[F12-PP] Break Time in Paradise <<Just for the Halibut>>

Most believe that floor twelve is an endless, gator-infested mire that extends to the edge of the floating castle in every direction.  It was for this reason that Freyd immediately saw it as the perfect place to hide things.  No one would ever spend time scouring a samp like this,  Right?  Wrong.  A Whisper would, convincing himself that there might be something ellicit or clandestine going on in those boggy depths.  Two days had passed while he traversed the waterlogged landscape, searching for... anything really.  The native wildlife had foolishly tested his mettle, including a dungeon boss or two whose lairs he'd stumbled into.  Nothing glitchy like that business with Katoka that still bothered, but his eyes were keen and wary.  

Nearing the northwest corner of the floor, just beyond the dreg of a village calling itself Dayurga, he noticed something odd.  The usually stagnant waters of the mire were moving.  Not by much, but there was definitely a modest current creating flow in the waters.  It was the first such sign he'd ever seen in all his travels here, and so chose to follow.  Traveling by tree boughs more often than not, the eddies led him onward until even the dour skies seemed to lighten.  A cliff wall blocked his path within a mile of the village, moss-covered and too slick to climb.  He'd initially dismissed it as part of the floor's limits.  Now, closer up, he could hear and see the passage of water into the swamp.  Several small waterfalls wove their way through the thick foliage, providing an unorthodox trail.  

"Guess, I'm going up?"  The climb was treacherous, vegetation caking every slick surface to make it even less stable.  Wherever this led really wasn't made to be found.  Instincts tingled at the prospect.  Rather than reaching to the top of the cliffs, the water emerged from a breach in the wall - a narrow cavern or canyon carve through the rock and barely wide enough for two people to walk abreast. 

"Persi.  Check it out.  If anything is in there, flush it out.  This would be a bad place to fight."  The slinky shadow unwound from his midriff and darted ahead.  When Freyd went in after her, he had no idea where it would lead.

To: @Katoka and @Elora

You two are never going to believe what I just found.  Meet me at these coordinates and bring your beach wear.  We've earned some down time and are having a picnic.  Don't mind the swamp.  I'm pretty sure the entire floor is actually here just to conceal this paradise and keep the locals out.

An image is attached to the message.

Spoiler

9 Art-Fantasy-Beaches ideas | fantasy, alien planet, beach wallpaper

Freyd consumes:

Gugnir’s Shard (Untradeable/Unique/Reusable Consumable): Crème Brûlée Tray | ACC 2 | Feast (6/6) - takes 1 potion [filled] (rest shared with the party)
Liquor of Light (Potion) | Damage 3 | 183085-1

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 148/148 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 103 | EVA: 2 | ACC: 7 | BH: 62 | LD: 5 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8

Spoiler

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadow
Level: 32
Paragon Level: 119
HP: 1140/1140
EN: 148/148

Stats:
Damage: 23 (+3)
Mitigation: 103
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4+2+1
Battle Healing: 62
Loot Dice: 5
FLN: 16
HLY: 16
REC: 8

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride | T4 MA | FLN 2 | HLY 2
Armor: Fallen Angel Garb | T4 LA | MIT 2 | REC 2
Misc: Fight O'Er Flight | T4 Trinket | ACC 2 | EVA 2

Combat Mastery: Damage R3
Combat Shift: AOE
Familiar Skill: Grappling Familiar
Custom Skill:

Skills:
Martial Arts R5
Battle Healing R5
Light Armor R5
Searching R4
Charge
Energist
Quick Change
Extended Mod Limit
Extended Weight Limit
Fighting Spirit
Howl

Active Mods:
Night Vision
Tracking
Meticulous
Emergency Recovery

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Ferocity
Precision
Resolve
Reveal
Stamina
Focused Howl

Active Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Forgotten King’s Authority
Brawler

Inactive Extra Skills:
Meditation
Frozen Hide
Photosynthesize
Hiding R2

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+10% HP) x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+10% HP) x7
Crystal of Divine Light (Reusable) x1
Rhino's Horn (Reusable) x1
Hmr.Pk: The Thing Behind All Lies (T4 Demonic MA, AA, Blight, Static, Para.Ven (Off)) x1
EWL: Hope's Covenant - Resolve +4 (T4 Demonic Weapon (MA) - AA, Phase, Frostbite, VO) x1
EWL: Glow Stone x1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Practiced Angler: +2 Fishing EXP per attempt, addition +1 LD/CD to fishing attempts
Advanced Training: +10% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Tanos Statue: +25 Mitigation for a thread.

Wedding Ring:

Fishing: Level 4 | 461XP

Edited by Freyd

Assassin.(Okita.J..Souji)_full.2694890.thumb.png.0526bdc7d90a589d1a5201be30da1a43.png

Katoka had nearly fallen off the couch when she read Freyd's message. The picture alone was enough to send her running up to her wardrobe to rummage around for her swimsuit. With as much quest grinding as they had been doing, she hadn't had the time to brew up enough potions to bring along. Instead she opted to get there as quickly as possible, and that's exactly what she did. Running full sprint to the teleport gate and then racing as quickly as she could through the muck and mire to he coordinates that she had been sent.

When she finally arrived, Kat was breathing heavily, a beach bag over her shoulder as she nearly doubled over out of breath. "I--Made it-- Finally--Holy-- Hell-- Gorgeous!" she managed to wheeze before taking time to catch her breath. After a few minutes she had rested enough to really take the sights in. The hidden beach was every bit as breathtaking (pun not intended) as the picture had been. "Well, I'm going to find a spot to change since running all the way here in a swimsuit would have lead to me having to charge col to admission here. So if you'll excuse me."

The samurai managed to find a comically large rock that she could hide behind without much trouble. If didn't take her long to change since removing and putting clothing on in SAO was literally just a push of a button away. When she emerged she still had her sword equipped, but it was mostly out of habit. She would of course remove it when she entered the water later. "Well, I look forward to seeing your reaction to what Elora brings to wear." she gave him a sly smirk.

----

Katoka consumes:

Gugnir’s Shard (Untradeable/Unique/Reusable Consumable): Crème Brûlée Tray | ACC 2 | Feast (5/6) - takes 1 potion [filled]

Katoka | HP: 720/720 | EN: 106/106 | DMG: 23 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 8 | BH: 31 | AA | BLGT: 32 | P.V.O | REC: 8 | STK: 40

Spoiler

Katoka, The Cerulean Storm
Paragon Level: 13
HP: 720/720
EN: 106/106

Stats:
Damage: 23
Mitigation: 78
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 5+3=8
Battle Healing: 31
AA
BLGT: 32
P.V.O
STK: 40

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Raijin's Corruption | T4/Demonic/Katana | Abs.Acc, Blight, Para.Ven (off), Static
Armor: Oni Haori | T4/Demonic/Light Armor | MIT 2, REC 2
Misc: Aquamarine | T4 Demonic Trinket | ACC III, EVA I

Combat Mastery: Damage R3
Combat Shift: ST
Familiar Skill: Rending Familiar
Custom Skill:

Skills:
Battle Healing R4
Katana R5
Light Armor R5
Energist

Active Mods:
Meticulous
Vengeful Riposte

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Ferocity
Stamina
Resolve
Precision

Active Extra Skills:
Survival
Concentration
Parry
Forgotten King’s Authority

Inactive Extra Skills:

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleportation Crystal x5
Starter Healing Potion x2

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Basic Training: +5% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

-: Level 0 | 0XP                                     

Edited by Katoka

360918933_EloraSwimsuit.thumb.png.4f2fa7f59eebc2768fe47cb5b941341d.pngAn exceptionally-determined hop was just what the elven player had needed to interlace her fingers between the fibrous netting of a looming mangrove. Dangling mere feet above the ground, Elora swung her legs until the moss finally ripped free from its host. She quickly plunged into the murky slosh below. With a panicked crawl, she was back onto moist land. "All this for a stupid ingredient -- you better cure BURN, you glorified vine!", she spat as she rose to her feet. A timely alert called attention to her interface. Eyes sparkled as she swooned at the scenery before her. Here? No way -- he's totally messing with us. Well, jokes on him, I'm already ON Floor 12!, she snickered at the thought, The pin says he's close by, so this should be an easy hike. Elora spared a moment to scan the misty mire around her, I wonder -- maybe he was that alligator I thought I heard earlier...Regarding herself, she let out a sigh, Eh, whatever. I look pretty nasty, so might as well change out now. A passing thought reaffirmed that decision. Yeaaah, if this place really does exist, I probably shouldn't hold off to change directly in front of him. Kat might get there before me, and besides, I don't think we're on that base yet.

After a slough of gestures, she was out of her soiled adventure's gear and into the synched fit of a complicated one-piece, tankini? She'd never bother with such a contraption in the real world. Swimming was meant to be done in its simplicity -- everything on, or nothing on. It was just so much easier that way. Hooking her thumbs beneath the straps, she slid each around until it adjusted into a snug, yet flattering hold. That'll have to do. She could have sworn that the skimpier the attire became in SAO, the larger her breasts appeared. It lead her to wonder whether male clothing faced a similar dilemma. Banishing the ensuing imagery from her mind, Elora was on her way to the rendezvous point.

Mistakes had been made. The coordinates that had been shared with her were remarkably deceptive. Sure, they were nearby, just at the exact top of a sheer, impassible, vertical incline. Who needed a vacation when she could just scale Mount Fucking Everest itself to take a load off? Boy, if she had any energy left by the end of this climb, she swore she would ring his neck. We've earned some 'down time'? Who is he to decide?, she found her frustrations spiraling with each slipping foothold. Admittedly, it was all a bit contrived. Ever since they'd met, Elora was sure that Freyd had been stronger than her. Still, there were many times where she had felt she was his equal. Especially now that her and Kat were Frontliners, was all this team captain stuff really so necessary? Finally, hauling herself over a sizeable outcropping, she spared a few seconds to rest. Even Kat now -- she's becoming stronger than me...am I just...not able to keep up...? A dull thrum through her chest told her it was time to move on.

A sharp inhalation sucked in enough of her ethereal gut to sidle through the crack in the rockface. Elora temporarily relaxed in the cool air, then recoiled at the sound something slithering off to her side. Before she knew it, she had bolted, then slipped out into the rays of seaside sunlight. The air around her swirled into a muggy, salty stew. Dry lips lapped sprays of ocean waves, carried by an ever-present tropical breeze.

Distinguishing dots on the rippling horizon as her dearest friends, Elora made haste to meet them. Freyd -- was he not -- even wearing a swimsuit?! Don't tell me -- there's no way he just swims in that?!, a nagging voice argued to recall, "Everything or nothing"

She turned a pouting gaze toward Kat. What a sight for sore eyes! Her adorable blonde friend was wearing the cutest, most flattering swimsuit imaginable. "KAT!", she squealed with uncharacteristic adoration, "Oh my gosh! Your swimsuit is so cute! Where did you get it? Was it custom made?" This must be what having close female friends was like.

Elora | HP: 700/700 | EN: 104/104 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 98 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 8 | BH: 35 | LD: 3 | AA | BLGT: 32 | FLN: 8 | REC: 8 | STK: 40

Spoiler

Elora
Paragon Level: 6
HP: 700/700
EN: 104/104

Stats:
Damage: 26
Mitigation: 98
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 8
Battle Healing: 35
Loot Dice: 3
AA
BLGT: 32
FLN: 8
STK: 40

Equipped Gear: Teleportation Crystal x1

Weapon: Essential Verdigris (T4 Dem Polearm | AA | Blgt | FLN | STK)

Armor: Defense Mechanism | T4 Demonic Light Armor | MIT 2, REC 2

Misc: Emerald | T4 Demonic Trinket | ACC III, EVA I 

---

Custom Skill:

Skills:
Polearm R5
Light Armor R5
Battle Healing R5
Charge
Energist
Searching R3

Active Mods:
Meticulous

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Stamina
Precision
Focus
Resolve

Active Extra Skills:
Concentration

Inactive Extra Skills:

Battle Ready Inventory:

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Edited by Elora

00505-1564989207.jpeg.38365153c0c1397784922e722f28dc9d.jpegHaving thoroughly surveyed the surrounding area and ensured that no mobs would spoil their fun, Freyd finally allowed himself to take a breather and relax.  Laying out a blanket and foodstuffs he'd been dragging around since Freya's given his spoopy attitude a kick in the pants, he soon set out a spread of assorted fruits, spreads, cheeses and crackers.  'Nibbleables,' as his mother used to call them.  Adding few canteens of water and some juices he'd picked up from vendors near Marv's post in the Town of Beginnings, they were placed on ice brought directly from Snowfrost.  Fortunately is stayed frozen in his inventory for just such an occasion, though he knew it wouldn't last long in the heat of the blazing sun.  He even kept a small array of snowballs in reserve, in the same fashion, in case they were ever needed. 

Freyd was in the middle of suckling a strawberry when Katoka showed up, its nectar dribbling down his chin as the bubbly samurai made her characteristically energetic entrance.  Though he rarely said it, Freyd appreciated that aura of optimism about her and greeted her with a hearty and welcoming smile.  She was already around the corner getting changed before he could even get a word in, wiping his face on the back of sleeve and trying not to trigger his weapon to accidentally disintegrate any parts of himself.  It reminded him that he should don appropriate beach wear himself.

"Whoa!  Hey!  Looking good, Kat!"  So accustomed was he to seeing her in the standard blue nagagi and haori, it came as a bit of a shock to find her baring beachwear that was so much more revealing.  "Sam's a lucky lady!"  A playful wink followed a gesture towards the food, urging her to help herself.  "I just hope Elora makes it.  This place is a bit of a slog to find and access."

Having already shed his own familiar getup while Kat was changing round the bend, he'd naturally kept to his default shade on the pretext that it matched his hair.  Never one for fashion, he'd had to re-purpose some old workout clothes for the impromptu occasion, hoping they would suit his needs.  Freyd was just tying the strings at his waist when he heard the next arrival.

"KAT!", came the sudden squeal of uncharacteristic adoration, "Oh my gosh! Your swimsuit is so cute! Where did you get it? Was it custom made?" 

"Oh, hey Elora!  You made it just in...  Wow."  She had blossomed so much since their first meeting; a rose indeed. Every time they met, of late, he was stricken by the surreal beauty about the woman, somehow made bare by a bit of boosted confidence and the growing sense of affection between them.  Part of him immediately wished that he'd had foresight enough to invite her alone, but his was an outing to be shared among friends.  Let the ladies do their thing and all of us just have some fun without all the doom and gloom, he chided to himself.  We've all earned this break.  

"You both look amazing!" A blush flashed over his features, Takeshi never having been accustomed to such attractive companionship in his life.  "And... thank you both for coming.  It really seemed like we could all use a breather.  Let's just enjoy it and take it easy for awhile."

"Elora!" she ran up to her elven friend and plopped her hands on her shoulders, "Your suit is so damn cute. Oh. My. God." she wrapped her in a hug laughing. "As for my suit I found this old thing at a shop ages ago and grabbed it. Thought it might come in handy some day."

Katoka felt excited now. She had been before of course, but now that they were all here and enjoying the sun, it was a perfect moment. "Core memory unlocked." she said to herself. Looking to Freyd she was surprised to see him in so little clothing. Smirking she aimed a playful jab, "Careful, you might blind someone there pale boy."

The samurai sat down on the blanket her companion had laid out and took a look at the food he had brought. Her stomach growled audibly and she chuckled just before beginning to grab various bits to sate her appetite. The fact that such a beautiful little area was here on the floor known for it's mud and muck and grime had surprised Katoka, though she wasn't complaining. After all, who would complain when seeing one of you cute friends was in an adorable one piece.

"So, how did you manage to find a place like this Freyd?" Kat asked between mouthfuls, "Another once of you many grinding adventures I assume?"

• 3 weeks later...

Elora laughed nervously from their adoration, sand spilling between her toes as she awkwardly shifted her weight from side to side. Her attire was, admittedly, outside of her comfort zone, but she did her best to wear it with confidence. 

"Let's just enjoy it and take it easy for awhile."

"Don't have to tell me twice!", she proclaimed before plopping onto the checkered picnic blanket. Quickly helping herself to the appetizing assortment of snacks, Elora spared a moment to fully inspect Freyd's features. His muscles were so much larger than before, though still flattering for his more slender frame. Unlike so many of the other male players, Freyd seemed more subversive in his appearance. Under his disheveled cowl and worn-down tracksuit was a formidable strength.

Her cracker crumbled in her hands.

"Ah, shit --", she muttered as her fingers scrambled to collect the ejected slices of cheese. By now, parts of the biscuit had been crushed to the size of sand. "Come on, sit down!", she invited before dusting away the crumbs. "Have either of you been in the water yet? It looks so warm --" She sat up and shaded her eyes to look out at the ocean, "In Ireland, the sea is always cold, so I didn't swim often."

Edited by Elora

free-haruka-nanase-fanart-560x463.png.26ccd306ea3968e0121c959de4d443c7.png"So, how did you manage to find a place like this Freyd?" Kat asked between mouthfuls, "Another once of you many grinding adventures I assume?"

"I make it a point to get to know all the nooks and crannies of the floors we unlock - all the secrets and hidey-holes.  There are always more to be found.  This?"  He waved his hand towards the incoming surf.  "This was one of the most pleasant surprises I've yet to find, and one that needed to be shared."  Uncharacteristic serenity found the Whisper in that moment, his features actually relaxing for once to take in the scenery as well as the company.  Gaze set upon the three of them gathered in such a paradise, it took him a moment to even realize he was holding his breath. 

"I wanted to thank you both."  His natural intensity compelled him to look them in the eye as he spoke, though their edges were softened by the rarest of smiles.  "Recent days have been challenging, for all of us.  The raid also took its toll, and its aftermath."  That last bit was meant for Katoka, who'd seen more of his personal struggles than most.  Their source and hope was sitting next to both of them.  Only the blonde knew the true toll he was paying while struggling to maintain an impossible balance.  'Not right now,' he told himself, committing himself to just enjoying the moment.

"Have either of you been in the water yet? It looks so warm --"

Turning to watch sun gleam off the crashing waves, Freyd wanted to find out.

"Your friendship means everything to me."

Plainly put.  There was no better way to make it poignant, though he struggled with the lump that rose in his throat while speaking the words.  Too much sentiment all at once was the hardest.  Might as well drown it in fun, for a change.  Sand sprayed all over the blanket as he sprung up and sprinted for the water, diving for the depth for the sake of sheer abandon.  For right now, Freyd just wanted to feel and not to think.

Edited by Freyd

Kat looked from the water where Freyd had jumped in and back to Elora and back again. "Did he really just drop the sweet and mushy 'I love you homies' on us and then run away?" she laughed and gave her green haired friend a radiant smile, "He's a dork, but I wouldn't have it any other way. See you in the water?"

She didn't give Elora much time to respond to her, instead she used her ridiculous in-game speed to race to the ocean. She sand kicking up behind her and her first few steps out onto the water making it seem like she could nearly walk on it before she sank down with an almost explosion like blast of sea water. She she reemerged from the shimmering blue water she took a huge gulp of air and cried out in excitement, the water was the perfect temperature to swim. Not too hot, not too cold.

"Let's go girl!" she called to Elora waving, "Get those cheeks out here!"

Turning to Freyd she gave him a sly grin, "How far do you think we can run on water before gravity catches up to us?"

Elora shook her head in befuddlement, "Guess so -- he just gets that way sometimes." A smile between bites of fruit suggested that she didn't mind the sentiment, nor his discomfort with transparency.

"He's a dork, but I wouldn't have it any other way. See you in the water?"

"Totally", she finally added, "Just don't get a cramp --" Elora stopped herself after remembering they didn't need to worry about such things here. Who even gets cramps, anyway? I've never had one from swimming after eating. Must be some sort of parental conspiracy. By the time she'd reached the end of that thought train, her friend had long since sprinted down the beach like a goddamn ninja. Katoka really had a way of making flamboyant performances feel perfectly her.

"Let's go girl! Get those cheeks out here!", she quickly called out.

An unnecessary and sloppy attempt to cover the foods was all that separated her from the shoreline. After a cautious stroll to the undulating seam of seafoam, Elora anchored her heels to be lapped by the cool water. This was the perfect invitation to relax. With an awkward shuffle forward, she allowed her ankles, then her calves, and finally, her stomach to sink below the surface of the waves. "That wasn't so bad", she commented from beneath her breath before remarking, "I feel like getting in is always the hardest part."

From where she was standing, it was easy to become mesmerized by the way sunlight seemed to shimmer and reflect off of a limitless number of invisible edges. By now, the nuclear orb had already begun its steady decent toward the horizon. I bet this will look absolutely magical at eventide.

Edited by Elora
  • 4 weeks later...

"How far do you think we can run on water before gravity catches up to us?"

"I swear that you could make it to the far shore with those crazy Flintstone feet of yours!"  Freyd had hardly caught Katoka's words, having only just re-surfaced.  The water was crystal clear and surprisingly warm given the climate of the rest of the floor.  It truly was a perfect little oasis tucked away beyond the mired edges of a world too often marred by strife.  Those thoughts were dismissed instantly.  Dreary, dour sentiments clouded in darkness and negativity didn't belong in this place or this moment.  Let yourself be happy, for a change... dork.  Recalling his friends' description only made him smile and laugh even more.   They were right, and he was okay with it.

"Come on in, Elora!  The sun will set before you get your shoulders wet, at this rate." Splashing scintillating spray her way, he swam back in her direction suddenly realizing that he'd never actually checked to see if she could swim.  Growing up on the coast, it came naturally to him in his youth, but the cold and rocky shores of Ireland seemed far less likely to encourage the same.  "Are you alright in the water?  I should have asked first," he added sheepishly, closing the distance between them with a few easy strokes.  Katoka was still acting like the road-runner in the distance, likely scaring the scales of any poor fish unfortunate enough to get caught in her path.  "I'll never let her live it down if she trips on a whale or something," he added, grinning widely.

"I feel like getting in is always the hardest part."

"Best to just dive in and get over it all in one go.  This is actually surprisingly warm.  Makes me wonder whether there are any thermal springs in the area that could explain it all.  I thought I saw some coral reefs farther out.  Should we go check?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Right. Ready, set--" Katoka was standing on one side of the shore in a running starter position, a grin plastered on her face as she eyed the opposite shore. "Go!"

The ball of her foot dug into the sand as she pressed all of her weight into her right leg, a sizable crater appearing beneath her before she disappeared in a blur of motion. The only visible trace of her was the spray of water that railed behind her body as she rocketed across the ocean. She felt confident hat this time she could make it to the other side, but that confidence quickly left her as she crashed into the waves, sending an explosion of water high enough in the sky that it rained back down on her friends as if there was a passing shower.

The samurai emerged from the sea with a gasp of air and smacked the water in frustration, "Damn! I felt like I had that one!"

She looked over to Elora and Freyd, a small knowing smile pulling at the corners of her mouth. "I'll let them have a few more moments before I race over and water bomb them." She dove into water and swam the rest of the way to the opposite shore in order to try one more time.

A call of encouragement warranted another step forward as Elora pretended to be taking her sweet time with swimming out to sea. "I'm just -- adjusting to the temperature." It was a pretty flimsy excuse, given that this world had a way of moderating one's exposure to any uncomfortable element. Luckily, you could always rely on the mind to reinforce years-long aversions to anything it deemed 'uncomfortable'.

"Are you alright in the water?", Freyd seemed to be catching on, "I should have asked first."

"Best to just dive in and get over it all in one go...", he offered as a suggestion.

"AH, No -- I'm -- I'm not actually...the best at swimming", she admitted with elbows frozen above the water's surface, "But I can just start some sort of swimming sequence, right? They couldn't possibly expect every player to know how to -- what if I grew up in the desert, or the arctic circle, or something?" Even they can have swimming pools., she reminded herself.

Her sights turned upward to follow where he was looking, both in the direction where Katoka was suiciding, and vaguely toward the horizon. For a split second, Elora thought she could make out the shape of something bobbing out there. The thermal vents? A geyser of water rocketed into the sky, sending a shower of sea spray over the shore. Elora squealed and shielded her head as if the water displacement alone would be enough to send her straight to Davy Jones's locker. "Oh --", she quickly realized her overreaction as curses from her friend could be heard over the sound of the resulting waves.

As the droplets disintegrated from a veil into a fine haze, she could finally distinguish...

"Boats!" Her hand motioned toward a small fleet of fishing vessels not much further the the opposing shoreline. "A boat would do.", Elora excitedly confirmed to Freyd, "I -- we could take a boat out to the coral reefs." A smile seemed to return the understanding.

"KAT!", she proceeded to holler through cupped hands, "SEE ANYTHING OVER THERE? A DOCK OR A BOAT THAT WE COULD BORROW?!"

Edited by Elora

"You grew up on an island.  A cold, wet, miserable island that serves as the shield wall for trade winds, mind you."  A goofy and dismissive grin graced his soaking features as he undermined his own initial point.  "I doubt we'll find any boats up here.  We're nowhere near the settlements on the floor.  And if we did, it would mean that someone or something else lives up here."  Gazing at the surrounding shoreline, just in case, Freyd found no signs of any manmade constructs or habitation.  It was the third time he'd looked, instincts having already kicked in to double-check before stripping to his skivvies.  

A miniature tsunami settled the matter as Katoka's lightning wake washed over them both and drenched them entirely.  Freyd laughed even as he moved to make sure Elora would be fine, fishing her soaking seaweed mop from beneath the surface and pulling her up into his embrace.  "You're fine!  Perfectly fine," he reassured, chest still rumbling with chuckles.  Better not to make too big a deal about it, lest her penchant from panic trigger any further.  "Maybe we could build a raft of something we could just push along?  It shouldn't take too long to cobble together, and Katoka would still get to feel like she's walking on water without drowning you in the process."

A bit of blonde bobbed suspiciously from the water, where the lightning streak had faltered, no doubt planning its next bound of mischief.  Freyd whistled sharply and watched it turn his way.  

"Think we could chop a few of those down?" He waved towards a few palm trees near their picnic.  Vines from the nearby jungle should be serviceable as rope and they could easily find a few bamboo shoots to serve as poles and oars.

A sharp whistle pulled the samurai's attention towards the shore once again. She dove under the water and swam in the direction of her companions, feeling happy that her parents had forced her out of the house at various points of her life to make her go swimming. If she hadn't been too focused on games she probably would have joined the swim club in school.

"Think we could chop a few of those down?" Freyd asked, gesturing towards some trees on the shore.

"We building a raft or something?" Kat asked looking quizzically at the trees and then back to her friends. "I'm sure we can rig something together for sure."

Katoka returned to the shore and equipped her katana as she approached the palms to inspect them. She was certain she could fell them with little effort, especially with a well aimed sword art. "How many do you think we need?" she called as she drew her weapon and charged an attack. The small cluster that was near their picnic wouldn't be enough for a full raft but it would be a start. With a flash of blue light the four trees in front of her fell to the sandy ground with a few loud thuds.

Elora narrowed her eyes at Freyd, before reexamining the edges of the sea. By now, the sun had leaped ahead in its setting sequence, casting a blinding glare across the surface of the water. It would be impossible to confirm what she had seen. "I guess if you insist there aren't any boats, then a raft would be the only feasible option." Elora took a moment to inspect their surroundings as Freyd focused on getting Katoka's attention. She began by sending the picnicking snacks into her own inventory. If fortune would have it, Freyd would believe that her and Katoka had finished off the delectable selection all on their own. I'll have to split the bounty with Kat later., she mused to herself.

"We building a raft or something?", said their blonde friend, her small form now faintly silhouetted before the changing sky.

"Probably more like the 'something' by the time we're through with it.", she quipped. Without a particular crafting skill, she couldn't imagine the hodgepodge endeavor giving rise to anything substantial. Scenes of their sea-faring vessel disassembling into a hundred sticks the moment they intersected with choppy water made a shiver of fear spike up her spine.

"How many do you think we need?"

"Enough to float --", croaked Elora, her mind doing its best to shake its self-inflicted doom-scenarios. "I think we're also gonna need to find or make some rope.", after a second's pause she added, "Oars also wouldn't be a bad idea."

Ripping, tearing and snapping sounds broke the pristine serenity of the space as something rummaged through the underbrush, felling several shoots and dangly bits from trees just beyond sight.  Freyd emerged a moment later, his arms filled to the brim with chopped bamboo shoots and slithering lengths of vine at least one of which was actually a snake. 

"Here," he added, matter-of-factly, handing Elora one of the longer poles to hold while casually plucking the serpent wound around it and tossing it back into the brush.  The tiny beast flailed helplessly as it sailed through the air, indignant that its fierce, predatory mien had been so utterly and casually ignored.  "These vines should be solid enough to lash everything together.  If you cut those in half again, Kat, we can get a squarer platform that should be easier to manage."  Instantly hard at work implementing some spontaneous, hair-brained scheme, something glimmered in the Whisper's eye at the prospect of actually pulling off this manifest madness.  "If only Burlock could see us now," he cackled gleefully, arms snapping taunt and winding the jungle wire in a motion not unlike donning his own hand wraps.  Wrangling a crosspiece to one end of each pole turned each into a viable oar, as Elora had wished.

"Ha!  There!  Now, come on, let's get this out into open water and go check out that reef while we still have some warmth and daylight.  Sunset on coral should look incredible!"

Katoka smiled at Elora's joke, "I'm thinking of a nice house boat. Something with a main room with a sectioned off bit to sleep in. Preferably a nice wrap around covered porch."

She took Freyd's instruction and severed the felled trees in order to double the surface area of their soon to be raft. She lined them up the best she could before taking a few of the vines that were gathered and began to braid them into a rope like fashion. "I'd rather be safe than sorry, this should help strengthen them a bit more." She lashed the logs together with Freyd and Elora's help and stood back to observe their work. It wasn't bad considering the lot of them, at least to her knowledge, had never built a sea fairing vessel before.

"Not too bad for a bunch or nerds huh?" she grinned and bent down to start pushing the raft into the water, "Let's get her on the waves land lubbers!"

Edited by Katoka

Elora backpedaled away from Freyd the closer he came. "AIN'T NO WAY! Get it off!!", she shrieked, her eyes adamantly avoiding contact with the emerald-colored danger noodle. She swore she'd got a glimpse both of her friends' mischievous grins before Freyd nonchalantly tugged on the serpent and tossed it back toward the jungle. With a sigh of relief, she accepted the pole and set to assembling their vessel. First a tsunami, then the snake, how else will the universe torment me today? Elora shuddered at the thought of encountering a ravenous herd of ocean-side stallions. At least those don't actually exist., she reassured herself with some success.

It was impressive to watch Katoka and Freyd chop, braid, arrange, and wrap together the disparate materials. "Damn,", she commented, "Didn't realize you both made such good survivalists." Looking around, Elora tried to find a way she could be of any use. "Oh --, what if we...?", came a quiet remark. Holding up their sandy picnic blanket caused it to billow gently in the steady breeze. Wincing as it sprayed grains of sand into her eyes, she suggested, "We could fashion this into a sail!" She wasn't even sure that rafts came with sails. Still, it seemed like a feasible purpose for the patchwork fabric.

Freyd was genuinely flummoxed as Elora handed him a would-be sail, uncertain as to how they'd make a mast upon which to affix it.  The plan had been 'slab', not so much 'sailboat', but she'd made the effort and he didn't want her to be disappointed.  

"Erm... right!"  Grabbing a flexible shoot from a slimmer, younger tree, he lashed it to the raft's base and slung it into a curve, tying off to two far corners for stability.  Maybe it would work.  Big maybe.  But it would look like it was supposed to work, and that should be enough.  "Thanks!  Here.  Let's tie it off at the corners like a trifold sail."  He had no idea if that was really a thing and just ran with it.  Grabbing the raft's edge, he lifted and pushed hard, straining to get it off the beach.  

"Quick!  Climb on!  We'll have to work together to get it through the waves and away from the shore.  I'll hop in once we're clear."  Remaining in the surf, he helped them work their way clear and out to open water, pulling himself aboard once his feet could no longer touch the bottom.  "That way, I think," he pointed to where he'd seen the coral reef.  It was like paddling through pure rainbow as the sun dipped lower and shifted like it passed into a prism.  The sea turned yellow, slowly turning towards pink as they neared their destination.

"Huh.  Wow.  Will you look at that."  Actual wonder tinged the usually dour man's voice, appreciating the splendor laid out before them, though both might have caught his gaze drifting to the beautiful ladies - his friends - standing by his side.

• 2 weeks later...

Standing confidently with her hands on her hips, Katoka looked across the ocean as the three of them began to sail across the waves. She was impressed that they had managed to fashion something as sea worthy as their raft had been, she had a sneaking suspicion that the system would have found a way to intervein in some way. Though now that the thought had crossed her mind she frowned a bit, there was always time for something to happen to them. She quickly began to look over the logs and the knots they had made just to be sure.

Turning to her friends as she picked up one of the improvised oars she started giving orders, "Elora, keep an eye on the raft. Let us know if anything begins to degrade or come loose. Freyd, grab the other oar and help me steer a bit. The sail will only get us so far."

While the samurai had never captained a boat, let alone sailed one, her brain went into analyze mode and felt the need to keep things in order. "I'm not sure how well the raft will fair in any water that's rough, so let's stay vigilant."