[PP-F2] Hunters (Square One)

To: Square One, Ariel

Subject: -

ATTN. everyone, sending my coordinates.

You are all not to travel alone under any circumstances.

All members either in the forest or a surrounding area, please report ASAP.

Be alert, be careful.

Azide

The boy's last words echoed in his mind as his fingers hastily tapped away at the projection that hovered before him. His hand lacked its trademark steadiness, making it clumsy and ineffective; his foot caught against a protruding root, and nearly sent him crashing to the ground. His arms lashed out in a desperate, but ultimately successful to re-balance his center of gravity. A single tap of his finger ensured that the message was sent, and a second removed the screen from view.

Eyes as brown as the bark around him refocused their attention on what lay ahead, and he began to redouble his efforts. Every stride became longer and more frequent, and he increased his pace until his breathing grew ragged.

His mind replayed the haunting scene on end, and every crash of his foot against the ground evoked memories of that horrible shatter. He forced himself to abandon such thoughts for the time being, and his heart raced as he finally spotted X in the distance. "The idiot's still safe."

He cupped his hands together and pushed himself further still as a second wind swept through his aching limbs. "For the love of God, slow the hell down, X- I'm begging you here!" he shouted, at the top of his lungs.

Something wasn't right, and he knew it. The boy hadn't died immediately- it'd taken place over the span of a few seconds. Adding to the confusion, his body had also taken on a brief red glow before he'd died. But that could be addressed later. It would have to be.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scene before happened and ended quickly. He had just began to reply to Ariel when the sounds of rushing feet, panting, and ragged huffs flew by him. He caught a glimpse of Maruchan and X rocketing through the trees. Perhaps running away from or towards something that couldn't be seen by Oikawa. The next sight surprised him. A very clear sight Azide exploded by him and Ariel as he followed X and his familiar. Ariel wasted no time in dashing after them. She threw a comment towards him as she leaped into the trees, but the words got caught in the noise that surrounded them and as such he never heard her.

What the hell is going on? It's not like Azide to go rushing off anywhere like that. His thoughts din't get to expand further as a message popped into view. Opening it, Oikawa glanced it over before tapping out a quick reply and hustling back to the camp. Someone needs to camp in order while their gone.

To: Square One, Ariel

Subject: -

What's going on mate? I'm heading back to the camp. I'll do a body count once I return and then send out the group to your coordinates. Ariel, watch out for our leader and make sure X doesn't get to reckless.

-Oikawa

Smashing the send button, Oikawa bounded through the foliage and made his way back to camp. At first no one was in sight. Don't panic, they have to be around here somewhere. "Guys! Where are you? I need a head count. Mark this location and make sure you have your gear ready. We're going HUNTING!!!" 

Aeternum had gone numb. He could not feel anything, nor hear any noise. He watched as X and Azide took off, and could do nothing but cry. He made his way to the remaining tent and crawled inside, still cursing Aincrad. Eventually, he was reduced to whimpering and sniffling.

Why had he entered this game? It had not seemed so bad at first, but now... now it scared him. He curled into a ball, saying again and again, "I don't want to die."

He remained there, having stopped crying, but still shocked. He shivered, feeling as if an ice cold breeze passed through him.

Perhaps he could just go to sleep. Yes, that would be very good.

Crozeph suddenly saw something appear in front of him, a message from his guild leader and something that isn't good. Crozeph quickly changed his sword, opening his menu and switching Crimson Flare to Bleeding Dove "now is the time to put you to another good use" he said as it materializes on his back. Crozeph then looked back at the camp "Sozen don't leave the area if you don't plan to go with me right now, send me a message if something happens" he told the new member "this campsite is the only safe place we have for now" he added. Crozeph quickly dashed off only to see Oikawa enter the camp "give me an idea of the situation Oikawa, the guild leader doesn't send messages filled with cautions unless..." Crozeph gave a quick look just outside the campsite "...something or someone dangerous is roaming around" he added. Crozeph then ran to the path "do the body count then I'll head out, keep the map open to see the other member's markers" he told him. Crozeph dashed off to the woods hoping to see someone not far from the site, his left hand on the hilt of his sword.

While chasing after X the blond could hear her Inbox ringing. "Not now!" she snapped while canceling the first message without reading its content. Then after a few more seconds the same sound could be heard again. "Now people are getting chatty all of the sudden?" she mumbled while reading the message from Oikawa, once she finished she closed the message box gritting her teeth: "You don't have to tell me that, baka!" she thought while keeping track of X and Maruchan while evading incoming branches. Suddenly she could hear Azide from behind shouting at X to stop. "That idiot is acting on his own again! but I got to give it to him..he's one fast fella.

She didn't knew what happened back camp but for now she had to stop X's advancement, or at least slow him down somehow. "X, Maruchan, heel!!!" she shouted a random command that she remembered being spoken by a dog trained a long time ago. "Like that would work, stupid!" came a reply from deep into her conscience. Changing her focus on Kimba, Ariel said in a sharp tone: "Don't lose them from you sight, whatever happens!" ....'I hope the rest are safe

Seeing the message on my HUD Iam overjoyed to be invited to my first outing with Square One. The only one I've met so far has been Oikawa. Hopefully the rest are just as wonderful as he is. I dash towards the location noted on the message. I'm ready for some adventure. I've been kinda lacking in training so this will be nice to get out and stretch my dueling arm. Square One, prepare to meet one of your newest members!

Raeyliff was lying down under a tree in Floor 2 with Ash before getting notified of a message. Raising his eyebrows, he sat up and decided to read the message. "All Square One members...be careful, come here right away. Got it." he said, before closing his messages and equipping Helsependel. Ash looked up curiously as Raeyliff put the battle-axe on his back, where it was usually held in place, and opened up the map to display where Azide was. Ash flew over Raeyliff's shoulder, took a look at the map, and chirped. Raeyliff grinned. "Let's go, buddy." he said, before running to the co-ordinations, and finally reaching Azide- or what he was where Azide was. Looking around, he noticed that Oikawa was here and was with a bunch of other dudes. He walked over to Oikawa before receiving another message, this time from him. He read it over quickly before going over to him. "Hey Oikawa. I'm new to this guild so...care to explain what's going on? Why would Azide call everyone over and then just leave the meeting place?" he asked, curious. After noticing that Azide wasn't there he immediately felt that something was off, so he needed to know. 

Rebekah had received a message in her inbox from Azide, and as she walked through the forest. As she began reading the message, she could tell that something had happened that she did not know about. While it would be a good time to sit down and respond, she knew that she was walking through the part that Azide had said not to walk alone in. Thus, she knew that it would be best to get out of the forest towards where the rest of the members were gathering.

Subject: Re-

Currently making my way through the forest alone towards your location.

- Rebekah

She sent a brief reply, and started walking briskly towards their location. That said, she was not afraid of whatever was out there, but knew that it would be better to be a little bit more cautious than risky in these situations. She knew that it would be at least another 15-20 minutes until she would arrive, as she was taking a longer route away from the center of the forest, than cutting straight across.

Crozeph suddenly swooped into view. He rattled off a few comments before immediately following Azide's coordinates. "Alright the rest of you gather up your items and weapons and follow me. We don't know what's out there but whatever it is. it's killing players. And I don't like that. If you feel unprepared for whatever lies a ahead, speak up now or forever hold your peace." Oikawa waited to make sure there were no complaints before he continued. Unexpectedly a familiar face came into the campsite. An old pal of his named Raeyliff who just happened to be one of S1's newest members. 

"Situation is dangerous and unknown. I have no clue what's going on but Azide sent a mass message for us to meet up at his coordinates. After I gather everyone up that's here, we'll head out." Another message popped into view. So Rebekah' out here as well. Good! She's a strong player so hopefully she makes it to the location safe and sound. "Guys! Anybody see Aeternum?" Check the tents and the surrounding area. If no dice you guys travel together to the location I'll look more and then make my way there. These are your orders. Let's move people." 

Crozeph kept on running that he almost scaled upward to a tree. Crozeph held on the branch of the tree before he could completely lose the momentum of his run. Perching on the tree, Crozeph looked around to see where Azide is, his skills on tracking someone is not that strong but still he trusts his instincts on finding X, Azide and Ariel who darted off somewhere. Crozeph jumped down after a few minutes and ran again with his map open in front of him. Crozeph stopped as he saw his marker stray of the coordinates "not here" he said before changing the direction to where he's running. Crozeph could feel something wrong and his mistake is not listening to what Oikawa has to say "too late for regrets, just don't something to regret again" he thought as he continues to run in the forest, his killing instincts and weapons topped with his current skills ready for any encounter.

Aeternum glanced up and saw that he had recieved a message. So much for sleeping. He sat up and read the message. This was serious. He sighed, he would have to push aside his emotions and do as Azide had said. He stood up on shaking legs and exited the tent. He made his way to the player Oikawa, who seemed to be in charge, saying, "I'm here, w-what do you need me to do?"

As he stood there, the sight of the dying player played through his mind on repeat. What had killed him? Aeternum felt as if there had been something odd about this players death, but he could not put his finger on it.

Raeyliff looked behind him to see that a kid, probably that Aeternum that they were looking for, was walking up. He nodded. "Here he is, Oikawa. Is that him?" he asked, gesturing to Aeternum. Making sure not to sound rude, he turned to look at Aeternum. "Hey there, we were waiting for you. Apparently Azide called for all of Square One before running off somewhere, and now we're going after them. My name is Raeyliff, pleased to meet you." he said, smiling, looking at Aeternum, putting his hand out to shake his before looking at Oikawa. "So, what now? Where do we go? What do we do?" he asked. He didn't like to be kept confused about something, especially if he was going to be part of whatever it is. He liked to know what he was doing through and through before going through with it. 

My eyelids slightly dropped towards the center of my eyes. I kept my speed up pushing to the limits the game gives me and even using some of my own athletic ability. Maruchan slightly looked back and barked at me. I instantly knew what it meant and watched as he turned off to the left.

"Let's do it." I said softly under my breath.

I ran full speed threw the branches straight at a tree trunk. While coming close I leaped for it and pushed off with my legs spiraling my body to reduce wind friction. I could see the grid lines of the game I was moving so fast it seems this isn't exactly an orthadoxed way of moving. Then with a thud I realized I had hit my target which was ariel. I tackled her down to the ground and wound up grabbing azide too as we hit the ground. I quickly placed my hands over there mouths.

"Shut up, shut up." I started stammering as I looked up and my eyes lit green as my detection skill activated.

"Okay I know you guys probably can't see it but in the valley over there about half a click out is our guy. He's moving slow using some kind of stealth skill but he noticed maruchan so that means his detection is as good as mine." I whispered as I explained my actions to ariel and azide.

Crozeph kept on dashing on the way but keeping his footsteps light leaving only the sound of the wind to follow, he can't afford to take unwanted attention. The night sky seemed more calm as usual for him but down where he is, there's a situation which might brew something he may not be able to comprehend "I may not know X much but I'm 100% sure he won't get himself in trouble just by sticking his nose to something" he thought. Crozeph's detection skill hasn't been put to use even when he has it, things like lessening the damage and dealing more damage comes first in his mind whenever he acquires skill points on leveling up "now where are they?" he asked himself. Crozeph stopped and ducked, opening his menu and viewed his map. It seems one of his guildmate has reached Azide and the other one may be Ariel "no sign of S1" he said, looking around. Crozeph then set his hand on the hilt of his katana, senses open for any danger than may come by. Crozeph walked slowly where he heard talking and kept his footsteps light, he may be one of the guilds capable members but danger chooses no one to deal with.

A message flashed before his face and he skimmed its contents without opening it. It was from Oikawa, who wanted answers- but otherwise seemed to be taking up the reigns back at camp. A vague sense of guilt came about him as he exited from the window without reply, but he shoved it into the back of his mind. Oikawa's actions would be appropriate, and a round up of the guild's unaccounted for members would go a long way toward easing his worries.

Suddenly, a second message blinked into existence right where the old one had been. His hand had already begun to move toward the 'x' in the corner as he let out an exasperated sigh.

But then it stopped. And then he stopped.

To: Rebekah

Subject: Re: Re: -

Damn it Rebekah, I'm not screwing around here...

Have your sword at hand, and be careful, alright?

Be careful.

His fingers mashed the message into the virtual keyboard as his eyes darted away every few seconds, driven by something that blurred the line between caution and paranoia. But one thing was for sure- her death would not be on his hands. And neither would X's- nor any of the others who inexplicably ran off on their own. More than a couple of emotions ran through him as he stood there between the trees, but the adrenaline in his veins forced him to move onward.

But just as his feet pushed off against the ground, he heard a voice call out from behind him. "Ariel?" As he gave a frantic glance over his shoulder, he felt a hand grasp around his arm. Before he knew it, he was on the ground and looking up at X, who'd called on the two of them to hush up.

Azide moved his guild mate's hand away from his mouth and peered out into the expanse of forest ahead of them, but saw nothing. "So we're dealing with a player here after all?" he asked, his voice low, as if trying to avoid the ire of a teacher in class.

His mind jumped back to the chilling scene, and he watched in his mind's eye as the boy flashed a sickly red a total of twice, before shattering. "There'd been rumors of a creature lurking around these woods- like I'd mentioned before, and for a moment I'd thought that it was to be our target."

This time, he focused on the flash of red as he scrunched his eyes shut for the moment. The scene made his breath feel shallow and faint, but he forced himself to concentrate in spite of it all. Then, his mind replayed another memory, from what'd seemed like ages ago. He remembered a time when Alyss had stabbed him by accident during a struggle with a boar- it was the first time he'd witnessed a particular effect in person. His eyes opened, and he kept his voice to a whisper. "But I have an idea of how to tell who this mysterious assailant was- whether he's the player you've detected, or just another bloodlusted mob."

Azide sighed, as he pictured that sickly shade of red yet again. "Bleed," he said simply. "That's what we look for."

Rebekah was trying to infer the situation going on from the personal message that Azide had replied. If it was something that even she had to be careful about, she jumped to a single conclusion. She knew that it would probably better for her if she stay hidden instead of moving around the forest, as it was not the first time that she had dealt with this. She had seen them around before, but have never successfully tracked one down yet in a group. Maybe this will be her first time, or not.

To Azide
From Rebekah
Subject Re:Re:Re-

Are we dealing with a maverick? Or is that not yet confirmed?

Rebekah thought about it a lot more, and she was surprise that her first thought was to track it down over her own safety. Thus, she decided to blend into the surroundings and maybe see if she could obtain any clues from her location, as she was on the other side of the forest as everyone else. Maybe she could find out something from this side, she wondered.

Aeternum finally appeared from a tent and made his way to Oikawa. A look of sad thoughts and conflict had surfaced to his face. "Before I decide how we proceed, I need to know what happened Aeternum. What's bugging you? What happened? Azide and Crozeph left me out of the loop and I couldn't very well leave you guys stranded out here like prey for a predator." Raeyliff chimed in with questions of his own. Turning to face him, he answered to the best of his abilities. "Right now we hear Aeternum's story, then depending on his answer we'll either go round up the scattered S1 members or have everyone meet up at the designated location. I'm sorry I can't give more direction without more information." Oikawa stood and waited for Aeternum to explain what had happened,

The blond and her familiar finally got to catch up with then only to be put down to the ground by X. "I won't claim I understand what we're doing here but answer me this question. What are we hunting exactly? because I don't see S1 going on Pking so easily." she said while removing X's hand, she partially understood that the circumstances, whatever those were, demanded him to act like that but still... She managed to squeeze the next words out while her companion came beside them: "Bleed you say...may I remind you that I too have that effect?"

For some reason Azide still seemed out of character..'Dammit I have to be out of the loop!' she thought while unsheathing her sword then addressing the others. "I don't know if hiding will do us good. If you say it's only one player/moob then we have the advantage of numbers against him. I say we get him before he or it runs away." she'd wish they were more than 3 but she had to make good with that. X seemed to retain his composure and fight as usual, but with Azide ..that was another matter. He didn't seem like himself at the moment and Ariel wasn't sure how he would react if they engaged in battle.

Ariel's mind instantly went in battle-mode quickly putting together a simple plan that she then explain in a commanding-like fashion, her voice gained a coldness she didn't like to display: "You said he was one right? I suggest we split, you two each take a flank and I'll go head on first to distract him. If it's just a mob then it's no problem in fighting it but if we're dealing with a player then I'd like to have you guys around to keep watch for any other surprises and if things get hairy you can jump in and help. What say you? " it wasn't the best of plans but time to think about any elaborate one, was a luxury that they couldn't afford right now.

After following Oikawa through this intriguing adventure, I find myself in an awkward stance. Whatever we were hunting, it was killing players. I hate most player killers. From the sound of things, the one called Aeternum is having some anxiety over the whole situation. Oikawa is just trying to keep us together until Azide comes back I guess. I hope I actually get to meet these people in a more intimate way I guess. Hopefully, no one else is going to die, unless its the monster that has apparently terrorized my guildmates.

When azide mentioned talk of a creature ironically enough I looked over in the direction of the beast and saw trees breaking and heard his insane roar. "Nah one thing at a time." I thought to myself. I listened as ariel told us her plan and had to shake my head.

"It seems a bit risky; I think having you and azide take the flank would be better considering I can move faster and quieter in the trees. Also remember we have a stealted player who's detection is around as good as mine. Now if I go up into the trees I can get closer before he notices. So il drop down on him to force him out then you guys just need to be there." I told while drawing a diagram in the mud.

I sat back and took a deep breath. I'm surprisingly good at planning stuff like this. Now I need to find him again so I looked up and noticed he had actually come closer. Not to the point were he's headed directly for us meaning he's found us but his route can be intersected. I was now able to get a better look of him an-...

"Ah sh*t... The dudes a god d*mn yakuza. I can tell by the tattoos. I don't know what it's worth in the game but Ive never ripped off anyone part of a huge crime syndicate before... Well there's a first time for everything I guess." I told azide and ariel.

I then with out speaking jumped up into the trees using the sound and direction of the wind to cover what little noise I made.