be in vain?!"

"You really think I'm doing nolthing?" Mari asked as she crouched down by him. "You're going to make that assumption based on a few minutes of talking to me?" She asked leaning on her knees. "You think once I've taken a life I'd develop some kind of lust for it? What are you, 12? This isn't some game or anime, kid."  Mari stood as he scrambled to push himself off the ground.

He...was crying? Mari blinked and perhaps it was because she was a mother but she instinctively reached out, her thumb brushing gently under his eyes to remove the tears from his face. He would have jerked away so Mari retracted her arm. It must have been weird to an onlooker, with how tall her was compared to her, but there was an underlining sweet tenderness in her action that was difficult to ignore. Despite her cold words and demeanor. 

"I can't bear it. That weight will always be on my shoulders." Mari said softly, the cold from her voice melting to a pensive whisper, just loud enough for the two of them to hear. "I'm here because I want someone to remember them. I want their names to be more than etchings on a monument. I'm here because I've taken so much from this place, and now - I want to do all I can to ensure everyone else can go home. So don't be a brat- and tell me what I am and am not fine with."

@ChaseR

As soon as she wiped the tears from his eyes, he froze. He looked at her with an open mouth, finding himself at a loss of words. It wasn't long before more tears followed, starting to stream down his cheeks. She had such a cold expression a few seconds ago, but suddenly she was... So she was giving it her all after all, despite being an orange player. That's what Shay meant that they're not all the same. What he thought would be the most dangerous of people had soft sides and even seemed to want to repent, just in their own ways. He was beginning to understand now.

With the downpour of tears continuing, he just felt weak. No longer angry or sad, just weak. Her gesture was more than appreciated, and the way she referred to him as a brat just solidified it. Through his tears, he sniffled and looked at her, trying to not choke on his words. "Y-You're not a- nngh... M-Murderer...", he uttered and looked away for a moment, shutting his eyes tightly before he looked back at her again, sobbing and crying. He'd yet to be met with the true hardships of Aincrad. "T-Tell me about them... I won't forget... I-I've a li-. L-Library... I'll write it all down and make sure nobody f-forgets. So please..."

Even if he felt he had matured in this little time that he was blasting through levels, fighting for his life every single day, he felt like a lost child right now. He wanted to repay her for the hurtful words he'd said based on... just like she'd pointed out, assumptions. All it took for him to reach his breaking point was a single encounter with the right person and his social ineptitude. Ultimately though, this was just another step towards fixing his horrible wording and expressing himself. One step closer to becoming more understanding and less crass.

Oh no.
Oh no.

Tears.
     Actual tears.

How was Mari supposed to deal with this? "Geez...I thought you were ready to stab me or something." Mari mumbled as he just...quite literally broke down in front of her. Why did she seem to have this effect on people? Why did they break down like this? Mari knew she was bad ...but... Mari closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath. This was her fate wasn't it? Her form of redemption. She supposed she still had some pieces of her to tear off and give away.

"I am though." Mari said quietly as he tried to tell her she wasn't a murderer. "I took those lives. Regardless of the reason. I could have been stronger - but I wasn't. Nothing can nor will change that."  He was still crying. What was she supposed to do? How was she meant to comfort him, especially when he was asking her to list all their names. That... was a little much for her right now.

There were moments of silence as she watched him, streaming tears cleansing flushed cheeks of whatever rage he once felt.  He probably needed that salty release, if his quick anger was anything to go by. So Mari did the polite thing and waited- as much as she wanted to just walk away from the situation it seemed that the kid needed her. "I'm not quite ready to talk about it so freely with you." Mari said as she awkwardly reached out and planted her hand in the midst of his aquamarine hair. "And you're in no condition to record them."

There was another long pause, followed by another pat.

"It's...okay. I'm used to it, and honestly..." Mari stepped away and tried to offer him the faintest of smiles. The ones she was used to wearing. "It was a little refreshing to have someone react that way."  Should she try to distract him? Or let him purge himself of everything he had pent up? Mari took a step back as she opened up her HUD - bringing up her inventory she pulled out two things. The first, a fluffy white blanket - something she had taken from her home in case the nights out here were too cold. The next. A single cup of milky earl grey tea. Mari pressed it into his shaking hands.

"Sometimes, all we need is someone to listen, and a warm cup of tea."

And just like that, the crumbling mask had been put back together.
@ChaseR

The pats on his head were just fanning the flames- or rather the tears, at this point. The way she was treating him despite all he'd said, and how she could just take control of the situation in an instant... He didn't agree with her. She wasn't a murderer if she still had this humane of a side to her, but there was no getting through to her. As much as he could say, they'd just be arguing back and forth and never getting anywhere. He wanted to tell her to not look at him and treat him like a kid, but right now... He was in no position to make such demands. Hell, she was probably right for acting the way she was with him.

The reason he was crying wasn't because he felt bad- necessarily. He was moved from her affectionate responses, in his eyes even more so than normal, and just felt bad for having treated her the way he had. "I-I'm sorry... for being so presumptuous... That's all...", he muttered as he accepted the both of them, wiping at his tears with the blankets even if more continued to come out, to a lesser extent than before however. He was starting to calm down, no longer sobbing. Just sniffling and looking up to her before his eyes shied back onto the ground as he stood, awkwardly, trying to find words to say.

He took a few sips from the tea she'd offered him and almost felt himself starting to bawl once more as he mumbled under his own breath, something inaudible. He repeated it a few times before she could make out what he was saying, with an ever so faint smile and grateful tone. "Nobody's treated me this way before... Thank you...". Seeing as words weren't his strong suit, he was much more used to taking actions to heart- why was why he got so offended with Yuki at how she'd acted back in their Traveler quest. Likewise, he truly appreciated Mari's motherly side that came out and ultimately caused Chase to break down before her despite how little he knew her.

@Mari

Edited by ChaseR

He seemed to calm down at least; once the tea was in his hands. His shoulders slumped and despite their height difference he seemed incredibly small in that moment - huddled over the small teacup. Hands holding it as though it were the gentlest of kittens. "See. All it takes is a hot cup of tea." Mari reaffirmed. She didn't have her own to drink - she only brought the single serving for herself - but, at least it was going to good use.

"But - speaking of presumptuous." Mari began, her tone turning serious. "You're not wrong to act with caution. Maybe..." She glanced away. What was the best way to word this without upsetting him. "Maybe - not be so confrontational with a potential enemy. Small things can really set people off."  Mari should know, she was was the one with anger issues. She could have very well snapped at him, and added fuel to the fire, if she didn't feel so emotionally numb right now.

"Nobody's treated me this way before... Thank you...".

Blue eyes widened in mid shock. Did he mean just here? Or in his entire life? Either one sounded pretty messed up. No wonder why people were going mad here. Basic human things like affection and consideration seemed so scarce. "This fucking game..." Mari muttered under her breath.  Mari quickly shook her head. Right. She'd just have to keep offering that to everyone else then. She didn't need it herself. The last month proved that. She was perfectly fine alone. 

Instead; Mari turned her attention to the kid. "Well. Blueberry. I'd say that's pretty messed up. Don't you think?"

@ChaseR

He looked up at her as she spoke, listening carefully and giving slow nods along her words. And then it was that he got confused- she seemed to react so shocked for... what? Either the two weren't on the same page, or Chase was missing something out. He thought about what to say for a while once she turned back to him, looking down at the tea she'd given him and gripping the cup with both hands, holding it tightly. As much as he thought about it, he shook his head and looked back up at her. "... I don't know. I've never been a people person. I'm horrible at talking."

Chase was self aware, very much so on this topic. He didn't feel bad in admitting it, so it didn't matter too much really. "I'm sure Shay would do the same. But she's not that way. So probably not. She's horrible with people, way more than I am.", he said, although he hadn't made it clear who Shay was. It didn't cross his mind that the two hadn't exchanged names yet, but by now he knew he could just rest easy with the orangehead around. Overall, there were few people that he really knew and trusted this well, those being... Shay, NIGHT and that's about it. He knew Freyd could be trusted too, but not in the same way as the former.

"Are people meant to act like 'mothers' so often..?", he asked her with a small smile and squinted eyes, somewhat hesitant to have done so. He was curious though, now that she had mentioned it. "Nobody's ever seen me this way either... Sorry for doing that to you.", he added rather regrettably towards the end, huffing and scratching the back of his head before going back to keeping his hands wrapped around the cup.

I'm horrible at talking."

Mari snorted. He was preaching to the choir. Mari was terrible with people. She wasn't very good with it. She often said the wrong thing and her initial instincts were to always push people away. Because it was easier and less painful. Every person she had let too close...either got hurt, or hurt her. Thus far the only person yet to do that was Macradon, and even he was held at arms length.

Mari had no idea who Shay was, probably someone close to the blue topped kid. "We are in a video game yanno. One limited with its release, I'm sure a good 80% of the people here have some sort of social..." Mari waved her hand in the air, trying to find the right word. "Social...ineptitude? Social awkwardness...it just happens in these sort of situations. Actually. This exact situation hasn't happened before - which makes it even harder to navigate, right?"   Mari would claim she was terrible with words. That she wasn't good with people, but strangely enough - times like this. Her awkward mannerisms and words just tended to be the right thing to say. Usually.

"Are people meant to act like 'mothers' so often..?

"M-Mother!?" Did he think that's how she was acting? "I uh..." Mari tugged on her hair. "No. Not normally - I just think..." Mari drew in a deep breath. "People should be a little more...understanding is all."  Mari chewed her cheek. She should probably get going, right?

"You can keep the blanket." She said with a wave. "You seemed busy so I best let you to it."

@ChaseR

"N-No, I didn't mean it in a bad way, I-", he tried to talk and stammered over his own words as she prepared to leave, wiping his eyes once more and getting up, still awkwardly holding the cup of tea in his hands. "I wasn't doing anything, it was my day off. I'd uh. Like it if we went on a quest together. If you have time to spare. Running away from others doesn't seem like any fun. Guards and all.", the bluehead quickly tried to save the situation. It's not that there'd be any bad blood between them if she just left like that, but he could swear it just felt... off.

"I'm into the third tier too, so... we'll probably be fighting together sooner or later, uh...". And it was then that the time to address her came when it hit him, he had no clue what her name was. The same went for her, of course. With a cough, he softened his expression again and gave her a small smile. "My name's Chase... ah, ChaseR.". Even though he'd introduced himself to her, that didn't mean the two would just mesh or even go questing together. It's just that the two seemed to be off to a good start, even with her being a PK and all.

He felt like the least to repay her, if she didn't want to open up to him, was to at least do her a favor and quest alongside one another. "... There's one on this floor, by the mines. If you're interested.", he continued somewhat desperately, starting to break a cold sweat from waiting for an answer and trying his best to not push her away any more.

"I know." Mari said to his stammered apology. "It just -" She shifted her eyes away. "It caught me off guard. I am...was a mother - so hearing that is just...a little surprising I guess."  Blueberry went on to explain it was his day off - Mari bit her tongue, her first instinct to give him a quick barb about walking around alone in the dark. But, he did say his house was nearby, right? Mari visibly shifted her head to and fro - trying to catch sight of his 'house' but had seen nothing of the sort. "Was your house close to the battleground? The fight with the Sundered Spire wasn't too far from here...You say you're third tier? Heh." Mari put her hands on her hips. "We coulda used you against that giant crystal dragon. I'm a frontliner I'm err....actually hang on-" 

Mari paused to check her stats - she hadn't bothered to see her level for quite some time.  "Ah. Level 79. " That was higher than she expected.  Mari shook her head as she waved away her HUD. She didn't want to seem like she was bragging. Talk about levels and the like made her uncomfortable.

"Mmm....mines...." There might be some clues there. "Okay." Mari agreed. She may find something to do with the Sundered Spire here - that is, if there were still remnants of them around. It was why Mari was lingering around in the first place. "A quest might...be nice." As long as it had nothing to do with saving wives and doting husbands.

"What's the quest?"

@ChaseR

The news about her being a mother just made him feel even worse about having berated her the way he had- or at least attempted and thankfully failed- before. "Even still... Murderer or not, she deserves to go back as much as anybody else. Her child is still waiting out there.", he made a small mental note and laughed awkwardly at the comments, scratching the back of his head. "A-Actually, my equipment is still second tier, and I was trying to take the lead with the Vanguard... Er... Nobody listened but I was the strongest player until I went up. Back to humble starts, but this time, I can help with the floor boss.". He almost got negative, until he picked the mood back up with a small clenching of his fist and a smile.

"My house is just a little ways away from here, near the Hot Springs... uh... N-Not a house, it's an estate but I worked for it and all so yeah... That level though...". His jumbled up thoughts and how impressed he was with everything he found out about the lady. "She's just a few levels below Calrex, she can definitely know a lot about all frontliners... That means she's a step closer to finding out all I can about unique skills before going looking for them myself.", he rounded up his thoughts with a slightly bigger smile, spacing out before remembering he still hadn't answered a question.

"A-Ah, right, the quest. Some hatchlings running loose in a mine. The goal's to kill ten or so, but if we bring back ten of their hides which can get damaged easily, it nabs you some extra SP. I'd rather stay for the additional reward, seeing as it's a day off for me.", he commented and looked to the side, thinking about it and nodding to himself in agreement with his decision before he turned back to Mari. "What do you say uh... Mary? Or should I call you ma' for short?". His smile instantly deviated to a smirk, before he took another sip of the tea she'd given him. Almost through with the cup, and although he didn't usually enjoy it, it was unusually good. Maybe he could also make her his tea dealer while he's at it.

Edited by ChaseR
Yes, he did mispronounce Mari. Names aren't his strong suit. Like anything ever isn't.

"If your equipment works, it works-does the tier really matter?"  It probably did in some cases. But that wasn't what needed to be said right now. Mari felt a little...awkward with his lingering gaze. It felt like he was planning something. It reminded her of Freyd - and look at how far that had gotten her. "It's really nothing - I've just...seen a lot, and done a lot." Mari added as she tried to brush off  the subject of her level. "It just sorta, happened that way. But- if I can help just ask." There it was. The offer to help. Pushing down her own wants and needs in lieu of another, and it had come so naturally to her. No one would pick that she'd rather just coop herself up and away alone somewhere. Nor how tired she was. When was the last time I slept?

"Mary?" Mari shook her head. "N-No - its Mari -Mah-Ree. I-" She stopped again with his next words -

"-Or should I call you ma' for short?".

She froze. Such a simple question. Chaser probably didn't even realize that the word could me misconstrued as 'Ma. Mother. Mama...' There was no way he could have known. Surely. Still, the innocent utterance sent a chill down her spine - and set an ache that was deeply rooted in her heart. Mari hid it perfectly. She hid the heavy iron that pumped through her veins - the chill in her lungs. "Mari works. Just Mari." Came her cool reply.

"Well-" She took another breath to still the storm inside her. "You should lead the way, Blueberry."

@ChaseR

The way she froze was signal enough that he'd somehow fucked up. He wasn't sure how, but he didn't want to mess up any further. The reply that followed after she halted her words appeared way too calm to be positive in any way. "R-Right away.", he nodded at Mari and looked behind them, finishing up the tea, as the cup disappeared shortly after. He began to head right towards the mines, still holding onto the blanket which he realized only after a few moments had passed. He raised it in front of him to look at it, frowning and trying to think.

"... Is that what she meant? That she 'was' a mother?", he pondered to himself silently with a guilty expression and frown. He thought she'd appreciate hearing a familiar callout the same way he enjoyed hearing the nickname she'd given him. If it were anybody else, he'd probably be pissed off, seeing as he gave names like pink or pinkhead to people he didn't like. In this case, Yuki. But she didn't have the same 'ill' intent in store for him. "... I can't seem to do a thing right with her around. Damn it.", Chase let out a drawn sigh and continued onwards, until they were at the start of a cave complex.

He stopped, looking down at the rails on their feet. The man turned around to hold the blanket to her with a small smile, offering it back. "It's yours. Take it back.". He'd gone back to speaking shortly to avoid making the same mess he seemed to have before, already hearing the crying of dragon hatchlings further on inside. He didn't want her blanket to get ripped to shreds like that, just because some pipsqueak with wings was trying to tear at them with its claws.