[OP]-The beginning (Comepleted) [F1]

A faint warm smile had worked its way onto Takao's face as he watched Rose and Mack, although it quickly faded away as the talk of duels continued. He didn't personally have a problem with them, although he would've preferred their use be more along the lines of sparring and practice than a way to settle arguments and let out aggression. He figured the former could be solved through talking, and there was a plethora of emotionless, murderous monsters that would be much more beneficial for solving the latter. But, he couldn't find it in him to tell them not to fight either, he didn't really know any of them after all.

"Well, if you guys do decide to do the half-HP duel, you should be careful. Status effects will stay active in the safe zone even after the duel is over, and if you score a critical hit you might deal more damage than you intended. It won't stop at the halfway point automatically." Whether or not they already knew the conditions of the duel didn't matter much to him, he wanted to be sure they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into.

"I don't think I can hang around here for too much longer, though. I was on my way to do something before I found her," Takao said, pausing for a moment to gesture to Rose. "So I should be heading off to the higher floors soon."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the two brutes continued to quarrel, they at least decided to take my suggestion of us all going out to get some drinks and food and for us to finally have a proper introduction. That's when the Smith tossed me one of his handicrafts. I caught it like he expected me to and unsheathed the weapon. it was magnificent. "Mack my good sir" I began. If this is for me I accept, and you may have my rapier, free of charge. May it come of use to you". To Mack, this may seem as if I was accepting just a gift. But to me, this was much more. It was a bury-the-hatchet gift. It seemed as if he had gotten over the whole alley scene, or at least I hope he has. That was one fiasco. I looked to the unnamed silver hair gentleman, who was walking out of the shop. "I guess we're off then" I said and hoped that the others would follow. That's when I heard it, from Takao. He said that he may having to be leaving us soon. I didn't know this man very well but the thought of our numbers dropping unsettled me. He looked to be a sharp player and seeing as how he was part of a guild that helps out new people he must be somewhat experienced. Rose then chimed in, saying basically the same thing. Our numbers were falling fast. We lose two because they want to go their own ways and we may lose another if this duel is to happen. To be fair though, I have never made a clear effort that we should all team up. I then affixed the new blade, Leopard's Fang to my side and continued out the door...

A lesson in manners? Ha! Come on Mack you've got to be joking. Of course I didn't dare say this out loud but was what I was thinking as I walked to the exit of the tent behind everyone else. As I finally reached the flap I exchanged yet another sour look with Mack as I ducked my head under the flap. When I emerged I heard Rose make a comment about us leaving her behind. All the confusion about our destination must've made her feel unwelcome. Well nobody else said anything so it was my turn to step up. I walked up closer to her gave her a light smile "You don't have to leave. It's only right that we treat you to dinner after all the trouble we've caused you" I also turned to Takao so he didn't feel unwelcomed either, "You can't bail on us now, things are just getting interesting" I said with an almost sarcastic grin on my face. After that I turned my mind back to the matter at hand. I was the one who mentioned the cafe in the first place so they were probably waiting on me to lead them there. However, at this point it didn't seem like quite enough, I'd have to go with a resturaunt instead. Conveniently enough the cafe I had planned on going to was at the edge of the eating district I frequented. As such, I also knew of a good NPC resturaunt. That being the case, without waiting for the two to respond, I set out in that direction and gestured for everyone to follow me. When we eventually reached the resturaunt in question I reached out to the door to hold it open for everyone to enter, although I was unaware of who was still there because I pretty much tuned out the whole walk in my thoughts. However, when I saw Mack enter I was sure to put a huge smile on my face. 

(Sorry for assuming I could bring everyone in here, it just seemed like the natural thing to do. However, I did add that tuning out thing just in case something happened that I skipped over.)

OOC: SURPRISE!

As the last member of the group passed out of the tent smithy, Mack paused for a second. Then he pursed his lips and let loose with an ear piercing whistle. From over near the shop's forge a brown lump exploded into motion with a happy growling cry. The brown and tan blue of muscle, mostly fat, and fur when rumbling out of the tent as fast as its four feet could carry it, buzzing out under the table and out into the street beyond, directly into the midst of the group of people. As it crossed the threshold of the tent the creature tripped over its own feet and rolled head over bobbed tail for a few feet until it came to a stop at Rose's feet and it became clear that the creature was a bear, specifically a grizzly bear cub.

Popping to its feet in a flash the bear got up on its hind feet and started batting at each of the members of the group, giving them a big brown eyed look and opening and shutting his mouth. Clearly, the animal was looking for something to eat. "Chewie, no," the blonde smith commanded. "Heel," he continued, snapping his fingers and pointing at the ground by his feet. The bear cub continued to paw at the group member it had singled out, Takao, for a few seconds. He was eyeing Takao's familiar and licking his lips. But, at the command to come to heel the bear stopped what it was doing and trotted over to its Master's feet before flopping into a sitting position with a soft woofing grunt.

"Koumori is going to show us to a place for dinner," he said in a low tone to the bear, tapping a finger on the cub's head and then pointing at Koumori. The cub made a rumbling growling noise, it was impossible to tell if the animal understood what it was being told or not. Other than the word dinner. He clearly understood that word because his furry ears perked up. "If he takes too long, Chewie, you can eat him," Mack continued easily. The bear cub opened its mouth and bore its teeth at Koumori, looking as intimidating as a toddler sized bear could look which was, quite naturally, not all that scary.

"Lead the way," Mack rumbled, then he followed Koumori as the other player led the way through the city's streets in the direction of wherever it was he was taking them all for food. When they reached the restaurant Mack picked up the bear by the scruff of its neck, which it clearly didn't seem to mind, and placed the animal across his shoulders as he passed through the door that Koumori was holding open. As the bear cub and bear-sized man entered the eatery past Koumori Chewie bared his teeth again and smacked his jaws hungrily. Whether or not he was trying to threaten the other warrior was anyone's guess.

The contrast between the huge man (who I now knew as 'Mack' by Abalasster) and the tiny bear cub was pretty impressive.  A giant man with a (mostly) soft heart compared to a tiny animal who showed its bestial hunger to the last player's dragon.  Animalistic but nonetheless adorable.

I followed Koumori and the rest of the players to our destination, turning my head to watch Mack plop the brown animal on his shoulders, mimicking the guy with the dragon.  I had yet to learn his name, but then again, everyone had yet to learn mine.  I gave a soft 'thank you' to Koumori as he held the door open for us.  I held high respect for people who did that, most possibly because I was someone who did that myself; holding doors open, picking belongings up, putting things away, all those kinds of gestures I could respect.

Soon enough we'd've been able to introduce ourselves, and some of us may have even let on about our skills and equipment

Rose blinked in surprise upon seeing the bear cub at first but then she smiled and watched as the bear run around the group looking for something to eat. Chewie, Huh. The name, which she remembered from seeing Starwars when she was younger made her smile. It reminded Rose of her parents again, but she kept her composure as she continued to head for the restaurant.

Once they had arrived, Koumori opened the door and Rose filed in along with everyone else. She made sure to say a thank you to him before heading inside. She looked around the place, haveing not been in a restaurant in the game yet. She was glad to get some food and something to eat though, she could use it. Once again she lifted a hand to her necklace again and almost seemed to try and ajust something but then she quickly stopped and put her hand down and to her side. 

Takao's gaze settled on the bear cub as it approached him, though he was quick to notice the small monster's attention wasn't on him. He cast a sidelong glance to the monster that had leaned around to his left shoulder to glance at the small bear below and bared(puns) its sharp, shark-like teeth in a wicked grin. Its forked tongue slipped out from between the monster's teeth as it exhaled a low, guttural growl. The monster must have felt Takao's gaze on it, for it turned slightly to glance back at the brunet who slowly shook his head to wordlessly denounce its display of aggression. Takao proceeded to mutter something in his native tongue, something along the lines of "don't start any fights" to those capable of both understanding and hearing. A huff of breath and defeated grumble escaped from behind its teeth before the red-coloured monster returned to its previous position. He offered Koumori a warm smile and nod of gratitude as he passed through the held door.

As soon as they passed through the doors and entered the restaurant, Takao's familiar hopped down off his shoulders and sauntered alongside him. The brunet rolled his head and relaxed his shoulders, relieved to have the weight of the monster off his shoulders. He normally didn't mind carrying the small beast around, especially since he found the occasional glance in his direction rather amusing, but with all of the items filling his inventory at the moment his equipment load made the extra weight a tad more cumbersome than normal.

"There's a place that looks a lot like this on the third floor." Takao thought aloud as he examined the building's interior. "Must've been cheaper to reuse the assets, I guess."

As we are all out of the door, I began to see a bear cub like thing run over to Takao. This creature obviously wasn't after Takao, but had malicious intentions for the friend on Takao's shoulder. Though, before the creature could cause any real harm, Mack, the creature's apparent owner called him back. He then proceeded to put him on his shoulder. We all began to walk towards the restaurant that Koumori was taking us too. I remained quiet. It seemed like the group was stepping on hot coals right now with the whole Koumori vs. Mack situation. If this was some kind of war and I was tasked to choose a side, I really don't know who I would support. Both have their ups and downs. Mack has been kind enough to give me one of his hand tailored weapons and Koumori has earned my trust by listening to me. I wish this quarrel was over. We eventually made it to the restaurant, and for once we didn't argue. Koumori held the door for everyone. I gave him a nod and said "Thank you my friend". The restaurant was quaint. But what disturbed me is everything that could go wrong. I can imagine it now, Koumori and Mack, arguing over the bill, the food, hell, if the seats are even comfortable. I push that to the back of my mind though. Now, the introductions begin and end...  

I held the door as my acquaintances filed in one by one, each giving a smile and a thanks. Then came Mack and oh my god what was that on his shoulder. Mack approached me with a bear like familiar resting on his shoulder. Where had that come from? Maybe it wasn't a good idea to tune out what was going on behind me. As Mack and his "friend" walked through the door I was greeted by two dirty looks this time. Of course I responded with one of my own, but this time I wasn't sure who to look at. That bear seemed to really hate me too. With everyone inside, I released the door and stepped in myself. The resturaunt I had chosen was a place that sold only western dishes, but you could probably guess by the look of the place. It had tan stone walls adorned with wood framing and was veritably covered with fugly potted plants, a look that could only be described as vaguely Italian. That's not to say that Italian resturaunts have ugly plants, but this place did. As I walked in I noticed that the place was fairly busy, but I spotted an open table in the back left corner that had just enough seats for our relatively large group. I led everyone over to table I was eyeing and sat myself down at the seat closest to the wall. Feeling that I couldn't resist the urge, I launched and antagonist insult at Mack. "You'd better be on your best behavior, Mack. I hear they don't take kindly to muscle heads in fancy places like this." I said sarcastically as I crossed my hands behind my head and leaned back in my chair. I supposed that making fun of the guy wouldn't bring him any closer to earning my trust, but I felt like I had to do something to make the night interesting. Even though I saw him as the bad guy, I wasn't afraid to play the bad guy myself so that everyone could have some fun. Hopefully most of them realized this and understood that I wasn't a total class-A tool. On the other hand though, if I could get Mack to show his true colors maybe things would tip in my favor, or maybe I would learn that I really could trust him. For the moment though, I'd let things go as they may. From there I turned my thoughts away from Mack and over to the silver haired guy that was with us. I knew it took me awhile to introduce myself, but this guy still hadn't done his bit. Best to get that out of the way. "Hey before we start ordering, you haven't said anything about your self yet." I said looking at the player in question. 

While Mack hadn't gone out of his way to thank Koumori for holding the door of the restaurant open, to the smith's way of thinking it was merely his returning the favor after Mack had held open the tent flap to his shop to usher everyone out about fifteen minutes ago, he also hadn't berated Chewie for the scene the grizzly cub had made with the fangs and the bear faces at Koumori when they'd walked past either. Winding his way through the restaurant, Mack and Chewie made their way over to the seat in the exact corner which would let the hulking smith sit so that his storm cloud eyes could easily see the whole of not only the table, but also the restaurant.

Of course, no sooner had they seated themselves, then Koumori launched into more of the verbal diarrhea that seemed to be the trademark of the brown haired kid. "It is one thing for me to think you an idiot," the smith said in a low, even tone as his eyes bored into Koumori's. "It's quite another when you open your mouth to remove all doubt for the group."

I drew out a deep and exaggerated sigh while sitting down as the two blockheads began their tirades again.

"Seriously guys, please not in a place like this," I asked them.  If they continued, we'd be kicked out faster than we entered, "By all means, butt heads outside of the restaurant, but it really isn't a great idea to do that in here.  I'm sure the other three agree," I made a gesture to Abalsster, the boy with the dragon and the young girl.

I placed my hands behind my head, and was soon approached by Koumori, questioning my not introducing myself, "Oh, I'm terribly sorry.  I was planning on introducing myself once we all sat down.  My name's Grave, and I came from London to Japan to play SAO," I told the group, a beaming grin on my face.

Rose heard Grave introduce himself. Giving him a small smile she said "It's nice to meet you Grave, my name's Rose." Upon hearing Mack and Koumori fighting again she merely sighed and opened her menu to check over what was served. Her stomach grumbled lightly and she rested her hand on it in embarresment while continuing to look. 

After she had picked what she had ordered, which was a plate of spaghetti with two large meatballs and a glass of apple juice, she put her menu down and asked the question which had been bugging her for a little while. "How old are you guys?" She didn't mean it in a accusatory way, she just wanted to know. It was hard for her to judge someones age based on appearance for her, so decided to go ahead and ask. Besides, she had already said her actual age, so in her mind it was fair for them to tell her theres. 

Takao precariously seated himself between Mack and Koumori, a decision he regretted almost immediately. His glance shot from Koumori, who had rekindled the fires of their argument with what Takao had interpreted as a demeaning remark, over to Mack who had retorted in such a way that Takao had to fight back the fierce desire to laugh. His cheeks puffed up with the suppressed urge, only the slightest hint of the start of a snicker escaping. He forced himself to take a breath and calm down. He had been so preoccupied with the uncomfortable-grown-amusing environment that he hadn't been paying attention to the menu in front of him, and had ended up choosing a meal at random. The monster of his had moved to sit on his lap, and had already taken to eating the meal Takao had ordered. 

The conversation took a shift toward introductions, and he held onto the hope that it would shift the two feuding members of their mismatched group away from their hostilities, yet the realist in him found it unlikely. "I'm Takao." He introduced himself again, though his words were focused more toward Grave. The brunet glanced down at the red monster that had commandeered his meal and shrugged slightly. "-and this is Otoko. I'm about... Eighteen now, I think?"

After we all filed into the cozy restaurant and went to a table in that back that just so happened to seat all of us, the arguments began again. With Mack and Koumori again, disregarding there tableside manner. Luckily, I wasn't the only one who had found this to a be annoying, the silver haired gentleman spoke his mind, though, I am skeptical that it will do any good. At least he spoke up before I did. I would have given them both a piece of my mind. The table arrangement felt slightly off. This was mainly because Both of the behemoths were on the same side of the table, with Takao in the middle. That kind of move is equivalent to standing between a hurricane and a monsoon and thinking that you won't get wet. I sat across from the Smith and next to the silver haired gentleman. I looked to my menu and ordered their finest salad and a water. That's when introductions began going around the table, starting with our mystery man with silver hair introducing himself as Grave. Takao then introduced himself as well as Rose introducing herself. Though I had already introduced myself at least twice, I decided "Hey, maybe some people have been paying more attention to the clash of the titans than who I am. "Lady and Gentlemen, like I have said before, I am Abalasster". Once our meals got here, Rose asked a rather odd question, being that she was curious about our ages. To be quite fair, this question can be taken two ways. Way one, just a curious question to who we are and a trying-to-get-to-know-you-question. The other way it can be taken is someone that feels unsafe and untrusting about there peers. I took the ladder option. "16 and still barely kicking" I said. Takao's response humored me. "18 now, I think" was his answer. Either he has been in this his whole life or he is beginning to lose his self. After I finished my salad, I began to twirl my butter knife around and ask a serious question to the Smith and Koumori. To be fair, it was closer to two questions than one. "Koumori and Mack, why do you two quarrel so. Is it because you are trying to gain dominance over one another or is it just because you two's chemistry is the worst possible. Please do explain, hopefully without any arguments". As I said this I propped my feet up on the table off a good half a meter from Mack's head, so I wouldn't be invading any personal space of his. He was already in a scuffle with Koumori, no need to get on the excellent craftsman's bad side...  

Oh haha this guy was good. He just snuck in a way to call me an idiot. I couldn't help but laugh inside my head at the way he had responded. Well obviously I couldn't let that go unpunished. My smile not vanishing I leaned forward in my chair and offered my retort, "Hey you want to call me stupid? That's fine. But tell me, do you get off on proving that you're better than others? Is that giant axe of yours maybe over compensating for something?" Nicely done Koumori, insulting him and his craftsmanship in one blow. That was sure to push the walnut brained thug's buttons. I decided Mack has had enough of my attention for the moment and turned my attention to my menu. I ended up ordering the same thing as Rose, minus the meatballs, with only water to drink. As we ate it looked like introductions were going around. The last unnamed member had given his name like a asked, which was Grave, so this time it was ages. When it got around to me I put down my fork so that I could answer, I was caught with spaghetti still in my mouth. After I swallowed I spoke, "I'm sixteen too." As I finished Abalasster chimed in and asked another question, he wanted to know what my problem was with Mack. I already knew what it was so all I had to do was think of a way to explain myself. I put my elbows on the table and leaned forward as I responded, making it a point to have eye contact with everyone besides Mack. "Like I said I don't trust him. I can't get behind a guy who threatens one minute then throws away free stuff the next. Not to mention he shows off his weapons and size any chance he gets. I'm not easily trusting but I am suspicious." Unable to resist my urge to be sarcastic, I also threw in this at the end, "And I know what you guys are thinking, no it has nothing to do with not liking his hair" I sat back in my chair and looked around the table. It was obvious the Grave and Aballaster were getting tired of my pissing match with the incredible joke and were nearing the point where they'd step in. But I started getting this feeling. I felt like that even if Mack were to somehow gain my trust, our constant jabbing wouldn't end. Whether we ended up hating each other or not, this would alway be a part of out dynamic. At least, that's what I thought.

Edited by Koumori

"Alfredo lasagna and the Forst Heller Bock, and a raw streak for Chewie," Mack rumbled when it was his turn to order. Sure, the steak would taste better cooked and spiced, but Mack was well aware that the grizzly cub wouldn't care one bit either way. Therefore, there was no point to anyone going to the extra effort. Frankly, Chewie probably would prefer his meal to be raw and dripping. Sensing that food would soon be placed before him, the cub was on its best behavior, lounging on its stomach next to the smith's chair. When the waiter returned with meals, Mack promptly put the plated steak on the ground for the bear cub. It growled in delight and began plowing through the slab of meat like Napoleon through Eastern Europe. As he began on his own meal, introductions seemed to be going around the table.

"Mack, twenty-seven, sergeant in the Army," the blonde answered around a mouthful of food from his already nearly gone plate of lasagna. He'd gone ahead and answered the unasked question about his profession too. As soon as the younger players figured out he wasn't playing as an older avatar but that he really was a good bit older than most of them they invariably wanted to know what it was that he did in the real world. Meanwhile, some truly terrifying sounds were coming from below the table as Chewie obliterated his steak. As things continued on around the table, it was no surprise when Koumori shot off his mouth again.

"The boy makes an interesting observation, though like so many teenage boys his mouth writes plenty of checks that he can't cash," the smith continued in a low tone, sipping on his beer as he spoke. "If you still need the lesson on discretion being the better part of valor... it seems that dinner is nearly over."

I waved off the waiter politely when they came to take my order.  I wasn't actually that hungry, I was only there for entertainment (and peacekeeping).  Soon enough, the young girl, who mentioned her name was Rose, asked of our ages.  I wasn't surprised; she was so young she'd want to get as much info as possible.

When I listened to everyone's ages, I was actually quite surprised, "Wow, alright then, turns out I'm the second oldest here.  I turn twenty five in June," I told them, before giving them a beaming grin, "Bloody hell, all of you make me feel old," I gave a light chuckle... But I was soon stopped as the  clash occurred yet again.  I swear, if that continued, I was going to smash a bloody plate over one of their heads (more likely Koumori, as he can't rip me in half).

I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths as the war raged on.  I waited... Five seconds... Four... Three... Two... One... They still hadn't stopped, so I couldn't help but resort to my secret weapon.

Hands still behind my head and eyes still shut, I curled my bottom lip under my top and blew out, my breath forcing its way through the tiny gap and producing a loud, shrill tone in an attempt to shut everyone up.

Rose listened to the men answer her question along with another one from Alabasster to Koumori and Mack. It felt weird being the youngest but it couldnt be helped she supposed. Koumori's answer about why he clashed heads with Mack interested her. The thought had never crossed her mind that the Blacksmith may be untrustworthy. This made her frown, usually she was a cautious person around new people, so why had the thought never accured to her? 

Before she could think more on it though, Grave made a sharp noise with his mouth which made her jump slightly and almost knocking her glass of apple juice to the floor. Slightly annoyed, she moved it farther from the edge of the table just incase he did it again. Then she relized that Mack and Koumori were at it again which might be why he did it in the first place.  Feeling less annoyed, she continued with her meal. Pulling her plate of food closer to her, she started to eat in quick, hungry bites which to some might seem unladylike, but to her, hunger overrode manners at this point.

Takao alternated his glance between watching his familiar eat whatever meal it was that he'd ordered, which looked positively alien to Takao who had never eaten anything like it, to Mack and Koumori as they exchanged their words. He hadn't said much after his introduction, and although a constant stream of comments entered his head with each sentence either of them completed, nothing ever left his mouth. Instead, he opted to silently observe and take mental notes of those gathered. Grave's introduction was the most informative, and had confirmed Takao's theory of his nationality, while Mack's wasn't far behind. He had his own guesses on the others based on their names and appearances, yet Rose remained an oddity. The brunet's curiousity was like a wild fire, practically unstoppable once the fires of his inquisitiveness were lit. Thankfully he had the mind to keep the questions he wanted to ask from slipping out. The shrill whistle that Grave had subjected the group to also helped to snap him out of it.

"If you guys are gonna keep arguing like that, you might as well just head out now and get the duel over with." There wasn't any hostility in his voice, and his just barely showed a hint of annoyance. He was fully aware that it was completely unnecessary for him, or really any of them to act as some kind of mediator for the two, and yet he still did. Perhaps he felt some kind of responsibility as a more experienced player, or maybe he'd just taken his guild's purpose to heart faster than anticipated. "There's an amphitheater near here that you two can use. It'll be better than fighting in the streets."

My comment got me the exact opposite result that I had wanted to get. Instead of just talking it out, they began to fight again. I kept the same position in my seat as I did before I asked my question, except now a giant smirk lay across my face. I was done fighting against their feud. It was like trying to win a holy war, it just doesn't happen. On another note, i was able to find out the ages of my fellow companions. Mack was the oldest and was a sergeant to the good old army of the United States. Being born in Canada, I didn't share the same patriotism for the Tycoon of a country. Being dragged to the US wasn't ideal and i planned on moving back to my mother country as soon as possible. Granted living in the States had its perks. The world outside this one seemed so far away now. But nevertheless, I continued to listen to the war of stupidity going on between the two. That was, until IT happened. An ear piercing screech came from nowhere. I was so startled by this that i fell backwards in my chair. The knife slipped from my hand. I braced for impacted. Luckily, the knife landed on the floor beside me, and not in my eye. I got up from the floor and brushed myself off. I looked to the others who were all staring at Grave, whom had a whistle in his mouth. It seemed as if everyone had suffered a slightly less traumatic experience that i did. "Ah come on Grave" i said. "One of them was just about to shut up the other". I picked the chair back up and sat back down. From the responses that were going around the table, a duel looked like it was going to occur. How exhilarating!...