[F1-Shop] Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research [Currently Closed]

Azide promptly yet meticulously prepared his usual six trials with a deftness reflected a deep familiarity with these rituals. Before long, he'd prepped the entire workstation. All of the appropriate glassware was positioned as it should be, while all of the materials and reagents were ready to go. One by one, he added each powder to the liquid already sitting inside every beaker. The powders were all ingredients he'd dried and ground up, just waiting to react to something else and crystalize for him. "Or at lease, that's how I'd like it to be."

In any case, his experiments resulted in a crystallization rate on the lower side of the scale, sitting at a measly 50%. Two of the beakers had resulted in simple potions, while one had gone clouded altogether. He removed the three crystals, setting them onto his shelf of successes. "But I'm feeling prepared to run another before the day's over," he mumbled to himself. He set up one last trial, and smiled as he pulled out the resulting product. "I'll be needing a fair amount of these," he thought, holding the deep blue crystal he'd synthesized.

ID: 11021

CD: 9 (+1) = 10 (Rare)

-1 Mat

+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

Name: Health Crystal

Type: Crystal

Quality: Rare

Effects: Instantly heals 10 HP.

Description: A higher quality healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research.

ID: 11022

CD: 8 (+1) = 9 (Uncommon)

-1 Mat

+3 (+1) = +4 Exp

Name: Minor Health Crystal

Quality: Uncommon

Effects: Instantly heals 5 HP.

Description: A basic healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research.

ID: 11023

CD: 3 (+1) = 4 (Bad)

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

ID: 11024

-1 Mat

+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

Description: A higher quality healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research.

ID: 11025

CD: 5 (+1) = 6 (Good)

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

Name: Potion of Positive Thinking

Type: Potion

Quality: Good

Effects: The placebo effect.

Description: This totally isn't Aincrad's equivalent of a sugar pill- nope. Take this and you can do whatever you set your mind to. (Citation needed.)

ID: 11026

-1 mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

Description: This totally isn't Aincrad's equivalent of a sugar pill- nope. Take this and you can do whatever you set your mind to. (Citation needed.)

ID: 11028

CD: 11 (+1) = 12 (Perfect)

-1 Mat

+8 (+1) = +9 Exp

Name: Wächter Crystal

Quality: Perfect

Effects: Instantly grants +2 Damage Mitigation for the duration of one battle.

Description: A deep blue crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research. In both effects and aesthetics, it represents a departure from the lab's usual products.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He unlocked the front door of his shop, then entered the ever pristine and sterile Navarre Laboratory. "Just as clean as I left it," he thought, admiring the spotlessness of the place. "There's no home like a good and orderly laboratory." He made his way over to the beaker he'd set aside earlier, containing a murky solution. He removed the film that'd been placed over the open cavity, then pulled out a few materials stored in small jars and began adding what looked like pellets into the solution. He shook his head when the solution failed to react to the added catalysts. Accepting the slight set back, he poured the cloudy solution down the drain, then went to wash up.

ID: 11061

LD: 2 (Failed to salvage)

It was another day at the lab, though he never found himself growing tired of synthesizing the many crystals produced within the white room. "Even though crystallization seems to be somewhat up to luck within this game, there's something satisfying about producing a crystal. With the speed they activate at, they're so much more efficient than potions," he thought. He plucked out a crystal from one of the beakers in which he'd mixed his materials, followed by another. Before long, he'd removed five crystals from the seven containers, which he recognized as a particularly high yield. He nodded, content, then set the finished products on the shelf along with the others. "Good, good." With that, he cleaned up for the day, jotting down a few notes in his book before stowing it away.

ID: 11093

CD: 6 (+1) = 7 (Good)

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 11094

CD: 7 (+1) = 8 (Uncommon)

-1 Mat

+3 (+1) = +4 Exp

Description: A basic healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research.

ID: 11095

-1 Mat

+8 (+1) = +9 Exp

Name: Flawless Health Crystal

Effects: Instantly heals 15 HP.

Description: A flawless healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Arts.

ID: 11096

-1 Mat

+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

ID: 11097

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 11098

CD: 10 (+1) = 11 (Rare)

-1 Mat

+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

ID: 11099

-1 Mat

+3 (+1) = +4 Exp

"If I've ever seen a case of the good, the bad and the ugly, this has got to be it," thought Azide. If his last seven trials had been televised, this day just might've otherwise gone down in history as a national tragedy. "It's also important to mention that in this particular case, the good is also bad." He shook his head and tossed out the one potion that'd completely failed, then sealed the top of the one that'd clouded over. As for the rest, he poured them into vials and placed them on the rack with the others.

"Where'd I go wrong?" he wondered. He'd done the same mixing of powders and liquids as he'd always done, and yet not a single crystal greeted him from its beaker today. "Maybe I just need to take the rest of the day off," he thought. "I'd normally try to salvage that one potion, but I think I'll just push that back to tomorrow, for my best interest." He sighed and shook his head, then took his leave.

ID: 11305

CD: 2 (+1) = 3 (Fail)

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

ID: 11306

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 11307

CD: 3 (+1) = 4 (Bad)

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

ID: 11308

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 11309

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 11310

CD: 4 (+1) = 5 (Good)

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 11311

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

• 2 weeks later...

"God, it's been a while," said Azide. He sighed and opened the blinds so as to let light flow into the laboratory. The glassware was just the slightest bit dusty and he wiped down each and every last beaker, flask, vial and dowel he could get his hands on. "Thankfully, all of my reagents are sealed under normal circumstances," he thought, glancing at the many materials he had sitting in various drawers and cupboards. 

It'd been nearly two weeks since his last trial- he'd fallen in a rut of sorts with the monotony of alchemics. As powerful of a profession as it was, it was a cheap imitation of chemistry. All flash and no substance. "It's all a numbers game. Nothing more." He shook his head and found himself pining for the old days, surrounded by a world of infinite possibilities. Chemistry could build the universe- it already had. But alchemy? Nothing but cheap tricks.

He placed seven flasks onto the counter top and poured in various proportions of differently colored liquids- some colorless, before adding in the reserves of an assortment of ground powders he'd created in his more prolific days. His supplies were beginning to run out once again, but for now, this would do it. Azide stirred each solution with steady, practiced, movements. The mixtures were left to sit as he went into the back room to clean up, and when he'd come back, he'd discovered a measly three successful crystallizations of seven. "This isn't what I need just before a boss fight..." he muttered. He extracted the successes and poured the passable concoctions into vials before cleaning up.

ID: 12484

CD: 1 (+1) = 2 (Fail)
-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

ID: 12485

-1 Mat
+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 12486

-1 Mat

+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

Name: Health Crystal
Type: Crystal
Quality: Rare
Effects: Instantly heals 10 HP.
Description: A higher quality healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research.

ID: 12487

CD: 2 (+1) = 3 (Bad)

-1 Mat
+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

ID: 12488

CD: 12 (Perfect)
-1 Mat

+8 (+1) = +9 Exp

Name: Flawless Health Crystal
Quality: Perfect
Effects: Instantly heals 15 HP.
Description: A flawless healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Arts.

ID: 12489 
-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 12490
-1 Mat

+8 (+1) = +9 Exp

Name: Flawless Health Crystal
Quality: Perfect
Effects: Instantly heals 15 HP.
Description: A flawless healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research.

"God, I've really been slacking off lately," he thought, dusting off the tables yet again. "It's hard to stay motivated when all you have to show for is a slightly better luck over time. There's no real skill or experience being developed. It's all so artificial," he mused. But that was enough lamenting for now.

He set up his usual seven pieces of glassware, opting to use beakers this time around. After grinding away various substances into fine powders, he uncorked a few bottles of solution and poured them in measured amounts into the beakers before sliding the powders into each. After wiping off a glass dowel, he stirred each solution, being careful to wash the stick between every use. By the time he'd finished mixing the seventh, he was ready to check the results of the first, followed by the rest.

"Four crystals of seven, in all. Not bad- with three of them being higher quality. But I'm nearly out of materials now- the next session or two will really have to count if I'm to be maximally prepared for the coming battle."

ID: 12846

-1 Mat

+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

ID: 12847

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 12848

-1 Mat

+3 (+1) = +4 Exp

ID: 12849

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

ID: 12850

-1 Mat

+8 (+1) = +9 Exp

Name: Flawless Health Crystal

Effects: Instantly heals 15 HP.

Description: A flawless healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Arts.

ID: 12851

CD: 1 (+1) = 2 (Bad)

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

ID: 12852

-1 Mat

+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

"Down to my last few materials," thought Azide, peering into somewhat barren cupboards. "Better make this last batch count. Could be a while before I get more." He shook his head, missing the old days where boundless energy had kept his shelves stocked around the clock.

He slipped on his crafting gloves, then began the day's trials by grinding a bone fragment into a fine powder along with pieces of dried plant material, then separated it into seven equally-sized portions. He poured in a translucent liquid with a slight tint of cyan, then slipped the first of the powders into the beaker and gave it a stir.

Within the next minute or so, a crystal had formed in the aqueous solution. Using a pair of tongs to pluck his creation from its container, he held it up to his eye and nodded. "Not bad," he muttered, before setting it onto his shelf.

ID: 13214
-1 Mat
+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

Name: Health Crystal II
Item Type: Crystal
Effects: +2 HP Recovery
Description: A higher quality healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research. Instantly heals +10 HP.

"That leaves... six more to go. Only question is, how many of them will be of use?" It was a pointless game to try and guess- all of this crafting was roughly the equivalent of a roll of dice, and any 'experience' that one might gain as a result was only an illusion. Everything in this world, aside from its players, was determined by Kayaba's random number generator.

Azide added his next portion of powder into the next beaker, and poured in the same translucent liquid once again. He mixed it with a glass dowel, making sure that the small particles dissolved into the fluid completely. What resulted as yet another high quality crystal- though not quite perfect, but he was satisfied nonetheless.

ID: 13216
-1 Mat
+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

Name: Health Crystal II
Item Type: Crystal
Effects: +2 HP Recovery
Description: A higher quality healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research. Instantly heals +10 HP.

After repeating a similar list of motions with his third batch of materials, the result was at first a minor flame that'd burned away at the surface of the liquid, as if it'd turned to oil or lighter fluid. What followed was a minor explosion, but he'd managed to block the brunt of the shrapnel with the raised sleeve of his arm.

It'd only been a matter of time before such a result, and so he wasn't too affected by the inconvenience. Each crafting session was, in part, a game of Russian roulette.

ID: 13217

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

"Damn it," muttered Azide. He lowered his arms, which had been crossed over his face to shield from a second burst of shrapnel. It was a rare event for two in a row, needless to say. "In fact, I was more likely to get a perfect quality crystal than to experience two failures back to back." Such was the drawback of randomly generated results like these.

He shoved aside the broken bits of glass that remained and moved to the next set.

ID: 13219

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

"Damn it!" Azide blurted. It was rare for him to lose his temper around others, but in a private place like this, it was frustrating to think that he'd managed to fail three times in a row. "But that's not quite right either. It wasn't me who failed- it was the system who failed me. Three times in a row, I might add."

At least in the real world, his successes were in his own hands. Even if it was generally more difficult to accomplish things there, it was preferable to putting up with the idiocy of sheer randomness.

ID: 13220

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

A few deep breaths slowed his heartbeat just enough for a sense of calm to return to him. Everything would be fine, as long as he remained focused. Sure, nearly half of his remaining stock had just gone to hell in a few quick and jarring moments, but he could still salvage this.

He poured another portion of the ground powder into his next beaker and added to it the translucent liquid. With a few stirs, he let the solution swirl around in the glass until it eventually crystallized, to his delight. It wasn't anything to write home about in terms of quality, but it'd at least broken him from his unfortunate streak.

ID: 13221
-1 Mat
+3 (+1) = +4 Exp

Name: Health Crystal I
Effects: +1 HP Recovery
Description: A basic healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research. Instantly heals 5 HP.

The final mixture had turned clouded as he stirred it gently with his glass rod. Azide sighed and removed the stick, then tapped it against a nearby towel to dry. Things hadn't gone exactly the way he'd wanted them to today, but he'd managed to create the last two rare-quality crystals he'd been after. There was no surplus, but there was at least a sense of completion.

As he placed the crystal on his shelf, he cleaned up the rest of the mess that'd been left by his earlier string of failures. "On the bright side, anything I successfully create from here on out will only be the icing on the cake. My quota's been filled, for the time being."

All there was left to do was to await the arrival of Crozeph and Rebekah, to whom he'd distribute his prepared supplies. No one was to die in the coming raid. Not on his watch, at least.

ID: 13222

CD: 2 (+1) = 3 (Bad)

-1 Mat

+1 (+1) = +2 Exp

After searching forever, the grey-haired boy finally found the place called 'Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research'. Breathing a sigh of relief, Zeri had nevoursly walked into the shop looked around in awe of what he had to saw. After a few minutes of looking around, He finally made his way to the front desk and said, "H-Hey boss! It's me Zeri! If-if you don't mind, may I borrow the 'Touch of Immortality' for a little please." After he finished that sentence, he looked around some more while he waited for Azide's response.

He looked up, fully expecting to be greeted with the sight of either Crozeph or Rebekah, but was surprised to see that it was another player who'd entered his lab. "Sorry, the shop is clo-" he began to say, before cutting himself off. This player wasn't just any player- he wore the iconic green square next to his health bar. "Sorry," he said with a laugh, "got a little ahead of myself there."

Azide raised himself from his chair and walked up to the male, who'd introduced himself as Zeri. He looked Zeri up and down and smiled a disarming smile, that reflected the many hours of practice that'd gone into it. "Just call me Azide," he said, extending an arm forward. "It's more than a pleasure to meet you, Zeri. Boss makes me sound like a guy in a suit, ready to fire you at the drop of a pin- hardly a fitting title for me, don't you think?"

His ears perked up at his guild mate's next question. He scratched his head, and his eyes found the corner of the room. "To be honest, sometimes I forget we even have a guild storage. I think we've only ever had a single person claim anything from it it." Eyes as brown as ground coffee returned to the man in front of them. "But of course you can have it- I just have to warn you, you might have to break them in before they fit you comfortably." He gave a wry glance, then had the item transferred to the boy's possession.

((What this means is that you're going to have to submit the item to the re-evaluation thread, which is located in the Evaluations forum. You'll have to get there by visiting the Journals forum. If you have any questions, PM me!))

"Still no sign of Crozeph or Rebekah" he thought, peering through the windows of his shop. The day of the raid was rapidly approaching, and soon it would be time for them to meet up with the others. "Then I suppose I'll be able to truly call myself a front-liner," he mused.

But in the meantime, there were materials in need of crafting. He gathered his beakers together and lined them up, then filled the first with the contents of one of the two larger beakers he'd set onto the counter. Following that, he poured a bit of powder he'd ground during a stretch of downtime, and added it to the second of the large beakers. After stirring it together, he poured a specific amount of of this new liquid into the first beaker, then stirred the solution together until it crystallized.

He leaned down and peeked at the crystal through the side of the beaker. "Not bad, but could be better," he mumbled, tapping against the glass.

ID: 13294
-1 Mat
+3 (+1) = +4 Exp

Name: Health Crystal I
Quality: Uncommon
Effects: +1 HP Recovery
Description: A basic healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research. Instantly heals 5 HP.

He was off to a decent start- but how would he fare with the six that followed? It was all a matter of luck, and he was never quite the best judge of chance. His mind dealt in probabilities- but only in the sense that he was vaguely aware of his odds of success or failure. Anything more was just wishful thinking.

Azide poured both of the liquids into the next beaker he'd set aside, and after giving it a gentle stir, he pulled the dowel from the delicate container and wiped it clean. As he did so, the aqueous solution precipitated yet another crystal. He nodded and plucked the crystal from the liquid and inspected it with a careful eye. "Perfect..."

ID: 13299
-1 Mat
+8 (+1) = +9 Exp

Name: Health Crystal III
Effects: +3 HP Recovery
Description: A flawless healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research. Instantly heals +15 HP.

He almost couldn't believe it when he held the beaker from the table. "Another crystal? And a high quality one, at that..." More than anything, he was simply thinking out loud. It'd been quite a while since he'd had a streak of luck like that- it seemed as if lately, his crafting was more along the lines of scraping by.

Azide plucked his creation from the beaker and wiped it off gently before setting it onto the shelf with the rest of the bunch. Despite the good fortune he was currently experiencing, he knew it'd be foolish to get too excited about his prospects. "Luck is just taking statistics personally," he recalled.

ID: 13302
-1 Mat
+5 (+1) = +6 Exp

Description: A higher quality healing crystal synthesized at the Navarre Lab of Alchemic Research. Instantly heals +10 HP.

He filled his fourth beaker of the day with the solutions from both beakers, then left them to mingle for a bit after stirring vigorously. When he came back shortly after, he discovered that his mixture had failed to crystallize. It wasn't bad, per say- but it was disappointing nonetheless. "I don't have any use for potions." Azide shook his head and pushed the beaker aside, then moved to his next trial.

ID: 13304

-1 Mat

+2 (+1) = +3 Exp

"Well Bob's my uncle!" he exclaimed. He grabbed the the newly formed crystal from the liquid that swirled from inside the glass container, knowing full well that he'd managed to craft yet another higher quality creation. He'd already managed four crystallizations, with another two left to go. "Whatever the results of these next two trials may be, today's been a success, no doubt."

It had a soft green glow to it. Not like a flashlight or the glow-in-the-dark garbage you might get as a party favor, but like the fleeting glow of a firefly. It was beautiful, in its own right.

ID: 13308
-1 Mat
+5 (+1) = +6 Exp