Regarding Player Run Mob Loot

Go to solution Solved by Starrine,

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right place for this discussion. If it isn't, feel free to move the thread as you see fit.

I wanted to get a dialogue going about the current requirements for mobs to drop loot. Currently, for a mob to drop loot, its health must be both [floor health x 2] and [half the health of the highest level player in the thread]. That is outlined in the new guide ("For any mob to drop loot; it's HP must be at least half that of the highest level player's HP in the party.") and the old ("and at least half the health of the highest player in the thread.").

Let me begin by saying I absolutely understand the reasoning behind these rules. Having these rules in place prevents high-level players from cutting down easy mobs just to harvest materials. However, with the way that the rule is currently written, it also makes it incredibly difficult for low-level and high-level players to engage in combat together. For example, I am currently writing with three low-level players. They are each fighting their own low-level monsters, all of which meets the requirements for their levels. However, the moment I enter the thread, none of their kills result in any loot. With this system, the only way players with enormous level gaps can only safely fight together is if the higher level player has a hate-generating ability. That's not always practical.

The first rule (floor health x 2), is entirely fine. I want to suggest making a slight change to the second rule. Rather than making it highest level player in the party/thread, why not have it be highest level player that is fighting that particular mob? The moment a higher level player intervenes, the loot is no longer dropped. This will prevent high-level players from swiping in to harvest materials while still allowing players of all levels to fight together.

This way, high-level and low-level players can still fight side by side. A level 5 can fight a wolf with 12HP, and a level 30 player can fight a wolf with 50HP, both in the same thread. Not only will that increase the amount of low level/high level threads (something I think the site sorely needs), but it will also lead to better story-writing and more guidance from more established players.

I'm not necessarily insisting that this rule change take place - I'd just like to see a discussion on the matter, or maybe a reason why the rules should remain the way that they are.

Thanks!

Edited by Lessa

Hello there!

Let me kick this off and say, I agree with most of what you're saying here.  In my RP with Starrine, I try to teach her the fundamentals of the system, but since I was technically a level 11 teaching a level 1 to fight a boar with 3 HP, she didn't get the loot.  Though, in hindsight, I could have just taught her everything in a PM, but that doesn't work for everyone.  People like to learn by experience, but the loot system is trickier.  

You have to either have a weak enemy that gives nothing back and hope that you get a 15 LD for non-combat loot, or a lootable beast that could one hit a new character.

Now, there is one thing that I would like to say about that: scaling!  As far as I've seen, most mobs that I've seen people create, they actually don't scale them to the health.  I've seen mobs that are scaled to the highest character, but the mob is maybe only doing +1 DMG more than it usually does, or they don't scale it at all.  I know I've done it in a thread or two, and can understand why.  If I tried that while RPing with someone, or soloing, Cardinal/Diceroller would kill them/me.

I'm getting off topic...

Anyway, the HP rules do seem like they could have a rewrite, but there are already too many loopholes through them.

@Starrine  Thank you....Add 1 mat to your pack.

Edited by Hirru

Starrine, I certainly hope that's the case! I'd love to hear back from staff, and maybe see clarification in the guide itself. :)

Hirru, I absolutely agree with you! I strive to scale all of my monsters, especially when it comes to the damage they deal and partial phase. But when you're working with a player who only has 10 health and 1 damage per hit, it can still be a dangerous situation!

• 2 weeks later...