In regards to dual wielding

To put it simply, if you can't use any sword arts while dual wielding. Exception being with the Dual Blades unique skill, which has its own set of sword arts.

Shall I take that as that as long as long as I am not using a sword art, I could have two one-handed swords and do 16 damage in one turn as a base attack? (5 skill and 3 enhance)

The cap for damage enhancements across all equipment is still 3, regardless of however many weapons you might be wielding. At best, you could pull off something to the effect of a +2 DMG/+1 Bleed, +2 Paralyze/+1 Bleed combination with a +1 DMG familiar. 

Of course, you'd basically have to pray for a roll of 8 or above to do anything of significance, but it'd probably be your best bet for a non-Sword-Art-using build. 

Shall I take that as that as long as long as I am not using a sword art, I could have two one-handed swords and do 16 damage in one turn as a base attack? (5 skill and 3 enhance)

Azide is right about the damage caps. So yeah, it could be a feasible thing to do a non sword art build, but you're basically gimping your damage potential.